Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 

Samuel A. Wilson

SAMUEL A. WILSON, a leading citizen of Giles County, was born in 1823, and is living on the farm of his birth. He was united in marriage in 1857 to Mary Herron, who was born in Mississippi in 1837, and the daughter of Thomas and Mary (Wynne) Herron, natives of Tennessee, born, respectively, in 1808 and in 1816, and died in 1844 and in 1879. To our subject and wife were born three children: Sallie W., Herron C. and Georgie W. Mr. Wilson remained on the farm with his father until 1843, when he went to Yazoo City, and engaged in merchandising in partnership with his brother for about five years. He then moved to Memphis, Tenn., and embarked in the dry goods business, which occupation he followed for four years. He then, in partnership with Norman & Carter, opened a cotton commission house, which also proved successful until the breaking out of the Rebellion. Mr. Wilson then went to Mississippi and opened a tannery, and was engaged in this business until the close of the war, after which he re-opened the cotton commission house, the firm being then known as Wilson, Carter & Co. In 1867 Mr. Wilson sold out and returned to Tennessee, locating on the farm of his birth, which consists of 400 acres of land in a high state of cultivation. Mr. Wilson is a Democrat in politics, and is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. His wife is also a member of the same church. His parents, James and Elizabeth (Weir) Wilson, were natives of Virginia, born, respectively, in 1783 and 1782. The father was a farmer by occupation, and participated in the war of l8l2, and was also with Jackson in the Creek and Seminole Indian wars. He died in I857, and his wife followed him the same year.

From: Goodspeed's History of Giles County