Once an inn, this imposing brick structure was a popular stop for travelers on the Stage Road. The second and third floors were used for guests, and the basement housed the slaves' quarters.
The dwelling was originally built in the formal but simple Federal style of architecture so prevalent during the early 1800s. The porch was added later and is typical of the Victorian style of a later period.
The home was purchased by the Rufus May family and was the home of his son Robert May, well known attorney and mayor of Jonesborough.
According to Mrs. Caroline May, "The house was built in 1829 by a Mr. Simpson. The bricks were hand fired on the premises. The front porch was hand carved later by a Mr. Sprinkle who took four years to build it.
"The documents creating the East Tennessee and Virginia railroads were signed in the house when it was an inn.
"During the Civil War [it was] owned by the widow of Robert M. May who was mayor of Jonesboro for 34 years. His family has owned the house since it was built."
The Mansion House is now a private residence.
Back to Historic Tour
Back to Jonesborough TNGenWeb
Back to Washington County TNGenWeb
Background design provided by: By The Sea Enterprises