Tennessee State Flag Tennessee State Flag
Marion County, Tennessee Genealogy

Goodspeed's Biographies of Marion County
C - F

published 1886

Flowers

Capt. Joseph Cain, the well-known mine foreman at the Whitwell mines, Marion county for the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Co., is a man whose sound common sense and vigorous, able management of his affairs have been important factors in his success, and his undoubted integrity of character have given him an honorable position among his fellowmen.

Mr. Cain was born January 15, 1862 in Mold, Flintshire, North Wales, Great Brittain, a son of John Henry and Mary (Morris) Cain, the former also a native of the British Isles and the later an American by birth, although of English parentage, who later returned to England where she was married. Our subject was reared to manhood in the place of his birth. At the early age of eight years he commenced working in the mines in the northern part of his native country, and was subsequently employed in different mines throughout England and Wales.

As he made a thorough study of practical mining in all it's various departments, he became an expert workman and well fitted to take entire charge of the mines. His employers recognizing his ability at first appointed him deputy foreman, and later foreman, a position he filled with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of the company. Coming to the United States, he located in Marion County, Tenn., in 1887, and has since been in the employ of the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Co. Soon after entering theri service he was appointed mine foreman, a position he has most capably filled ever since, and the system now in use in these mines was inaugurated by him.

He introduced the split system of ventilation, the first of the kind used in the Tennessee coal districts, and has made many innovations in the former methods employed in these mines, his excellent knowledge of the business enabling him to make many useful and practical improvements. He has entire charge of the inside working of the Whitwell mines, where employment is given to three hundred and twenty-five diggers or a total working force of four hundred and fifty souls.

At the age of eighteen years, Mr. Cain was married to Miss Annie Elizabeth Roberts, who was also born at Mold, Flintshire, Wales, and they have become parents of six children: Joseph, Jr., Edith, Maggie, George, Annie and Laura. The parents are worthy members of the Methodist church, South and Mr. Cain is now serving as secretary and trustee of the Mt. Olive church, which has recently been erected after a hard struggle, in which he bore an important part. He has always been an active worker in both church and Sunday-school, and is now teaching a class of young men in the latter organization. Fraternally he affiliates with the Knights of Pythias and the Masonic order, Woodman of the World and Regents of the White Shield, while politically he is identified with the Democratic party.

He deserves great credit for the success that he has achieved in life, it being due entirely to his own individual efforts, for since an early age he has been dependent upon his own resources and has labored early and late. To become efficient in the theory and practice of mining, letting no opportunity pass that would help him to that end, and recognizing the practical advantages resulting in becoming a member of the correspondence school of mines, at Scranton, Penn., he became one of the first students. This he did as a sure help toward increasing his knowledge and efficiency. All his spare hours, even encroaching on his hours of sleep, are devoted to self-improvement and improvement of the work under his care.

James Mason Cotnam, M.D. is engaged in the practice of medicine in South Pittsburg, Marion county, Tenn., and has that love for and devotion to his profession which has brought to him success and won him a place among the ablest representatives of the medical fraternity in this locality.

The Doctor was born in Grundy county, Tenn., February 6, 1847, and is the son of Dr. Thomas T. and Elizabeth (Doran) Cotnam, who are both of Irish parentage. The father was born in Limestone county, Ala., in 1822 and died in December, 1884, while the mother was born in Franklin county, Tenn., probably in 1822, and died July 14, 1895. When a young man, Thomas Cotnam attended college at Portersville, Ala., and subsequently entered the medical department of the old Nashville University, from which he graduated in 1846. Opening an office at Hawkersville, Grundy county, Tenn., he engaged in practice at that place for a few years and then removed to Stephenson, Jackson county, Ala. At the latter place he successfully followed his profession until life's labors were ended.

During the Civil war he served for nearly three years as surgeon of the Fourth Alabama Cavalry, which was General Forrest's original command, and was with that general all the time he was in service, but had to resign on account of ill health. He was one of the most prominent citizens of his community and represented Jackson county, Ala. in the state legislature a number of times. He was a Royal Arch Mason and often represented his lodge in the grand lodge of the state. He also belonged to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, was an ardent Democrat in politics, and, religiously, both he and his wife were sincere and earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, with which he was officially connected.

In their family were ten children, five sons and five daughters, of whom seven are still living, namely Tennessee E., wife of Jones C. Beene, of South Pittsburg, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work; James M. of this review; W. W., a resident of Indian Territory; Ida, widow of R. P. Beene, and a resident of South Pittsburg; Maggie, wife of John Duncan, of southern Alabama; Narcissa, wife of W. E. Carter, bookkeeper for the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Co.. at South Pittsburg. Those deceased are Louise, who died in childhood; Gilbert C., a ranchman of Texas, who died at the age of forty-two years; and A. B., a physician of South Pittsburg who died at the age of thirty-five.

The subject of this sketch was attending the Military Academy at La Grange, Ala., when the Civil war broke out, and in 1862 he ran away from school to join the Confederate army, enlisting in Company E, Third Confederate Calvary, which was made up of troops from Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and Texas. He was the youngest soldier in the regiment, but was one of the bravest and most daring. He participated in the battles of Murfreesboro, Fort Donelson and Chickamauga, the siege of Knoxville, which lasted three months, and was with the army on the retreat to Atlanta. After the surrender of General Lee, the regiment disbanded in South Carolina and Dr. Cotnam returned home.

He then attended Lebanon College at Lebanon, Ala., and on leaving school in 1867, he commenced studying medicine under the direction of his father. In 1872, he graduated with honor at the Louisville Medical college, and was given a place in the United States Hospital at Louisville, where he remained until 1874, when he returned to his home in Stephenson, Ala., and entered into partnership with his father. Two years later, however, he came to South Pittsburg, Tenn., and soon succeeded in building up an extensive practice, which he still enjoys. He was physician for the Southern States Coal, Iron & Land Co. for a long time.

Fraternally, he is a prominent member of the Tri-State Medical society, the South Pittsburg Medical Society, the Knights of Pythias lodge, and is captain of the Eighteenth Division of the Uniformed Rank, Knights of Pythias. In his political affiliations he is a Democrat, and religiously, both he and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, South.

On the 11th of December, 1973, Dr. Cotnam was united in marriage with Miss Avis Ellen Jones, a native of Jackson county, Ala., and a daughter of Willis Jones.

Hon. George W. Dame, has spent his entire life in the neighborhood which is now his home and is one of it's most honored and valued representatives. He was born on the 10th of December, 1825, and is the son of John and Elizabeth (Oyler) Dame, both of whom were natives of Virginia. The family is of German origin, and the grandfather, George Dame, who was born in Germany, came to the new world in the colonial days and served through the war of the Revolution. By trade he was a brick and stone mason and was a very earnest and consistent Christian man, whose membership was probably in the Methodist Episcopal church. His death occurred in Virginia.

John Dame, father of our subject, was born in Bottetourt county, Virginia, and his wife in Franklin county, that state. At an early day they came to Tennessee, locating in the Sequatchie Valley, and when the war of 1812 came on the father entered the service of his country. On the close of hostilities he walked from Mobile, Ala., to his home. Later he removed with his family to Kentucky, but not liking that state he returned to Tennessee. The Indians were living in the lower part of the Sequatchie valley when they first came to this state and the region was wild and unimproved. The father learned the tanner's trade in Fincastle in his early life and was following that pursuit at the time of his death, which occurred on the homestead farm in 1867. He had reached the age of eighty-two years, and his wife passed away several years later at the age of eighty-five.

In his political views he was a Whig and his sympathies were with the Union cause. Both he and his wife held membership in the Methodist Episcopal church and were people of the highest respectability, having the warm regard of all who knew them. Their family numbered twelve children, only three of whom are now living; Elizabeth, widow of E. Ridley, and a resident of Jackson county, Alabama; Sallie, widow of S. A. Rogers, a resident of Marion county, Tennessee; and George W. Those who have passed away are Valentine, who died in Polk county, Missouri; John, who died in Marion county, Tennessee; Polly, who was the wife of Isaac Kersey and died in this county; Melinda, who was the wife of Saunders Walker and died in Stoddard county, Missouri; Lucinda, who married Isaac Kersey and died in Marion county; Andrew, who died within a mile of his birthplace; Frederick, who was accidentally drowned when a boy; David, who died within a short distance of his birthplace; Daniel, who was drowned in the Sequatchie river.

George W. Dame acquired his education in the neighborhood of his home. One of his earliest recollections is of picking peach blossoms for the little girl that charmed his boyish fancy and who later in years would become his wife. They attended the same school, lived in the same neighborhood and on October, 1845, the marriage was celebrated which united the destinies of George W. Dame and Elizabeth T. Rogers. She was the daughter of George Rogers, and was born in November, 1827, within a half mile of her present home. Her entire life has been passed in this locality and for more than half a century she has been to her husband a faithful companion and helpmeet.

Mr. Dame entered upon his business career as an employee in a tan yard, but during the greater part of his life he has carried on farming and stock-raising. his career has been on of industry, enterprise and unflagging perseverance, and in all matters of business his reputation is unassailable.

Mr. Dame is a recognized leader in matters of public interest and his influence and counsel have been important factors in molding public progress to goodly ends. During the muster of the militia he served both as sergeant and captain. For the long period of twenty-five years, he filled the office of justice of the peace, discharging his duties with marked fairness, promptness and impartiality. He was also the chairman of the county court for many years, and in 1868-69 he represented his district in the state legislature. His political support was given to the Whig party in early life and when the war came on he strongly sympathized with the Union cause and became an advocate of Republican principles. He has since voted for the men and measures of that party, and on political questions is well-informed.

Socially he is a member of the Masonic lodge in Jasper, and both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, with which they have been identified for more than a half a century. Their upright and useful lives exemplify their belief , and their good deeds have won them the love and confidence of all. The career of Mr. Dame has been characterized by devotion to all the duties of public and private life. He is a man of high intellectuality, broad human sympathies and honorable purpose; honor and integrity are synonymous with his name, and he enjoys the respect, confidence and high regard of the entire community. Although he has passed the Psalmist's span of three score years and ten, he is a useful old age, and when he shall have been called to his reward he will leave to his descendants that priceless heritage of the good name which is rather to be chosen than riches.

Mr. and Mrs. Dame had a family of twelve children, eleven of whom reached mature years and were married; David V.; Sarah E., who became the wife of A. J. Quarrels, and died at the home of her parents; Minerva, who died in infancy; John W., who is engaged in farming in the Seventh district of Marion county; Mary A., wife of George Ramsey; Martha M., who became the wife of James Quarrels, and died in Cole City, Ga.; Nancy J., wife of Alex Rogers; Alex, who is living in Chattanooga; James B., an agriculturist of Logan county, Ark.; Laura, wife of Joseph McBride, a resident of the seventh district of Madison county; Kate, wife of Sherman Warren, also of the Seventh district; and Estelle, wife of Thomas Smith, of Dayton, Tenn,

David V. Dame, the eldest of this family acquired his education in the public schools of the neighborhood and on laying aside his textbooks began farming on his father's land. He was born on the homestead farm, four miles east of Jasper, December 4, 1846, and during the greater part of his life has devoted his energies to agricultural pursuits. Since 1868 he has resided upon the land which is now his home, and all of the improvements upon the place stands as monuments to this thrift and enterprise. Industry and energy are numbered among his chief characteristics and his well directed efforts have brought to him a handsome competence which is the merited reward of his labors.

On the 27th of August, 1868, Mr. Dame was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Mitchell, a daughter of George Mitchell, who was removed from Alabama to Marion county, and became one of the leading agriculturists of this locality. Mrs. Dame was born in the Seventh district of the county, April 18, 1841, and by her marriage has become the mother of one son, George M., who is still with his parents. Mr. Dame and his son are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mrs. Dame holds membership in the Cumberland Presbyterian church. Their home is noted for it's hospitality and the members of the household occupy an enviable position in social circles.

Mr. Dame is one of the most prominent and stalwart Republicans of the county. He has studied broadly the issues and questions affecting the welfare of the country and his views are the result of earnest consideration. he is now chairman of the Republican central committee of Marion county, also of the executive committee, and his able management in the organization of campaign forces has resulted in some notable Republican victories. He is a loyal and worthy citizen who has the interest of his county at heart, and with liberal hand does he contribute to the support of all measures and enterprises intended for the public good. Socially, he is connected with the Olive Branch lodge, of Jasper, since 1869, and is a worthy exemplar of that benevolent and time-honored fraternity. In 1876 he represented his lodge in the grand lodge and again in 1893 and 1894. His career has been marked by the strictest integrity and faithfulness to every trust reposed in him and his record is unclouded by the shadow of wrong. He is known as an honorable man, a pleasant, social companion, and a devoted husband and friend. There is also particular satisfaction in reverting to the life history of the honored and venerable gentleman whose name initiates this review, since his mind bears the impress of the historic annals of the state through seventy-five years, and from the fact that he has been a loyal son of the republic and has attained a position of distinctive prominence in the community where he was born and where he has retained his residence to the present time, being one of the revered patriarchs of the community.

James Kelly Davis, an energetic and progressive farmer, residing in the Seventh district of Marion county, two miles east of Jasper, was born in the Sequatchie Valley, near Sulpher Springs, Marion county, November 30, 1837 [birth year is 1857 per Jason Kennedy}, and is a son of Robert Earl C. and Amanda (Carmack) Davis, both born near Abingdon, Va., the former May 24, 1820, and the latter September 24, 1825. When young they came with their respective parents to the Sequatchie Valley, and after their marriage they located upon the place where the mother still continues to reside. The father died August 8, 1885, and was buried in the family cemetery upon the old home farm. In politics he was a Democrat, and in religious belief was a Cumberland Presbyterian. The six children that constituted this family were as follows: one who died in infancy; John I. [middle initial is "L" per Jason Kennedy], who makes his home in the third district of Marion county, near Whitwell; James K., of this sketch; William E., a farmer of Arkansas; and Mary J., deceased.

Mr. Davis, of this review, was educated in the public schools of Marion county, and upon the home farm grew to manhood. On the 12th of May 1881, he led to the marriage altar Miss Nettie Duke, who was born in the Third district of Marion county, February 15, 1863, and is a daughter of Edwin and Mary (Holloway) Duke, the former a native of North Carolina, the latter of Sequatchie county, Tenn. The father died November 26, 1886, but the mother is still living, and now makes her home with her son Charles. She is a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South of which her husband was also a member. In their family were seven children, namely; Mattie, Joseph, Joshua, Thomas, Charles, Nettie and Nelson. Mrs. Davis was reared in Marion county, and was educated in the common country schools.

After his marriage, Mr. Davis located upon his father's farm, which he operated for a few years, but in 1895 purchased his present place, and has since devoted his energies to its cultivation and improvement. He is a Master Mason, belonging to the lodge at Sulpher Springs, Marion county, and is an ardent Democrat in politics.

John L. Davis, one of Marion county's thrifty and industrious agriculturists who owns a farm and pleasant home in the Third district of that county, was born near Sulpher Springs, Marion county, Tenn., January 3, 1851, a son of Robert Earl C. and Amanda (Carmack) Davis, both born near Abington, Va., the father May 24, 1820 and the mother September 24, 1825. Both moved to Marion county, Tenn., when young and were married on the farm on which they lived for so many years. the father died there August 8, 1885, and is buried in the family cemetery, on the farm, and the mother is still making the old farm her home. He was an elder in the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and in politics was identified with the Democratic party.

The subject of our sketch is the second in the order of birth of a family of six children. he was educated in the public schools of Sulpher Springs and was married September 14, 1875 to Miss Sara D. Condra, who was born near Red Hill church, July 29, 1855, a daughter of Howell and Delilah (Cowan) Condra. Her father was a soldier in the Confederate army during the Civil war. he was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church and died November 15, 1897. The mother is living with her daughter, Maggie Jones. Mrs. Davis was educated in the common schools of Red Hill and Cedar Springs. After his marriage our subject first settled on a farm near Sulpher Springs, and after making his home there for five years, he sold out and went to Johnson county, Arkansas. He only stopped at the latter place about ten months, however, and, on his return to Tennessee, he stopped near Victoria for about a year. He than bought the farm on which he now resides in the Third district.

Politically our subject invariably uses his elective franchise in support of the candidates of the Democratic party, but has never aspired to public office, and he and his wife are both members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. Their home has been blessed by the presence of a family of four children upon they have bestowed the following names: Ellen A., Arthur D., Lena B. and Lulu F.

Robert Earl Davis, one of Marion county's thrifty and hard-working farmers, is now making his home in the Fifth district of that county, near the city of Whitwell. he was born on the farm on which he is now making his home September 21, 1854, the son of Robert Earl C. and Amanda (Carmack) Davis, both born near Abington, Va., the father May 24, 1820 and the mother September 24, 1825. There were extensively acquainted in the county of their nativity and it was there that their courtship began. They both moved to Tennessee when young and were married where the mother now makes her home. The father died August 8, 1885, and is buried on the farm that for many years was his home and is still the home of his companion. They were both members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. To them was born a family of six children as follows: The first born, who died in infancy; John L., living on a farm north of Whitwell; Robert Earl, the subject of this sketch: James K., a farmer of Marion county, Tenn.: William E., a farmer in Arkansas; and Mary J., deceased.

Robert Earl Davis, the subject of this sketch, was educated at Sulpher Springs, Marion county, Tenn., and after finishing his study, engaged in farming in that vicinity until the year 1877. He then went to Texas and located in Commerce, Hunt county, and for about a year worked in a livery barn; at the end of that time he began for himself at Brackenridge the same line of business. About a year later he returned to his home in Tennessee and was untied in marriage with Miss Nancy Bailey, a native of Marion county, and a daughter of Benjamin J. and Emily West Bailey. After their marriage they removed to Texas, but Mr. Davis discontinued his livery business and worked at farming in that vicinity for two years. He and his estimable wife then returned to Tennessee and have lived in various places in Marion county but have each tine engaged in farming. They bought their present home in 1895. Mr. and Mrs. Davis are the parents of a family of six children, four of whom are now living, and whose names in the order of their birth are as follows: Ethel, Joseph, William, Talmage, Curry and Kelly. William and Kelly are dead, but the rest are all making their home with their parents.

Mr. Davis is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, but his wife is not a member of any denomination. He is loyal and determined in his adherence to the right and to his friends, and has shown himself to be a man in whom all might place the highest confidence. he has been quite successful in life and has gained for himself, his companion and his children a comfortable and pleasant home. He is a loyal citizen, and an earnest and enthusiastic supporter of everything which tends to bring prosperity to the locality in which he lives.

Mathias Dietzen enjoys the well-earned distinction of being what the public calls "a self made man." He started out in life with no capital, but possessing sturdy determination, good judgment and resolute purpose, he has steadily worked his way upward, overcoming the many difficulties and obstacles in his path, until he has achieved a brilliant success. He is not only numbered among the leading citizens of Marion county, but is also deserving of their gratitude for the introduction of a new line of business into this section of the state. He is the pioneer horticulturist of this region, and in opening up a new industry he has largely promoted the material welfare and prosperity of the county. he is therefore deserving of prominent mention among those whose labors have brought about the present advanced condition of the county, and this record would be incomplete without a sketch of his useful and honorable career.

Mr. Dietzen was born near the celebrated city of Trier, Germany, December 3, 1843, and is a son of John and Margaret (Williams) Dietzen, who were also natives of the same locality, where they spent their entire lives, both dying in 1860. The mother passed away before her husband and his death was undoubtedly occasioned by grief at her loss. He was a farmer and machinist, and possessed much natural ability as a mechanic, being able to make almost anything in wood. He manufactured wagons and cider mills, and was very useful in all lines of mechanical work. he also owned land and was a thrifty agriculturist. Both he and his wife were members of the Catholic church. Their family numbered nine children, six of whom are now living. John, the eldest, is still living in the house where he was born. He is an excellent worker in wood, and in addition to farming manufactures wine barrels, cider mills and wagons. Mathias is the next of the family. Nicholas is in the wholesale fruit and confectionary business at Chattanooga and has one of the finest and most extensive fruit farms in the south, comprising one thousand acres at Fort Valley, Ga. His opinion concerning fruit culture is always regarded as authority on the subject. Peter is a tailor of Louisville, Ky. Katie is the wife of John Ruhl, a cooper of Louisville, Ky. Joseph is with his brother in Chattanooga. Margaret, who was the wife of a Mr. Ollinger, died in her native land.

Mathias Dietzen, of this review, attended school in the Fatherland, where he learned the shoemaker's trade, which he followed in Germany for about six years. In 1866, he came to the United States locating in Louisville, Ky., where he followed his trade for three years, when in 1869 he removed to Chattanooga, Tenn. In 1876 he became one of the pioneer settlers of South Pittsburg, where he opened a shoeshop and grocery store, carrying on this dual enterprise until 1888, when on account of failing health he took up residence in his mountain home. Ten years previous, in 1878 he embarked in the fruit growing business and today he is one of the most extensive and best known fruit horticulturists of Tennessee. His excellent fruit farm is located at a point on the Cumberland mountains overlooking South Pittsburg, the Tennessee river, Battle Creek and the Sequatchie Valley, and here, at an elevation of about fifteen hundred feet above the valley, he owns seven hundred acres of land, constituting one of the finest and most valuable fruit farms in the state. When he began its development, he had an unbroken tract of forest land, but he at once began to clear and cultivate it and today the mountian side is a splendid orchard containing five thousand apple trees, about one thousand peach trees of many varieties, one hundred and fifty bearing cherry trees, many German prune trees, several varieties of plums and some pears. He has been very careful in the selection of his trees and raises fruit only of the finest quality, size and flavor.

He has also been successful in the cultivation of the smaller fruits, such as gooseberries, raspberries and strawberries, but his attention is given mostly to the cultivation of the larger fruits; and with what success is shown by the fact that at the Centennial Exposition in Nashville, in 1897, he won ten prizes, including first prize on early apples, on the best plate of apples, on early peaches, the second prize on a plate of peaches, the second on plums, the first prize on the best plate of plums, the second on grapes (Tennessee fruit), the first prize on German prunes when competing against a California exhibit, the first prize on the best plate of prunes, and the first prize on "grand fruit display." This was certainly a very creditable showing, and Marion county may well be proud of her commissioner to the Exposition,-Mathias Dietzen. in addition to the fruits already mentioned, he is also extensively engaged in the cultivation of grapes, having some two thousand vines, including the Concord, Delaware, Catawba, Niagara and Ives seedling, and the latter fruit compares favorably in size, quality and flavor, with those before alluded to.

When Mr. Dietzen began the cultivation of fruit he had no experience in that line save some little training received on his father's farm in early boyhood, but he is very observing, studied closely, profited by his mistakes as well as failures and was soon conversant with the best methods to be followed and understood thoroughly the needs of different kinds and varieties. He is now regarded as authority on all matters connected with fruit culture, and for his success he is certainly deserving of great credit. He has now added a nursery to his business, having fifty thousand trees, -apples, peaches, pears, plums, and cherries, besides grape vines, - all of the best varieties, both ingrafted and budded, This has proven to him a profitable source of income and has yielded very satisfactory results.

From the beginning success has attended his efforts, and the fine fruit which he raises has enabled him to command the highest market prices. His largest yield was sixteen bushels of Ben Davis apples to the tree which he sold for from a dollar and a half to two dollars a bushel. He has always had a home market in South Pittsburg, Bridgeport, Sewanee and Mont Eagle, and has shipped extensively to the cities. Every facility for the cultivation and care of his fruit has been secured. In addition to his fine residence, he has upon his farm a stone wareoom and cellar. The former is built of rock with a rock floor and double ceiling, the walls twenty inches thick, the ceiling twelve feet high, and the building twenty by twenty-two feet. It is also well ventilated and is an excellent storehouse for the fruit both winter and summer. In addition to this he has an extensive cellar fort-two by sixteen feet. A fine wine is also another product of this fruit farm, and in this, as in cultivation of the various fruits, Mr. Dietzen cannot be surpassed. His fruits are always the first upon the market and they cannot be excelled for size, variety, flavor or quality.

Mr. Dietzen was married June 2, 1868, to Miss Mary Kallenback, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, while her parents were natives of Germany. To this union have been born nine children, all living; Joseph, who is engaged in horticultural pursuits near his father and is meeting with excellent success; Theodore, proprietor of a saloon in South Pittsburg; Josephine, wife of John Luke of South Pittsburg, Rosie, Annie, Maggie, Katie, Mamie and Lula, all at home. The family belong to the Catholic church, and in the community where they reside are highly respected for their many excellencies of character. Mr. Dietzen is a Democrat in his political views, but has never been an aspirant for office, preferring to devote his time and energies to his business, in which he has met with signal success. He started out in life without capital, and his resolute spirit, sound judgment and unflagging industry have brought to him a handsome competence, which numbers him among the substantial citizens of Marion county.

Hon. John J. Dykes is one of the most important factors in the public and business life of Marion county, Tenn., and stands today in a prominent place among her leading men. His has been a well-spent life, and the success he has achieved is due entirely to his own efforts. Success comes not to the man who idly waits, but to the faithful toiler whose work is characterized by sleepless vigilance and cheerful alacrity. It is the result of earnest, diligent labor, and it is such qualities that have gained Mr. Dukes his standing in business circles, while his true worth and fitness for leadership have brought to him recognition in the form of political honors, of which he is deserving.

Mr. Dykes was born in Grundy county, Tenn., July 25, 1863, a son of Andrew Jackson and Mary (Barker) Dykes. His father was born in Grundy county, September 22, 1837, and died March 2, 1898. He was the son of John Dykes, who was the son of Ishem Dykes, and who died in Warren county, Tenn., on his return from Bowling Green Ky., whither he had gone during the war in order to care for his son, who was ill. The ancestors of our subject removed from North Carolina into northeastern Tennessee, and thence came to Grundy county. Andrew J. Dykes followed farming and trading throughout his active business career, and won a fair competence. Like his father, his sympathies went out to the Union cause during the Civil war, and he gave his political support to the Republican party. From Grundy county he removed to Sequatchie county, and in 1890 took up his residence in Whitwell, where he engaged in trading and in the livery business. In his religious belief he was Methodist, and during his residence in Grundy county was a member of the Masonic fraternity.

Andrew J. Dykes was married in February, 1858, to Miss Mary Barker, who was born in Sequatchie county, Tenn., March 15, 1837, and died February 1, 1889. Her father was Howell Barker, and the Barker family removed from North Carolina to eastern Tennessee, whence they finally came to Sequatchie county. Mr. and Mrs. Dykes became the parents of three children: Elizabeth, wife of N. T. Eagle of Sequatchie county; John J.: and Elijah, who was formerly in the employ of the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Company's store for quite a period but is now carrying on farming in Sequatchie county.

Mr. Dykes, whose name introduces this review, acquired his preliminary education in Altamont, Grundy county, and later attended Irving College, in Warren county. For six years he successfully engaged in teaching school and then spent some time in Texas and the southwest. When he and his father embarked in the livery business in Whitwell he became manager of the enterprise, and still carries on the business. He has a splendidly equipped stable supplied with a large number of fine horses and excellent carriages and other vehicles, and his earnest desire to please his patrons combined with his straightforward dealing has brought to him a large and profitable business.

On the 8th of January, 1888 Mr. Dykes was united in marriage to Miss Amanda Hudson, a daughter of Isaac Hudson, and a native of Marion county. She is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and a lady of social qualities who presides with gracious hospitality over their pleasant home. they have four children: Robert Anderson, Mamie, Oscar, and Myrtle. they also lost one, Edgar, who died in infancy.

In his social relations Mr. Dykes is a valued and popular member of the Knights of Pythias fraternity. He execises his right and franchise in support of men and measures of the republican party, and so well and favorably is he known in the ranks of that political organization that in 1896 he was nominated by acclamation to represent his county in the state legislature, where he served in a most creditable and acceptable manner. He was a member of the committees on emigration, labor and centennial, and to his duties he gave the most earnest and thoughtful consideration. he is a public-spirited, progressive citizen, deeply interested in everything pertaining to the welfare of the county, state and nation, Loyal and true to every duty of public and private life, honorable in business, faithful in friendship, he commands the respect and esteem of all who know him, and is well deserving of mention among the representative and valuable citizens of Marion county.

Robert Foster is one of Marion county's native sons and a representative of one of the most prominent and honored families, whose identification with her history dates from an early period in the development of the county. his father was born January 30, 1802, near St. Stephen's Chapel, London, England, and in 1835 crossed the Atlantic in the packet Philadelphia, landing in New York City in September of that last year. he first located in Detroit, Mich.,, but at an early day came to Marion county, Tenn., where he engaged in farming until his death, which occurred February 25, 1889. Though entirely self-educated, he was a very intelligent and well-read man, and possessed a very fine library, and one of the finest collections of pictures in the state, many of which were the work of his own hands. He was a natural artist, and in early life was employed as an engraver and draftsman. Prior to coming to this state he had lived for a time in Cincinnati, Ohio where as editor, he published the "Western Farmer and Gardener." After traveling to some extent through the south, he finally decided on Marion county, Tenn., as his future home , and in 1842 located upon the farm, where he spent his remaining days, giving his time and attention wholly to farming and stock raising. During the Civil war he served under Gen. S. B. Buckner, and at it's close was a member of the county court for many years.

Charles Foster was twice married, the first time in England, to Miss Gusta Smith, by whom he has one son, Charles, who recently died in Arkansas. He had traveled all over the world, and was with Walker in his central America Revolution. After the death of his first wife, Mr. Foster was again married, in 1852, his second union being with Miss Martha Shrum, who was born in Bledsoe county, Tenn., August 14, 1828, and is a daughter of Moses Shrum, an honored pioneer of this section of the state. Seven children were born of this union, of whom Francis the eldest, died in childhood. Those still living are Mary J., wife of Benjamin Harris; Martha, wife of G. W. Harris: Robert, of this sketch; Ellen, wife of Newton Fults; Sarah A.., wife of William Price: and Elizabeth, wife of Dr. W. R. C. Booher, a physician living near Bristol Tenn. The father was originally a Whig in politics, but in later years espoused the cause of the Democratic party and during the latter part of the war was sent as a prisoner to Fort Delaware, where he was retained for a few months. He was one of the most prominent and influential citizens of his community and was widely and favorably known throughout this section of the state. Religiously he was a member of the Episcopal church, to which his estimable wife also belongs.

Robert Foster, whose name introduces this sketch, was born in Marion county, may 15, 1860, and acquired his literary education at home and in the public schools of the neighborhood. Since starting out in life for himself he has been interested in the sawmill business and stock-raising, and has also worked at the carpenter's trade as a contractor and builder. In his undertakings he has met with fair success. he was married May 26, 1892, the lady of his choice being Miss Maggie Almany, a native of upper East Tennessee, and a daughter of Frank Almany. They now have five children: Charles, Robert, William, Ruth and Nellie. Mrs. Foster is a sincere member of the Methodist Episcopal church South, and both she and her husband are held in high regard by all who know them.

Capt. John Frater. - Only those lives are worthy of record that have been potential factors in the public progress, in promoting the general welfare or in any way advancing the interests of the community. As an expert mining engineer Mr. Frater was for many years prominently identified with the development of the coal districts of this section of the state, but has now retired from that business and devotes his time and attention to the improvement and cultivation of his farm in the Fifteenth district of Marion county. He is ever faithful to his duties of citizenship, and by the successful conduct of his business interests not only promotes individual success but also advances the general prosperity.

Mr. Frater was born December 10, 1832, in Penshaw, County, Durham, England, a son of William and Hannah (Stobart) Frater, the former being born in 1804, near Chatershaugh, the later at the Ship House at Ravensworth, County, Durham, in 1808, on the estate of Lord Ravensworth. Their marriage was celebrated in 1831, at Lamesley church on the same estate. The mother, who was the daughter of a farmer, died at her home in England at the age of forty-eight years. She was a devout member of the Wesleyan church, and was buried in the Chesterly street churchyard. Our subject was the oldest of her children, the others being: Bessie, who died in childhood; Lizzie, now a widow of Charles Scott, and a resident of Birmingham, Ala; Aaron, who died at the age of eight years; Willie, who died of typhoid fever at the age of six years; Hannah, who now keeps house for our subject; James, who died at the home of our subject and was buried in the Pryor cemetery, Marion county. In 1856 the father crossed the Atlantic and located in Allegheny county, Penn., where he followed his old line of occupation, that of sinking coal pits. In 1860 he came to the Etna mines in Marion county, Tenn., where he remained twelve years, and then went to Coal Creek, Anderson county, dying there in 1874. His remains were interred in that county.

At the early age of eight years the subject of this sketch commenced working in the mines of his native land, and was thus employed for two years before he decided to procure an education. he then entered a night school, where he pursued his studies until he attained his majority in this way acquiring a good practical education while continuing his work as a miner. By a semi-special license he was married at Liverpool, England, in 1854, to Miss Mary Watson, and the following day the young couple started for America on the "City of Philadelphia." After being out eight days they were shipwrecked off the coast of Newfoundland. The vessel was lost but the passengers were all saved and taken to St. Johns, Newfoundland, where they all remained for ten days. Mr. and Mrs. Frater then proceeded to Halifax, Nova Scotia, and two days later to Boston, and from the latter place to McKeesport, Penn. There they made their home until 1857, while Mr. Frater found employment in coal mining and coke burning. The latter year they removed to Illinois, but after working for about two years in various mines in that state, they removed to Marion county, Tenn., in 1859.

They located at the Etna mines, where the following twelve years were passed. Mr. Frater opened up the mines there and also at Castle rock, Ala., near Shellmound; Anderson County Coal Company's mines at Coal Creek and the Victoria and Whitwell mines. he is the oldest and the most successful mining engineer in this section of the country. About sixteen years ago he purchased his present farm in the Fifteenth district of Marion county, and has now retired from mining, giving his undivided attention to his farming operations, in which he has also met with marked success, becoming a well-to-do and prosperous citizen.

Mr. Frater has been called upon to mourn the loss of his estimable wife, who was a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and died in May, 1894, being laid to rest in the Pryor cemetery. Politically Mr. Frater is what may be termed a conservative Republican, and socially is a Master Mason, belonging to the lodge at Whitwell. His career has ever been such as to warrant the trust and confidence of the business world, for he has ever conducted all transactions on the strictest principles of honor and integrity. His devotion to the public good in unquestioned and arises from a sincere interest in his fellow men.

Flowers

return Return To Goodspeed's Biographies of Marion County Main Page

return Return To Marion County Home Page

September 3, 2003