The original home of the Methodist congregation in Jonesborough was a small brick chapel built around 1825 in the southeastern corner of town. In the 1840s the congregation purchased the lot on Main Street from Mrs. Harriet Hunt for $600 and built the existing church.
An example of Greek Rivival architecture, the Jonesborough United Methodist Church dates to 1845-1846 and features four large columns with pediment and deep portico. It retains the original slave gallery.
Back to Historic Tour
Back to Jonesborough TNGenWeb
Back to Washington County TNGenWeb
Background design provided by: By The Sea Enterprises