Stevensburg Baptist Church
Stevensburg, Culpeper County, Virginia
founded October 23, 1833
There is an excellent history of the church in Early Churches
of Culpeper County, Virginia: Colonial and Ante-Bellum Congregations published
by the Culpeper County Historical Society. A copy of this book is
located in the Culpeper Town and County Library. It may be purchased
from The Corner Shelf Bookstore, 213 Southgate Shopping Center, Culpeper,
Virginia 22701. I have a copy of this book and would be glad to lookup
information on this church. Please email
me with your request. The book does not contain church
records, only a history of the church.
The history includes the following pictures:
- Elder Thornton Stringfellow
- "Belair" home of Thornton Stringfellow
- Mr. and Mrs. Joseph T. Norman
- Rev. A.H. Spillman
- the church in 1874
- the church today
- Rev. George W. Hurt
- Miss Laura Hurt
- list of deacons from 1833 until 1982
- list of trustees from 1885 until 1965
Other references for this church include:
- Faust, Drew Gilpin, "Evangelicalism and the Meaning of the
Proslavery Argument: The Reverend Thornton Stringfellow of Virginia,"
Virginia Magazine of History and Biography 85 (January 1977): 3-17.
- Jones, Mildred Conway, "History of Stevensburg Baptist Church"
(mimeographed typescript), 1975.
- Keefe, The Reverend William Randolph. History of Stevensburg
Baptist Church, 1936, Stevensburg, Virginia. Roanoke, Va.:
Economy Printing Co., 1936.
- Norman, Bertha, "History of Stevensburg Baptist Church, 1833-1983"
in Stevensburg Baptist Church (Pictorial Directory). Galion,
Ohio: United Church Directories, 1983. pp. 11-19.
- Norman, J. Thomas. "History of Stevensburg Baptist Church,"
- Stevensburg Baptist Church, Records (MSS), 1833-1927,
Virginia Baptist Historical Society, University of Richmond, Virginia.
The following tombstone inscriptions were made on 26 April
1997 and 10 May 1997. Only two stones could not be read: one because
it was completely worn off; and the other because it had fallen face down
and was TOO heavy to lift.
The inscriptions have been placed in alphabetical order.
The church is located in Stevensburg, Culpeper County, VA. From
Rt3 turn onto Stevensburg Road. Take a right onto York Road and follow
it to the top of the hill.
A B C D E F G H K L M N P R S T W Y
(no surnames were found for letters not listed)
Return to Up a Tree Home Page
Return to Culpeper