SCROLL DOWN for HISTORY, EDUCATION, etc, INFORMATION
Welcome to CHESTER COUNTY TN INFORMATION.
Please send me any Chester County Tennessee History, Obits, Cemeteries, etc Information that you would like to share.
E Mail Address
CHESTER COUNTY Scroll down to "Places in Chester County, Tennessee" and then scroll in that section, you will find Basins, Buildings, CEMETERIES, Census, CHURCHES, Dams, Hospitals (Clinics), LOCALES, Parks, Populated Places, POST OFFICES, Reservoirs, SCHOOLS, Streams, Summits, Towers and Trails.
CHECK BACK AS ADDITIONAL MATERIAL is ADDED to THIS SITE
COPYRIGHT © 2013, 2015 &2017 Glendel W 'Glen' Peddy All rights reserved
You will continue to own all information that you sent to me.
BRIEF HISTORY of the AREA that became CHESTER COUNTY TN
CHESTER COUNTY TENNESSEE FORMATION
Chester County was the last county formed in Tennessee
A portion of a Tennessee map by Rand, McNally & Co. 1882, 1888 Posted by mygenealogyhound.com
Centre Pointe, Deanburg, Henderson, Jacks Creek, Mifflin, Milledgeville, Montezuma, Sweet Lips, Wild Goose.
This map shows RR in and through Henderson. The only RR ever built was the N to S route from Jackson.
South of Henderson
2009 CHESTER CO MAP Or MAP
HISTORY GOOGLE Books
Info(not being updated)
Prior to the railroad coming Henderson did not exist. Montezuma did not want the rail road to come through their town, therefore the RR
was located farther East. The Railroad built a station and called it Dayton. Later it became Henderson Station because so many people of the area were
from Henderson County even though the station was in Madison County. Prior to 1882 Mifflin, Jacks Creek and the community later known as Glendale
were in Henderson County. Montezuma, Masseyville, Woodville and the community of Sweet Lips were all in McNairy County. Henderson
Station was in Madison County.
HISTORY of CHESTER COUNTY Tennessee by S. E. Reid.
COURT HOUSE in Henderson, TN
CHESTER COUNTY TN
Early newspapers for the area included the THE NEW ERA, before 1900 and the HENDERSON HEADLIGHT around 1901-03
CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPER
Established in 1865, the Chester County Independent is the oldest continually run business in Chester County. Known first as the Madison County Herald, the newspaper changed when Chester County was formed from portions of Madison, Henderson, McNairy and Hardeman counties in 1882, making it the last of the state's 95 counties to be established. The Newspaper has had different names and owners. In 1936 R A Harry was the owner and Publisher. Subscription rates were $1.50 per year in zone 1 and $2.00 per year beyond zone 1 - published weekly. The longest ownership has been by the Whaley family. Purchasing the newspaper in 1965 from the T.D. Pace family, H.F. "Woodie" Whaley became the Editor until he died from a heart attack in 1975. His wife became the leader of the newspaper until their son, Scott took over in 1989.
American Hometown Publishing (AHP), a Nashville based holding company started in 2003, has acquired Chester County Independent as of October 5 2006.
In October 2013 Tim Stratton is the Publisher and James A Webb is the Editor in Chief. Their address is Chester County Independent, P O Box 306, Henderson TN 38340-0306 or 218 S Church Street, Henderson Tn 38340.
CHESTER COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY Chester County Historical Society, P O Box 721, Henderson TN 38340-0721
Freed Hardeman University, Historical Roon, 158 E Main Street, Henderson TN 38340
POPULATION CHESTER COUNTY TN
CITIES & TOWNS of CHESTER COUNTY TN
MONTEZUMA early HISTORY
Return to top of page.
EARLY HIGHER EDUCATION IN HENDERSON TN
GEORGIA - ROBERTSON CHRISTIAN COLLEGE
The school, completed in 1897 was named for Miss Georgia Robertson, deceased daughter of John Franklin and Lucy Alice Hamlett Robertson of Crockett Mills TN. She died of typhoid fever at age 21. Her father transferred part of her estate to the school. The school was affiliated with the Christian Church. It was located on acreage at the corner of Main Street and White Street (once Hwy 100 an Business 45). the two story brick building was at 35.440979,-88.639296 Miss Robertson once lived in Chester County (Madison County prior to 1882) and had gone to a local school, possibly the West Tennessee Christian College on the same acreage or adjoining acreage.
Knowles Shaw Archer 1877 - 1962 attended Georgia Robertson Christian College of Henderson, TN in 1903.
George William Austin born 1872 in Henderson Co TN died 1969. He attended Georgia Robertson Christian College and was a gospel preacher mostly in TX and CO.
William Hamilton Baldy, Sr (August 17 1877 - December 20 1945) was a Civil Engineering teacher at Georgia Robertson Christian College, Henderson, TN, in 1898-99. He is buried Henderson (TN) City Cemetery.
James Wilson "Jim" BRENTS (March 1 1884 - Oct 20 1963, Nashville) attended Georgia Robertson Christian College
Leonard Lee BRIGANCE (1879 - 1950) finished high school at Scotts Hill TN and continued his studies at Georgia Robertson Christian College in Henderson. He completed the course there in 1905 and obtained the M.A. degree from that school. He became a member of the faculty of National Teachers Normal and Business College, in the year of 1909, the second session of its operation.
John Calvin Graham was born June 13, 1882, in Lamar County, Texas. He was an attendee of Georgia Robertson Christian College and later a gospel preacher.
Lizzie Humphreys, daughter of L. E. and M. J. Humphreys, was born on December 7, 1877, and died on December 25, 1902. Sister Lizzie was a student for two years in the Georgie Robertson Christian College, and in that capacity her work was well done. She died away from home, being engaged in teaching school in Oklahoma Territory. Brother N. B. Hardeman conducted the funeral services.
Charles Burgess "CB" Ijams (September 21 1870 at
Corinth, Alcorn County, MS - June 28 1953 Jackson, Madison County, TN). He was Vice-President and a faculty member of Georgia Robertson Christian College, Henderson TN, in 1897-1905. In 1897-1898 school year he taught Latin, Science, and Literature. In 1898-1899 school year, he taught Latin, Science, Literature, Grammar, and Algebra and serviced as assistant principal. He spoke at the 75th anniversary of the Henderson Christian Church in 1946. In 1899-1900 school year, he taught Higher Mathematics, Latin, Science, Literature, Grammar, and Algebra and he served as Associate Principal and County Superintendent. He was a brother-in-law of A. B. Barret, founder of Abilene Christian University. He was named after his grandfather, Burgess Ijams (1801-1881) who is buried in Mt. Carmel Cemetery, Alcorn County MS. C. B. Ijams is buried Hollywood Cemetery, Jackson TN.
Mrs. C B King
How saddened we were when came the message: "Sister C. B. King passed away." But like a rainbow across the storm cloud came the thought that she was a Christian. The deceased was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. H. Tipler. She was born in Middleton, Hardeman County, TN, in 1888, and died on April 11, 1928, at the Baptist Hospital, Memphis, Tenn., where she underwent an operation for appendicitis. In 1903 she was baptized by Brother N. B. Hardeman while attending the Georgie Robertson Christian College.
Mrs. Lula B. Long died very suddenly on March 15 1906, and was buried at Gleason TN, on Friday, March 16, aged twenty-three years and seventeen days. She was a student of the Georgie Robertson Christian College, under the tutorship of Brother A. G. Freed, and had a large friendship among the students of that institution, each one of whom will be sad to note her death.
William Slaughter Long, Jr (January 9 1874 Obion County, TN - June 17 1957 Memphis) A Gospel preacher. W. S. Long was baptized by J.S. Haskins at the age of 16 in the Obion River at Rives, TN. He attended Georgie Robertson Christian College, Henderson, TN, in 1898-99.
Charles Heber Roberson
Brother Roberson was born February 28 1879, at Robersonville, NC, the old family home. He was the son of Betty Bullock and James Baker Roberson. Early in his life the family moved to Tennessee, where he received part of his public school education. Later he attended Georgia Robertson Christian College, Henderson TN, receiving his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1901 and his Master of Arts in 1902 with a major in Greek and Latin. During the next four years he taught in the public schools of Tennessee. In the fall of 1906 when Abilene Christian College was opened, Brother Roberson was one of the first faculty members. He March 30 1953 and is buried Abilene TX.
George Dallas Smith (March 17 1870 Obion County TN - 1920, buried San Angelo TX). He attended Georgia Robertson Christian College, Henderson TN.
Sue Shelton White, suffragist, equal rights advocate, attorney, and writer, was born May 25 1887 and reared in Henderson TN, the sixth of seven children born to James Shelton White and Mary Calista Swain White. As teachers and liberal thinkers, White's parents stressed the value of education and tutored her at home. Orphaned at age fourteen, White continued her education and graduated from Henderson's Georgie Robertson Christian College in 1904 and West Tennessee Business College in Dyer in 1905. In 1923 she earned a law degree from Washington College of Law in Washington, DC. White joined the woman suffrage movement in 1912. After a long bout with cancer, White died on May 6 1943, at the Alexandria VA, home she shared with Florence Armstrong, her long-term friend.
After the GEORGIA - ROBERTSON CHRISTIAN COLLEGE ceased the building became the Chester County High School in 1913. In 1915-16 it was the Grammer School, Junior High and High School combined. In 1951 the county built a new high school. After the new high school was occupied in 1951 the "old" school only contained the elementary school grades 1 - 8. After the county built new elementary schools in the 1960's, Freed-Hardeman bought the building and acreage and renamed it, MILAN-SITKA Building. The building was deemed unsafe and the last classes were held in 2003 in the building. The building was torn down in 2004. The Bell in the Tower, Corner Stone and other items were saved. The acreage is a grass lot as of 2012/2013.
The First Christian Church was built in 1871, probably the 3rd church in Henderson as the Baptist and Methodist had a church building before 1871.
METHODIST SCHOOL located North Street and Third Street in Henderson TN. It operated as a Elementary and High School from about 1885 until May 1913.
CHESTER COUNTY TN SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENTS - up to 1924
Return to top of page.
CHESTER COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL BUILDING
The Original building was completed in 1897 as the Georgia Robertson Christian College. In 1910 the city bought the building for a public school. Professor McLaurene was the first Principal. He was folowed by Professor Murray and in 1918 by Professor Montgomery. The College building only consisted of the front part, but in 1923 the rear eight rooms were added for the grade school. In 1920 the picture show started, the only one in town. It helped secure needed funds. Mrs Annie Davidson, except for the period between 1919 and 1922 has been connected with the activities of the school since 1915 and Professor T H Williams since 1920.
CHESTER COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL
50 graduated from Chester County High School in 1935.
CHESTER COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL
The largest Freshman Class to date, 111 students in the Fall of 1936. They elected class Officers. Professor Montgomery presided over the meeting. Elected were Melvin McNatt, President; Mack B Jester, Vice President; Mary Emma Reid, Sect-Treas. Miss Dorothy Reid and Helen Green were elected Sponsors with James Williams, Assistant Sponsor.
CLASS OF 1958's 55TH YEAR CLASS REUNION
The Class of 1958 held a REUNION celebrating 55 years since Graduation on October 12 2013 in the Cafeteria of the CHESTER COUNTY (TN) HIGH SCHOOL. Our Senior Class with 88 Graduating Seniors came from 17 communities in Chester County. MIFFLIN, GLENDALE, FRIENDSHIP, ENVILLE, FINGER, HICKORY CORNER, HENDERSON, SWEET LIPS, WILSON'S, PHILLIPS, MONTEZUMA, DEANBURG, McCALL'S, WOODVILLE, LURAY, MASSEYVILLE. Some of us had also attended at Pinson in Madison County and Memphis. Since 1958 it is known that 16 of our classmates have died as of Oct 2013. Eighteen classmates there signed their Email address so others would know it.
In 2004 CCHS had 144 Seniors to Graduate.
PUBLIC SCHOOLS - 2005
There are six schools in the Chester County TN School District. (1) Chester County High School serves all of Chester County and holds grades 9-12. (2) Chester County Junior High School has grades 6 through 8 for the entire county. (3) Chester County Middle School has the whole county's students in grades 4 and 5. (4) East Chester County Elementary School, (5) West Chester County Elementary School, and (6) Jacks Creek Elementary School all have kindergarten through 3rd grade as of 2005.
In 2005 CCHS had 127 Seniors to Graduate.
In 2006 CCHS had 154 Seniors to Graduate.
CCHS graduated 192 Seniors May 13 2013 in Loyd Auditorium.
Return to top of page.
INDEX TO CHESTER COUNTY TN CONFEDERATE PENSION APPLICATIONS
CONFEDERATE PENSION INDEX
CHESTER COUNTY TN LIST of CONFEDERATE PENSIONERS on ROLL Jan 1 1883
INDEX TO CHESTER COUNTY TN World War I & II VETERANS
CHESTER COUNTY WWI VETERANS
WW II Chester Co Enlistees
Hubert SEATON was the first person drafted for WWII from Chester County.
WW II CASUALITIES
These WWII lists appear to NOT include Navy personnel.
Killed in the KOREAN WAR
Eugene Marvin COX and Harold L RHODES
CHESTER COUNTY VOTING PLACES
TENNESSEE STATE DEATHS
TN STATE :DEATH :RECORDS 1908 - 1912
TN STATE :DEATH :RECORDS 1914 - 1933
CHESTER COUNTY TN SURNAMES A-D
1914-1955 Deaths Family Search
Tennessee Death, Marriage & Divorce Records from Shelby County Registrar
1952 TORNADO in CHESTER CO, TN
1952 CHESTER County TORNADO in CHESTER Co, TN
Return to top of page.
COPYRIGHT © 2013 & 2015 Glendel W Peddy All rights reserved
GLENDEL W PEDDY
1490 State Hwy 121
SULLIVAN IL 61951
This site started Sept 10 2013.