Old Jacobs House
100 East Woodrow Avenue
Circa 1830
Thomas Emmerson, the first mayor of Knoxville and member of the Tennessee State Supreme Court, lived in this house in Jonesborough.  He later did agricultural research and published two farming journals.

His widow, Catherine Emmerson, opened a school for young children in her home in 1837 and taught here until 1846.  After the discontinuation of her school, Mrs. Emmerson received boarders in her home who were students at the Jonesboro' Female College.

In the early 1900s the home was owned by George Crumley Mottern, who also owned a dry goods store on Cherokee Street in Jonesboro.  His son, Dr. Hugh H. Mottern, was born in the house on December 19, 1903.  He was a nationally acclaimed food chemist for the U. S. Department of Agriculture.  This home, circa 1905, and its family are featured in Vintage Jonesboro.

This home currently is a private residence.
 

If you have any additional information about this home or its families, please contact Pat Sabin.

Back to Historic Tour

Back to Jonesborough TNGenWeb

Back to Washington County TNGenWeb



Background design provided by: By The Sea Enterprises