The Perry Family Bible
The following is an exact transcription of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) of Virginia Historical Inventory
Researched by: Margaret Jeffries, Culpeper, Virginia
December 9, 1937
1. SUBJECT: The Perry Family Bible
2. LOCATION: At the Perry Home, #605 South Main Street, Culpeper, Virginia
3. DATE: 1847
4. OWNERS: Mr. Edward S. Perry, Miss Anna Lee Perry and Miss Kate Flint Perry, Culpeper, Virginia
5. DESCRIPTION: This Bible measures about eleven and one half inches by nine inches, and is about three and one half inches thick. It is bound in leather, with the lettering impressed in the leather. It is illustrated with large full page cuts. There are a few loose pages, but the book is in very good condition.
6. HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE: The inscriptions are as follows:
Lucy M. NELSON was born December 25, 1829
George E. NELSON was born September 8, 1849
James J. NELSON was born February 1851
Martha A. EGGBORN was born the 25th of July 1819
George P. PERRY was born Thursday morning the 22nd of November 1838
Ella A. PERRY was born Tuesday morning, the 6th of April 1841
John T. PERRY was born the 31st of January 1846
Isaiah Perry ROYSTON was born Sunday evening, March 10th 1867
Claude E. ROYSTON was born June 1st 1869
Born March 9, 1909, William Oswald PERRY, Jr.
Isaiah C. PERRY and Martha Ann EGGBORN were married on the 24th of October 1837
Married in 1905, Nancy M. TATE to William Oswald PERRY
John W. ROYSTON and Ella A. PERRY were married the 12th of June 1866
John T. PERRY and Nannie P. FLINT were married on the 12th of November 1874
Married December 31, 1931, Mary Frances PERRY and Philip MURNO
Perry J. EGGBORN died the 29th of June 1866
George EGGBORN died the 4th of September 1848
Lucy Mildred NELSON died September 1852 (Born December 25, 1829)
Arthur B. NELSON died October 5th 1854. Aged 32 years, 5 months and 14 days
Isaiah C. PERRY died the 5th of March 1866
Martha A. PERRY died the 30th of July 1887 at about 9 o'clock P. M. (Born the 25th of July 1819)
George P. PERRY died October the 13th 1895 (Born the 22nd of November 1838)
Died on the 17th of April 1904, Ella A. ROYSTON, in the 64th year of her age
J. Taylor PERRY died July 18, 1911, at 4:30 A. M.
W. O. PERRY died December 7, 1912 at 8:50 A. M.
Died at 4 A. M., April 12, 1934, Claude E. TOYSTON (sic)
8. SOURCES OF INFORMATION: The Bible itself.
Return to Bible Index
Return to Up a Tree Home Page
Return to VAGenWeb Culpeper County