Zion Lutheran Church of Hamill


After two failed attempts to organize a Swedish Lutheran Church at Hamill, the Scandinavians in and around Hamill were called together on May 4, 1913 for a Swedish worship. Immediately after the worship a business meeting was held and Zion became a new congregation in pastorate with Dallas. The first pastor was J.J. Richards and he served both congregations, having some 40 miles to travel between the two congregations. In 1914 two lots were purchased to build a church.

In 1921 worshiping changed from Swedish to American and the church separated from Dallas. In 1923 a parsonage was built. In 1926 the Hamill public school building was purchased and used for church activities. This building was later purchased by Leonard Ziegler and was moved to his property by the old bank building.

The church celebrated its 25th anniversary in 1938. In 1961 - 1962 the church was completely remodeled, being put on a new foundation with full basement and an addition to each end. It was completed for the 50th anniversary of Zion Lutheran Church in July of 1963.

In 1972 the church became affiliated with the Missouri Synod and a 3 - point parish that consisted of Redeemer at Clearfield, Christ Lutheran at Winner and Zion Lutheran of Hamill.

In 1988 the church was resided, painted inside and made ready for the 75th anniversary in July of 1988. Through the years membership has risen and declined. Now there is quite a steady membership and services are held every Sunday.

Picture and information courtesy of the
Tripp County Historical Society Archives


  • Return to Homepage