Photo furnished and copyrighted :1996 by Ron Wilsford, Pulaski, TN. Used by permission.
The Giles County Courthouse History
The Giles County Courthouse is the fifth courthouse to be built after the fourth one was destroyed by fire on April 20, 1907. It had been completed in 1859, cost about $27,000, and was constructed of the best materials by the finest workmen available at the time.
It had stood the ravage of the War between the States when the town was occupied by Federal troops and the flag of the Union flew over it. The amount of insurance covering the courthouse was only $14,000.
The current Courthouse was built by George Moore and Sons of Nashville, Tennessee at a cost of $97,600 and was completed in 1909. The entire cost of the house and furnishings has been estimated at $132,000, and B.B. Smith was the architect. Citizens of the county were so upset at the cost that they voted out of office all the Commissioners.
The Courthouse is decorated with lights that are lit up from Thanksgiving until after New Years. Many people come to see it. It is a beautiful site to behold as you drive in from any direction.