Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 

header image

Jefferson County Basics

 


Jefferson County, as created by Territorial Governor William Blount on June 11, 1792. It was formed from portions of Greene and Hawkins Counties (Hawkins County was also known as Caswell County and and Spenser County)and was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson. Dandridge is the county seat.

 

1795: Two bloomeries in Jefferson County the Mossy Creek forge ten miles north and Dumpling forge five miles west of Dandridge were built about the same year (1795*)and were both were abandoned nearly fifty years ago. (around 1810) (Source: A History of American Manufactures, from 1608 to 1860:, Volume 1, John Leander Bishop, Edwin Troxell Freedley, Edward Young, Edward Young & Company, 1864, p. 613) *(Report of Investigations - Tennessee Division of Geology, vol 17-22, Tennessee Division of Geology, 1962, p. 60)

 

1815: The Manumission Society of Tennessee was formed by Friends: Charles Osborn, John Canady, John Swain, Elihu Swain (Charles Osborn's father-in-law, John Underhill, Jesse Wills, David Maulsby and Thomas Morgan in Lost Creek Link

1831: Post Offices and Postmasters

Chuckey Bend: Charles T Porter

Chunn's Store: Joseph S Chunn

Dandridge: Joseph Hamilton jr

Dohertyville: George Doherty

Moss Creek: Christopher Hanes

New Market: William Brazelton

Oak Grove: John ะก Turnley

Snoddyville: Thomas Snoddy

 

Adjacent Counties

Hamblen

Cocke

Sevier

Knox

Grainger


Links


History

Archives

Jefferson County Resources at TSLA

Jefferson County in Tennessee Encyclopedia

National Register of Historic Places in Jefferson County

 

  

 

 

top