The W. J. Tobin Bible
The following is an exact transcription of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) of Virginia Historical Inventory
Researched by: Margaret Jeffries, Culpeper, Virginia
December 13, 1937
1. SUBJECT: The W. J. Tobin Family Bible
2. LOCATION: At "Laurel Hill" 4 miles northwest of Rixeyville on Route #640, thence southwest on Route #627 .5 mile, thence south on private road .5 mile to "Laurel Hill"
3. DATE: 1824
4. OWNERS: W. J. Tobin, Rixeyville, Virginia
5. DESCRIPTION: This Bible is eleven and one fourth inches long, nine and one fourth inches wide and three and one half inches thick. It contains beside the regular scriptures, the Apocrypha, tables of texts and passages, tables of kindred and affinity, an analysis of the Old and New Testaments, tables of scripture measures, weights and coins, a table of time and a chronological index of the years and time. It is beautifully illustrated with woodcuts, full page size. The binding is leather, and it was published by Kemper and Sharpless, 93 Market Place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
6. HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE: This Bible contains the follow inscriptions:
William T. TOBIN and Smith M. BYWATERS were married in 1857.
John R. TOBINS was born April 18, 1858
Ashby TOBIN was born July 30, 1842
Birth of Servants
Lavina was born January 28, 1826
Mary Ann was born September 13, 1830
Joseph, (son of L.) was born May 28, 1842
Robert, son of L. was born February 2nd 1844
Ellet, son of Lea was born July 28th 1847
Richard, the son of Mary Ann, was born November 25, 1847
Robert BYWATERS departed this life January 11, 1829
Smith BYWATERS departed this life January 30, 1834
John BYWATERS departed this life February 1837
Smith M. TOBIN departed this life March 1, 1863
W. T. TOBIN departed this life February 17, 1886
S. F. TOBIN departed this life January 22, 1903
Edman BYWATERS departed this life December 29, 1837
Harry BYWATERS departed this life March 30, 1839
Henrietta BYWATERS departed this life March 15, 1858
John R. TOBIN departed this life June 7, 1924
Frances HUDSON departed this life March 7, 1902
Ashby TOBIN departed this life January 28, 1917 at 3 o'clock P. M.
8. SOURCES OF INFORMATION: The Bible itself.
Return to Bible Index
Return to Up a Tree Home Page
Return to VAGenWeb Culpeper County