The Chester Inn
116 West Main Street
Circa 1790s
 Dr. William P. Chester migrated to Jonesborough from Pennsylvania in the early 1790s and became the first physician in the town.  In addition to his medical office and pharmacy, Dr. Chester also ran the general store and served on the Board of Mayor and Aldermen.   He was also named as a trustee in the incorporation of Washington College in 1795.
The Chester Inn is considered the oldest frame structure in Jonesborough, and was a frequent stop for Andrew Jackson and John Sevier.  It was here that  Andrew Jackson was threatened with tar and feathering.

The Inn is owned by the National Story Telling Society who meets in Jonesborough every October for its annual festival.

See a vintage postcard of the Chester Inn.


Next
Back to Historic Tour

Back to Jonesborough TNGenWeb

Back to Washington County TNGenWeb


Background design provided by: By The Sea Enterprises