Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 

John G. Smithson

REV. JOHN G. SMITHSON, a prominent farmer and stock-raiser was born in 1820 in Pittsylvania County Va., and is the son of Hezekiah and Henrietta Smithson natives of Virginia. They were married about 1810 in Virginia, and to this union were born eight children: Hezekiah, Eliza, Henrietta, Paten, John G., Nathaniel William and Henry C. The subject's father was a very prominent man in Virginia, and was sheriff of Pittsylvania County for many years. Our subject moved to Jefferson County, Tenn., in 1827 with his father, but afterward moved to Williamson County, Tenn., and received his education in the common schools of that county. In 1841 he was married to Ann V. Ladd, the daughter of Noble and Mary Ladd, natives of North Carolina. To Mr. and Mrs. Smithson were born fifteen children: Noble H., Mary H., Anne, Martha J., Rebecca J., Fountain D., John G., Paten C., Sarah E., Thornton L., William B., Isaac N., Alice D., Thomas F. and Henry C. In 1866 our subject purchased 350 acres where he is now residing. It consists of excellent land, three and a half miles west of Pulaski, all well improved and a part in cultivation. He has been a local Methodist Episcopal minister in this county since 1854. The Smithson family are all highly respected citizens, and the early members of the family were among the first settlers of Tennessee. Mr. Smithson owns a half-interest in the cotton and gristmills known as the Vale Mills, which are very famous all over the country. He is also a stockholder in a turnpike, and a Republican in politics.

From: Goodspeed's History of Giles County