Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 

Wilbur M. Stephenson

WILBUR M. STEPHENSON farmer and stock-raiser of the Ninth District of Giles County, Tenn., was born on the 20th of January, 1841, and is a son of William P. and Malinda Stephenson. In his youth he attended the common schools of Giles County, Tenn., and his early occupation was farming. At the breaking out of the late civil war he enlisted in the Thirty-second Regiment of Tennessee Volunteers, and served until the fall of 1864, when he was compelled to abandon service owing to ill health. After recovering he resumed farming, and in 1884 settled upon his valuable and well-improved farm of 112 acres. Besides this he owns a valuable tract of land lying along Elk River, and near the town of Elkton. Our subject is a Democrat. November 9, 1865, he led, to the hymeneal altar, Martha J. Hampton, daughter of Matison and Melissa Hampton, of Lincoln County. Mr. and Mrs. Stephenson are the parents of the following children: Matison P., John L., Maggie and Erskin. Husband and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

From: Goodspeed's History of Giles County