Tennessee State Flag Tennessee State Flag
Marion County, Tennessee Genealogy

Goodspeed's Biographies of Marion County
M

published 1886

Flowers

WILLIAM BLACKSTONE MCDANIEL--The family name of our subject is one which has long and honorably been associated with the history of Tennessee, and is now worthily worn by W. B. McDaniel, who ranks among the most prominent and esteemed residents of Marion county. He was born in Yancey county, N. C., near Burnsville, May 9, 1831, and is a son of Rev. Goodson and Naomi (Young) McDaniel. His father was born in Warren county, Tenn., August 18, 1803, and died February 23, 1887, on Sand Mountain, Ala., after a long and useful life. His father, David McDaniel, was a native of Virginia, and about the year 1780 was married and removed to Tennessee, locating on Hickory creek, in Warren county. In 1813 he removed from there to Old Bolivar, Ala., which was then an Indian domain. He attempted to raise a crop, but this was a serious infraction of the Federal law at that time, and his crop was destroyed by regular soldiers. He, however, succeeded in making his escape, but his place was watched for some time in the hope of capturing him. His wife, during that period, would hang out a sheet if it was safe for him to venture home, but if the soldiers were near the sheet was taken in, and he was thus warned to keep in hiding. After a time he got a permit from the nation to open a blacksmith shop, which gave him a right to remain, and in connection with that industry he also engaged in raising stock. Not long afterward, however, he came to Tennessee, locating on land that is now part of South Pittsburg, and there made his home until his death. He and his wife now sleep in the cemetery at South Pittsburg.

Goodson McDaniel was their fifth child. His father was in limited circumstances, and under great disadvantages he acquired the education which he was so anxious to receive. He first received his preliminary education near South Pittsburg, and then attended school at Brainard, an old Indian mission school. Later he engaged in teaching in the Sequatchie valley, and at Nicojack was engaged in instructing the children of Holt, a Cherokee Indian. Again he attended school in order to perfect his own education, and through his earnest effort and by extensive reading he became a well-informed man. He was endowed by nature with strong mentality, and his abilities, both natural and acquired, made him one of the leading men of his section of the state. In early life, probably before 1820, he joined the Methodist church, and in 1823 became connected with the Holston conference, of which he was a member at the time of his death, though his relation therewith had not been continuous. Gov. William J. Brownlow did his first church work under the Rev. McDaniel, and they continued life-long friends, in spite of their political differences.

Mr. McDaniel continued his labors in the ministry throughout his entire life, and experienced all the hardships of the circuit rider in sparsely settled districts. The last circuit of which he had charge was Black Mountain, in North Carolina, where his duties were particularly difficult on account of the wilderness of the country, but he never shrank from any task, no matter how much hardship it might involve. He was a consecrated , noble life, and the world is better for his having lived. During his residence in North Carolina, from 1829 until 1838, he was not connected with the Holston conference.

Rev. Goodson McDaniel was united in marriage with Miss Naomi Young, daughter of Wesley Young, who was drowned in the Catawba river in North Carolina. By her marriage she became the mother of six children, of whom two died in infancy, while four are still living, namely: William B.; Mary L., a resident of Marion county; Rachel L., wife of William Wen, of Sequatchie City; and Nancy E., wife of George W. Moore. The mother of this family was also a devout Christian, holding membership in the Methodist church. She was killed, April 29, 1842, by a falling limb of a tree, and the father afterward married Rachel B. Longacre, an educated lady and teacher of prominence, who died just before the war. They were married in Wytheville, Virginia. For his third wife, Goodson McDaniel chose Miss Elizabeth Cagle, a widow who is now living in Rising Fawn, Ga.

After his first marriage he located in North Carolina, where he remained until 1838, and in connection with his ministerial duties he carried on farming. In that year he came to Marion county, Tenn., locating on the south side of the river in the Eighth district, on land that belonged to his daughter, Mary L. McDaniel. There he resided for four years, and in 1842 removed to a farm now occupied by George W. Moore, near McDaniel chapel. In 1859 he again joined his old conference and took charge of the Trenton circuit, which included the corners of Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee, and consisted of eighteen appointments. In 1860 he was stationed at Cleveland, Bradley county, where he remained for one year. He then continued on the farm until 1862, when he removed to Sand Mountain, Jackson county, Ala., making his home there until his death. From 1844 until 1848 he taught in the old Sam Houston Academy, at Jasper, and his wife was a teacher in the same institution. He was an able educator as well as minister, and was a supporter of every interest that tended to elevate humanity. He gave his political support to the Whig party and was opposed to succession. Socially he was a Royal Arch Mason and was an earnest advocate of the temperance cause, by example and precept supporting that measure. On one occasion he was offered the degree of D. D. by Emory & Henry College, but did not accept it, willing to labor in the service of the Master, without honors bestowed by men. He built at his own expense, in 1857, McDaniel chapel, which was named in his honor, but it was destroyed by the Federal troops in the Civil war; however, it has since been rebuilt by Mr. G. W. Moore, and stands as a monument to the upright life of Mr. McDaniel. His influence is immeasurable, but the memory of his noble life remains as a blessed benediction to all who knew him and is enshrined in the hearts of his many friends who loved him for his unostentatious yet godly life.

William B. McDaniel whose names introduces this review, acquired the greater part of his education in the Sam Houston Academy, from 1844 to 1848. Before this he had received instructions from his father, who then taught the Gilliam school. Later he studied under Absalom Bly, and in 1842-42 attended a school taught by his father at Coal City, and in 1843-44 at Rice Place, where Inman is now located. Thus provided with good educational privileges, he was well fitted for the practical duties of life, and is accounted one of the intelligent and valued citizens of the community in which he resides.

Since 1852 he has resided upon his present farm, and in that year raised his first crop there. He owns three hundred acres of valuable land on the south side of the Tennessee river, and to its care and cultivation devotes his energies, having made it one of the best farms in the district. He is progressive and enterprising and the many improvements on the place indicate his careful supervision. His labors were interrupted, however, during the Civil war, for in the fall of 1861, he joined the Tennessee state troops, and on the 1st on January, 1862, became a member of Rankin’s company, which command was attached to the army of General Forrest. He participated in many engagements, and after the battle of Chickamauga was detailed to do scouting duty in his own neighborhood. He was taken prisoner October 14, 1863, while at the home of G. W. Moore, and sent to Camp Morton, Indianapolis, where he was held until May, 1865. In politics he has always been a stalwart Democrat. In 1842 he united with the Methodist church, and is now a member of the board of trustees of McDaniel chapel. Socially he was a Mason until after the war and has held membership in the Grange and the Farmers Alliance. Almost his entire life has been passed in Marion county, and his circle of friends is almost co-equal with the circle of his acquaintances.

WILLIAM MCNABB, a representative farmer of Marion county, is pleasantly located in the Sixth district, on the banks of the Tennessee river, where he is maintaining his place among the progressive and intelligent men around him, engaged in agricultural pursuits. Upon that farm he was born July 10, 1844, a son of David and Margaret (Long) McNabb. On coming to this state with his parents, the father first settled in Meigs county, but later came to Marion county, locating on the north side of the river when the indians still occupied the south side. With the early development of this region he was prominently identified, was a successful farmer, and also owned and operated the McNabb mines, boating coal down the river to market. In his political views he was a Republican. David McNabb was born March 2, 1811, and died in Marion county, February 8, 1880, and his wife, who was a native of the county, born February 28, 1811, passed away June 24, 1884, honored and respected by all who knew them.

Of their nine children, seven are still living, namely: Jane, wife of Andrew Lawson, now a resident of Midlothian, Texas; Alexander, a farmer of the Sixth district of Marion county; John, who operates a farm on the south side of the river in the same county; Rachel, who married William Anderson, but both are now deceased; Silas, a farmer of the Sixth district; Annie, wife of Lewis Carlton, of Aetna, Mont.; David, who was a member of the Fourth Tennessee Federal Cavalry and died in Nashville; and William.

The subject of this sketch was educated in the schools of the Sixth district, and was reared to habits of thrift and industry. Feeling that his country needed his services, he laid aside all personal interests in July, 1863, and enlisted in Company I, First Tennessee Federal Infantry, but was afterward transferred to the Tenth Regiment, with which he served until the close of the war. On his return home he commenced farming on the farm at Mullin’s Cove, on the banks of the Tennessee, where he still lives, and has demonstrated his skill and ability as an agriculturist , the well tilled fields yielding bountiful harvests.

In February, 1865, Mr. McNabb was united in marriage with Miss Louisa Sexton, a daughter of Joseph Sexton, born July 10, 1844, and they became the parents of the following children: Curry, who is now working in the McNabb Mines; Isabel, with of Thomas Ridge, of Fairmont; John, David, Finis, George and Tommie, all at home; and Margaret and an infant, deceased. The wife and mother was called to her final rest August 25, 1892, and Mr. McNabb was again married April 31, 1893, his second union being with Miss Sarah Ellis, who was born February 15, 1847. She is a daughter of William Ellis. She is a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. McNabb is an ardent Republican in politics, taking a deep and commendable interest in public affairs.

WILLIAM RICHARD MCREE, one of Marion county’s popular and efficient physicians, was born in Soddy, Tenn., May 23, 1863, a son of Robert Clark and Mary A. (Anderson) McRee, the father born in Soddy, Tenn., in 1836, and the mother at Sunnyside, Tenn., in 1840. Robert Clark McRee was the son of Robert Clark McRee, Sr., who was born in Charlotte, N. C., and moved to Soddy in an early day, and assisted in removing the Indians from that section to their reservation in the Indian Territory. He died at his home in Tennessee in 1878.

Robert Clark McRee, the father of our subject, received his primary training in the Mobry School, and afterward studied law with Judge Hopkins, of Atlanta, Ga. He commenced the practice of law in 1866, at Chattanooga, and was thus engaged for four years. He then became connected with the Soddy Coal Co., and after working in their employ for four years, he severed his connection with the company to accept the office of judge of Hamilton county and served one term, or eight years. He was then appointed coal oil inspector at Chattanooga, and served in that capacity two years. In 1894 he retired from public life and has since devoted his time to agricultural pursuits on a farm situated two miles east of the village of Soddy, which has been his home since he settled in Hamilton county.

He was also a soldier in the Civil war, enlisting in the Confederate army early in the war and served until its close. He was married in 1861, to Miss Mary Anderson, daughter of Col. Josiah Anderson who was stabbed to death on the account of his extreme Southern sympathies. They are the parents of a family of eleven children, of whom the subject of our sketch is the oldest. The second in the order of birth is Josiah A. McRee, M. D.; Nannie died while young; Thomas died while young; Lizzie, unmarried; Alma, wife of Thomas R. Sangster, an attorney living in Chattanooga, Tenn.; Anna, deceased, was the wife of James E. Davis, now of Sherman, Texas; Hugh C., a physician; and Iris, Dugal and Park are still unmarried. The parents are both living. They are Old-School Presbyterians, and socially the father is a Master Mason, holding his membership in the lodge at Soddy.

Dr. William Richard McRee, the subject of this sketch, was educated in the common schools of Soddy, the University of Tennessee, and King College at Bristol. Tenn. He also attended the lectures at the Vanderbilt University, at Nashville, Tenn., graduating in 1887 with the degree of M. D., and began practice the following year at Whitwell, where he still makes his home and base of operations. The life of Dr. McRee since locating in Whitwell has been one of continued successes in every direction and in every line in which his faculties have been directed. He is prominent in the social circles of the village and vicinity. In matters tending to the general welfare and to develop the business and social interests of his adopted town he has taken a hearty interest and has aided materially in various ways in the upbuilding and strengthening of good local government. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen Order of the World and the White Shield. He is also a member of the Old-School Presbyterian church. As a man and citizen he is highly respected, and as a physician and surgeon he stands at the head of his profession and has built up an extensive and profitable practice. Politically he is a Democrat.

CAPTAIN JAMES W. MCREYNOLDS, one of the most prosperous and substantial farmers as well as one of the leading and highly respected citizens of the Eighth district of Marion county, is a native of Tennessee, born February 19, 1836, in Bledsoe county, three miles south of Pikeville, and is a son of Samuel and Mary Jane (Hale) McReynolds. The father was a native of Virginia and during boyhood was taken by his father, Samuel McReynolds, Sr., to Bledsoe county, being among the first settlers of the valley. Samuel McReynolds, Jr., was a successful farmer and stock raiser, and was probably the most prosperous citizen of Bledsoe county at that time. He died on our subject’s birthday, February 19, 1965, on the farm now occupied by I. S. McReynolds, and on the same day the Captain, whose command was President Davis’ escort, was forced to surrender near Washington, Ga. For several years the father was a member of the Masonic lodge at Pikeville, and was a Whig in politics and did not favor secession. He was twice married, his first wife being Miss Mary Jane Hale, a native of Blount county, Tenn., and a daughter of Alexander Hale. She died when our subject was a mere child, and the father afterward married Annie Stephens, a daughter of Isaac Stephens, of Bledsoe county. Her death occurred in 1869 or 1870.

By the first marriage the following children were born: Margaret, wife of Judge Frazier, of Davidson county, Tenn.; Alex H. And Samuel M., both farmers of Bledsoe county; Sarah, wife of Alexander Pope, a farmer of the same county; Claibourne D., farmer and stock raiser of Texas; and James W., of this sketch. The only one deceased is Mary J., who died in girlhood. By the second union the children are Isaac S., who lives on his father’s old farm; Martha, wife of W. R. Pope, of Pikeville, Tenn.; T. S., also a farmer of Bledsoe county; and three who died in childhood.

Captain McReynolds attended school at Pikeville, and completed his literary education at Burritt college in 1854. He then engaged in farming in Bledsoe county until 1861, when he enlisted in Company I., Eight Tennessee Confederate Cavalry, being commissioned captain of his company, which was part of Gen. Joseph Wheeler’s command and was in many important engagements. He participated in the campaign in West Tennessee, was in the engagement at Parker’s Cross Roads, and the battle of Chickamauga, and the engagement at the Salt Works in Virginia. He was in the retreat from Chickamauga to Atlanta, and when the war was over returned home. During the siege of Knoxville he was taken prisoner, but a few hours later was recaptured by his own command, and for nearly a month he was one of President Davis’ escorts.

In the fall of 1865 captain McReynolds went to San Antonio, Texas, making that place his headquarters while engaged in the stock business for three years, and than began driving ponies overland from that state to East Tennessee, and as it proved a profitable business, he continued in the same for four years. At the end of that time he came to Marion county, where he now owns seven hundred acres of very fine farming land on the south side of the Tennessee river and the mountains on the opposite side help to make the prospect a most delightful one. Besides his valuable property the Captain owns other fine farms. Upon his home place is the entrance of the famous Nicojack Cave, which is probably as large as Mammoth cave of Kentucky, and during early days was a rendezvous of the Indians. Colonel Holt was buried near the entrance of the cave and during the Civil war quite a battle was fought near there and Colonel Orr, a Federal commander, was killed.

On November 26, 1872, Captain McReynolds was united in marriage with Miss Martha Graham, who was born in Marion county, in 1851, and is a daughter of Pope Graham. They have three children and the only son, Hope, still lives with his parents. Joe and Jim were twins, and the former is now the wife of J. P. Howard, but Miss Jim died in 1894. The parents hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and in social circles occupy an enviable position. The Captain is a Democrat in politics, and for twelve years was a prominent member of the county court.

JOHN LEMUEL MINTER, a representative and influential citizen of Marion county, who owns and occupies a good farm two and one-half miles southeast of Jasper, is a native of Tennessee, his birth occurring at Lynchburg, Moore county, April 24, 1844. His parents, Anthony and Nancy (Price) Minter, were both natives of North Carolina, born on the Tar river, probably in Buncombe county, but when young went to Mississippi, and in Tishomingo county, that state, were married. The maternal grandfather, William Price, died in Mississippi, but the death of Richard Minter, the paternal grandfather, occurred in Jasper county, Ga. About 1843, Anthony Minter and his wife came to Tennessee, and after living for a time in Moore county, and at Wauhatchie, Hamilton county, took up their residence in Jasper, Marion county. The father was a successful merchant, but by aiding friends he lost heavily, and finally disposed of that business, removing to a farm at Sorrel’s Mill, on the Sequatchie river. He leased the mill, which he operated while his sons cleared and improved the farm. Anthony Minter, during the Civil war, was in the Confederate army and was killed at Petersburg, Va., when the breastworks were blown by General Butler, in the summer of 1864. His wife died at Rome, Ga. In their family were seven children, five sons and two daughters, of whom only three sons are now living. John L. Is the eldest; James is a farmer residing near Rome, Ga., and Robert lives near his brother, in that state. Those deceased are William, who was one of the county officials of Floyd county, Ga., where his death occurred; Thomas who was killed on the Nashville & Chattanooga railroad while in the employ of that company; Julia Ann, who married William Beck and died near Cave Spring, Ga; and Sarah J.

During his boyhood Mr. Minter of this review, attended school to some extent in Jasper, but when the Civil war broke out in 1861, he was working at Monticello, Ga., where he enlisted in Capt. Lee Lane’s company, of the Fourteenth Georgia Confederate Infantry, remaining in the service until hostilities ceased. He participated in the second battle of Manassaa Junction, and the engagements at Seven Pines, Williamsburg and Fredericksburg, besides many others. At Gaines Mill he was wounded in the foot and had a finger shot off, while another shot passed through his shoulder, all happening so close together that it was impossible to tell which wound was received first. After being confined to the hospital for some time, he was engaged in guarding prisoners at Macon, Ga., and then returned to his home in that state.

For two years after the war Mr. Minter lived in Rome, Ga., and at the end of that period returned to Jasper, Tenn., where he was employed in the mercantile establishment of Redfield & Co., followed by service with the following firms: S. B. Deakins, G. S. Deakins, W. B. Mitchell and A. A. Coppinger. He then purchased his present farm, two and one-half miles southeast of that city, it being the place on which his father located on retiring from mercantile pursuits, and which our subject helped to clear during his boyhood. He has met with decided success in his farming operations, and is now regarded as one of the most substantial and reliable citizens of the community.

On the 8th of June, 1875, Mr. Minter was united in marriage with Miss Eliza A. Lewis, a daughter of Rev. Charles Lewis, and to them have been born the following children, all living with the exception of Roddy, who died in childhood. The others are Samuel D., Scott, James, Charles, Harley, Herchal and Lilly May.

The Democratic party has always found in Mr. Minter a stanch supporter, and on that ticket he was elected county court clerk in 1874, although the county usually had a large Republican majority. This fact plainly shows his popularity and the confidence and trust reposed in him by his fellow citizens, and that this confidence was not misplaced is also evidenced by the capable and satisfactory manner in which he performed the duties of the office, gaining for him a re-election on the expiration of his four years’ term. He was also elected justice of the peace to fill a vacancy caused by the death of Chairman William Bennette. After serving in that position he was employed as a salesman for six years by Roddy Brothers at Tracy City. It was though his influence that the first bridge was built across the Sequatchie river at Sorrel’s Mills, as he made up half the cost and the county paid the balance. He has always been an enterprising, public-spirited citizen, giving his support to every object which he believed calculated to benefit his county or state, and is therefore deserving of honorable mention among the valued and useful citizens of the community. Socially he is a prominent member of Olive Branch lodge, F. & A. M., and also the Knights or Labor.

CHARLES CARROLL MOORE is one of South Pittsburg’s popular attorneys and holds quite a prominent position among the members of the bar of Marion county, both for his legal ability and his forensic power. He was born and reared and has spent the greater part of his life in the eastern part of Tennessee and has gained an enviable reputation, especially in the county in which he has been for a number of years an acting attorney.

Mr. Moore was born in the Eighth civil district, Marion county, Tenn., October 12, 1872, a son of George and Nancy Elizabeth (McDaniel) Moore. Both of these families are among the oldest in the county, and a brief history of the Moore family will appear in the sketch of N. B. Moore, on another page of this work. The McDaniel family moved to Scotland to the north of Ireland, and migrated from there, in an early day, to northern Virginia. David McDaniel was a soldier in the war of 1812, as were also six brothers. The father of this family was the first to land in America. David McDaniel moved from Virginia to White county, Tenn., in 1800, but not being suited with that locality, he sold out within a few years and moved to what is now the town of South Pittsburg, and there spent the remaining years of his life. He had a family of ten children, four of whom were sons, viz: John, a farmer, died when quite young; Goodson; Walter was a minister in the North Alabama conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, for fifty-three years; and Andrew T., who died while quite young.

Goodson McDaniel, our subject’s grandfather, was born in 1803, and died in 1887. He gained a classical education at a southern Virginia collegiate institution and through his own efforts. He was admitted to the bar, practiced law for a short time, but discontinued the practice of law for the work of the ministry. Joining the Holston conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, he was actively engaged in church work until the war, being stationed at Cleveland, Knoxville and other important places. He afterward retired from the ministry, returned to Marion county and made his home in the Eighth district, on the south side of the river. He was a member of the county court, a Democrat in politics, and socially he was a member of the Olive Branch Masonic lodge at Jasper. He was for many years a teacher and many of the older citizens of the county acquired their education while attending the school over which he presided. His first wife was Naomi Young, a native of North Carolina, and whose brother was for several years a member of congress and was quite wealthy. She was killed by a falling limb of a tree, and left a family of four children: William B., Mary Lucretia, Rachel Sophronia and Nancy Elizabeth. Mr. McDaniel subsequently married Rachael B. Longacre, a graduate of and a teacher in Martha Washington College, of Virginia. No children were born to this union. After her death Mr. McDaniel married Elizabeth Blevins, of Rising Fawn, Ga. She is still living and making her home in Rising Fawn.

George W. Moore, our subject’s father, was born at Red Hill, Marion county, September, 1835. He received his education at Burritt College, Van Buren, county, Tenn., working at various occupations to pay his way through school. He was a clerk in a store owned by Wash Tanner, at Jasper, for several years, and while there he met Miss McDaniel, who became his wife in 1858. After his marriage he began farming in the Eighth district, Marion county, and at that vocation was very successful. He has been justice of the peace and also register of deeds of the county. Both he and his wife are members of the McDaniel Chapel, M. E. Church, South, which Mr. Moore rebuilt. The building had formerly been erected by Rev. Goodson McDaniel, for whom it was named, but was burned during the war by Federal troops. Mr. Moore is one of the trustees and the steward of the society in which he holds membership and also holds as official position in the Holston conference. He belongs to the Olive Branch lodge of the Masonic fraternity, at Jasper, and in politics is identified with the Democratic party. Mr. And Mrs. George W. Moore are the parents of a family of four children, of whom our subject is the youngest, and of whom we have the following record: Goodson McDaniel, a farmer living near his father’s farm; Ara Alto, wife of Rev. J. F. Wampler, of the Holston conference, and is now stationed at Jackson, Tenn.; W. O., who is still living with his parents; and Charles Carroll, our subject.

Charles Carroll Moore attended the public schools in the district in which his boyhood was spent and then entered the Pryor Institute at Jasper. After leaving this institution he took a a course at the U. S. Grant University at Athens, Tenn. He next entered the law department of the Cumberland University, at Lebanon, Tenn., from which he graduated in June 1894, and at once formed a partnership with Colonel A. J. Spears, of Jasper and commenced the practice of law. In October 1894, he moved to South Pittsburg, where they have since been engaged in the practice of law, continuing his partnership with Colonel A. J. Spears. Our subject has been city attorney of this city and has also been tax attorney for the city. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, has filled all the chairs in that lodge, and is the present post counsellor. He belongs to the Marion lodge, A. F. & A. M., at South Pittsburg, the Junior Order United American Mechanics, Woodmen of the World, and the Alpha Tau Omega, a college society, and the Regents of the White Shield. Politically he is a Democrat.

GEORGE W. MOORE is one of the honored residents of Marion county, and has been a promoter of the varied interests which ten toward its advancement and upbuilding. The educational, moral and material welfare of his district has been promoted through his effective labors, and no movement fro the public good ever seeks his aid in vain. In business he sustains an irreproachable reputation and over his life record there falls no shadow of wrong. Endowed by nature with a sound judgment and an accurate, discriminating mind, he fears not that laborious attention to the details of business so necessary to achieve success, and this essential quality is ever guided by a sense of moral right which will tolerate only the employment of those means that will bear the most rigid examination by a fairness of intention that neither seeks nor requires disguise.

Mr. Moore was born at Red Hill, Marion county, Tenn., September 21, 1833, and is a son of George W. And Nancy Eliza (Davis) Moore. The former, it is supposed, was a native of southwestern Virginia, and was a son of John Moore, who was born in Virginia, and was of Irish lineage. Representatives of the family loyally served their county in the war of the Revolution. John Moore was a farmer by occupation, and was one of the honored pioneers of the Sequatchie valley who came to Marion county about the time of its organization and before Cheekville was made the county seat. He died in 1820, at an advanced age. George Moore, the father of our subject, was a surveyor and civil engineer, and it is thought was a student in a college in upper east Tennessee. In connection with surveying he also followed school teaching to some extent. He served as deputy sheriff of Marion county and also belonged to the militia, being quite noted as a drill master. In politics he was a Democrat, and socially he was connected with Olive Branch lodge, A. F. & A. M., of Jasper, while religiously, his wife was connected with the Cumberland Presbyterian church. They were the parents of ten children, of whom the following is the record: J. D. died in infancy, N. B. Was a farmer and served in the Third Confederate Cavalry of Tennessee, Martha J. Is the wife of P. H. Grayson, of Whitwell, Tenn. Millie Ann is the wife of Calvin Maxwell, a farmer of Grayson county, Texas. George W. Is the next of the family. M. D., who died in 1888 and was a farmer by occupation, served in the Third Confederate Regiment, and was wounded at Fort Donelson and Stone river: Emeline, who married James M. Grayson, and who is living in Texas: Thomas J., who was a member of the Third regiment, died in Sequatchie county. He participated in the battles of Fort Donelson, Chickamauga, Stone’s River and other important engagements, and in the first named was wounded. James M., now in Texas, was a member of the Fifth Tennessee Regiment of Confederate troops, under Col. B. H. Hill, and at Shiloh was taken prisoner. He was wounded in that engagement and was reported dead, but being captured by the Union forces was sent as a prisoner of war to Camp Douglas, Chicago, where he remained for a year, his family supposing that he had been killed until, after his release from prison, he visited his home while on his way to the army. He was afterward detailed as one of the Whitworth sharpshooters in gen. Pat Clebourne’s command and valiantly battled for the cause in which he so firmly believed. Later he attended the People’s College and then engaged in teaching school in Texas. He was elected to represent San Saba and Barnett counties in the state legislature of Texas and was a most prominent citizen of that community. Becoming a minister of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, he filled many important pulpits in the south. He was again called to public office to serve as probate judge of Barnett county, elected on the Prohibition ticket and filled that office in a most acceptable manner for a long period. The youngest member of the family is Rev, Richard Moore, of Whitwell.

George W. Moore whose name begins this review was reared on his father’s farm near Red Hill and supplemented his education by a two years’ course in Altine Seminary, then under the presidency of Professor Mobery. He afterward engaged in teaching for two years at Sulpher Springs, Shiloh and other places in the Sequatchie valley, and in 1858 secured a clerkship in the store of Washington Turner, of Jasper. The following year he was elected register of Marion county. For some years he has taken a deep interest and active interest in the raising of fine horses, cattle and other stock, and has done much to improve the grade of stock in this part of the state. His fine farm, known as Prospect Hill, is one of the best improved in Marion county, and its well tilled fields and substantial buildings plainly indicate the thrift and enterprise of the owner.

Although Mr. Moore has led a busy life, he has yet found time to devote to outside interests which concern his duty to his fellowmen. He became a member of Olive Branch lodge, A. F. & A. M., of Jasper, in 1859, and also belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen, several times representing the local lodge in the grand lodge. In 1852 he became a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and has since been one of its most prominent and zealous workers. He has many times served as lay delegate from the Chattanooga district to the Holston conference and is a member of the joint board of finance. He is also recording steward of the Etna circuit, and a member of the board of trustees of McDaniel Chapel. That house of worship was erected by Mr. Moore in 1886-7, the original building having been destroyed by Federal troops during the war. He has also been a delegate to the state Grange in its meetings at Knoxville and Jackson, and has been reporter tot he state agricultural department for twelve years, also to the department in Washington, D. C.

On the 19th of September, 1861, Mr. Moore was united in marriage with Miss Nancy Eliza McDaniel, a daughter of the Rev. Goodson McDaniel. She was educated under the direction of her father and her step other, both of whom were teachers of superior ability, and is a lady of culture and refinement. Four children have blessed this union: Goodson McDaniel, a prominent farmer of the Eighth district of Marion county and a member of the county court; Ara A., who was educated at People’s College, at Pikeville. Tenn., and at Centenary College, of Cleveland, Tenn., and now is the wife of Rev. J. F. Wampler, of Holston conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, who for four years was pastor of the church at Jonesboro, Tenn., but is now at Fincastle, Tenn.; William O., who is on the home farm; and Charles C. The family are all members of the Methodist church and are very active workers. In Politics Mr. Moore is a stalwart Democrat and has been a valued and efficient member of the county court for a number of years. In business circles he is progressive and enterprising, but yet retains the courteous, gentlemanly manner of the old school, and his home is noted for the true southern hospitality. In all the relations of his life he has been true and faithful to the trust reposed in him and his noble example should serve as a source of inspiration and encouragement to representatives of the younger generation.

Dr. Napolean Bonaparte Moore is a capable and successful dentist of Whitwell, Marion county, where he has won an enviable standing in his chosen profession. He belongs to a family that has long been identified with the history of the state, and well sustains its honor and dignity.

Dr. Moore is a son of Reverend Richard Jackson and Lizzie (Condra) Moore, and was born in the northern part of the county, June 2, 1869, just one hundred years after the birth of his illustrious namesake. His father has been for many years a venerated clergyman of Marion county, and still makes his home on the farm where he was born in July 6, 1842, and here he is peacefully passing the last years of a useful life. His wife, a daughter of James A. Condra, did not long survive her marriage, but early entered into the heavenly life, leaving two children behind her as a consolation to her bereaved husband, the subject of this writing, and a younger son, Abner L., who is still in school and as yet unmarried.

George W. Moore, the paternal grandfather of the Whitwell dentist, was born January 25, 1799. He had a long and eventful life and his remains are interred in the Red Hill cemetery. Here also repose the ashes of his wife, Nancy Davis, who was born July 19, 1806, and died January 13, 1882. He was a public-spirited and generous man, and contributed the land on which the Red Hill church and schoolhouse stand, and the cemetery is established. He had little opportunity for instruction in early life, but an indomitable spirit pushed him on, and he became a leading man in the affairs of this part of the state. He was a surveyor, and served Marion county as sheriff. He was a major of the militia, and assisted in the removal of the Indians to their new quarters in Indian Territory. He was a Master Mason at Jasper, and prominent in the Democratic party. His father, John, came from North Carolina, where his ancestors had settled on coming from Ireland. He had one brother, Richard W., who went into Benton county, Arkansas, and died during the Civil war, leaving a large family. Nancy Davis, mentioned above, had a varied and eventful history. She was the daughter of Major Davis, a veteran of many wars who died at Pulaski, Tennessee. She was born at Jonesboro, Tennessee, and married when only thirteen years of age to a Mr. Bacon who was killed by falling from his horse. She was the mother of ten children, of whom all but one attained maturity. John was the name of her first born, who died while still an infant. Napoleon B. died July 6, 1865, just after his return from the Confederate army. Martha J. is the wife of Patrick H. Grayson, a prominent farmer whose home is not far away. G. W. has his home near Shellmound, Marion county. Millie A. is the wife of Calvin Maxwell, an eloquent clergyman of the Protestant Methodist church, whose field of work is now in Texas. M. D. L. died in Nashville. Emeline is the wife of James Grayson, and is with her husband in Montague county, Texas. Thomas J. died March 31, 1896 in Sequatchie county. James M. lives at Llano, Texas, where he is widely known as a minister of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. The esteem in which he is held by the community is evidenced by his election as a probate judge. He has also been in the state legislature. Richard Jackson, the father of the subject of this sketch, had an exciting career as a member of Company H, Fourth Tennessee Confederate Cavalry, in which he served nearly four years as a private under Captain Rankin. He was on detached service much of the time, but participated in the battles of Perryville, Chickamauga, and Stones River. He was taken prisoner at Van Buren, Ala., but was in captivity only eight days. He escaped by jumping from a rapidly moving train as he was being carried northward, and rejoined his command. When the war closed, his sole possessions were a poor horse and a ragged uniform. But he had a strong heart, and faced the problems of destitution as he had the dangers of war. He soon made a place for himself, and dared to marry within two years, Lizzie Condra becoming his wife August 15, 1867. She died April 27, 1878, and two years later, August 27, 1880, he took to himself a second wife, Nancy J. Andes. He united with the Cumberland Presbyterian church at the age of fifteen years and almost immediately began preaching the gospel, and for twenty-five years has been regularly connected with the ministry. During that time he has had charge of many churches and has preached in fifteen surrounding counties. He is a member of the Masonic order at Whitwell and is a Democrat.

Dr. Napoleon B. Moore, whose name introduces this article, has enjoyed unusual educational advantages by which he has greatly profited. He has made the most of the public schools, and is a graduate of the dental department of the Vanderbilt University of Nashville. He graduated in 1892, but had been engaged in practice at Whitwell since the spring of 1891. Dr. Moore was married June 7, 1893 to Miss Alice Ashburn. She is a daughter of B. F. and Susan (Price) Ashburn, who first drew her breath November 29, 1871, at their home near Whitwell. She was educated in the public schools of the valley, and is the mother of two promising children, Henry Grady, born January 7, 1894 and Randolph Judson, April 25, 1896. Dr. Moore and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and have a host of friends. He is a member of the fraternal order of the Knights of Pythias, and as a consistent Democrat cast his first vote for Grover Cleveland for president.

Dr. Robert Alvison Breck Moyers, one of Jasper's popular and leading dentists, was born in Bledsoe county, Tenn., August 28, 1843, a son of Dr. Christopher and Sarah (McGowen) Moyers. The father was a son of James and Mary Moyers, the former of whom is supposed to have been born in Culpepper county, Va., and was of German descent. He moved in an early day to French Broad river, near the mouth of Long creek, in Jefferson county, Tenn., and died there. His wife, Sarah, was the daughter of Pettigrew and Elizabeth McGowen, and was born at Spartanburg, S. C., and died several years subsequent to her husband in Bledsoe county, Tenn.

Christopher Moyers, the father of our subject, was a physician. He was reared in Jefferson county, Tenn., moved to Bledsoe county about the year 1830 and settled on a farm, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits in connection with his medical practice. He bought a large tract of land in the Cumberland mountains and made that his home until his death, which occurred in 1860, after a severe and painful illness. He and his wife were both members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. They were the parents of a family of twelve children, of whom our subject is the youngest, and of whom we have the following record: James P., deceased; Oliver H., deceased; Mary, living in White county, Tenn.; Emaline, deceased; Nancy, deceased; Sarah, deceased; Thompson, McMinnville, Tenn.; Henry, White county, Tenn.; Darwin and John died in infancy; Terressa, living near Pikeville; and Dr. Robert Alyison Breck. After the death of Christopher Moyers, his widow lived with her daughter Terressa, and died while making her home there near Pikeville.

Dr. Moyers, the subject of this sketch, was educated in the public schools of the district in which he spent his boyhood. He did not attend college, as the breaking out of the war put an end to his studies for a time. He accordingly began farming, and was thus engaged until 8167, when he began the study of dentistry. In 1869 he began the practice of his profession in Pikeville, and practiced there until the fall of 1880, at which time he moved to Jasper, where he has since made his home and base of operations. December 10, 1871, he was united in marriage with Miss Martha J. Hamilton, who was born in Bledsoe county, Tenn., twelve miles above Pikeville, the daughter of Benjamin and Mary Hamilton. To this union have been born two children: Walter E. a school teacher and Lillie May, a teacher of music. The entire family are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and the Doctor is a Master Mason, holding his membership in the lodge at Pikeville. Politically, he is a Democrat, and has always adhered to the principles of that party, but in 1860 was opposed to secession, although he was in sympathy with the southern cause. Dr. Moyers is a man of much energy, and upon leaving the dental department of the University of Tennessee in 1883, he passed very high in his examinations, and has been very successful in his practice. He is a man of good business qualifications, of the best of character, and is held in high esteem by all with whom he comes in contact.

Flowers

return Return To Goodspeed's Biographies of Marion County Main Page

return Return To Marion County Home Page

September 20, 2003