CHESTER COUNTY TN NEWS and MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION
Welcome to CHESTER COUNTY TN NEWS and Misc.
Please send me any Chester County TN History, Obits, Cemeteries, Community Information, NEWS, etc Information that you would like to share.
E Mail Address
CHECK BACK AS ADDITIONAL MATERIAL ADDED to THIS SITE OFTEN
COPYRIGHT © 2013 Glendel W Peddy All rights reserved
You will continue to own all information that you sent to me.
MRS MARTHA HUDDLESTON'S HEALING SALVE
Return to top of page
STORE ADS - 1893
HOUSE for RENT
HEADLIGHT & BOLIVAR BULLETIN Exchange
AD for COFFEE, ETC
MOBILE & OHIO TRAINS
Time of Trains at HENDERSON
SHOPPING - VISITING
VENIRE FOR JUNE TERM OF COURT
GEORGIA-ROBERTSON CHRISTIAN COLLEGE
TYPHOID FEVER - ROWLAND
J. F. O'NEAL & COMPANY
J. F. O'Neal & Company announce in January 1933 that they have secured the services of Mr Lon Hardeman to take charge of their Hardware Department
CHESTER COUNTY POWER ASSOCIATION
The temporary Chester County Power Association was Organized in January 1933 The Committee is responsible for securing electric power from TVA for Chester County and placing it before the people of Chester County. This temporary committee was selected by the Tennessee Valley Authority and is composed of the following prominent citizens of Chester County: N.B. Hardeman, chairman; F.L. Browning; F.C. Malone; R.E. McCallum; and T.L. Hardeman.
PEOPLE'S BANK In February 1933 People's Bank closed their doors to reorganize. Mr J. G. Hardeman was the President and Mr Joe Ward was the Cashier. The bank was organized about 1914. The capital stock was $30,000. The deposits were $90,000. The bank never reopened to accept deposits.
Anderson's Grocery was advertising in the Chester County Independent in January 1934.
G M & O DEPOT BURNS The G M & O depot burned March 5 1934. Freight and two box cars also burned. The Fire Chief for the City of Henderson Fire Department fighting the fire was Eli Peddy.
ROWSEY & MORGAN, Funeral Directors Rowsey and Morgan, on Main Street have made improvements in their display of caskets. They have been in business for more than twenty years in Henderson. They are the only funeral directors in Henderson to have motorized equipment. Chester County Independent issue, March 1934
MOFFITT PURCHASES NEW AMBULANCE
In order to take care of the increase in his Funeral business, Laurence Moffitt has purchased a new 1937 PACKARD Ambulance and Funeral Coach. CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT issue of October 8 1936
THE GREYHOUND RESTAURANT
Mr John Hodges, who for years operated a sandwich and drink shop between Frank's Service Station and the Walker Building was forced out of business a few months ago due to a fire. He has purchased a Greyhound bus body, reworked it, he is now open for business. The brick foundation and brick front are attractive. Abstracted from CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT issue of October 22 1936.
NEW STATE THEATER
The new State Theater opened in early August 1937.
STEWART'S ESSO STATION
Stewart's Esso Station opened in July 1940 in Henderson.
All County schools will begin on July 21 1947, including the high school. School will "let out" for cotton picking.
GARDNER MOTOR COMPANY
In July 1950 Gardner Motor Company was the Dealer in Henderson for Chrysler - Plymouth Automobiles and also for Case Tractors.
The Henderson Board of Alderman in October 1950 named Alderman Carl CROWDER to fill the unexpired term of Mayor Willard SMITH, who has been called to active duty as a Naval Reserve Officer.
YOUNG MEN REPORT FOR MILITARY DUTY
BINGO PARTY GLENDALE SCHOOL
Notice: A Bingo Party at Glendale School, December 7 1950 at 7:00. Proceeds go to improve the school.
S & W SUPER SERVICE STATION
Return to top of page
NEW POLICE CAR
KIRBY FARRELL TO MANAGE BALL CLUB IN IOWA IN '51
DOCTORS DELIVERING BABIES FOR CHESTER COUNTY RESIDENTS IN 1951
AIR FORCE 1951
FREED - HARDEMAN LECTURES
Hundreds of visitors from 16 states attended the annual Lectures at Freed-Hardeman College last week. CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT issue of January 19 1951
BAPTIST CONFERENCE MEETING
Rev and Mrs A L Bishop and Mrs E E Peddy attended the Workers Conference and Executive meeting of the Madison-Chester Baptist Association at Maple Springs Baptist Church on January 16 1951. CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT issue of January 19 1951
REV. CANADAY better
Reverand J D Canaday is still confined to the Methodist Hospital in Memphis, where he is undergoing treatment, following an attack suffered several weeks ago. Attending physicians report his condition as improved. However, he is expected to be hospitalized for some days yet. CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT issue of February 9 1951.
CARROLL in WISCONSIN
For the benefit of the many friends of Pvt Houton C Carroll his address is: Pvt Houston C Carroll, U S 53016886, Co "C", 199th Engr (C) Bn, Camp McCoy, Wisconsin. CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT issue of February 9 1951.
DR. CECIL PARRISH OPENS OFFICE HERE
Dr Cecil O Parrish has opened his office in the Walker Building over the Melton Barbershop on Main Street in Henderson Tennessee for the general practice in dentistry. Dr Parrish has been located in Savannah Tennessee for the past three years. He is the son of Mrs T O Parrish. He will live with his mother on West Main Street. CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT issue of Feb 9 1951
Return to top of page
ROBBERS AGAIN BURGLARIZE OUR NEW HIGH SCHOOL
Last Saturday night, March 3 1951 robbers again entered the New Chester County High School building. Much damage was done to doors and lockers as they looked for loot. Principal James Williams had taken the gate receipts from the Saturday night basketball game and from the PTA sales in the cafeteria and placed them in a vault in town, a practice he has started doing since the 1st burglary. Extracted from CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT issue of March 9 1951
MOORE GROCERY SOLD TO SELMER RESIDENT
Moore's Grocery on Union in Henderson, has been sold to Mr W F Wilkerson of Selmer TN. Mr Wilkerson, a native of Selmer is expected to name a new Manager soon and to rename the store. CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT issue of Jan 18 1952
NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY
County Court Voted in January 1954 To Erect a National Guard Armory Here. It was built on Hwy 100 (Main Street) at the Eastern edge of Henderson.
VISITING RELATIVES - SPORTS - BURGLARS
CLUB ALAMO BLOWN UP
TWINS in CCHS in 1961
Return to top of page
ICE STORM HITS
"Ice Storm Hits Area"
The worst ice storm in 24 years hit Chester County and West Tennessee Wednesday night, January 10 1974 leaving thousands without heat and power in the west state area. The last major ice storm was in 1950.
BUSINESS in HENDERSON
LOCAL FUNERAL HOMES PURCHASED
BOGUS ONE MILLION DOLLAR CASHIER'S CHECK PASSED
BURNED BODY FOUND IN CHESTER COUNTY
CHESTER COUNTY LIBRARY
DEER TAKEN IN CHESTER COUNTY
FOUR TN NEWSPAPERS WIN QUALITY AWARDS
CHESTER COUNTY STATE GARAGE CLOSING
Hwy 100 Bypass
CITY POLICE CAR BURNED