CHESTER COUNTY TENNESSEE SCHOOLS - OLD, Information

HOME PAGE
COMMUNITIES
NEWS & MISC
MARRIAGES
OBITS
CEMETERY Info
PEOPLE of Chester Co
PEDDY WEB SITE
CHURCHES
 
AIRPORT
EDDY ARNOLD Entertainer
1952 TORNADO
SAND MOUNTAIN

Welcome to OLD CHESTER COUNTY TN SCHOOLS.
 
Please send me any Chester County Tennessee History, Obits, Census, Cemeteries, SCHOOL INFORMATION, etc Information that you would like to share.

E Mail Address

CHECK BACK AS ADDITIONAL MATERIAL ADDED to THIS SITE OFTEN

COPYRIGHT © 2013   Glendel W Peddy   All rights reserved
You will continue to own all information that you sent to me.
          CHESTER COUNTY   Scroll down to "Places in Chester County, Tennessee" and then scroll in that section, you will find Basins, Buildings, CEMETERIES, Census, CHURCHES, Dams, Hospitals (Clinics), LOCALES, Parks, Populated Places, POST OFFICES, Reservoirs, SCHOOLS, Streams, Summits, Towers and Trails.
 


OLD SCHOOLS OF CHESTER COUNTY TN


  0   ⅛   ¼   ⅜   ½   ⅝   ¾   ⅞   1


BISHOP / SHADY HILL SCHOOL

The school was located in Chester County TN in the the Sweetlips/Enville TN area. Annie Mae MELTON WORTHY and many of her brothers and sisters went to this school. The teachers were Cornelia Wright, Adelle Arnold, Vaudie Plunk and Mary Jane Bishop. It was in the area where the Massengill and Bishop families lived.

BRAYS SCHOOL

The BRAY SCHOOL was on the property of John Bray in Chester Co TN. It was within a few hundred feet of 35.515238, -88.598696   The John & Mary Bray house was the same one that Hattie Lee BRAY ARNOLD CONE lived in for many years. The hous was west of hwy 200 and just south of the New Friendship road.       On Friday Evening, April 23 1926 at 8:00 the Eighth Grade Graduating Exercises were held for County Line School. Mr Edwin Burkhead, Instructor. Thelma Roberts, Burke Roberts & Virginia Parchman students;   Union Grove School, Miss Eva Peddy, Instructor. Virgil Stewart, Willie Burress, Ada King & Lonnie Carroll, students.   Brays School, Mrs Cecil Johnson, Instructor. Willard Seaton, Helen Maness, Madgie Butler, Myrtle Peddy, Pearl Peddy, Hattie Lee Bray, Amba Peddy & Catherine Seaton, students. Willard Seaton was the Valedictorian. (Hattie Lee BRAY ARNOLD CONE had a copy of the brochure.)   The location of the former Bray School in 1997 is on the Hattie Lee Bray Cone property on hwy 200 (Henderson-Mifflin Road) in Chester Co TN - just south of the road to Friendship. Herschel Peddy, Amba Peddy, Myrtle Peddy, Hattie Lee Bray Cone and many others including the children of Cora Peddy Seaton attended the Bray School.   Nola Seaton Webb remembers going to the Bray School. It closed at Christmas time Dec 1928 when the New Friendship School was completed - Nola was in the 7th grade & New Friendship held classes for the 1st time in Jan 1929. County Line school, Bray school and the Union Grove school, near where Lonnie Carroll lived was consolidated to form New Friendship. The Buckley school on the Wells farm had been closed a few years earlier. New Friendship continued as a school until it was closed for consolidation in May of 1963. (The community is known as Friendship, but the school was known as New Friendship because there was another school in the southern part of the county called Friendship.)   Also see the book “The History of the Friendship Community of Chester Co TN” by Lee Nell King for additional Bray School & New Friendship school information.

BUCKLEY SCHOOL

Buckley school on the Wells farm, East of Needmore Road and South of Wells Road.  

CASH SCHOOL House

Cash School House on Cash School Road North of Enville.  

CENTER POINT SCHOOL

In the Eastern part of the County, East of Jacks Creek.
One of the teachers in the 1940's was Mary Nell WOODS BREWER.

CHESTER COUNTY TRAINING SCHOOL

VINCENT HIGH SCHOOL

For the 1958-1959 School year the Girls basketball coach was Eddie C MICKENS and the Boys basketball coach was George SAUNDERS.

The Chester County Training School was the Elementary School for Blacks in the city of Henderson TN and the High School for Blacks in Chester County. John Manley TRICE was the principal at the Chester County Training School for many years. When the school was closed and the students moved to CCHS Mr Trice became the assistant principal at CCHS.

COUNTY LINE SCHOOL

The pupils and teacher of County Line School met Wednesday, March 7 1956 for the purpose of electing the school's "Who's Who" for the year 1956.   Diane Hooper and Dickie Dean were elected the school's "Sweethearts", Diane Hooper was elected most studeous pupil in upper grades, while Ronnie Kennedy and Ray Hooper tied for most studious in lower grades.   Betty Jean Nash, girl with best personality and also voted prettiest girl. Jerry Rowlett was unanimous voted the cutest boy with the most winsome ways.   Doris Hooper most talented; Royce Kennedy, most likely to succeed; Wanda Johnson, quietest pupil; Dennis Parchman, best all around pupil.   In the lower grades Ann Clayton was voted cutest girl and Ray Hooper cutest boy.     CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT, issue of March 23 1956.

GLENDALE SCHOOL

Ruth Peddy Wells was a teacher.   She taught for a total of 40 years. After school consolidation she taught at Jacks Creek.
GLENDALE SCHOOL

GIBSON-ROSENWALD SCHOOL

Talleytown was where the Gibson-Rosenwald school was, a Black school. A two room school.   Ms Alice Cawthon and Ms Mattie Mickens were the teachers at Gibson. The students had to go get wood and kindling for the fire before school started. The school had a lunch room and cook.

HARMONY SCHOOL

Harmony School was in the southern part of Chester County, in or near the Old Friendship Community.

Robert Tucker BEENE born in Chester County in 1910 attended the wood heated Harmony School until the family moved. He took a biscuit, usually with a sausage patty or other meat for lunch each day.

HENDERSON (TN) SCHOOLS

METHODIST SCHOOL located North Street and Third Street in Henderson TN. It operated as a Elementary and High School from about 1885 until May 1913.

JACKS CREEK SCHOOL

School is progressing nicely under the direction of Misses Barber and Smith.   CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT issue of December 3 1936 Due to severe cold and sore throat Miss Mabel McAdams was unable to teach last Tuesday.   Mrs Joe Melton of Henderson substituted for her.   CHESTER COUNTY INDEPENDENT issue of December 22 1950 Mae PEDDY RHODES was a teacher at Jacks Creek.
Ruth PEDDY WELLS was a teacher and Principal for 20 years at Jacks Creek.
In 2007 LaTasha WRIGHT PHILLIPS was the Principal at Jacks Creek School.

McCALL'S SCHOOL

On the McCall School Road between the Jones road and the Clifford Road.
One of the teachers in the 1940's was Mary Nell WOODS BREWER.
The McCall school opened in 1919 and closed in 1947 (Grades 1 - 8)
 

MONTEZUMA SCHOOL


NEW Friendship SCHOOL

In New Friendship Community
Mrs Adelle Johnson Cooper was the teacher in the southern most room for grades 1 - 4 and Mrs Cecil Johnson was the teacher for grades 5-8 in late 1940's or 1950's. Miss Cecil's room had the stage and a curtain between the two rooms could be opened so that the entire school could be used as an auditorium.  

OAK GROVE SCHOOL

Oak Grove School, a Black one room school was near the Oak Grove Church of Christ (on the present Lott Road in 2013), where Ms Casthi Cawthon was a teacher. The school had a lunch room and cook.   Mr Clift Cawthon drove a very small school bus.   This school was closed in the early 1960's and the students went to the Training School in Henderson.  

OWEN'S SCHOOL

      In March 1936 Mr Adolphus HOLLOWAY and family of the Pine Grove Community have moved from the T. L. Hearn farm to Mrs Ben Holloway's farm near the Owens School.

PEDDY SCHOOL

The school was on the John Allen Peddy farm. In the early 2000's this was the J. Allen Peddy farm. This school was closed when the Glendale School was built. The building then became a tenant house for John Allen Peddy.

PHILLIPS SCHOOL HOUSE

Located in Silerton Community.     The Phillips School Reunion was held November 14 2009 at the Hickory Corner Community Center.

Miss Ruth Peddy taught at Phillips in 1934-35 and 1936 and perhaps other years.


PINE SPRINGS SCHOOL

  Margaret Bingham was a teacher and she drove a l937 Chevrolet to school

ROBY SCHOOL


Old Roby School was on Roby Road


SWEET LIPS SCHOOL

  SWEETLIPS SCHOOL was at 35.408834, -88.522653, on the NW corner of Sweetlips Road and the Enville Road.
In 2013 the SWEET LIPS GROCERY, 3870 Sweet Lips Road, Henderson TN 38340   731 989 2156 is owned by Elbert Brooks. This grocery store is in the former Sweetlips School that closed in 1960.   Elbert "JR" Brook born January 13 1939 died January 13 2014.
  The school was closed in 1960 with consolidation.


TAILOR SCHOOL

The school was on the present Glendale Road, it was North of the Glendale School house. By 1945 only a few old stones used for pillows was left at the site. This school was propably closed before the Peddy School started.   Roy H Jones (1912 - 2007) remembered going to this school.   The school site was on the West side of present Glendale Road. Leaving the Holly Springs/Jones Road intersection with the Glendale Road go North. The elevation rises for a few hundred feet. At the top of the rise the Tailor School was on the West side of the road. An old road (Jones Road) once crossed at this point.

UNION GROVE SCHOOL

In 1936 Miss Eva Peddy was the Instructor and the 8th grade students were: Virgil Stewart, Willie Burress, Ada King and Lonnie Carroll.  
 

Return to top of page.


COPYRIGHT © 2013   Glendel W Peddy   All rights reserved

GLENDEL W PEDDY
1490 State Hwy 121
SULLIVAN IL 61951


This site started October 14 2013.