Genealogy, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, Pioneer,Saskatchewan history, Temperance Colony, Temperance Colonization Society, Pioneers,John N. Lake, John Lake, Saskatoon history, Saskatoon Gen Web,

NARRATIVES OF SASKATOON


1882-1912

Genealogy, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, Pioneer,Saskatchewan history, Temperance Colony, Temperance Colonization Society, Pioneers,John N. Lake, John Lake, Saskatoon history, Saskatoon Gen Web, Genealogy, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, Pioneer,Saskatchewan history, Temperance Colony, Temperance Colonization Society, Saskatoon history, Saskatoon Gen Web


 
         substituted, much to the disgust, incidentally, of the older inhabitants
         James Leslie, James D. Powe and James Clinkskill were in 1902 Trustees of
         some years' standing, the School District containing now the villages of
         Nutana and Saskatoon.
		 
            The following year, generally memorable as the year of the coming of
         the Barr Colonists and to the writer as being his first year of engagement
         as secretary to the Board, that serious problem of accommodation which
         was to tax the resources of the Trustee Boards for many years to come
         began to present itself in earnest. Confident of the impending growth of
         the village of Saskatoon, these trustees considered the advisability of en-
         tering upon a building programme affording provision for future contin-
         gencies as well as the present evident requirement.  Residents on the East
         side of the river, looking with some apprehension upon the rumors of large
         expenditures, signified their desire to draw away, proposal being made
         that the school district be divided, and this was actually affected in July,
         1903, the river dividing the lands of the two districts. The new district took
         the title Nutana School District and was numbered 869, its Trustees Board
         took office in August, the secretary continuing to act for both districts.
		 
            These districts remained apart for about five years. In 1905 the Nutana
         District, after conducting school in the old stone building and in rented
         rooms was constrainsed to build. Debentures for $9000 were issued and a
         building of two rooms: with view to future enlargement, was erected, its
         walls of cement block, then a material coming into favor. In 1907 proposals
         were made for reuniting the districts, but did not materialize. The railway
         town of Sutherland demanding accommodation for its pupils in 1908, a
         frame building was provided there, upon one of the sections added to the
         north side of the district in the adjustment of territory in 1901, and now
         within the boundaries of the Nutana District. The cement block building
         not proving a success, and accommodation being needed for some classes
         again occupying rented rooms, the Nutana Board entered into plans for
         building the present Victoria School. Only five lots, upon which the first
         school was standing, were at that time owned and it was necessary to
         follow the example being set across the river in securing ample playground
         room. The remaining lots in that block were secured for the sum of
         $600.00, a price considered at that time somewhat extravagant. Before the
         Board had proceeded further than to adopt plans committing it to the
         building of the Victoria School, it was thought well to accept terms for
         amalgamation, which was concluded in April 1909.
		 
            Meanwhile, the problems arising from the rapid growth of the town
         across the river was keeping the School Board engaged with a continuous
         building problem. At the time of the separation of the two districts,
         Saskatoon became a town and the school board required five trustees.
         Messrs. Leslie and Clinkskill remained in office, Prank Oliver, Dr. Wil1ough-
         by and James Flanagan were added. The problem immediately confronting
         them was one demanding courageous action. In recent times a money bylaw
         for $1200.00 had been contested. Possibly at no time has the Board been
         called upon to make decision comparatively so momentous as that by which
         this Board agreed to an expenditure of $14,000.00 At that time the pro-
         ceeding necessary to obtain consent of the ratepayers was simple. It re-
         quired only that notices of the Board's intention should be posted in parts
         of the district, silence giving consent. The town was as yet so small that
         the details of assessment were gathered in a forenoon, the house standing
         farthest out being at the corner of 21st Street and 3rd Avenue. This Board
         not only assumed the responsibility of committing the district to this fi-
         nancial burden but with considerable daring acquired the site of the
         present City Hall, three blocks north of the town buildings, and the first
         four rooms of the King Edward School were put under way, to be occupied
         in 1904.
		 
            The tale for the next few years is one of rapid expansion. In 1906 and
         1907 the capacity of this school was doubled and the first four rooms of the
         Alexandra School commenced, in the village of Riversdale then developing
         West of the railway line, and the bonded debt of the district rose to
         $50,000.00. To this, $35,000.00 was added in 1908, and the Alexandra
         
                                      Page   87
         
         

Home
BackBack ......................Home ......................NextNext



NARRATIVES OF SASKATOON


1882-1912


Genealogy, Saskatoon, Pioneer, Saskatchewan history, Temperance Colony, Temperance Colonization Society, Pioneers,John N. Lake, John Lake, Saskatoon history, Saskatoon Gen Web, Saskatoon Genealogy
BY
MEN OF THE CITY

PREPARED BY A COMMITTEE OF THE HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
OF SASKATOON

PUBLISHED BY THE
UNIVERSITY BOOK-STORE


Visitor # 1796

Web Master: Saskatoon Gen Webmaster,

for Saskatoon Gen Web Project

Re-published : Sunday, 30-Jan-2005 22:19:28 MST

URL: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sksaskat/NarrativesOfSaskatoon/87.html

Guestbook



We encourage links to this page.

URL: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sksaskat/NarrativesOfSaskatoon/87.html

These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed Web master with proof of this consent.Athough we strive to ensure the accuracy of all information on this site, Saskatoon Gen Web is not responsible for errors or omissions of information contained within.