GOODSPEED PUBLISHING COMPANY
and has since made that place his home. He is considered an excellent
September 15, 1864, and lived in Nashville until 1869 when he moved
to his present location and entered into the nursery business. He does
a general business and propagates all the leading varieties of each class.
He is doing an extensive and paying business and his goods may be re-
lied upon as first-class. He is very reasonable in his prices and is do-
ing well financially.
Simeon W. Barbee, editor, was born January 9, 1839, in Lawrence
County, Ala. His father, James Barbee, was a Virginian of French
descent and served in the war of 1812, was a breveted captain, a farmer
and spent all his married life in northern Alabama. He had several
brothers, one of whom immigrated to Indiana and settled at Indianapolis
about forty years ago. Another brother, Capt. Tranis Barbee, died re-
cently at his home near Courtland, Ala., at the advanced age of ninety-
two years. Our subject's mother s maiden name was Sallie Ready, an
Alabamian, to whom his father was married about the year 1824. She
was a woman of vigorous intellect and of strong physical powers, as also
was his father. At the early age of twelve years his mother embraced
religion and joined the Methodist Church, in whose communion she
lived and died. She was a Christian in every sense of the term. To his
parents were born eight children-three daughters and five sons-all of
whom in early life connected themselves with the Methodist Church.
Two of his sisters have died, also two brothers. Four of our subject's
brothers became ministers of the gospel. One of these is now pastor of
McKendree Church, Nashville, Tenn., and is receiving a salary of $4,000
per annum. He has been a preacher thirty-four years. One brother, John
A. Barbee, is a regular physician of Texas a graduate from Vanderbilt
University, of Tennessee. His parents were not wealthy and they
taught their children self-reliance and independence of character. They
worked nine months and went to school three months during the year.
At the age of seventeen our subject was admitted to the academy at Som-
erville, Ala., conducted by Z. F. Freeman and D. L. Lakin, and there re-
ceived the training that affected the current of his whole after life. He
began teaching in 1857 when not quite nineteen years of age. In October.
1850, be joined Tennessee Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, since which time be has been pastor and school-teacher. In
August, 1884, he became the publisher and editor of The Reporter, a
weekly Democratic paper, published at Ashland City, Tenn., in which
business he is now engaged. He was married June 6, 1865, to Lizzie
A. Gold, of Montgomery County, Tenn. The fruits of this union are
eight children, four of whom are with the angels and four remain.
John T. Batts was born in Robertson County, Tenn., October 1, 1830,
son of Mary Batts, who was a native of Tennessee. John T. was educated
in the district schools of his native county and has followed the occupa-
tion of farming from boyhood. He settled on the farm where he now
lives in 1866. He owns 190 acres of well improved land, a part of which
is in a high state of cultivation. He has earned all he has by the sweat
of his own brow and is now in very comfortable circumstances. He also
keeps a general merchandise store which is bringing him in good returns.
He was united in maniage to Martha W. Pool, January 7, 1854. She
was born August 9, 1834, and was the daughter of James and Mason
Pool, born in Tennessee. She has borne her husband these children:
William T., Thomas J., James H., Mary A., Nancy, Benjamin W.,
Albert C. J., Alfonso and Van Buren. The Batts family are of Irish
descent and favor Democratic principles. Mr, and Mrs. Batts are mem-
bers of the Christian Church and are highly respected people.
Thomas Bell was born in what is now Cheatham County. August 6,
1830. His parents, Thomas and Judy S. Bell, were natives of North
Carolina, and were married in the early part of this century, and became
the parents of seven children-three sons and four daughters, namely:
John, Martha, Rebecca, Mary, Cynthia, Jessie and Thomas. The sub-
ject of this sketch was the last child born to this union. He attended
the district schools in boyhood and acquired a common school education.
He has always followed the occupation of farming and owns 800 acres
of good and well improved land, upon which he raises principally corn,
wheat and tobacco. He was married fo Rosona Harris in 1852. To
them were born these childien: William T., Sarah E., Henry and Ro-
sona. Mrs. Bell died in 1871, and in 1872 Mr. Bell married Nancy
Williams, who bore him five children, viz.: Mary B., John W., Maggie
0., Nancy and Judas B. The Bell family have been known in this State
for nearly a century. They are good citizens and are well known and
respected. Mr. Bell is of Scotch-Irish descent, a Democrat and a mem-
ber of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Abner F. Bidwell was born in Tennessee October 10, 1839, son of
Charles Bidwell, who was born in Connecticut in 1787, and is of En-
glish descent, a descendant of John Bidwell, who emigrated from Eng-
land in the seventeenth century and died in 1683. When a young
man the father.of our subject came to Tennessee and finally located in
Robertson County, where he made the acquaintance of Mrs. Martha
(Binkley) Shaw, his future wife. She was a German by descent. and
to them were born eight children. Those now living are Charles M.,
Belle G., Sarah B., Frey, Julia A. and Abner F., our subject. The
father died in 1848 and the mother in 1855. Abner attended the com-
mon schools, the Liberty Academy at Springfield, and the East Tennes-
see University at Knoxville. In January, 1861, he located on his pres-
ent farm of 400 acres, which is very pleasantly located on the Cheatham
and Robertson County line. Pinnacle Rock may be seen from his res-
dence, and the bluffs which are covered with evergreens, cedar, laurel
and ivy. Mr. Bidwell was married in January, 1869, to Miss Mary F.
Justice, daughter of Jack and Susan Justice, of Robertson County.
They are the parents of the following children: Emma F., Beuna M.,
Charles B., John F., Ruth M. (deceased), Paul B. and Martha M. Mr.
Bidwell is a Democrat, md he and wife are members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church South.
George W. Binkley, a prominent citizen and native of Cheatham
County, Tenn., was born April 3, 1833, and is a son of Henry and Polly
(Bennett) Binkley, both natives of Tennessee. The father was born in
1784, and the mother about the same time. They died in 1860 and
1843, respectively. Our subject was united in marriage to Miss Nancy
Moses, who was born in Tennessee in 1836. Her father, Henry Moses,
was born in Georgia in 1792, and came to Tennessee when about twenty
years of age. Here he married the mother, Eberline Carney, who was
born in 1812. Her father died in 1878. Mr. and Mrs. Binkley became
the parents of these children: Sarah (deceased), Eliza A., Eberline,
John R., Nancy M., James, William T. and Emma. Mr. Binkley was
reared on a farm, and followed farming for a livelihood until 1862, when
he enlisted in Company G, First Tennessee Regiment, and was stationed
at Nashville for nineteen months. His health was very poor at this time
and he was compelled to return home. Since that time he has been sell-
ing timber, and also farms at different times. In 1834 he moved on the
farm where he now resides. He belongs to the Republican party.
Alexander F. Binkley, M. D., was born in Davidson County, Tenn.,
January 2, 1845. He was educated at the Willwood Institute. In early
life he worked on a farm, and before he was eligible to any office was ap-
pointed justice of the peace in the Second District. In 1866 he was
elected to the same office, and after serving twelve months resigned, and
was soon after appointed county superintendent of public instruction,
and held the office until it was abolished about one year later. He held
the office of county surveyor about three years, and in 1867 began study-
ing medicine. In 1877 he entered Vanderbilt University at Nashville,
and graduated March 1, 1879. He then returned to Cheatham County
and began the practice of his profession, and has met with good success.
December 26, 1873, he was married to Mary I. Boyd, born January 11,
1850, daughter of Walter and Martha (White) Boyd, born in Virginia
and North Carolina in 1798 and 1820. The mother was twice married,
her first husband being a brother of Walter Boyd. To Mr. and Mrs.
Binkley were born these children: Isabel J. B., Martha A., Mildred M.
and William M. Mildred died May 15, 1879. Our subject and wife
are members of the Christian Church and he is a Republican. His par-
ents were Blackstone and Rebecca (Felts) Binkley. They were born in
Tennessee and North Carolina in 1804 and 1807, respectively, and were
married in 1825. November 10, 1863, the father was taken from home
by guerrillas and shot dead. The mother died July 3, 1865. The grand-
parents were born in North Carolina in 1784 and 1789, and died in 1828
and 1859. The great-grandfather, Adam Binkley, was born in Germany
in 1739, and came to Pennsylvania, thence to North Carolina. He died
in 1839. The great-grandmother, Mattie Weller, was born in 1744 and
died in 1812.
Adam Binkly, general merchant, was born in what is now Cheatham
County, February 23, 1838. He is the son of James and Lucinda
(Smith) Binkly and is of German extraction. His father was born about
the year 1801 in Tennessee, and his mother about 1816. His grandfa-
ther was Jacob Binkly who immigrated to Tennessee at an early day
and died in this State. His father died in Cheatham County in 1866.
Mr. Binkly was reared on the farm and secured his education in the
country schools. He came to Ashland City in 1863 and engaged in bus-
iness; has since continued the business in this place. He is one of the
leading merchants of Cheatham County and has been quite successful;
was married in 1866 to Miss Mary Stewart, born in this county in 1850;
have two children viz.: Sammiselle, Inez Leviga. In politics he is a
Democrat. He and wife are members of the Christian Church and he is
an honorable man and a good citizen.
Prof. William I. Harper, principal of the Pleasant Yiew High School,
was born December 28, 1855, in Dickson County, Teun. His father, David
Harper, was born in Montgomery County in 1835 and is of Irish descent.
In 1858 he married Miss Elizabeth Harris and to their union the follow-
ing children have been born: Missouri A., William I., Eudora E., James
W., Richard R., David H. and Benjamin M. All are now living except
the two daughters. Both parents are living near Clarksville. William
I., our subject, was educated at Center Point High School, near the line
of Dickson and Montgomery Counties. The school included a classical
course which our subject completed, after which he engaged in the busi-
ness of teaching. He first taught four years at Collinsville, Tenn. He
was married in 1880 to Miss Maria Lyle, daughter of William and Eliza-
beth Lyle. In February, 1884, he moved with his family to Pleasant
View where he became principal of the high school and has since resided.
Under his supervision the school has become one of the leading institu-
tions of learning in this part of the State. He teaches the English, Latin
and Greek courses and the higher mathematics. Prof. Harper and wife
are the parents of the following children: Granville, born in 1882, and
Eudora L., born in 1885. Prof. Harper is a Democrat but does not take
an active part in politics. He and wife are members of the Methodist
Dr. Hiram B. Carney, dealer in drugs and general merchandise, was
born in Davidson County, March 31,1837. He is of German-Irish de-
scent and the son of E. B. Carney and Unity (Lewis) Carney. His par-
ents were both born in Tennessee. His father, born in 1811, was a
farmer by occupation. He died in 1878. The mother of Dr. darney
was born in 1821 and died in 1852. The life of Dr. Carney was spent
on the farm until at the age of twenty-one years he began the study of
medicine in the office of Dr. J. P. Dromgoole in 1858, at Shelbyville,
Tenn. In 1859 he continued the study of medicine at Ashland City
under Dr. Joseph Hudson, attended lectures at Nashville University
and then practiced medicine at Ashland City. In 1879 he took a second
course of lectures at Vanderbilt University and graduated in 1880. Since
that time he has been doing only an office practice. In Octcter, 1882,
he began the drug business, also general merchandise and is in that busi-
ness at the present. November 20, 1860, he was married to Miss Ten-
nessee Lenox, born in what is now Cheatham County in 1844. By this
marriage two children were born, Ellata and Jenner. He is a Democrat
and was made a Mason in 1872; he is also a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. He is a prosperous physician and for twenty-five
years has been the leading physician of this county.
Enoch Dozier, general merchant, was born in Davidson County Jan-
nary 15, 1849, son of Enoch and Judith (Gupton) Dozier, and is of
English-French descent. The father was born in Davidson County in
1806 and the mother was born in Montgomery County in 1808. The
paternal grandfather of our subject was Enoch Dozier, born in North
Carolina and came to what is now Tennessee about the year 1780, where
he died at the almost unparalleled age of one hundred and five. The
father of Mr. Dozier died in Cheatham County in 1874, and the mother
died in 1875. Our subject grew to manhood on the farm and received a
common school education. In 1881 he came to Ashland City and
engaged in the milling business, which he continued until 1885. He
then engaged in the general merchandise business and stifl continues the
same. He was married, April 4, 1878, to Miss Bettie McDaniel, a native
of Williamson County, born in 1857, and the daughter of Robert and
Clay McDaniel. To this union was born one child, Hugh. Our subject
is a Democrat, though a conservative one, and a member of the Christian
Church. He is a representative of one of the first families of Tennessee,
and is an honorable citizen.
John M. Duke, general merchant, was born in what is now Cheatham
County July 23, 1835. He is the son of John W. and Susan (Bobo)
Duke, and is of English extraction. His father was a native of Tennes-
see, and was born in 1805 and died in 1875. His mother was born in
Robertson County and died in Clarksville about 1835. In 1856 our
subject went to Texas from Clarksville as an artist, and remained there
a short time; he then went to Louisiana and began clerking in a grocery
store; later he returned to Texas and in 1861 enlisted in a company of
Texas rangers, where he spent more than four years in the Confederate
service. At the close of the war he returned to Marshall, Tex., where
he had lived for some time before the war. In 1868 he returned to
Cheatham County and located at Henrietta, where he engaged in the
mercantile business until 1880, when he went to Scott County, Mo.; was
there more than one year.. In 1882 he came to Ashland City, where he
has since resided. He was married, in 1869, to Miss Henrietta Gupton,
born in Cheatham County August 20, 1850. Have four children: Cora
L., Phillip E., Allen J. and John Tandy. In addition to his mercantile
business our subject carries on an undertaking establishment. Mrs.
Duke was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and
died March 3, 1886. Mr. Duke is also a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. Politically he is a Democrat.
Samuel H. Dunn is a son of Lewis and Judith (Mays) Dunn, natives
of Virginia. The father came to Tennessee in the early part of the
present century, and always followed the occupation of farming. He
owned a tract of land in Cheatham County, on which was located the
Kingston Springs, which afford fine sulphur and freestone water. There
is also & spring of chalybeate water on the same ground. He and wife
became the parents of five children: William A. (deceased in 1851),
Thomas IL. (deceased in 1885), James M., Joseph N. and Samuel H.
The father died in 1842 or 1843, and the mother in 1847. They Were
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Samuel H. was born at
Kingston Springs September 10, 1832, and was reared on the farm and
educated in the public schools of the day. He was married to Julia Lee
(nee Asburn), and nine children blessed their union: Lewis T., Lucy S.,
Judith M., John V., Samuel H., Jr., Robert E. L., James N., Elizabeth
(died in 1864) and one who died in infancy. Mr. Dunn owns a good
farm in the Eleventh District. He is one of the leading citizens in the
county, and is a member of the Christian Church.
Abner Edwards was born in Cheatham County, Tenn., January 3,
1818, son of Jonathan and Martha (Farmer) Edwards, who were born
in North Carolina and Virginia, respectively, and were married about
1780. To them were born ten children, of whom our subject was the
fifth. He was educated in the common schools and was reared on a
farm. February 2, 1840. he was united in marriage to Sallie Maxey,
daughter of James and Mary Maxey. She was born September 1, 1820,
and has borne her husband four children: Mary, born March 1, 1841;
Susan E.. born April 26, 1843, and died May 24, 1870; Joseph W., born
November 1. 1845, and died January 8, 1885, and Nancy A. T., born
June 22, 1853. Mr. Edwards owns 600 acres of well improved land and
is very comfortably situated. Mr. Edwards is a member of the Baptist
Church. and his family is much esteemed in the community. His
laughter Mary J. is the wife of W. J. Stewart, and the mother of nine
children; Susan E. was married to William Etherly in 1869; Joseph W.
was married to Samuella Simpkins in 1871 and has one child, and Nancy
A. T. is the wife of James M. Smith and has two children. Mr. Edwards
is a Democrat politically.
James J. Everett is a son of Charles and Lucinda (Stewart) Everett
and was born in Cheatham County, Tenn., January 30, 1840. The father
was born in Tennessee July 12, 1807, and the mother January 31, 1814.
They were married March 1, 1832, and became the parents of seven
children: Mary J., Anna E., Nancy, James J., Martha, Fredona and
Robert. James J. was their fourth child and was reared by them on a
farm and received a common school education. He located on his pres-
ent farm at an early date. He owns 100 acres of very fertile river bot-
tom land, upon which he raises principally corn, wheat and tobacco. In
1861 he enlisted in the Forty-Ninth Tennessee Infantry, and was in the
battles of Fort Hudson, Jackson, Miss., the Georgia campaign and
Franklin, where he was taken prisoner and held in Nashville until the
close of the war. He then returned home and engaged in agricultural
pursuits and January 28, 1868, he was married to Emily Sanders, born
February 22, 1851, and daughter of John and Phoebe Sanders. Mr.
and Mrs. Everett became the parents of six children: Martha J., Mary
T.. Clarence W., Sophia E., Charles B. and Effie L. Since 1882 Mr.
Everett has been deputy sheriff of Cheatham County, and has proved
himself an efficient officer. He is a Democrat.
Jonathan D. Fambrough was born in what is now Cheatham County,
Teun., June 6, 1829, son of Shederack and Agnes Fambrough, natives of
Virginia. They were the parents of these children: Edward, Median W.,
Arlond H., Jonathan B. and Massie. Jonathan was educated in the
common schools, and has always followed the occupation of farming.
He settled on his farm of 375 acres in 1874. He has 200 acres under
cultivation, on which he raises wheat, corn and tobacco. He was united
in marriage to Sarah E. Miles, December 20, 1853. She was born No-
vember 21, 1833, and is the daughter of William and Rebecca Miles,
who were born in Tennessee and Virginia. To Mr. and Mrs. Fambrough
were born nine children: James G., Mary L., David W., William E.,
Mattie R, John L., Robert F., Rufus M. and Georgie W. In 1884 Mr.
Fambrough was commissioned by the government to be United States
mail carrier from Ashland City to Clarksville. He is well respected and
belongs to the Democratic party. He enlisted in Harding's artillery at
Nashville in 1861 and participated in the battles of Shiloh and Fishing
Creek. Some of his early ancestors were soldiers in the war of 1812.
William B. Felts is a native of Tennessee, born March 21, 1863, son
of James T. and Emily (Hooper) Felts, born in this State in 1833 and
1837, respectively. They Were married August 20, 1855. The father
was a farmer, a member of the Free-Will Baptist Church and politically
a Republican.. The mother died May 3, 1876. Our subject is of
German and Scotch descent. and was educated in the public schools of the
county. In 1878 he entered as clerk in a powder-mill company store,
and by his good business qualifications was given charge of the com-
pany's books and made manager of the store. He was postmaster at
Sycamore, and in 1884 entered the well-known queensware house of
Spire & Duff and remained with them over one year. He then returned
to the mills, and has since occupied his old position. He is in excellent
physical and mental health, and is fully competent to attend to the enor-
mous business entrusted to him. January 31, 1884, he was married to
Mary B. Allen, daughter of Dr. G. S. Allen, of Nashville. She was
born in this State November 7, 1864. Her mother's maiden name was
Jeanette Oakley. Mr. and Mrs. Felts have one child, named Hugh Allen,
born December 31, 1884. Mr. Felts is a stanch Republican.
James W. Fielder is a representative of one of the old pioneer fami-
lies of Tennessee, and is of Irish-German descent He was born Decem-
ber 28, 1837, and is the son of James and Lucinda Fielder, who were the
parents of eleven children, our subject being the sixth. He attended the
district schools in his neighborhood, and from boyhood has followed the
occupation of farming. He has been very fortunate in his business en-
terprises, and by his energy and economy now owns a comfortable home
and a farm of 123 acres of well improved land. He was united in mar-
riage to Annetta Frazier, February 8, 1877. She was born December
27, 1852, and is the daughter of Leonard and Susan Frazier, who were
natives of North Carolina. To Mr. and Mrs. Fielder were born these
children: Lizzie L., Minnie P. and James H. Mr. Fielder's political
views are Democratic, and he gives that party his support.
Ezekiel S. Gleaves was born in Tennessee, in 1819, and is the son of
Matthew Gleaves, who was one of the early settlers of this country. He
was married to Elizabeth Smith, in this State. Ezekiel S. was united
in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Lowe in 1856. She was born in 1832
and is a daughter of Gideon and Delana (Dowlen) Lowe, natives of
Tennessee, born in 1801 and 1803, respectively, and died in 1859 and
1863. Mr. and Mrs. Gleaves became the parents of these five children:
Lizzie M., Adalaska, Mary L., Gertrude S. and Petronia L. Our sub-
jects early life was spent on a farm, and at the breaking out of the war
he enlisted in the Confederate service in 1861 and remained one year,
when he was compelled to return home, on account of sickness in the
family. He, however, furnished a substitute before leaving, and then
returned to the home farm, were he lived until his death in 1867. His
widow then assumed entire control of the farm and managed it until
1873 when she leased it for a term of years and moved near the county
seat, her residence being in the suburbs of Ashland City. She is a mem-
ber of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, as was her husband.
Wiley J. Gossett is a son of John Gossett and a native of Robertson
County. Tenn.. where he was born January 9, 1818. His father was born
in North Carolina. in 1775, and was of English-German ancestry. He
came to Tennessee when a young man and located in Montgomery Coun-
tv, where he married Virginia Hutchinson, of North Carolina. They
were among the early pioneers and the father was a farmer. He died in
1868 and the mother in 1869. Wiley attended the common schools and
on reaching his majority began farming, and that has been his principal
occupation through life. March 8, 1849, he led to Hymen's altar Eliza-
beth Ayers, of Robertson County, daughter of William and Elizabeth
Ayers. of that county. To them were born Virginia Tennessee (Mrs..
James T. Wilson), John D.. James B. and Annie L., all of whom are
living except John D., who died in infancy. In 1854 Mr. Gossett
moved on his present farm of about 200 acres. He is a Democrat and
has served twenty years as magistrate of his civil district. He and all
his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and for the~
last thirty-six years he has been an abstainer from the use of ardent
spirits and is now an active advocate of the cause of temperance.
Mrs. Nancy E. Greer is the widow of William Greer and the daugh-
ter of F. P. Sullivan, who was a native of Virginia, and immigrated to this
State, with his parents, when quite small. He first settled in Madison
County, West Tenn., and in 1846 moved to Davidson County. He was a
mechanic by trade and worked at that occupation until his death, which
occurred at his home in Davidson County, in 1882. He was married to
Mary Wilson, who bore him these ten children, viz.: Nancy E.. Willis
J., L. J., Florence G., William C., Harriet and A. B. are living, and
James W., Mary E. and Martha J. are deceased. Our subject, Nancy
was married to William Greer in 1860, and to them were born these
children: W. F., J. W.. Hattie E. and James M., who died in 1867: Mr.
Greer died in 1884. He was a farmer by occupation and owned a fine
tract of land in the Eleventh District of Cheatham County. Mrs. Greer
is now living on her farm, near the N. W. Railroad, and is respected by
all who know her.
James W. Gupton is a son of Eben and Lydia Gupton and was born
in Tennessee January 24, 1844. His parents were born in North Car-
olina, and to them were born seven children, our subject being the sec-
ond child. He received his education in the common schools and since
boyhood has followed the occupations of farming and blacksmithing, in
which he has been very successful. In 1874 he erected a grist-mill on
his farm, and sends out the best quality of flour and meal from said mill.
He is the owner of 450 acres of well improved laud, and is one of the
most prosperous men in the county. October 6, 1872. he was married
to Henrietta (Duke) Gupton, widow of Cave J. Gupton. She is a
daughter of John E. and Elizabeth Duke and was born May 27. 1844.
To their marriage two children were born: Minnie and Johnnie. Mr.
Gupton is a Democrat in politics, and he and wife are members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church. Cave J. Gupton, Henrietta Gupton's first
husband, was born July 17, 1846, and was married to our subject's wife
September 18, 1866. To them were born three children: Bobbie E..
Samuel D. and Cave D. Cave J. Gupton died April 17. 1871. and his
death was mourned by all who knew him. His widow became the pos-
sessor of 200 acres of land and has the same in her own name.
John J. Gupton, farmer and native of Cheatham County, Tenn., was
born June 19, 1847, and is a son of Robert T. and grandson of Abner
Gupton. The mother's maiden name was Martha H. Power. She was
born in North Carolina in 1820, and was married to Robert T. Gupton
about 1835. He was born in 1811. To them were born eight children
-five sons and three daughters. The father was industrious and well
liked by all who knew him. He died October 22, 1866, and his wife
May 22, 1863. Our subject is the seventh of their children. He has
always followed the life of a farmer, and in boyhood secured a common
school education. He located on his farm of 275 acres of land in 1881.
His land is fertile and also well improved. May 9, 1871, he was united
in marnage to Martha G. Gupton, who was born July 7, 1853. Her
parents were Abner and Jane Gupton, natives of North Carolina. To
our subject and wife have been born these children: Robert A., Essia,
Martha H., Charles F., Kindrick and Dempsey A. Mr. Gupton is a
Democrat, and was chosen squire of District No. 6 in 1874. He and.
wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Thomas Y. Hagewood, merchant, was born in this State March 22,
1849, and is a son of N. P. and Mary J. (Carroll) Hagewood, who were
born in North Carolina and Tennessee in 1806 and 1835, respectively.
The mother died in 1883. Our subject was married, in 1878, to Miss L..
C. Smith, born August 25, 1853. Her parents were J. W. and Sarah
(Davis) Smith. Mr. and Mrs. Hagewood became the parents of four
children: James P., born August 14, 1874; Isaac B., born July 31, 1878
(deceased); William T. D., born March 1, 1880, and Sarah J., born
August 8, 1881. Mrs. Hagewood died September 28, 1881, and October
19, 1884, he wedded Miss C. A. Blanton, born February 19, 1865, daugh-
ter of William and Martha (Davis) Blanton, both now dead. To Mr.
Hagewood's last marriage one child was born-Zelma E., born March 16,
1885. Our subject received the education and rearing of the average
farmer's boy. In 1874 he was elected justice of the peace and dis-
charged the duties of that office for six years. In 1882 he opened a gen-
eral merchandise store near the river, and has been quite prosperous.
He farms in connection with his store, and raises principally corn and.
tobacco. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and in politics is a
Mrs. Martha A. Hiland is the daughter of Martin and Hannah (Lu-
cas) Morris. The father came to Tennessee from North Carolina when
quite a small lad. At the call of the governor for volunteers to subdue
the Indians he enlisted, and lost his life fighting for his country. He
was the father of six children. Mrs. Martha Hiland is the widow of
George W. Hiland, who was a native of Burke County, N. C., born in
1799. He came to Tennessee in 1819, settling in the Thirteenth Dis-
trict of Cheatham County. He was a farmer and owned a tract of land
in the same district. He died August 28, 1862, leaving eight children,
four of whom have since died: Rachel H., died January 3, 1832; John
E., died January 13, 1832; Martha M., died January 5, 1874 and
Matilda C., died October 8, 1874. Mr. Hiland was a member of the Old
School Presbyterians, and his widow is a member of the same. She is
now living on her farm at the advanced age of seventy-two years, and is
much respected and esteemed by all who know her.
James W. Hogan was born in Cheatham County, Tenn., January :31.
1818, son of John and Martha Hogan, who were natives of North Caro-
lina. Both their parents were natives of England, and came to America
and settled in Halifax, N. C. The mother's maiden name was King.
She was married to the father December 13, 1792, and came to Tennessee
about three years later and engaged in farming. They were the parents
of ten children, our subject being the youngest. He was educated in the
schools of his native county, and has followed the occupation of farmiug
since boyhood. He was married to Margaret Morgan December 13,
1838. She was born about 1819, and was the daughter of Willis and
Rebecca Morgan. Mrs. Hogan died February 8, 1856, leaving one child
-Amanda. December 31, 1856, Mr. Hogan married Caroline Weakley,
born July 4, 1827. She is a daughter of Jefferson and Jerusha Weak-
ley, who were natives of this State. By his last wife he became the
father of five children: George, Shelley, John, Alexander and Charley.
Our subject owns 174 acres of well improved land, on which he settled in
1878. He. began life with Little or no capital, but has climbed the ladder
of prosperity until he ranks among the first farmers of the county. He
is a Democrat, and he and wife are members of the Baptist Church.
Willis Hyde (deceased) was born in the year 1806, June 17, in what
is now Cheatham County, Tenn. His father, John Hyde, was a native
Tennesseean, and was married to Elizabeth Emberson, who bore him
nine children, our subject being the third. The only one now living is
Mrs. Elizabeth Elliott. The father died in 1838 and the mother several
years previous to that date. Our subject attended the common schools,
and after reaching his majority began farming on the place where he was
born and where he lived until his death. In 1840 his marriage with
Marina E. Shaw was celebrated. She was a daughter of James and
Callie (Pace) Shaw, and bore her husband no children. Our subject
was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and being born here
when the country was new, he grew up with and helped to develop it.
He accumulated a large amount of property, and the farm on which he
lived and died lies near Pleasant View, and consists of nearly 700 acres.
He died July 23, 1882, and his widow and Marvel Z. and Jacksmi T.
Suell, two young men who have been reared by our subject and his wife,
are still living on the farm. Mrs. Hyde is a member of the Methodist
John S. Jones is a prominent citizen of District No. 8, Cheatham
County, and was born in this State June 13, 1847. His parents were
David and Elizabeth (Daniel) Jones, born in Tennessee and North Caro-
Lina in 1816 and 1826, respectively. The mother came to Tennessee
with her father about 1835. She died in 1867 and the father in 1863.
John S. is of English descent, and has always followed the occupation of
farming. In 1871 he was married to Miss Martha A. Weakley, who was
born in Tennessee January 24, 1847, daughter of John A. and Annie
(Wall) Weakley. To Mr. and Mrs. Jones four children were born:
Annie E., born September 7, 1872; William C., born August 4. 1874,
John A., born January 20, 1877, and Levi B., born June 10, 1879. In
1873 Mr. Jones was elected justice of the peace of the Eighth District,
and served four years. In 1876 he moved on his present farm, and also
owns a good farm on the Cumberland River. In his political views he is
Robert Jones, farmer, was born in Cheatham County, Tenn., Decem-
ber 22, 1822, son of James and Martha Jones, natives of North Carolina.
They came to Tennessee about 1790. Our subject was the ninth of their
thirteen children, and was educated in the common schools, and has fol-
lowed the life of a farmer, and now owns 120 acres of well improved
land. March 5, 1846, he was united in marnage to Mary J. Major,
daughter of J. S. and M. Major. Seven children have been born to Mr.
and Mrs. Jones: Martha, Mirana, Fudona, Mary J., John J., William
and Robert D. Mrs. Jones died August 15, 1859, and November 15,
1865, Mr. Jones married Amanda Masters, who was born May 10, 1840,
and daughter of Thomas and Susan Masters, who were born in England.
By his last wife Mr. Jones became the father of these children: Thomas
C. and Francis M. He is a Democrat in politics and a member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church at Clifton. His second wife died February
14, 1872. He is known as an excellent citizen and farmer, and his peo-
pie have been known m this State for many years.
Robert C. Justice was born April 9, 1854, in Robertson County.
Tenn., and is a son of Jack Justice, who was also a native of Robertson
County, born in the early part of this century. He married Miss Susan
M. Fizer, a native of Robertson County, and to this union five children
were born, of whom our subject is the youngest. Those now living are
Joseph A., Mary F., John F. and our subject The father died in 1854
and a few years later the mother married Henry E. Hyde, a native o
Tennessee, and two children were born to them: Sallie and Henrietta
Our subject was educated in the schools of his native county, and also
in the school of Prof. Matthews, at Springfield. At the age of eighteen
he began teaching school, and continued in that capacity two years and
then farmed eight years. In 1874 he moved to Pleasant View and began
merchandising with his brother, John T. They keep a general stock of
goods, and established their business under the firm name of Justice,
Murrale & Co. They also deal quite extensively in tobacco. In 1875
Mr. Justice married Rosie A. Walker, born in Cheatham County, and
daughter of Sterling and Rosie Walker. To them were born the follow-
ing family: Leila L. (deceased), Jack E., Bettie L., Etta M., Maggie E.
and Joseph S. Mr. Justice owns a good farm in Cheatham County, and
in politics is a Democrat. He and wife are members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church South..
John James Lee, clerk and master of chancery court, was born near
Ashland City, Cheatham Co., Tenn., February 4, 1850. He was the son
of James M. and Lotsey D. (Maddox) Lee, and is of English ancestry.
The father of Mr. Lee was born in what is now Cheatham County in
1803. He was a magistrate for twenty-five years, and a farmer by occu-
pation. He died in this county in 1870. The Lee family came origin-
afly from Virginia to Tennessee about 1796 or 1797, and settled near
where Ashland City now stands. The mother of Mr. Lee was born in
Virginia in 1809, and died in Cheatham County in 1884. The subject
of this sketch was reared on the farm and received a common school ed-
ucation. In 1870 he began the study of law at Ashland City in the of-
fice of S. D. Power, and in 1871 was admitted to the bar. He continued
the practice of law until 1876, when he was appointed deputy clerk of
the county court, which position he held for two years. In November
1878 he was appointed clerk and master of chancery court, and this po-
sition has since held. He is a strong Democrat and was married, De-
cember, 1870, to Miss Mary C. Wheless, of Montgomery County, who
was born May 15, 1852. They have four children: Joseph M., Adrian
D., Fannie and Lottie C. Our subject became a member of the Masonic
fraternity, and is one of the leading men of Cheatham County. He and
wife are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
James J. Lenox, attorney at law, was born in what is now Cheatham
County, formerly Davidson, November 23, 1837. He is the son of James
and Judith (Fuque) Lenox, and is of Scotch-Irish descent. The father
and mother of Mr. Lenox were born in Tennessee, the former in 1797,
and the latter in 1810. The Lenor family came originally from Virginia
about 1795, and settled in what is now Davidson County. They were
one of the first families to settle in what is now Tennessee, and have been
known in this State for nearly a century. The father of Mr. Lenox died
in Cheatham County in January, 1880, and his mother in May of the
same year. Mr. Lenox was reared on the farm, attended country school
until sixteen years of age, and then Millwood Academy for two years.
He then entered Union University, at Murfreesboro, and graduated from
that institution in 1859. Began reading law in 1860, and has been en-
gaged in the practice of his profession since 1865. He is one of the
leading lawyers of this county, and since 1867 has had a good practice in
his profession in this and adjoining counties. For about fifteen years he
has been a member of the firm of Sanders & Co., general merchants. In
1860 he was united in marriage to Miss Harriet C. Peebler, who was born
in Davidson County in 1843. By this union eight children were born-
five sons and three daughters: James K., Samuel J., Mary L., Charles
B., Lulu L., George W., Commodore V. and Gracie. Mr. Lenox is a
Democrat, and he and wife are leading members of the Methodist Epis-
copal Church. He is a prominent man and one of the leading men of
George P. Mallory was born March 10, 1841, in Montgomery County,
Tenn. His father, Dr. James Mallory, was born in North Carolina,
April 14, 1796, and is of English descent. In 1808 he immigrated with his
parents to Tennessee, and here he married Miss Sallie Petty, who bore
him three children. The mother died in 1880, but the father is still liv-
ing. George P. Mallory was educated in the common schools, the
Springfield Academy and Stewart College in Clarksville. He aided his
father on the farm, and in the fall of 1861 enlisted in the Forty-second
Regiment Tennessee Confederate Infantry, and was in the battle of Fort
Donelson, where he was captured with his regiment and held a prisoner
of war until September, 1862, when- he was exchanged, and then served
with his regiment until the close of the war, participating in all the bat-
tles in which it was engaged. He enlisted as a. private but rose to the
office of lieutenant, and for some time acted as adjutant of his -regi-.
ment. Since the war he has been engaged in farming up to 1870, when
he beg-an merchandising at Cheap Hill continuing four years. He now
resides at Pleasant View, where he has a general store and is doing a re-
nunerative business. In 1870 he married Cornelia A. Newson of Da-
vidson County. They have two children: James and George. The
mother died in 1879, and in February 1884, Mr. Mallory married Miss
Katie McFall, a native of Indiana. One child, Maud, was born to them,
who died in infancy. Mr. Mallory is a Democrat.
Andrew J. Mayo, a prominent citizen of the First District, Cheatham
County, Tenn., is a native of Virginia, born in 1832. He came to Ten-
nessee with his parents in 1834. His father, James Mayo, was born in
Virginia about 1790 and died in 1836, and the mother, Roxy Mayo,
was born in the same State in 1792 and died in Tennessee in 1835. An-
drew J. was united in marriage to Miss Marilla F. Carney, daughter of
Joshua and Sina (Binkley) Carney, born in North Carolina and Tennes-
see in 1816 and 1813, and died in 1885 and 1845, respectively. Mrs.
Mayo was born in Tennessee in 1836, and has borne her husband thir-
teen children: Martha S., Mary L, Henry W., William A., Jefferson E.,
James W., Adelia (deceased), Melvina I., Calline D., Ledocia (deceased),
Elmore D., Jessie E.. (deceased), and Samuel L. Mr. Mayo spent his
boyhood days on a farm, and in 1877 removed to the farm where he now
lives, and where he raises com and tobacco principally. His home is one
mile from Hike's Ferry Pike and about three miles from the county seat
His family have all been Democrats and he still adheres to those prin-
John T. Moseley was born in Cheatham County, Tenn., March 1,
1832,son of Ned and Nancy Moseley, natives of Tennessee. They were
the parents of these children: Elizabeth, William, John T., Benjamin F.,
Edward W. and Dona. John T. was educated in the common schools,
and in early life was engaged in farming. In 1876 he engaged in the
grocery and general merchandise business near Neptune post office, and
has been very successful in the business. He started in life with little
or no capital, but has succeeded far beyond his expectations. He carries
an excellent stock of goods and is the owner of 150 acres of well improved
land, and has a part of the same in a high state of cultivation. He was
united in marriage to Drucilla Nicholson, February 16, 1860. She was
born June 15, 1843, and is the daughter of G. and Mary Nicholson. Mr.
and Mrs. Moseley became the parents of these children: William G,,
Mary J., Dempsey G., Clarence L., John A., Nancy J., Edward F., Rich.
ard A., Elizabeth T. and Arthur C. Mr. Moseley is a Democrat; and a
representative of one of the early Tennessee families.
Edward M. Newton was born October 16, 1845, in Robertson County,
Tenn, as was his father before him. His father, Edward Newton, Sr.,
was born in the early part of the present century, and has always resided
in the immediate neighborhood of his birth, and his principal business
has been farming. He married Mary J. Wynn, a native of the county,
and daughter of Peter and Orpha A. Wynn, and to them were born seven
children, our subject being the second. Both parents yet reside in
Robertson County. Those of the children who are yet living are
Henry W., Silas W., Orpha A., Eleanor, Andrew J. and our subject, who
was educated in the common schools. During his minority he assisted
his parents on the farm, and upon reaching his majority learned the car-
penter's trade, and later engaged in the milling business, which he has
ever since continued. He built a flouring-mill at Ashland City, one at
Cedar Hill and one at Pleasant View, and has also erected several saw-
mills in this and Robertson Counties, and was ilso the architect and
superintendent of the Pleasant View High School building. Mr. Newton
owns the Cedar Bluff Mills and a farm connected therewith, also a port-
able saw-mill at Cedar Hill. He and his partner, George W. Basford,
are doing a thriving business. May 24, 1870, Mr. Newton wedded Alice
Hyde, daughter of Henry Hyde, born near Pleasant View. They are the
parents of these children: Maggie J., Edward E., Woodson and Eunice
Z. Our subject is the owner of several tracts of real estate, and in poli-
tics is a Democrat, and he and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal
Church South. He enlisted as a soldier in the Eighth Kentucky Cavalry
Confederate States Army, and served with that regiment until the close
of the war.
Sanford W. Patterson is a son of William and Annie (Cunningham)
Patterson, natives of Virginia, born in 1760 and 1790, respectively. The
father was married twice and was the father of twenty-four children.
He died in 1850 and the mother in 1865. Sanford W. has always led the
independent life of a farmer. He was married in 1858 to Miss Sarah A.
Proctor, who was born in 1841. The father was Henderson Proctor and
the mother a Miss Spicer. To them were born eleven children: Mary E.,
Talula J., Nannie A., William T., Martha, Wilson H., Elijah W., Eliza,
Docia, Rebecca and Mildred F. Mr. Patterson located on the farm where
he now lives in 1875. In 1876 he was elected justice of the peace of the
Eighth District, and re-elected in 1882. Two years later he purchased
a saw and grist-mill which he is operating with good success. In 1861
lie enlisted in Company B, Forty-ninth Tennessee Regiment, and was
stationed at Fort Donelson. At its surrender he was taken prisoner and
kept at Camp Douglas seven months, when he was exchanged at Vicks-
burg. He was taken with typhoid fever before reaching Vicksburg and
was not able to reorganize with the company, but joined them at Port
Hudson in December 1862. He was at Vicksburg at its surrender, but
being outside the fort with Gen. Johnston, made his escape. In July,
1864, he returned borne. He and wife are members of the Free-Will
Baptist Church, and is politically a Democrat.
Samuel D. Power, attorney at law, was born in Montgomery County
Tenn., October 7, 1841, son of S. D. and Martha Power, whose maiden
name was Ward, both natives of North Carolina; the former was born in
1799 and the latter in 1798. The Power family immigrated to Tennessee
in 1820, and settled in Davidson County, where they continued to reside
until 1824, when a removal and settlement in Montgomery County was
made. The settlement was made in what was then Montgomery County,
but which is now Cheatham. The family is of Irish descent. The father
of our subject died January, 1832, and his mother February, 1867. The
early life of Mr. Power was spent on the farm. He received a common
school education at the country schools and at Wirt College in Sumner
County. When eighteen years of age be began teaching school, which,
in connection with farming, he continued until the beginning of the war.
During the war he carried on farming. In 1866 he removed to Clarks-
ville, and for some time was engaged in the grocery business and later
carried on the business of a carpenter. In 1868 he was elected recorder
of Clarksville, and held the office one term, and during that time he com-
pleted his legal studies which he had begun in 1850. In 1869 he was
admitted to the Clarksville bar, and in 1870 came to Ashland City and
here has since continued the law practice. He was elected superintendent
of public instruction in 1873 and held the office one term. He is now
county attorney for Cheatham County. In 1853 he was united in mar-
riage to Miss Fredonia M. Major, who died in 1857. Was married again
in 1858, to Miss Sallie A. Duff. He is a Democrat, and was a member of
the I. O. O. F. in 1867. In 1884 he was the Democratic candidate for
senator for this county and Davidson. He and wife are members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is one of the leading lawyers of this
William L. Robertson is a son of S. G. and Nancy (Coon) Robertson.
and was born in Cheatham County, Tenn., July 12, 1836. His parents
were of Scotch-Irish descent and were born in North Carolina. They were
married about 1827 and became the parents of five children. Our sub-
ject was the fourth of the family and secured his education in the common
schools. His early life was spent in working at the carpenter's trade and
he is now following that occupation and farming. He owns 190 acres of
land near Cheaphill. At his residence is located the Neptune post office,
he being postmaster of the same. February 28, 1858, he was married to
Fredonia P. Denney, daughter of Robert and Mary Denney, natives of
Tennessee. Mr. and Mrs. Robertson became the parents of five boys:
Evanda L., William D., George T., Robert G. and an infant. In 1861 our
subject enlisted in the Forty-second Regiment Tennessee Volunteers, and
participated in the battles of Fort Donelson, Port Hudson, Jackson (Miss.),
Kenesaw Mountain and New Hope Church. After his return home he
engaged in farming. In 1881 he was elected squire and re-elected in
1882. In 1885 he was chosen chairman of the Cheatham County Courts
and served twelve months. Mr. Robertson is considered an excellent
farmer, and his family have been known in Tennessee for more than a
century. He belongs to the Democratic party.
Willis W. Sanders, general merchant, was born in what is now Cheat-
ham, formerly Robertson County, January 28, 1835. He was the son of
John and Nancy (Sanders) Sanders, and of Irish descent. The father of
Mr. Sanders was born in what is now Cheatham County, Tenn., in 1814,
and now resides in Cheatham County. The mother of Mr. Sanders was
also born in what was formerly Robertson County, in 1812, and died in
1845. Our subject was reared on a farm and received his education at
a country school. He remained on the farm until twenty-two years of
age, and then taught school for two years. In 1859 he began general
merchandising in Ashland City, and has since continued. He was mar-
ried in 1875, to Miss Mary A. O'Brian, who was born in Robertson
County March, 1845; she is the daughter of Thomas and Rebecca
OBrian. Their home is made happy by five children: Myrtle, Zuleima,
Della, Daisy and Katie. Mr. Sanders is a Democrat, but was formerly
a Whig. In 1866, during Andrew Johnson's administration, he was ap-
pointed postmaster, and has held the office continually ever since. He
is a prominent man of the county, and one of the leading citizens of Ash-
Dr. Winfield W. Scott was born May 7, 1848, in Robertson County,
Tenn., and is a son of Spottswood H. Scott, who was born in Virginia
October 1, 1812, and of Scotch lineage. When a small boy he moved
with his parents to Kentucky, and subsequently came alone to Robertson
County, Tenn. About 1836 he married Caroline Gunn, and to them
were born Martha E., Altha L, John T. H., George R., Winfield W.,
Temble F., Miles and Buo. The father died in 1884, but the mother is
still living in Robertson County. Our subject attended the common
schools of his native county, and received his medical education in the
Vanderbilt University at Nashville, from which he graduated in 1876.
Since that time he has practiced his profession in Pleasant View, and by
skill, energy and perseverance has established an extensive practice.
He has a handsome and commodious residence, and a small farm con-
nected therewith. In 1873 he wedded Elizabeth Batts, who died in 1874,
having borne one child who died in infancy. In 1878 the Doctor married
Ivone H. Woodson, daughter of Peter and Wilmoth S. Woodson. and to
them were born these children: Edith, born in 1879; Maggie, born in
1881, and Clara. born in 1884. In political views the Doctor is a Dem-
Dr. Thomas J. Shaw was born in Tennessee, May 27, 1830, and was
the fifth of seven sons born to Thomas and Sarah (Binkley) Shaw who
were born in North Carolina. The grandfather, Thomas Shaw, was a
native of Scotland, and came to America at a very early period. Our
subject's father died in November 1839, and his mother June 3, 1880.
Our subject attended the common schools in early life, and was engaged
in agricultural pursuits. In 1851 he began the study of medicine with
his brother, Dr. H. J. Shaw, and graduated at the University of Nashville
Tenn., in 1855, and has since been constantly engaged in attending to
his large and remunerative practice, and is considered one of the ablest
and most reliable physicians in the county. In 1869 he located on 232
acres of well improved land, and here he has since resided. May 27,
1856, he was married to Emma Jones, of Clarksville. She was born
February 8, 1833, and is the daughter of Albridgeton and Sarah A.
Jones, who were natives of Southhampton County, Va. To the Doctor
and wife were born these children, viz.: Henry C., Ida M. and Addie.
The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in pol-
itics the Doctor is a Democrat. The Shaw family have been residents
of Tennessee for over a century.
Sterling Shearron is a son of Zachariah and Nancy Shearron, who were
born in North Carolina and Tennessee, respectively, and became the par-
ents of seven children: Mary A., Elizabeth, Wyatt, Thomas W., James
A., Sterling and Nancy W. The father died in 1884 and the mother in
1862. Our subject was born in Cheatham County, Tenn., August 28,
1831, and was educated in the common schools. He has followed the
occupation of farming, and now owns 270 acres of well improved land,
which is situated about two miles east of Cheap Hill, Tenn. In the
year 1853 he was united in marriage to Angeline Stewart, who was
born January 25, 1833, daughter of Dempsey and Mary Stewart, who
were born in North Carolina. To Mr. and Mrs. Shearron were born the
following children: Willie, Ella M., Nannie F., Thomas F., Lizzie M.,
Zachariah D., James A., Joseph and John S. The Shearron family are
among the pioneers of the county, and are very highly respected and es-
teemed. They have always favored Democratic principles.
James Simpkins was born in Tennessee November 20, 1826, and is a
son of Joseph Simpkins, who was a native of North Carolina, born in
1787 and immigrated to Tennessee with his father in 1799. The mother's
maiden name was Mahala Moore. She was born in South Carolina in
1800 and came to Tennessee with her uncle in 1813. Here she died in
1872. The father's death occurred in 1870. James, our subject, was
married in 1846 to Miss Elizabeth Neighbors, born August 15, 1826.
daughter of Warren and Nancy (South) Neighbors, born in South Car-
olina in 1789 and 1798, and died in Tennessee in 1875 and 1859, re-
spectively. To Mr. and Mrs. Simpkins have been born ten children,
whose names are Joseph L, Sarah A., Martha J., James I., Emily E.,
John W., Nannie J., Williamson, Frank and Burton. Our subject is of
English descent and was reared on a farm. In 1856 he moved to the farm
where he now lives. It lies in the Marrow Bone Valley and forms a
portion of the best land in Cheatham County. He is essentially a self-
made man and has acquired the greater portion of his education by his
own exertions, and is one of the leading citizens of the county. Know-
ing the advantages to be derived from a good education he has taken
pains to educate his children. He and wife are members of the Mis-
sionary Baptist Church, and he is a Democrat in polities.
George M. Smith may be mentioned as one of the prosperous farmers
and natives of Cheatham County. He was born July 7, 1845, and is the
fourth of five children born to Aaron and Lucy P. Smith, natives, re-
spectively, of Tennessee and Virginia. They were married about 1828.
Our subject attended the common schools in boyhood and was engaged
in working at the blacksmith's trade at Oakwood, Tenn. In 1871 he
abandoned this and has since been engaged in farming in Cheatham
County, where he owns 225 acres of land. He has his farm well im-
proved, and a part in an excellent state of cultivation. Mr. Smith has
been very successful from a financial standpoint, and has plenty to keep
him in comfort the remainder of his days. February 15, 1870, the nup-
tials of his marriage with Paulina Humphreys were celebrated. She died
April 27, 1878, and in October 1878, he married Elizabeth Hunt. In
1862 he enlisted in the Tenth Kentucky Calvary and served his enlisted
time. In politics he is a Democrat and is a member of the Baptist
Church. The Smith family are old residents of Tennessee, and are of
Louis F. Smith is a native of this State born December 2, 1845. He
is a son of James G. Smith who was born in Virginia, in August, 1809,
and immigrated to Tennessee with his father in 1812. Here he married
our subject's mother, Mary E. Edwards, who was born November 24,
1808. The father died March 27, 1860, and the mother February 1,
1883. From early life they were both members of the Methodist Epis-
copal Church. Louis F. was educated in the district schools of the
county and his early life was spent on the farm. February 6, 1879, he
was united in marriage to Miss Eliza Gupton, who was born in this State
in 1858. Her parents were Calvin and Margaret A. (Page) Gupton.
Mr. and Mrs. Smith are both members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church and he takes an active interest in all their meetings. In 1881
he removed from District No. 7, to his present farm where he raises corn,
tobacco and small grain. In 1882 he was elected justice of the peace of
his district and discharged the duties of that office faithfully and effi-
ciently. In politics he is a Democrat.
Wiley B. Stewart was born in what was formerly Montgomery County,
Tenn., May 8, 1821; and is a son of William and Elizabeth Stewart who
were born in North Carolina. To them were born nine children-
seven sons and two daughters: Martha, David L., William H., Joseph F..
Samuel S., Thomas H., Prudie, James and Wiley B. The subject of this
sketch was the last child born to them. He was educated in the com-
mon schools and has followed the occupation of farming from boyhood.
He located on his farm of ninety-two acres in 1883. His land is well
cultivated and fertile. Mr. Stewart was married to Emily Stroud,
November 26, 1840. She was born September 9, 1824, and is the daugh-
ter of John and Margaret Stroud, natives of North Carolina. To Mr.
and Mrs. Stewart were born these chi1dren: Margaret, Nancy, Tennessee,
William, Osage V., Charles E, Matilda and Ellen F. Our subject is a
very prosperous and industrious farmer and stands very high in the esti-
mation of the people. He is a Democrat in his political views and he
and wife are both strict church members.
B. F. Stewart was born in Robertson County, Tenn, July 25, 1826,
son of Andrew and Margaret Stewart, natives of Virginia and North
Carolina, respectively. The father was born in 1776 and was a son of
John and Mary Stewart. Margaret Stewart was a daughter of Jeremiah
and Elizabeth Morris, and was born September 30, 1793. They were
married in 1821 and followed the lives of farmers, owning 500 acres of
land. The father died in 1850 and the mother in 1871. To them were
born Susan D., Wiley B., B. F., Mary, Andrew W. and Montgomery. Our
subject was educated in the common schools and was married December
21, 1848, to Emily Maxey, daughter of James and Mary Maxey, natives
of Virginia. To Mr. and Mrs. Stewart were born four children: Marga-
ret (deceased), Mary, Columbia (deceased) and Martha L. Our sub-
ject located on the old homestead in 1860 and has been engaged in farm-
ing. He has a comfortable home and he and family are members of the
Clifton Methodist Church and are very highly respected throughout the
county. He is a member of the F. & A. M. and in politics is a Demo-
crat. He was elected magistrate of District No. 5 in 1881, and has
proved a faithful and conscientious office holder.
L. F. Teasley was born in Cheatham County, Tenn., January 6, 1839,
son of Allen and Emma Teasley, who were natives of Tennessee. To
th4ir union these five children were born: Leander, L. F., William H.,
James A. and Mary. The subject of this sketch was the second born to
their union and was educated in the common schools and has always fol-
lowed agricultural pursuits. He owns sixty-two acres of well-improved
and fertile land, which is situated about two miles from Cheap Hill. He
was united in marriage to Mary A. Wall in 1866. She is a daughter of
W. D. and Henrietta Wall, natives of Tennessee, and was born January
4, 1847. To our subject and his wife has been born one child, Emily E.,
born May 27, 1869. Mr. Teasley was elected justice of District No. 5
in 1876, and was a faithful performer of his duties until 1882, when his
term expired. In politics he favors Democratic principles and is one of
the first settlers and best respected citizens of Cheatham County. He is
a member of Lodge No. 255, F. & A. M., of Sycamore, Tenn.
Melvin Tomlin, trustee of Cheatham County, was born near Nash-
ville, Davidson Co.. Tenn., October 4, 1846. He was the son of Major
and Elizabeth (Browne) Tomlin, and is of English descent. His father
was born in Wilson County, Tenn., in 1801, and was killed by "bush-
whackers" in 1864. His mother was born in Sumner County, Tenn.,
and now resides in Davidson County. Our subject is the fourth in a
family of eleven children, and was reared on the farm. When the war
broke out he enlisted in Company A, Twenty-first Tennessee Regi-
ment, Confederate States Army; was wounded at the battle of Murfrees-
boro and lost a limb; was taken prisoner at Franklin, and from there
was conveyed to Louisville, where he remained until the surrender at
Appomattox. He then came home and lived in Davidson County until
1870, and worked at the cooper's trade uiitil 1882. He was then elected
trustee of Cheatham County, which office he filled so successfully that
in 1884 he was re-elected without opposition. In the year 1876 he mar-
ried Miss Elizabeth Harington, who was born in Cheatham County in
1858. She was the daughter of George and Mary Harington. Their
union was blessed by four children, viz.: Major, John, Lee and Effie.
He is a Democrat and one of the prominent men of this county.
Thomas A. Turner, county clerk of Cheatham County, was born in
the eastern part of Montgomery County March 27, 1840. His father
was Michael G. Turner, a North Carolinian, born in 1810. He came to
Tennessee with his parents when but a child, and engaged in the tanner
trade for a time. The latter part of his life he was a trader, and died in
this county in 1863. His father was killed at the battle of New Orleans.
The mother of Mr. Turner was Elizabeth P. Williams, also born in North
Carolina in 1811, and flied in Cheatham County in 1883. The family
is of Scotch-Welsh-Irish descent. Subject was raised on the farm and
received a common school education. At eighteen years of age he began
clerking in a store at Henrietta, and some time afterward began learn-
ing the blacksmith trade; worked at this till 1861, when he enlisted in
Company G, Forty-second Tennessee, C. S. A.; was at Donelson, where
be was captured and taken to Camp Douglas, Chicago, and after seven
months was taken to Vicksburg, Miss., and exchanged. He participated
in the following battles, and was again taken prisoner: Jackson, Atlanta.
Peach Tree Creek, Franklin and Nashville. He was then taken to Camp
Chase, Ohio, and exchanged in February, 1865. At the time of the sur-
render he was sick at Greensboro, N. C. He came home in June 1865.
and in 1866 he began the dry goods business at the month of Harpeth
River, and was engaged in the general mercantile business for thirteen
years, and at the time of his election as clerk of the county court, in
1878, he was a merchant at Cheap Hill, Cheatham County. He pre-
viously held the office of magistrate and county assessor. In 1882 he
was re-elected clerk of the county court. He was married, in 1870, to
Miss Mary B. Pardue, daughter of Littleton J. and Martha Pardue.
Mrs. Turner was born at Cheap Hill, this county, February 1, 1847.
They have seven children: James R., Mattie E., Thomas A., Jr., Rosa
W., George W., Albert E. and Edmond L. Mrs. Turner is a member of
the Baptist Church. Mr. Turner is one of the best county officials and
one of the leading men of Cheatham County. He is a Democrat and
also a Mason.
Rufus S. Turner was born in Montgomery County, Tenn., April 14.
1847; son of Michael Gleaves Turner and Elizabeth P. (Williams) Turner.
The Williams family came from Granville County, N. C. Arthur
Turner, father of M. G. Turner, came from Halifax, N. C.; married a
Miss Gleaves near Nashville; volunteered and accompanied Gen. Jack-
son to New Orleans and was killed during the defense January, 1815.
R. S. turner was reared on a farm; received instruction in the school
of Sterling Brewer; was too young to go to the war, staid at home and
cared for his widowed mother, his father having died early in the war.
Mrs. Turner's property consisted almost entirely of negroes, so the war
left her poor. Rufus went to school four months to J. W. Jones, a Con-
federate soldier, and returned from school in 1866, landing at Dr. G. M.
Pardue's, mouth of the Harpeth, Tenn., $40 in debt and having no assets
save the clothes he wore. He engaged to teach school in Dickson County,
taught two years and was appointed superintendent of public instruction
in 1869, but the office was abolished soon after and he returned to
teaching; took charge of the Male Academy at LaFayette, Ky., in the
autumn of 1869, Where he remained two years; returned to the mouth of
Harpeth in 1872; engaged in mercantile business together with farming
and wood business, and continued until 1879. He then took charge of a
school at Walton Academy in Cheatham County for two years; was
elected professor of Latin and mathematics in Ashland Institute in 1881:
filled this position for four years; entered upon the practice of law, also
engaged in speculating in lands and tobacco. Our subject was married
February 14, 1872, to Miss Mary Rebecca Finley, of Dickson County;
Tenn.. daughter of James Finley, Esq., of Baltimore, Md., and Elizabeth
Bell Finley. From this union sprang two children, Eudora Bell Turner
and Thomas Norman Turner. Mrs. Rebecca Turner died March 28, 1883,
and was buried in Dickson County. Mr. Turner subsequently married his
cousin, Mary Williams, daughter of B. L. Williams, Esq., of Montgom-
ery County. Mr. Turner attributes much of his success, morally and
financially, to the kind offices of three friends, viz.: Dr. James H. Mal-
lory, Dr. G. M. Pardue and Dr. Isaac B. Walton.
Jack E. Turner was born August 29, 1822, in Robertson County,
Tenn. His father, Maj. Jack E. Turner was a native of North Carolina.
and of English parentage. He married Merina Bryan, of North Caro-
lina, and to them were born three children: William K., the late Judge'
Turner of Nashville; Mrs. George W. Cheatham, of Nashville, and Mrs.
Emily Oultaw (now dead). After the death of the mother the father
married Miss Wealthy S. Bryan, daughter of James H. Bryan, of Rob-
ertson County. To them one child, our subject, was born. Maj. Turner
died when Jack E. was but an infant, and his mother died when he was
about six years old. He attended the school of John D. Tyler, of Mont-
gomery County, and the Cumberland University at Nashville and since
attaining his majority has made farming his chief occupation. In 1848
he married Emily Darden, a daughter of Jesse and Amelia (Polk) Dar-
den. One child, Jesse J., was born to them in 1850. He died in 1871.
Mr. Turner's farm consists of 350 acres of very fertile land on which is
erected a commodious residence. He was a Whig until the dissolution
of that party and since that time has been a Democrat. He was in the
late war and served under Gen. Quarks in the Forty-second Tennessee
Regiment, C. S. A. He was wounded at Fort Donelson and after a short
furlough rejoined his regiment and served one year when he was dis-
charged for disability. He is a member of the F. & A. M.., made such
the evening of his marriage.
Michael G. Turner is the son of Henry and Mary Turner and was
born in Cheatham County, Tenn., February 22, 1860. The father was
born in 1839 and the mother about 1843. To them were born three
children: two sons and one daughter Martha E., Michael G. and Henry
H. The father died in 1882. Michael G. attended the common schools
in boyhood where he secured a fair education. In early life he was in
the grocery business in Cheap Hill but in 1880 abandoned this and has
since been engage(l in farming, where he now resides and owns eighty-
seven acres of well improved land, a part of which is in excellent cultiva-
tion. He began life with no capital but his hands but now has a good
home and a comfortable competency. He was united in marriage to
Mary E. Frazier October 23, 1880. She was born November 16, 1856
and is the daughter of Isaac and Mary J. Frazier who were born in
Tennessee. Mr. and Mrs. Turner have one child, named Robert G., who
was born February 28, 1884. They are members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church and the father is a supporter of Democratic principles.
In 1882 he was elected constable of District No. 6, and has filled the
duties of that office in a very creditable manner.
John Tyson, proprietor of the Cumberland Valley Flouring-mill, with
saw and planing-mill attached, was born in Liverpool, England, March
23; 1838, son of William and Frances (Haughton) Tyson, and is of
English descent. The parents of Mr. Tyson were born in England and
both died in that country. The subject of this sketch was educated
at the schools of Liverpool, England. When he was about fourteen
years of age he began serving an apprenticeship at the miller trade. He
came to America in 1857 and settled in Illinois, left there and came to
Tennessee in 1861 and settled at Springfield, Robertson County, until
1870, when be removed to Pleasant View, Cheatham County, and contin-
ned the milling business. In the fall of 1884 he removed to Ashland
City, where he continued the milling business. He purchased the Cum-
berland Valley Mills, in 1884,which have a capacity of sixty barrels per day.
He was married in 1864 to Miss Joella Orndorff. By this marriage two
children were born to them: William H. and John P. In 1878, Mrs.
Tyson died and in the following year Mr. Tyson was united in marriage
to Mrs. Bettie (Bell) Gupton, daughter of Thomas Bell, of this county.
Mrs. Tyson died in January, 1881, and Mr. Tyson was united in marriage
to Miss Mary E. Wall, of Montgomery County daughter of William
Wall. By the last union two children were born: Henry W. and Peter
R. He is a Democrat and joined the Masons at Springfield, Tenn., in
1865. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
He has been quite successful in life and is a prominent man.
George W. Weakley is a native of Cheatham County, Tenn., born
November 29, 1835, son of Thomas J. and Jerusha Weakley, who were
born in the State and married about 1821. To them were born these
children: Mary J., William C., John R., Caroline S., Isaac, Lucinda,
Perlina, Robert, George W., Thomas A., Fredonia, Rufus H. and James
P. Our subject attended the common schools in boyhood and farmed.
In 1858 he became bookkeeper for Felts & Campbell at Carbondale, Ill.,
and in 1860 taught school. In 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate
Army, in the Forty-second Tennessee Regiment, and participated
in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Jackson, the Georgia campaign and
Franklin. He was wounded four times, but not seriously. After his re-
turn home he began farming and teaching school, and in 1866 was em-
ployed by Harrison & Gupton to take charge of a large wood business in
Louisiana. A year later he returned home and was engaged in the dis-
tillery business, the firm being known as King, Weakley & Co. In 1868
he sold his interest and returned to farming. He has 135 acres of good
land, some of it in a high state of cultivation. January 7, 1868, he mar-
ned Alice Balthrop, born February 17, 1845, daughter of Thomas G.
and Maria L. Balthrop, natives of North Carolina. To Mr. and Mrs.
Weakley were born these children: Cora A., Thomas E., Mina L., John W.,
Betty B. and Rufus L. In 1884 Mr. Weakley was chosen justice and
has filled that office very satisfactorily. He and wife belong to the Cum-
berland Presbyterian Church and he is a Democrat and a member of the
F. & A. M. fraternity.
Benjamin L. Weakley is a native of Cheatham County, Tenn, where
he was born September 1,1844. His parents, John C. and Nancy L.
Weakley, were natives of Tennessee and North Carolina, respectively,
and were married about 1826. To them were born seven children:
William D., Fredonia E., Leonora F., Robert L., Martha M., John W.
and Benjamin L. Our subject was the youngest and was educated in
the common schools of his native county. He has always been a tiller of
the soil and now owns 170 acres of river bottomland along the Cumber-
land River. The same is very productive, a part of which is in a high
state of cultivation, producing good crops of corn, wheat and tobacco.
He was married to Louisiana T. Chambless October 14, 1875. She is a.
daughter of M. M. and Lucy Chambless, and was born in 1853. Our
subject is a Democrat in politics and is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. The Weakley family have been residents of Tennes-
see for many years, and are known to be of excellent character and first-
James H. Williams (deceased) was born in Tenn. May 6, 1806, son of
Thomas and Elizabeth Williams, who were born in North Carolina and oi
Scotch-Irish descent. Our subject was the third of their eight children
and was educated in the common schools. He was a very wealthy farmer
and at the time of his death owned 4,000 acres of good land. In 1830
he was married to Mary A. Lowe, born May 26, 1812, and to them were
born these children: Marvel L. (deceased), Mary H., Thomas W., Ann
E., James H. (deceased), Atlantic A. (deceased), Willoughby, Volney
L., Emma B. (deceased) and an infant deceased. Our subject died Sep-
tember 15, 1883, much regretted by his many warm personal friends.
His widow is yet living but is very feeble. Their son, Thomas W. Will-
iams, M. D., was born September 13, 1887. He was educated in the
common schools and attended the Stewart College at Clarksville, Tenn.,
and in 1857 commenced studying medicine under Dr. R. J. Mallory, and
graduated at the University of Nashville in 1860. At the breaking out
of the war he enlisted and participated in the battle of Shiloh and many
small engagements. He was surgeon in the army and was discharged
July 20, 1862. He returned home and has since practiced his profession
and farmed. He owns 385 acres of land. March 29, 1864, he was mar-
ried to Fannie Balthrop, born in 1843, and became the father of these
children: Mary C., William V., Birdie B., James H., William B..
Thomas W., Wade H., Annie and Fannie. Thomas' sister, Mary, is the
widow of Dr. R. J. Mallory, and the mother of eight children. Ann E.
is the wife of George Alwell. They have two children. Willoughby is
a wealthy farmer and owns 540 acres of land. He was educated at
Springfield and married Ellen Stewart, by whom he has four children.
Emma B. is the wife of Col. William Moore, and is the mother of six
children. Volney married Nannie Watkins, by whom be had three
children. The family are all Democrats and church members, and theirs
is one of the oldest families in the State.
Alexander W. Williams was born March 28, 1819, in what is now
Cheatham County, Tenn., and is a son of Thomas Williams, who was
born in Halifax County, Va., in 1775, and is of Welsh descent. He
married Miss Hyde, a native of Virginia, and to them were born eight
children, only Mrs. Lucy Harris, of this county, now living. The wife
died in 1810, and about 1815 their father married Miss Nancy Dickin-
son, a native of North Carolina, whose family were of Swiss descent.
They became the parents of eight children; those living are Alexander,
Lewis L., William and Martha C. In 1801 the father came to Nash-
ville, when it was only a fort, but soon returned to Virginia and then
brought his family to Tennessee. He followed the life of a farmer until
his death in 1843. The mother died in 1855. After attaining his
majority our subject learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed
seventeen years. He then purchased a farm and has since tilled the
soil. He operated a still for some time. September 22, 1848, he mar-
ried Miss Nancy A. Shaw, a native of Robertson County, and to them
wera born these children: John T., James H. H., William B., George
W., Alice 0., Millard F., Sidonia H., Lizzie F., Martha V., Robert L.,
Anna M. and Joseph E. Mr. Williams owns 900 acres of land, and his
home is pleasant1y situated in a hollow near a famous cave spring and
the scenery is very beautiful. Mr. Williams is a member of the F. &
A. M.. and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
He was a Whig before the dissolution of that party, but has since been
Peter H. Woodson was born in the county of Cheatham, Tenn., March
18, 1817 in the house where he now resides at Pleasant View. Peter
Woodson, his father, was a native of Cumberland County, Va., born De-
cember 27, 1770, and was of Welsh descent. November 14, 1799, he
wedded Elizabeth H. Hobbs, a native of Brunswick County, Va., born
December 2, 1780, of English descent. To them were born ten children,
all of whom are now dead save our subject and his brothers, Howell H.
and James G. The former lives in Madison County, Tenn., and the lat-
ter in Johnson County, Tex. The father died June 30, 1847, and the
mother August 1, 1857. They came to Tennessee in 1805, and resided
in Cheatham County subsequent to 1807. Our subject was educated in
the common schools of this county, and at the age of seventeen went to
Nashville and engaged as salesman for J. B. Robinson, a dry goods
merchant, and served in that capacity seven years. He then returned
home and managed the home place and cared for his parents until their
death, after which he purchased the interest of the remaining heirs to
his father's farm, and. has since been a tiller of the soil. The farm con-
sists of 300 acres of land, and adjoins the village of Pleasant View.
September 29, 1847, he married Miss Wilmoth S. Thomas, a native of
Springfield, Tenn., born September 9, 1827. To them was born the fol-
lowing family: Thomas A., Ira E., Walter S., Maro P., Ivone H., Mar-
tha, Archibald, Edith E. and Miller H. All are dead save Thomas,
Maro, Ivone and Archibald. In politics our subject was a Whig, and
since the dissolution of said party he has been a Democrat. He is a
member of the Sycamore Lodge, No. 255, F. & A. M. He and wife are
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.