After the Civil War the Unionists of the Presbyterian Church broke away and formed the First Presbyterian Church. The permanent brick structure was built around 1880 to house the new and growing congregation. "The building was dedicated on January 22, 1882.
The building , lot, and furniture came to a total of $6,098.00- all paid in cash. The church plan was executed by one L. B. Valk of New York City, and was a gift of a former pastor, the Rev. Dr. James G. Mason of the Jonesborough area." Eventually the original Presbyterian Church closed it's doors and did not reopen until the two congregations reunited in 1943.
In March 1944 the Central Christian Church purchased the property. On September 23, 1951 the First Christian group and the Central Christian group held a meeting to attempt a merger and become one congregation. For some reason the two churches did not merge at this time.
Once again in 1955 the two groups met and agreed to merge. Extensive reconstruction and remodeling took place in the late 1950s. In August 1968 the education building and fellowship hall were added.
Information kindly contributed by Ellen Hattaway, church member.
NextBack to Historic Tour
Background design provided by: By The Sea Enterprises