The John R. Tobin Bible
The following is an exact transcription of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) of Virginia Historical Inventory
Researched by: J.P. Thompson, Rapidan, Virginia
December 13, 1937
1. SUBJECT: The John R. Tobin Family Bible
2. LOCATION: At "Laurel Hill" 4 miles northwest of Rixeyville on Route #640, thence southwest on Route #627 .5 mile, thence south on private road .5 mile to "Laurel Hill"
3. DATE: 1818
4. OWNERS: John R. Tobin, Rixeyville, Virginia
5. DESCRIPTION: This Bible is leather bound, and measures ten and one fourth inches, by nine inches, and three inches in thickness. There is no Apocrypha in it, and was published by M. Carey and Sons, 126 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
6. HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE: The inscriptions in this Bible are as follows:
Ashby TOBIN was born July 30, 1862
John R. TOBIN was born April 19, 1855
8. SOURCES OF INFORMATION: Informant: John R. Tobin, Rixeyville, Virginia. The Bible itself.
Return to Bible Index
Return to Up a Tree Home Page
Return to VAGenWeb Culpeper County