During the Civil War salt was in short supply in East Tennessee and was rationed. In January 1864 the Washington County Court authorized Jenry Hoss to purchae $4,500 worth of salt with county funds. The salt was stored in the brick warehouse of W.H. Crouch, which was known as the "Salt House" for many years after the war.
Currently a gift shop.
Back to Historic Tour
Background design provided by: By The Sea Enterprises