Lampson Hall
Main Street
Circa 1873
Mr. John L. Lampson is credited for being the first merchant to bring ready-to-wear clothing to Jonesborough.
The third floor of this building was used for town events such as plays and vaudeville shows.  It also was used as a courtroom when the courthouse was under construction.

Mr. Lampson was born in 1824 and moved to Jonesboro during the early 1860s.  .  He was a graduate of the University of Vermont and  served as president of Greeneville College and, for a time, taught at Martin Academy, a school for boys on South Cherokee Street.    He and his wife,  Martha E. Lampson, are buried in the Old Jonesboro Cemetery.

The store was later owned by Wright L. Hoss.  It is now  Cornbread's Coffeehouse & General Store

If you have any additional information about this building or the families who owned it, please contact Pat Sabin.


Back to Historic Tour

Back to Jonesborough TNGenWeb

Back to Washington County TNGenWeb

Background design provided by: By The Sea Enterprises