|Page under construction. Please use general topics too.|
kommun is located on the coast in
eastern part of province Västerbotten,
Västerbottens län (AC). Part of Luleå stift (diocese).
Pop: 73 647 (1980).
|Map of parishes AC län|
|Kalvträsk||Kågedalen||Lövånger||S:t Olov||S:t Örjan||Skellefteå lfg|
|Ceased:||Skelleftehamns kbfd||Skellefteå sfg||Ytterstfors bruksfg|
|Kommun||home page||Current and historical info||S|
|History||The Skellefteå area has been a mining area since several hundred years. In 1918 very large metal ore resources were discovered (mainly copper but also gold and arsenik) and the area expanded greatly as the mining industry grew. The major mines are in Boliden area some 40 km inland from Skellefteå city and the iron processing plants are located closer to the coast. See more in parish histories below|
|Churches||Descriptions (RAÄ)||Swedish state church buildings||S|
|Parish history||This is a bit complicated with
several reorganizations so here is an overview (simplified
- for exact details see the respective parishes below):
The original parish Bygdeå covered a vast, sparsely populated area. About 1320 a large Skellefteå parish along the coastline was split off. This was successively split to form several new parishes: Piteå (today in Norrbotten province), Lövånger, Burträsk, Norsjö (in Lappland province). As the iron processing grew a separate Ytterstfors parish was split off - later named Byske - which split off Fällfors. As Skellefteå town grew that area was split off as Skellefteå stadsfg ("town parish") and the remainder was named Skellefteå landsfg ("rural parish"). Later Bureå and Kågedalen were split off. The growing mining area in Boliden was then separated.
Skellefteå stadsfg soon grew and was split in two: forming today's S:t Olov (the city) and S:t Örjan (the Harbour area).
|Skellefteå city||Received city privileges in 1845. Pop: about 31 000 (1980). The city centre is in S:t Olov parish.|
|S:t Olov||SCB# 248201. The Skellefteå
city centre parish. History: see Skellefteå
stadsfg. Pop: 17 036 (1980). Church built in
Church books: Birth: 1913-, HFL: 1913-. Earlier archives: see Skellefteå landsfg.
|S:t Örjan||SCB# 248202. Created in 1961 from the harbour town Skelleftehamn area in Skellefteå stadsfg. Church built in 1935. Pop: 7 757 (1980). Church books: Birth: 1937-, HFL: 1932-.|
|Bureå||SCB# 248203. Created on 1922-01-01 from part of Skellefteå landsfg. Located S of Skellefteå city. Before 1974 its own kommun. Pop: 4 238, 2 000 in Bureå town. (1975). Church built in 1920. Church books: Birth: 1921-, HFL: 1919-.|
|Skellefteå lfg||SCB# 248204. Created as
Skellefteå parish about 1320 from part of Bygdeå. In the 1320's
split off Piteå parish.
In mid 1350's split off Lövånger.
In 1606 split off Burträsk. In
1811 created Norsjö kapellag
within the parish but this area was split off as Norsjö parish in 1834. On
1838-05-01 split off Ytterstfors. On
1913-05-01 split off Skellefteå
stadsfg. On 1922-01-01 split off Bureå.
On 1933-01-01 split off Kågedalen.
On 1957-11-01 split into Skellefteå lfg kbfd and Bolidens
kbfd. On 1962-01-01 the Bolidens kbfd was split off as Boliden parish and the remaining
Skellefteå lfg kbfd was renamed Skellefteå lfg. Today the
socken includes the rural area west and south of
Skellefteå city. Pop: 19 070 (1980). The
neo-classical cross church was built in 1795-1800, partly
on 15th century foundations. Interesting middle age wood
sculptures are preserved. Around the church there is a
small village with about 150 small houses (400 apartments)
created at the beginning of the 19th century to accommodate
the church visitors who travelled far. Until the expansion
of Skellefteå city this was the largest town in the area.
Church books: Birth: 1699- (gap 1843-52), HFL: 1724-. All books were more or less damaged by fire on 1901-10-09. Some books are transferred to S:t Olov.
|Boliden||SCB# 248205. Created on 1962-01-01 from Bolidens kbfd (created on 1957-11-01) which was part of Skellefteå landsfg. Pop: 3 292, (2 500 in the town area) (1975). Mining industry 1926 - 1967.|
|Kågedalen||SCB# 248206. Created on 1933-01-01 from part of Skellefteå landsfg. Church built 1929-32. Pop: 4 491 (1978).|
|Byske||SCB# 248207. Created on
1838-05-01 as Ytterstfors bruksförsamling
from part of Skellefteå landsfg, mainly the
industrial area - hence "bruks-fg". In 1875
renamed Byske. On 1913-01-01 split off Fällfors.
Previously in Byske kommun with Fällfors parish. Pop:
4 374, 1 500 in Byske town (1974).
Church books: Birth: 1838-69, 1875-, HFL: 1846-.
|Fällfors||SCB# 248208. Created on 1913-01-01 from part of Byske fg along Byske älv (river). Pop: 1 310 (1976).|
|Jörn||SCB# 248209. In 1834 created
within the newly created Norsjö parish. On 1926-01-01
split into Jörns västra kbfd and Jörns östra kbfd but
rejoined on 1941-12-31. Pop: 3 084, 1 450 in Jörn
town (1977). The old wooden cross church was built in
1854-55. The new church, S:t Mikael, built in 1960.
Church books: Birth: 1849-, HFL: 1831-. Births 1834-48 recorded in Norsjö birth book !
|Lövånger||SCB# 248210. Early created as kapell within Skellefteå landsfg but
separated in the 15th century. The old church village had
over 300 cottages. Stone church from 15th century. Pop:
3 020 (1978).
Church books: Birth: 1691-, HFL: 1705-.
|Burträsk||SCB# 248211. Created in 1606
from part of Skellefteå landsfg. Split off Kalvträsk on 1919-05-01. Located SW of Skellefteå city. Pop: 5 687 (1975). The church village,
named Kyrkbyn, was almost destroyed by fire and then
converted to a municipalsamhälle in 1930. Church,
built in 1817, was destroyed by fire in 1945 but a new one
was erected soon after. Until 1974 Burträsk was its own kommun
including Burträsk and Kalvträsk parishes.
Church books: Birth: 1740-, HFL: 1710-.
|Kalvträsk||SCB# 248212. Created from part of Burträsk on 1919-05-01. Pop: 369 (1977).|
|Skellefteå sfg||Created on 1913-05-01 from part of Skellefteå landsfg. On 1937-01-01 split into Skellefteå kbfd and Skelleftehamns kbfd. In 1961 split off S:t Örjan (mainly former Skelleftehamns kbfd) and renamed the remainder as S:t Olov (mainly former Skellefteå kbfd).|
|Skelleftehamns kbfd||Created on 1937-01-01 from part of Skellefteå stadsfg. In 1961 absorbed by S:t Örjan. Archives transferred to S:t Örjan.|
|Family Data||Space for YOUR family data !||Mail us|
SCB# = SCB Id number. RAÄ = Riksantikvarieämbetet. "kbfd" =
kyrkobokföringsdistrikt = church reg. district, "fg" =
församling, "lfg" = landsförsamling,
"sfg" = stadsförsamling.
Page produced by F Haeffner. Want improvements of this page ? .. Mail me your contribution or request.
|Last updated by||F Hae||2005-06-04 10:27||© Fredrik Haeffner, 2001-2|