School at this place is progressing nicely with Mrs Margaret Lou BINGHAM and Mrs Lois NEWMAN teaching.
Good services at the Cabo Community Church Saturday night with Rev Herman Moore doing the preaching.
Mr and Mrs Raymond Young of Memphis visited her sister, Mrs Dewey Pusser and family on Sunday.
Mrs Lena Moore of Finger TN, who has been visiting in Memphis is spending a few days with her daughter, Mrs Dewey Pusser.
Mr and Mrs Guy Cherry spent Sunday afternoon with his parents, Mr and Mrs Hugh Cherry.
Mr and Mrs Dewey Pusser attended church services at Rocky Knob Sunday morning. CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT issue of March 23 1956.
Old Path Baptist Church at Cabo is having a revival October 9-11 2013.
In February 1952 the Chester County Chapter of American Red Cross announced their co-workers for the various districts. H S.Morgan was announced as Chairman for the Fund Raising Drive. District 11 (Carroll Store) Mr and Mrs R A Carroll, Mr and Mrs Robert Massengill.
Post Office was changed to Chester County in April 1882 and closed December 31 1907
The school is mentioned in a Oct 1936 issue of the Chester County Independent.
In February 1952 the Chester County Chapter of American Red Cross announced their co-workers for the various districts. H S.Morgan was announced as Chairman for the Fund Raising Drive. District 13 (Center Point) Mr and Mrs Jim Kelley, Mr and Mrs Floyd Wright.
Deanburg area first settled by a Mr Dean when the area was in Hardeman county. The churches that are a large part of the community are BETHEL CHURCH organized 1840's and PLEASANT SPRINGS CHURCH organized 1879.
Post Office opened September 28 1885 and closed March 21 1894
Mrs J N Sipes has been quite feeble for several days past but we are happy to state that she is now improving. Mrs Mary Owen is visiting her sister, Miss Ella Bell this week. Mr Reuben Jordan and wife have just returned from a visit to their daughter, Mrs Cornelia Siler at Uptonville. Mr J F Jordan our McCormack machine agent is spending a few days with his family this week. HENDERSON HEADLIGHT issue of Friday, May 30 1902.
In February 1952 the Chester County Chapter of American Red Cross announced their co-workers for the various districts. H S.Morgan was announced as Chairman for the Fund Raising Drive. District 9 (Deanburg) Mr and Mrs W L Stewart, Mr and Mrs James A Mosier.
DEANBURG BAPTIST CHURCH, 645 Deanburg Road, Henderson TN in 2013.
Post Office changed from McNairy County at WILD GOOSE to WILD GOOSE in Chester County April 1882 and the name was changed to ENVILLE July 18 1896. The Enville Post office is still open.
In February 1952 the Chester County Chapter of American Red Cross announced their co-workers for the various districts. H S.Morgan was announced as Chairman for the Fund Raising Drive. District 1 (Enville) had Mr and Mrs Harold Ozier; Mr and Mrs J H Frazier and Mr and Mrs J C Kent, Jr.
The FRIENDSHIP COMMUNITY (by name) started in 1846 when the Tennessee State Government gave a land grand of 7 acres to 3 Trustees, one of which was my ancestor, Allen Kincaid JONES. The Church that received the Grant from Governor Brown was named FRIENDSHIP. By September 1846 the Church was organized and they began holding a monthly Church Service. In 1887 the membership was 72, J. S. McGRAW was the Pastor and D. M. MARSH was the Clerk. Church address in 2013: Friendship Baptist Church, 755 New Friendship Road, Henderson TN 38340 (731)989-9416 The Community starts at the Forked Deer River on the South, the Madison County line on the West and all the families along the Mifflin-Henderson Road (Hwy 200 in 2013) and those on the PEDDY-VESTAL Road until one gets far enough North that they say they live in the Mifflin Community.
Some of the different stores in the community have been. PEDDY STORE (35.499129, -88.597303) owned by Andrew J Peddy. It was on the NE corner of Mifflin-Henderson Road (now hwy 200) and the Holly Springs road. It was closed before 1920, but the empty building (without windows or doors) sat there until the late 1940's or early 1950's on its sand stone pillars. Tot JOHNSON STORE (35.487878, -88.600532) owned by Tot Johnson. It was on the NE corner of Mifflin-Henderson road and the South end of the Wells road. The store had a gas pump that consisted of hand pumping the gas into a 10 gallon reservoir near its top and then letting gravity flow the gas through the hose into the automobile (an old fashioned gas pump). This store also sat on sand stone pillars, tall enough that a coon dog could walk under it. Enloe BURRESS STORE. (35.516701, -88.597539) In a modern building, it was located on the West side of the Mifflin-Henderson Road inside the "Y" formed with the New Friendship Road and a very short Burress Road. It sat in the NE corner of this triangle. The Store was later operated by Johnny and Lona Mae SELLS KING as the HILL TOP GROCERY. SELLS STORE (35.517854, -88.607753) It sat in the curve of the New Friendship Road where the Wells Road terminates on its North end. This store was next to New Friendship School property and across from the corner of the Friendship Cemetery. In 2013 there are no stores in the community. The Burress / Hill Top Store being the last to close.
On Friday Evening, April 23 1926 at 8:00 the Eighth Grade Graduating Exercises were held for (1) County Line School. Mr Edwin Burkhead, Instructor. Thelma Roberts, Burke Roberts & Virginia Parchman students; (2) Union Grove School, Miss Eva Peddy, Instructor. Virgil Stewart, Willie Burress, Ada King & Lonnie Carroll, students. (3) Bray's School, Mrs Cecil Johnson, Instructor. Willard Seaton, Helen Maness, Madgie Butler, Myrtle Peddy, Pearl Peddy, Hattie Lee Bray, Amba Peddy & Catherine Seaton, students. Willard Seaton was the Valedictorian. (Hattie Lee BRAY ARNOLD CONE had a copy of the brochure.) The Bray school was on the property of John Bray in Chester Co TN. The location in 1997 is on the Hattie Lee Bray Cone property on hwy 200 (Henderson-Mifflin Road) in Chester Co TN - just south of the road to Friendship. Herschel Peddy, Amba Peddy, Myrtle Peddy, Hattie Lee Bray Cone and many others including the children of Cora Peddy Seaton attended the Bray School. Nola Seaton Webb remembers going to the Bray School. It closed at Christmas time Dec 1928 when the New Friendship School was completed - Nola was in the 7th grade & New Friendship held classes for the 1st time in Jan 1929. County Line school, Bray school and the Union Grove school, near where Lonnie Carroll lived was consolidated to form New Friendship School. The Buckley School on the Wells farm had been closed a few years earlier. New Friendship continued as a school until it was closed for consolidation in May of 1963. (The community is known as Friendship, but the school was known as New Friendship because there was another school in the southern part of the county called Friendship.) Also see the book “The History of the Friendship Community of Chester Co TN” by Lee Nell King for additional Bray School & New Friendship school information.
The Community centered on the two room GLENDALE SCHOOL (35.496998, -88.569236) probably built in the early 1930's. (The Peddy School, (35.486751, -88.573356) farther South in the community was still used in the late 1920's.) Glendale School was used until Chester Co consolidated their elementary schools at the end of the 1962-63 school year. This first grade thru eight grade school sat North of Hwy 100 in the NW corner of the intersection of Glendale Road and Holly Springs Road. When the Holly Springs Road crosses Glendale Road it becomes the Jones Road. The school was heated in the mid 1940's with an upright coal stove. The "Restroom" at the end of separate paths for boys and girls was an old fashion "out house". A kitchen, in a separate room was on the center front of the school with a separate front door to each room beside the kitchen - the kitchen also had a door to each room, but no outside door. (The Kids took their lunch from home when I was going there in 3rd & 4th grade. - usually a split biscuit with something in between.) I was transferred to Glendale in the 3rd grade when I was moved from my Grandparents Peddy to Grandmother Jones. I attended here until Mother moved us to Henderson when I was in the 5th grade. I walked to Glendale, about a mile each way and was usually joined by other kids, also walking as none of the parents drove their kids to school. After the school closed the students were bussed to Henderson to the East Chester Elementary School.
When the school closed the community did not band together to save the school building for a Community center as some other communities did (Chester County Board of Education deeded the various schools to community groups). The School board put the property up for sale by sealed bid. Joyce Jones Pruitt bid $1500, but got out bid. The school building and property was purchased by Henry Thomas and Margaret MANESS JONES. (Neither Joyce or Thomas - cousins knew that the other was biding.) His Mother, Annie REID JONES YOUNG lived in the school for a time with her second husband, Robert Young. Thomas & Margaret Jones sold the property to Ed and Nell JONES FOSTER (Thomas's 1st cousin) and they tore the school down and built themselves a nice home on this corner property. The Foster's decided to return to Memphis and they in turn sold the property to Milton and June CARLTON,
Many families in the community went together in 1966 and built a Glendale Community building on Corson Road at its junction with the Jones Road. This concrete building now has a kitchen and bathrooms.
Holly Springs Methodist Church has been a stabilizing force in the community since 1845. The church is near the western edge of the Glendale Community. A good spring was on the West edge of the Church-Cemetery property that then flowed into Clarks Creek. I drank from this spring as a kid, the spring was just below the cemetery. Clarks Creek Primitive Baptist Church is (on the Eastern edge of the community) on Clarks Creek Road at its junction with the Corson Road. This church was moved to its present location in 1923. Other churches in the community are Oak Grove Church of Christ, 120 Lott Road in 2013 and Frys Point CME.
BELL'S Store and Mill was on the Glendale Road between the Glendale School and the Fry's Point Road. (Closer to Fry's Point Road than to Jones Road.) Bell's Store sold whiskey and other goods. No stores have been in the Glendale Community since 1940, it is just a good place to live and raise a family.
GLENDALE The name seems to have originated in Scotland with GLENDALE being the Anglicized version of its name from Scotland, Gleann Dail. When the school was being build it needed a name, the community came together and many suggested a name and Ruth PEDDY WELLS suggested GLENDALE. Everyone liked the name and it was a unanimous decision to name the school Glendale.
The first school in the community was at Holly Springs Methodist Church shortly after the church was built. The second school in the Glendale Community was the TAYLOR SCHOOL. It was on the West side of the Glendale Road North of the later Glendale School. It was near the top of the knoll at 35.499339,-88.569099. The remains of the foundation was still there many years later. At the time of the Taylor School the Holly Springs Road ran by that location. (Due to serious erosion and problems negotiating the road in inclement weather Hugh Ned Jones relocated the Holly Springs - Jones Road after the school ceased to be used - to it's current location.) Roy Jones 1912-2007 said that he attended the Taylor School. After the Peddy School ceased to be used as a school John Allen Peddy used it as a tenant house as the school was on his property. McCall's School was on the eastern side of the community.
There are several Glendale’s around the USA and a few in other Countries, such as Australia, Canada, England, New Zealand and Scotland.
In the USA we have Glendale in Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, North Dakota, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, Utah and Wisconsin.
We have the Battle of Glendale (Frazier’s Farm), a battle in Henrico County VA in the Civil War. The community in Virginia is at the intersection of Darbytown Road and Willis Church Road. The GLENDALE NATIONAL CEMETERY at Varnia VA is South of this intersection. (When Darbytown Road crosses Willis Church Road it becomes Charles City Road.)
In February 1952 the Chester County Chapter of American Red Cross announced their co-workers for the various districts. H S.Morgan was announced as Chairman for the Fund Raising Drive. District 7, Mr and Mrs Edd Scott, Mr and Mrs George Naylor.
Chester County Fire Dept responded to a Motor Vehicle Accident on Sanford Road October 1 2013. HEARN CHAPEL
Dr John SMITH, an early settler, owned all the land from Montezuma eastward to the Forked Deer River, including the area that became Henderson. Dr John D Smith sold land lots in Henderson - at first called Dayton, after the railroad came through the area. (His son was, Dr T. A. Smith)
Henderson did not exist until the M & O Railroad (Mobile & Ohio) came through running North-South. The Railroad was built in 1856 to 1858 and consisted of twenty-nine miles in present day Chester County. The railroad build a station and called it DAYTON. The M&O was chartered in January and February, 1848, by the states of Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, and Kentucky in the order named. The line was finally completed from Mobile to Columbus Kentucky, on April 22 1861. During the Civil War the M & O RR had all the bridges, trestle work, warehouses and station buildings between Union City Tennessee and Okolona Mississippi, a distance of 184 miles, destroyed - the depot at Henderson Station was burned by Confederate forces or Rebel forces. Dayton later became HENDERSON STATION and after the Civil War just HENDERSON. Dayton and Henderson Station were in Madison County Tennessee, but in 1882 when Chester County came into existence HENDERSON became the County seat, after a poplar election between Montezuma and Henderson, with Henderson winning by a wide margin - 796 for Henderson and 55 for Montezuma.
The first store in Henderson was built by POLK BRAY in the fall of 1860. Another early store was operated by John HUGHES.
HENDERSON Post office changed to Chester County in April 1882 and is still operating. J. D. FRANKLIN was the first postmaster. In 1901 the Legislature passed an act Incorporating the town of Henderson. In 1901 in had a population of about 1,000. T B Hardeman was the first Mayor, H C Ashcraft the City Recorder and M F Ozier the City Attorney. The city was soon installing a water works, sewerage system and laid sidewalks. By the early 1920's the streets were being paved, a hard surface road East and a hard surface road North.
In 1936 H A MORGAN was with the firm of Rowsey and Morgan in Henderson.
About 1950 the multi story Southern Hotel across the RR from Front street burned. The Hotel set at the end of the overhead bridge at the corner of W Main Street and S Franklin Street. I was on the way to Vacation Bible School at the First Baptist Church, located across the street from the Courthouse. When I saw the smoke, fire truck, etc down Main Street I changed directions and spent an hour or so watching the fireman in a futile battle to save the old hotel. I arrived at Vacation Bible School very late that day.
In February 1952 the Chester County Chapter of American Red Cross announced their co-workers for the various districts. H S.Morgan was announced as Chairman for the Fund Raising Drive. District 6 (Henderson) J R Vaughn, Eugene Bingham, Mrs Robert Hardeman, Mrs Jo Miller, Mrs Kenneth Woods, Mrs Della White, Mrs Paul Arendall, Mrs Clifford McCoy, Mrs Howard Mitchell, Mrs W O Bruce, Mrs Allie Frank, Mrs Carl Crowder, R W Stewart, Lattie Averitt, Paul Woods, T H Williams, John Bolen, J L McHaney, Paul Arendall, Elton Rhodes, C H Bolton, H A Steed, C P Roland, Vaudie Plunk, James Williams.Henderson is an incorporated city in Chester County Tennessee at latitude 35.4392 and longitude -88.6414.
South of Montezuma On hwy 225 and south of Silerton Road.
The Hickory Corners School was built in 1914. The property had a large Hickory Tree on each corner, thus the school was named HICKORY CORNERS.
The Old Friendship Road is on the Eastern side of Hickory Corners community.
In the vicinity of Jacks Creek, Hugh ROSS settled at a very early day. He was the father of S. L. ROSS, and was a member of the State Senate at one time. J. F. HAMLETT, John BRUMMER and John CROOK, father of Dr. CROOK of Henderson, settled about 1830. John KOOTZ is said to have built his own house with the aid of his wife and a yoke of cattle. Job TRICE, who is still living, reared a large family. John M. HART, father-in-law of Mrs. HART of Henderson, was an early settler of Jacks Creek. Maj. NEELEY, a prominent citizen, came to Jacks Creek about 1825. Robert McCORKLE, a Methodist Episcopal preacher, Norman McLEOD, and Dr. Alfred TABLER were among the earlier settlers of the place. from HISTORY OF TENNESSEE published by Goodspeed in 1886. A C McCorkle married John M Hart's daughter and operated a store in Jacks Creek for many years.
JACKS CREEK Post Office changed to Chester County in April 1882 and is still operating. In January 2014 new hours for the Jacks Creek Post office was announced. It will be open 4 hours per day during the week and two hours on Saturday.
JACKS CREEK BANK, Member F. D. I. C, Jacks Creek Tennessee. Friday night November 13 1936 burglars broke into the bank and stole $1585 from the vault. Mr W H Pierce was the Cashier and he is shown with the safe that was broken into and is now not repairable. In December 1936 the Bank advertised that they were in the business of making loans.
In February 1952 the Chester County Chapter of American Red Cross announced their co-workers for the various districts. H S.Morgan was announced as Chairman for the Fund Raising Drive. District 2 (Jacks Creek) Miss Eliza Smith, Mr and Mrs J H Tignor.
In 2014 C & R Grocery is on Highway 100, Jacks Creek TN. Also a Bar B Que Restaurant is at the corner of Hwy 22A & Hwy 100.
On an 1882-1888 Atlas, Jester is about 1/2 way between Deanburg and Montezuma. Jester is just East of the road that ran from Jackson through Deanburg then through Montezuma to McNairy Station to Purdy.
Knippers Laurel Hill Grocery is at 7635 State Route 225, Henderson, TN 38340. Phone: (731) 989-5680 in 2013. The store is in the MASSEYVILLE COMMUNITY.
Lula is a place located in Chester County at latitude 35.466 and longitude -88.373. Lula is East of the new Hwy 22 on hwy 201 (Henderson Road). Lula once had a Post Office. The Post office was closed and moved to Center Point and then moved to Carroll's Store.
Masseyville Post Office opened December 3 1884 and closed October 15 1907. It again opened January 28 1910 and closed August 15 1912. It again opened July 14 1914 and closed October 15 1915. One of more of these times the PO was in the home/store of J H Mitchell. J H Mitchell ran the first store, practiced medicine, owned a gin, a sawmill and a grist mill.
Mr and Mrs Bruce Mitchell and A. J. Maness were among those who attended the reunion at Sandy Flat from here Sunday.
Mr and Mrs Lee Hendrix, of Bethel Springs, visited Mr and Mrs Bruce Mitchell this week.
Hon Horry Hodges, one of the aspirants for official honors of McNairy county, was a visitor here Monday.
Dave Kirby, who for some time past has been in poor health, is very low.
Mr J. N. Hicks, a prominent mechanic of Bells Tennessee, has been doing the annual amount of repair work on Dr Mitchell's gin machinery.
Eld. W. H. Jordan, of Foxhall, was here Monday. Jesse Mitchell makes a pilgrimage regularly to the Piney Woods. HENDERSON HEADLIGHT issue of Friday, May 30 1902
Around 1929-1933 Miss Helen Johnson was a teacher at Masseyville for 4 years. On September 20 1933 she married Wilbert Gordon Cowles and moved to Jackson.
In February 1952 the Chester County Chapter of American Red Cross announced their co-workers for the various districts. H S.Morgan was announced as Chairman for the Fund Raising Drive. District 12 (Masseyville) Mr and Mrs Curtis Mitchell, Mr and Mrs Gorman Maness.
Melburn Post Office opened May 26 1904 and closed Sept 14 1904
MELBURN News. Miss Libbie CONE and Frank NAYLOR were married last Saturday. HENDERSON HEADLIGHT issue of Friday, June 6 1902 - Married June 1 1902. MELBERN is one of the Communities that this paper had news from. Other names included A. G. SEWELL, Mrs Lydia TALLEY and C E WILKERSON.)
Mifflin is the oldest settlement is what is now CHESTER COUNTY. Colonel John PURDY came to Mifflin, then in Henderson County TN in 1821. Colonel John PURDY At the same time that the Holly Springs Methodist Church was used as a school in it's early days Mifflin, also had a school.
MIFFLIN Post Office transferred from Henderson County April 1882 when Chester County was formed and closed October 31 1907
In February 1952 the Chester County Chapter of American Red Cross announced their co-workers for the various districts. H S.Morgan was announced as Chairman for the Fund Raising Drive. District 5 (Mifflin) Mr and Mrs Dennis Lathan, Mr and Mrs R E Butler, Mr and Mrs Carmon Johnson.
In 2004 the 30,000 square foot Mifflin Community Mall was opened by Paul Holmes on the North side of Hwy 200 in Mifflin - across from the Jimmy Wells Store. The retail establishment houses a grocery store, gas station, furniture store, hair salon, cafe and soon a restaurant and arcade. Paul Holmes, a retired businessman who recently moved back to Chester County after living and working in Memphis for years. Holmes decided to retire in Mifflin where he grew up - about 2 miles from the store. Mr Holmes daughter and son in law, Sandra and Tim Tucker also moved from Memphis and will co-manage the store. Danny Rogers of Henderson will manage the Term City Furniture Store. Mr Holmes died in 2009.
The Bingham Gin was in Milledgeville in the 1920's.
Montezuma was originally in McNairy County until Chester County was formed in 1882. Womble's Store was built about 1822 Montezuma was an early town, laid out in the early 1820's. Before the Civil War, Montezuma was at a crossroads and was a prosperous town. The N-S road ran from Jackson through Deanburg then through Montezuma to McNairy Station to Purdy. In 1874 The Montezuma Male and Female Academy was built. It was a thriving town, but they rejected the railroad, which was built farther East.
Under the skill and vigilance of that efficient health officer, Dr Edd Perkins the Small Pox scare at this place has about abated. There is but one case and it is well quarantined. We regret other duties made it necessary for Bro Douglas to severe his connection with the churh here, but hail with delight at the appointment of Bro Day. Everybody is enthusiastic over the prospect of free mail delivery through this burg. Prof Oliver Marsh will teach the public school at Cross Roads next session. HENDERSON HEADLIGHT issue of Friday May 30 1902
MONTEZUMA Post Office was open in McNairy County TN as early as 1839. The Post Office location in April 1882 became Chester County and the P. O. closed July 17 1975 and all mail services continued from Henderson TN.
In February 1952 the Chester County Chapter of American Red Cross announced their co-workers for the various districts. H S.Morgan was announced as Chairman for the Fund Raising Drive. District 8 (Montezuma) Mr and Mrs Charles Skinner, Mr and Mrs Monroe Arnold, Mr and Mrs Ercel Marsh.
The Mount Zion Community is near Enville.
Old Jackson Road Community is along the Old Jackson Road from Hwy 45 on the West end to the Garland Road on the East end. As of 1950 the Old Jackson Road was the only road in Chester County that a school bus crossed a RR track. (On other roads a bridge went over the RR tracks.) The GM&O RR is near the West end and beside the Harry Scott farm. In 1950 Harry Scott Sr raised Polled Hereford cattle and farmed.
In a 1936 issue of Chester County Independent Haltom's Chapel Church on Haltom's Chapel Road, North of Silerton Road was in the community of Phillips.
Several attended the dance at Mr and Mrs Elbert Jones last Wednesday night. All reported a good time.
School is progressing nicely. The leaders in the respective grades are: 1st grade, Nell Jordan 2nd grade, Mary Sue Dodds and L. T. Johnson 3rd grade, Olene Jones and Maedell Thompson 4th grade, Francis Johnson 5th grade, Willo Richardson 6th grade, Cecil Jordan 7th grade, James Rouse 8th grade, Willard Thompson. CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT issue of December 3 1936.
Roby Community Volunteer Fire Department, 5050 Roby, is having a fall fundraiser Nov 2 2013 consisting of Chili, hamburgers, hot dogs and a cake walk.
Rocky Knob community news: Mr and Mrs Lester Droke spent Sunday night with her mother, Mrs Elmer Weaver. Mr and Mrs Dallas Davis spent Saturday night and Sunday in the C E Webster home. Plus 7 more items in December 10 1936 issue of CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT.
SAND MOUNTAIN is not a separate community, but it is a NATURAL FEATURE of Chester County. Sand Mountain is about 100 feet above the surrounding land, it is the highest point in West Tennessee. Sand Mountain is mostly bald with Black Jack Oak, which will grow, although slowly on dry sandy ground. Sand Mountain is about 2 -3 miles SE of Jacks Creek TN.
Sand Mountain is a summit located in Chester County, TN at N35.45341 W88.46338 and at an elevation of 734 ft.
It is on the USGS 1:24K topographic map "Enville, TN". The peak, on the Sand Mountain Road is North of the Smith Cemetery (which is on Cabo Road). In 2013 a house is on top of the knoll.
To see it go East on Hwy 100 from Jacks Creek TN. Turn Right (South) on Sand Mountain Road (about 4th road E of Jacks Creek). Continue South on the road, it will eventually curve around and head back NE. The Peak is North of the junction with Cabo Road on East side of the road as you are going back NE. At the junction with Roby Road turn left and it will lead you back to Hwy 100. Or turn right on Roby Road and follow it to "New" Hwy 22 and continue on your trip.
In the Shady Grove news in the Oct 1936 Issue of Chester County Independent Little Hatchie Church is mentioned.
The town of Silerton is barely in Hardeman County, but many in this community are living in Chester County. Silerton is the smallest incorporated town in Hardeman County as per 2010 census with a population of 110. It's address is Henderson TN. Town of Silerton, 30195 Highway 125 North, Henderson TN 38340
SWEET LIPS Post Office was changed to Chester County in April 1882, name was changed to SWEETLIPS January 12 1895 and it was closed June 30 1905.
Talley's Store is in the Sweetlips Community in 2010. Talley's gin sat on the south side of the store. The community once had a blacksmith shop and a grist mill.
Rev Hodges and W H Harris of McNairy county, visited Dr White Sunday. B G Smith is very ill at this time. S E Reed lost a horse this week, making two that he has lost this spring. HENDERSON HEADLIGHT issue of Friday, May 30 1902
In February 1952 the Chester County Chapter of American Red Cross announced their co-workers for the various districts. H S.Morgan was announced as Chairman for the Fund Raising Drive. District 3 (Sweet Lips) Mr and Mrs J T Peddy, Mr and Mrs R A Talley, Jr
SWEET LIPS GROCERY, 3870 Sweet Lips Road, Henderson TN 38340 731 989 2156 was owned by Elbert Brooks in 2013. This grocery store is in the former Sweetlips School that closed in 1960. Elbert "JR" Brook born January 13 1939 died January 13 2014.
Woodville Cemetery lies off Highway 225 South in rural Chester County, TN. It is just north of the McNairy County line.