Search billions of records on

Tennessee State Flag

Ross Family Newspaper Articles


PLS NOTE: Clippings retyped by Carol J. Tate-DeGraff, due to poor copy quality:
(1) article dated 8-23-1923
Mining City Scene of Another Unfortunate Affray.
Tracy City, Aug. 18 –James M. Ross shot and instantly killed Peter McGovern at McGovern’s home near Palmer, about 4 o’clock Friday afternoon. Bad blood has existed between these men for sometime on account of family relations and it is reported that immediate trouble arose over a dispute as to the ownership of some land. McGovern had exchanged his place here in Tracy City, with the widow of one of Ross’ sons for a place near Palmer. It seemed that McGovern was laying claim to land claimed by Ross, according to the report, but how this was is not known. Ross is about 70 years old and almost blind from the effects of a cancer. He has a wife and several grown children. McGovern was about 60 years old and a widower with several children.

(2) article dated 1981
Della Bryant Varner of Beersheba Springs died July 13 Warren County General Hospital in McMinnville following a short illness. She was 84 years old.
Services were Wednesday afternoon from the Killian Church of God, of which she was a member, with the Rev. Malcom James officiating. Burial was in Burketts Chapel Cemetery in Gruetli-Laager.
Mrs. Varner was a daughter of the late Samuel and Mary Jane Ross Brown.
She is survived by a son, Leroy Bryant of Sequatchie; three daughters, Enda Robinson of Jasper, Eunice Wade of New Tazewell, and Geneva Norris of Beersheba Springs; a brother, Gilliam Brown of Gruetli-Laager; 28 grandchildren; 30 great-grandchildren; and five great-great-grandchildren.
Love-Cantrell Funeral Home of McMinnville was in charge of arrangements.

(3) article dated 6-20-1995
Tenn., died Tuesday in a South Pittsburg, Tenn. Nursing home. He was the husband of the late Bette Ross. Survivors include three daughters, Ann Ross of Monteagle, Tenn; Joan Asburn of Whitwell, Tenn.; Karen Kelly of Signal Mountain; two sons, John Ross of Memphis, Tenn; Mark Ross of Signal Mountain; nine grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren. Graveside services will be at 10 a.m. CDT Friday in the funeral home chapel with the Rev. Jonathan Richie officiating. Visitations will be 6-8 p.m. today at Hooper Funeral Home, Whitwell

(4) article dated 4-25-1989
78, OF Whitwell, Tenn. died Tuesday in a Chattanooga Hospital. She was a member of Cedar Springs Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Survivors include her husband, Chester C. Ross, Whitwell, Tenn.; three daughters; Ann Ross and JoAnn Ashburn both of Whitwell, Tenn.; Karen Kelly of Signal Mountain; two sons, Mark Ross of Signal Mountain; and John Ross of Memphis, Tenn; three sisters, Carrie Cordell of Whitwell; Billie Smith of Chattanooga; and Kathleen Dorris of Escondido, Calif.; brother, Frank White of Chattanooga; nine grandchildren. Services will be at 2 p.m. CDT today in the funeral home chapel with the Rev. David Shull officiating. Burial will be in Sequatchi Valley Memorial Gardens. Memorial contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society. Arrangements by Hooper Funeral Home, Whitwell.

(5) article dated 1-3-1919
Two weddings occurred in Sequache recently, both at the parsonage of Rev. E. R. Lewis officiating.
Millard Rogers and Miss Zellie Ross were married week before 1st. Both parties were from Victoria.

(6) article dated unknown
Callie Ross Vaughn, 87 of Suck Creek community died recently in a Chattanooga hospital. She spent her early years in Laager, and attended Mt. Vernon School.
Mrs. Vaughn was a daughter of the late Harrison and Malinda Massengale Ross. She was a charter member of the Incline Tabernacle Church in Chattanooga.
The Rev. Buddy Stickland and the Rev. Richard Horner conducted services at Hooper Funeral Home in Whitwell. Burial was in Fall Creek Cemetery.
Mrs. Vaughn is survived by four daughters; Malinda Nunley and Ddorothy Cookston, both of North Chattanooga; Helen Morrison of Whitwell, and Rosa Lee Townson of Sylvania, Ala.; two sons, Louie Vaughn of Jellico and William H. Vaughn of Chattanooga; a sister, Lena Savage of Summerville, GA; 29 grandchildren; 33 great-grandchildren; and four great-great-grandchildren.

Pls note: I have info on Savage Family also
(6) article dated unknown

87, of Route 3 Summerville, GA., died Saturday at her home. She was born in Grundy Co. Dec. 26, 1895, a daughter of the late John Harrison and Melissa Massingale Ross, and was a member of Lookout Hill Church of Christ. Survivors include eight daughters; Frankie Smith of Albertville, Ala.; Henrietta Fowler of Crossville, Ala.; Callie Sprayberry of Rome, GA; Marie Bramlett of LaFayette, GA; Cora Lee Roberts of Rossville; Jane York and Ruby England, both of Summerville; Boyce Barnes of Social Circle, GA; three sons, Van Savage of Ball Ground, GA; and Harrison Savage of Albertville; and James Savage of Chicago, ILL; 24 grandchildren, 24-great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandchild. Services will be held at 2 p.m. today in the funeral home chapel with Minister Walter E. Neal officiating. Burial will be in Greenhill Cemetery. Grandsons will serve as pallbearers. Arrangements by the Summerville Chapel of Lane Funeral Home.

(7) article dated 9-6-1951
Son Escapes From the Home Which Is Reduced to Ashes.
Tracy City, Sept. 4 – Ernest Ross, World War II veteran who lost a leg in combat in Europe, was burned to death early this morning while his nine year old son made an unsuccessful effort to help his father from the burning home.
Mrs. J. E. Ross, widowed mother of the …..(vet was in ?)…a Chattanooga hospital. The home and its contents were destroyed.
Ross and his son, Eugene, occupied a downstairs bedroom and his sister, Mrs. Chas. Schearer and her husband occupied quarters on the second floor.
Mr. and Mrs. Schearer climbed out a window to the roof of a porch in their night clothing and leaped to the ground without injury. The son escaped without injury.
Besides his son and mother, Ross is survived by three brothers; Edwin of Laager; Douglas of Farmer; and T-Sgt. George Davis Ross, serving with the air force in Nova Scotia; two sisters, Mrs. Schearer and Mrs. Malcom Rankin of Palmer.
Funeral services ere held yesterday afternoon at Fall Creek Cemetery

(8) article dated 12-20-1951
Mrs. Margaret Trussell Ross, 66, was fatally injured near Tracy City Tuesday morning when she fell from the cab of a coal truck driven by her son-in-law, Chas. Shearer. The door came open as she leaned against it to wave at a grandchild and she fell upon the pavement, dying later in hospital.
She was enroute to Laager to meet the body of her grandson, John Edward, killed in Korea.

(9) article dated 9-20-1934
Mr. and Mrs. Ed (John Edward) Ross, of Palmer, announce the marriage of their daughter, Kathleen, to Charles Scherer [Schearer) of Tracy City.

(10) article dated unknown
TATE, GLADYS V., 77, of Gruetli-Laager, Tenn., died Monday in a Whitwell, Tenn. hospital. She was the widow of Everett G. Tate and the sister of the late Benny and Evelyn Ross. Survivors include her daughter, Jean Johnson of Maryville, Tenn.; four sisters, Essie Kilgore, Joan Sanders of Gruetli-Laager; Elanor Magourik of Chattanooga; Velma Coppinger of Whitwell, Tenn.; three brothers, the Rev. Charles O. Ross of Whitwell; James Ross of Palmer, Tenn.; George Ross of Knoxville; two grandchildren and a great-grandchild. Services will be at 2 p.m. CST today in the funeral home chapel with the Rev. Carl Hornbuckle and the Rev. Rodney…[rest of article is missing]

(11) article dated unknown
The Rev. James Gilliam Brown of Gruetli-Laager died Aug. 14 at his home. He was a member and former pastor of the Laager Congregational Methodist Church.
The Rev. Mr. Brown was ordained in the Congregational Methodist Church in September 1942. He also served as pastor of the Bivens Chapel, Barkers Cove, Chestnu Springs, and Graces Village Congregational Methodist Churches.
The Rev. Mr. Brown was a former president and secretary of the Eastern Tennessee Annual Church Conference. He also was a member of the United Mine Workers of America, having retired after more than 37 years as a coal miner.
Services ere Friday afternoon in Laager Congregational Methodist Church with the Rev. James Roberts, the Rev. Howard Caldwell and the Rev. Hershal Nolan officiating. Burial was in Fall Creek Cemetery.
The Rev. Mr. Brown was born Dec. 25, 1898, son of the late Samuel and Mary Jane Ross Brown. He also was preceded in death by a daughter. Veola Caldwell, and two sons, James Samuel and Johnny Preston Brown.
Survivors include his wife, Gladys Scarboro Brown of Gruetli-Laager; four daughters, Janie Bivens and Betty Totherow also of Gruetli-Laager; Christine Nunley of Cahokia, Ill; and Clara Johnson of Taylor, Mich.; 28 grandchildren and 34 great-grandchildren.
Cumberland Funeral Home of Altamont was in charge of arrangements.
[there is a photo but is too dark to reproduce)

(12) article dated unknown
To the Editor:
One of the greatest men that I have ever known was placed to rest last week at Fall Creek Cemetery in Grundy County. The Rev. Gilliam Brown, age 85.
I feel very fortunate to have known Rev. Brown since I was a small lad.
Rev. Brown grew up in Marion County in Bryant Cove and came from the large family of Uncle Sammy and Aunt Jane Ross Brown. He conducted funeral services for both my dad and mother.
I think the overflow crowds at both Cumberland Funeral Home at Altamont and the Laager Methodist Church proved to his family just how many friends Rev. Brown had.
I admired the Rev. Hershell Nolan, who said during the services, that he had always looked on Rev. Brown as a “second daddy.”
Rev. Brown is gone but his teachings shall go on.
Harry H. Nunley

(13) article dated unknown
46, of Gruetli-Laager, Tenn., died Tuesday in a Nashville hospital. Born August 3, 1937, he was a son of Gilliam and Gladys Brown of Gruetli-Laager. Other survivors include his wife, Juanita Brown, Gruetli-Laager; three daughters; Patty Smartt of Riverton, Wyo.; Sandy Church of Tracy City, Tenn.,; and Susie Brown of Gruetli-Laager.; two sons, Johnny Derrell and James Carl Brown both of Gruetli-Laager; four sisters, Janie Bivens and Betty Totherow both of Gruetli-Laager; Christine Nunley of Cahokia, Ill; and Clara Johnston of Taylor, Mich.; three grandchildren. Arrangements will be announced later. The family is receiving friends at Cumberland Funeral Home, Altamont, Tenn.

(14) article dated unknown
Gladys Scarboro Brown of Gruetli-Laager died May 7 in a Chattanooga hospital. She was 81.
Mrs. Brown was a native of Swainsboro, GA., daughter of the late William and Frances Scarboro. She was also preceded in death by her husband, the Rev. Gilliam Brown; a daughter, Veola Caldwell, and two sons, James S. and Johnny P. Brown.
Services were Friday afternoon in the Laager Congregational Methodist Church, of which she was a member with the Rev. Charles Ross and the Rev. James Roberts officiating. Burial was in Fall Creek Cemetery.
Active pallbearers were Harold Nunley, David Caldwell, Kenny Bivens, Wayne Dennis, Gene Totherow and Derrell Brown. Serving as honorary pallbearers were Larry Bivens, Anthony Bivens, Mike Dennis, Jeff Totherow, Barry Dennis, James Brown and Oscar Brown.
Survivors include four daughters; Christing Nunley of Cahokia, Ill; Clara Johnson of Taylor, Mich.; Janie Bivens and Betty Totherow of Gruetli-Laager; a brother, Clarence Ross of Swainsboro; 28 grandchildren and 42 great-grandchildren.
Cumberland Funeral Home of Altamont was in charge of arrangements.

(15) article from “The Mountain Herald” in Sept. (cant read rest of date)
“Cleveland and Robert Ross ere shot and killed last Thursday, Edward Bryant doing the shooting. The Bryant’s and Ross’s have been on bad terms with each other for a long time they having had trouble at a shooting match over a year ago as well as several other difficulties previous to that one.
“Houston Bryant, Robert Bryant, Robert Ross and Cleveland Ross were working on the public road near Tatesville when the trouble arose between Houston Bryant and Cleveland Ross. From what news can be gleaned Cleveland Ross breaks a shovel over Houston Bryant’s head. Then Edward Bryant, steps out from the woods and shoots Cleveland Ross one time (over the heart killing him instantly. Bob Ross turns to flee, but is shot twice by Edward Bryant and then knocked in head with butt end of pistol until he is dead.

(16) article dated 8-14-1919
When Crazed With Drink He Pulls Knife On Him.
Bence Myers, living in the head of Little Sequatchie Cove, near Tracy City, shot and killed Henry Ross Wednesday while Ross was endeavoring to force an entry into Myers’ house. Ross is his son-in-law and was on a drunken spree. He had been to graveyard working at the Ross graveyard and was in a drunken condition while there. Coming back he raised a fuss with his father-in-law, and started to enter the house. He was repulsed and again tried to force entry, drawing his knife. He failed to get it open for Myers shot him three times, once thru the jaw and twice in the head, in forehead and top of head. Myers surrendered to Sheriff G. W. Coppinger, of this county, Thursday and was taken before Justice Kilgore, of Oak Grove, for examination Friday. He entered a plea of self-defense, and was released on bond. Assisting Sheriff Coppinger was deputy sheriff, Allen McCullough, but Myers made no attempt to escape.

(17) article dated 7-15-1926
In a Rage Gilliam Brown Uses Knife, Almost Severing His Head.
Palmer, July 13.-Roy Ross, of this place, died in hospital at Sewanee Friday afternoon about 4 o’clock from cuts received at the hands of his step-son-in-law, Gilliam Brown.
The story of the crime, so your correspondent is informed, is as follows: Some few weeks ago, it is alleged, Brown whipped the two year old son of Ross with a leather strap, and Ross had had him arrested. Bad feelings arose and Friday, as Ross was walking in the road near his home, carrying his baby, Brown came up and renewed this quarrel, attacking him with a knife. Ross pleaded for mercy, but to no avail, Brown persisted and cut Ross again and again, almost severing his head. Ross was carried to the hospital at Sewanee where he died.
The remains were brought to Whitwell, his former home, and interment made Sunday afternoon.
It is said that Ross professed religion about two weeks before and arrangements had been made for his baptism on the Sunday he was buried. He was baptized on his death bed, and before he died prayed for his slayer.

(18) article dated 8-9-1945
E.D. Ross Dies In Chattanooga
Chattanooga, Aug 2 – E. D. Ross, 59, died at his home, 3118 East Forty-fourth Street at 5:30 Friday morning. A member of a well known pioneer family of Marion Co., Mr. Ross formerly lived at South Pittsburg where he was in the grain business until he came to Chattanooga five years ago. He was a member of Cedar Hill Babptis Church and Rossville Lodge F. & A.M. No. 397. Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Nettie Ellis Ross of Chattanooga, and one son, Cpl. John G. Ross, U.S. Army, England; two daughters, Edna Ross at home, and Mrs. Myrtle Dame of Norfolk, VA; two brothers, J. S. Ross of Jasper, Tenn., and A. J. Ross of Whitwell, Tenn.; four sisters, Mrs. W. B. Holloway of Rock Island, Tenn.; Mrs. Janie Alder of Chattanooga; Mrs. R. H. Rogers of South Pittsburg; and Misses Diane and Elinor Dame.
Funeral services were held at 2 o’clock Saturday afternoon at Cedar Hill Baptist Church, Rev. Joe Parsons officiating. Interment in Sardis Cemetery at Victoria, Tenn. Active pallbearers were members of the Rossville Masonic Lodge No. 397. Honorary pallbearers were members of the Wheeler Bible Class of Cedar Hill Baptist Church.

(19) article dated 12-6-1917
Mrs. W. L. Ross [Wm. Leroy] accompanied by her daughter, Mrs. B. N. Naramore and husband have just returned from Big Springs, Tenn., this being Mrs. Ross first visit to the mammoth spring to see her daughter, Mrs. E. C. McNabb since her marriage. It made her trip quite a treat as well as a surprise. They report a pleasant as well as an enjoyable time. They must have had a good time as they broke a Ford downgoing and a Saxon coming and had to come by rail, at last. We hope they will go again soon and put some more money in circulation…{unreadable)…
Whitwell is hung on a rope, says W. L. Ross, and when the rope breaks Whitwell falls. The drum that controls the rope collided yesterday when they let the winding spring break. The rope did its part. All Whitwell needs is a new winding spring, and she will move out without a doubt.
W. L. Ross broke the record at Whitwell this month. The average tonnage is 150 to 200 tons to the man, but Mr. Ross loaded 251; which would be about $183.25. This is pretty good for a boy 58 years old. Wonder if he wont buy some Government bonds or send the soldier boys News. We will knock at his door pay day and see if his heart is right with God and his country.

(20) article dated 4-8-1909
Victoria, Tenn., April 3, -- L. L. Ross [Louelen L.] died here Friday at his home about two miles east of here of stomach trouble. He had been sick only a short time as his disease only recently developed dangerous symptoms. His remains were buried at Sardis Saturday, Rev. P. L. Clonce conducting the services. Mr. Ross was greatly respected and his death is a sad blow to his family and friends.

(21) article dated Dec. 1991
94, of Jasper, Tenn., died Tuesday [Dec. 10 1991] in a Chattanooga hospital. A lifelong resident of Marion Co., Tenn., he had owned and operated a farm in that area and was a member of Pleasant Grove United Methodist, Church. He was preceded in death by his parents, Louellin and America Brown Ross. Survivors include his wife, Bernice Long Ross of Jasper; four daughters, Tula Mae Ross and Billie Thurmond both of Jasper; Irene Raines and Patsy LeRoy both of Chattanooga; sister, Zella Rogers of Jasper; several grandchildren, great-grandchildren, nieces and nephews. Arrangements will be announced b Rogers Funeral Home, Jasper.

(22) article dated 1-4-1995
92 of Jasper, Tenn., died Saturday in a Chattanooga hospital. She was a member of Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church, the Pleasant Grove Home Demonstration Club and Farmers Bureau. She was the widow of G. H. Ross. Survivors include four daughters; Tula Mae Ross; Billie Thurmond of Jasper; Irene Raines and Patsy Leroy of Chattanooga; two brothers, Hershel Long of Chattanooga; and Willis Long, Goldsboro, N.C.


(23) article dated 10-2 or 9, 1916
Louis Ross – Lettie Spangler, married Sunday. Rev. E. C. Thurston officiating.

(24) article dated 8-30-1988
89, of Route 1, Whitwell, Tenn., died Tuesday in a So. Pittsburg, Tenn. hospital. A member of Whitwell United Methodist Church, she was a retired purchasing agent for Miller Brothers Co.,. Survivors include her brother, Chester Ross of Whitwell; several nieces and nephews. Services will be at 2 p.m. CDT today in the funeral home chapel with the Rev. Benny Matherly officiating. Burial will be in Sequatchie Valley Memorial Gardens. Arrangements by Hooper Funeral Home, Whitwell

(25) article dated 8-12-1981
88, of Palmer, Tenn., died early Thursday morning in a Chattanooga hospital. He is survived by his wife, Margie Tate of Palmer; three sisters, Mrs. Virgie Crownover of Asheville, Nc; Mrs. Minnie Layne and Mrs. Greetli Medley, both of Chattanooga. Services will be held at 2 p.m. CDT today in Laager Congregational Methodist Church with the Revs. Charles O. Ross and James Roberts officiating. Burial will be in Fall Creek Cemetery. Arrangements are by Hooper Funeral Homes Inc., Palmer

(26) article dated 2-1984
Margie Doris Tate, 76 of Palmer died Feb. 9 in a Whitwell hospital. She was the widow of Grover Cleveland Tate.
Services were Saturday afternoon from the Laager Congregational Methodist Church of which she was a member with the Rev. Charles O. Ross officiating. Burial was in Fall Creek Cemetery.
Mrs. Tate is survived by a sister, Clarine Dodson of McMinnville; brother, Sexton Nunley of Palmer; and several nieces and nephews.
Hooper Funeral Home of Palmer was in charge of arrangements.

(27) article dated 5-12-1992
71, of Tuscon, Ariz., died Tuesday from injuries sustained in a boating accident there. He was a former resident of Dunlap, Tenn., and was a member of Palo Verde Church of Christ in Tucson. Survivors include his wife, Martha Kate Mosley Layne; daughter, Nancy Orson both of Tucson.; son, Lynn Layne; two grandsons, Adam and Andrew Layne all of Riverside, Calif. Services will be held Friday at Brings Memorial Chapel in Tucson. Memorial contributions may be made to Southern Arizona Bible Camp, c/o Brings Memorial Chapel, 6910 East Broadway, Tucson, AZ, 85710. Announced by Ewton Funeral Home, Dunlap…..[rest of article missing]…

(28) article dated 10-15-1991
72, of Intermont Road, Chattanooga, died Tuesday in a local hospital. A member of Rivermont Church of Christ, she was preceded in death by her parents, Brents and Minnie Tate Layne. Survivors include her husband, Herschel Dawson of Chattanooga; son, Ronald Dawson of Whitwell, Tenn.; brother, Bert Layne of Tucson, AZ; three grandchildren, Travis, Shannon and Rhondi Dawson of Whitwell; several nieces and nephews. Services will be at 2 p.m. CDT Thursday in the funeral home chapel. Burial will be in Condra Cemetery. The family will receive friends today from 6-9 p.m. CDT at Ewton Funeral Home, Dunlap, Tenn….[rest of article missing]….

(29) article dated Thursday, February 8, 1990
94, formerly of Dunlap, Tenn., died Tuesday in Tucson, Ariz. She was the widow of Brents Layne. Survivors include her son, Brents B. Layne of Tucson; daughter, Thelma Dawson of Chattanooga; three grandchildren, four great-grandchildren; several nieces and nephews. Graveside services will be at 10:30 a.m. CST Saturday in Condra Cemetery with Minister Paul Poland officiating. The family will receive friends from 6-9 p.m. CST Friday at Ewton Funeral Home, Dunlap.

(30) article dated 1950
Mrs. Nancy Ross Tate, 84, died in Erlanger Hospital, in Chattanooga, Friday, February 17.
Death came as the result of a fall at the home of her son, Ramon Tate, where she had made her home for some time. In the fall she received a broken hip and other injuries. She was the wife of the late T.T. Tate and a member of the Methodist Church.
Funeral services were conducted at the Fall CreekChapel Sunday, February 19, with the Reverend Waddell Roberts, pastor of the Tracy City Methodist Church, and the Reverend Bud Hampton, pastor of the Palmer Nazarene Church, officiating.
Surviving are seven children, Mrs. Virgie Crownover of Ashville N.C.; Mrs. Ethel Stompfli [Stampfli] of Gruetli; Mrs. Minnie Layne of Daus, Tenn.; John and Ramon Tate of Laager; and Cleveland Tate of Collins. Also 24 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren.
Interent was in the Fall Creek Cemetery.
Pallbearers were six of her grandsons.
The Ewton Funeral Service of Dunlap was in charge.

(31) article dated 11-19-1982 from the Chatanooga Times, Monday
….[cant read] 3404 Taylor St., East Chattanooga, died Friday afternoon at her home. She was a native of Laager, Tenn., but had lived by the Chatanooga area most of her life. Mrs. Medley was the widow of Laney B. Medley and the dater of the late Tim and Nancy Ross Tate. She was of the Baptist faith. Survivors include one daughter, Mrs. Foster (Margaret) Luttrell; two grandsons, William B. and Paul David Luttrell; four great-grandchildren; two sisters, Virgie Crownover and Minnie Layne. Services will be held today at 1 p.m. in Eugene Turner Memorial Chapel with the Rev. Eugene Johnson officiating. Burial will be in Hamilton Memorial Gardens with grandsons and nephews serving as pallbearers. Arrangements are by Turner Funeral Home.

(32) article 1988
74, of Palmer, Tenn., died Monday at his home. A retired miner he was a member of the United Mine Workers of America and was also a member of Palmer Baptist Church. Survivors include his wife, Ruby Oma Lee Tate of Palmer; three sons, Don Tate of Coalmont, Tenn., Dwight Tate of Woodstock, GA; and Keith Tate of Palmer; four daughters: Patsy Burnett of Whitwell, Tenn.,; Betty Whorley of Red Bank; Phyllis Brown of Signal Mountain; and Rena Hampton of Palmer; brother, Horace Tate of Powell’s Crossroads, Tenn.; sister, Mildred Yarworth of Tracy City, Tenn.; 13 grandchildren, thre great-grandchildren. Services will be at 2 p.m. CDT Wednesday in the funeral home chapel with the Rev. James Roberts and the Rev. Charles O. Ross officiating. Burial will be in Palmer City Cemetery. The family will receive ….[rest of article missing]… [he d. 9-26-1988]

(33) article dated unknown (from Chattanooga Times Bureau}
Mrs. Stampfli of Gruetli Dies, Husband Hurt – A Trucker is Charged.
Cleveland, Tenn. – A 69 year old woman was killed and her husband was sseriously injured when the pickup truck in which they were riding and a two-ton transfer truck collided a short distance outside the west city limits on Lee Highway Thursday afternoon.
Mrs. Ethel Stampfli of Gruetli, Tenn., was pronounced dead on arrival at Bradley County Memorial Hospital. Her husband, Chris Stampfli, was admitted to the hospital. His injuries were pronounced serious. The couple had been living for the past year with their daughter, Mrs. Richard Tylor [Dola from where these articles came from] of Collegedale.
The truck driver, identified as Clyde Marvin McDaniel, Fairoak Pl., Chattanooga, was uninjured. At Bradley County jail he was charged with manslaughter, and was released after posting $2,000 appearance bond.
The accident was investigated by Trooper Harold Stansberry of the Tennessee Highway Patrol; Deputy Sheriff Jud Pritchett, and Policeman John Eubanks.
Stansberry said the accident occurred at 2:15 p.m. He said investigation disclosed Mr. and Mrs. Stampfli were traveling toward Chattanooga; McDaniel, driving a truck owned by Star Box and Printing Co., of Chattanooga, was headed toward Cleveland. The crash occurred, the officer said, when the Stampfli pickup truck attempted to pull over and stop at the Bowman Antique Shop on the south side of the highway.
A preliminary hearing for McDaniel has been set for Monday before Sessions Judge Earle G. Murphy, it was stated.
Funeral arrangements were incomplete late Thursday.

(34) article dated unknown
Wm. Ross cut his brother, George, with a knife in several places, and he is expected to die at any time. It all came about over some mountain land. Bill wanted to buy George’s interest and George refused to sell, and that enraged Bill and then while under the influence of drink he stabbed his brother without just cause, and went to Kentucky, where George lived to get to..[unreadable]..He walked through the mountains from Kentucky to Whitwell, and it is very reliably reported, had sent a doctor and an attorney up there to wait on his brother, and to see if he can’t get it fixed up to avoid a just punishment in the courts of Kentucky. We think he ought to be landed behind the walls of the prison. George Ross married the daughter of David Layne, on of Marion County’s most respected citizens, and the feeling in the family is running very high. Just what the outcome in this …[missing].. we can only wait and ..[rest of article is missing].

(35) article dated 9-22-19?7 [cant read year]
Wm. Ross was out to see ye writer today to have same statement made in the News last week corrected. He said that he was wronged to a certain extent by the publication of his and brother, Geroge’s racket, and asked to have ye writer to correct it, and here it is in a nutshell. He said he went to Kentucky to get his brother, George to sign a deed to his brother, Sam Ross, for a 100-acre tract of land and didn’t go to buy for himself, and that he did’t walk back through the mountains as was reported, but came in on the train to Tracy and walked from there to Whitwell, and he stated that he did cut his brother, George, three or four times, but did it in self-defence by kicking his brother’s knife out of his hand, and that he and his brother were both under the influence of drink. After hearing Mr. Ross’s statement, if true, then he would be justified in his action. They have got these matters settled between the two brothers. I am always ready to correct any and all statements made by me if incorrect. We never knew the true facts in this case until Mr. Ross came today in perfect good humor and asked ye writer to correct the matter. All we had gathered was from the general public and report. True happenings and true facts are what we want to give to the reading public. It’s hard, indeed, for a person sometimes, unless they witness an occurrence, to give a true report. Where there is a great number of witnesses to a scrap in a public place, it is hard indeed to put them all on the witness stand and get them to tell the same story Hardly two out of ten will tell the same tale, so we have to be very careful about getting reports. We give it as we have heard it told to us, and if any part of the statements made should be untrue, please do like Mr. Ross, call and confess and give the true facts as it occurred. I don’t wish to wrong any man, if I know myself. Ross said liquor caused all the trouble. I agree with you that liquor is a mighty…[unreadable]..thing.

(36) article dated 9-6-190? [last # of year unreadable]
Stair Gap..
Special to the News.
We wish to chronicle the death of Johnnie Ross, who died Aug. 28. He was born Jan. 30, 1891 and was attending school at the time of his death, commencing the third Monday in July and never missing a day until the day he died. He was a good boy and highly esteemed. He was the son of George Ross, who abandoned his wife and children some twelve years ago, never providing for them in any way. They have been taken care of at the home of Dave Layne since then who provided for them. The death of the boy was sudden, the doctors pronouncing it hemorrhage of the brain. He leaves a mother and two sisters to mourn his death. While they can never greet him on earth again, at least they have the assurance that they will meet him in Heaven………………Friend

(37) article dated 4-26-1951
Miss Ross Passes Away at Whitwell
Miss Sarah Elizabeth Ross, 54 of Whitwell, died Tuesday morning.
Surviving is one sister, Mrs. George Eggert of Whitwell.
Funeral services will be held today at the Whitwell Church of God the Rev. O. B. Godsey officiating. Interment will be in Griffith Cemetery.
[this is Sarah E. daughter of George & Kizzie Ross]

(38) article dated unknown
Old Mrs. Ross is now temporariely stopping with Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Billingsley. Mrs. Ross is homeless, moneyless and of course, that means friendless. She is the widow of Lee Roy Ross, who died several years ago. She is the mother of Mrs. U.G. Harris of Chattanooga, Mrs. Mattie Dixon of Oklahoma, and William Ross of Oklahoma. Also a stepmother of Mrs. J. T. Billingsley, Mrs. John Cates, and Mrs. W. H. Jordan. All of these diggings, but none of them seem to have room for the poor old creature. She was talking of makin application to the poor house commissioners for a home there, but seems to be a little reluctant over the matter, hating to bring the reproach and disgrace on the ones she worked so hard to raise, and says she worked so hard to help them to have a good home, and now she is without any home. But such is life in this old sin cursed world.
Well, I guess I had better ring off for this time. Hope I will soon recover from my “non compus mentus” state, and try to do better next time. If I don’t this well be my last attempt. Yours of the past in the present and for the future……OLD JOE

(39) article dated 5-3-1917
Special to the news May 3, 1917
Alvin Billingsley took his stepgrandmother, Old Aunt Mary Ross, to the county’s sanctum for the needy the other day, and thru the humane spirit and pinciple of the hostess, Mrs. Gilliam, she was taken in her private house and will not have to be confined with the rest of the inmates. Mrs. Ross was a Gilliam before she married Lee Roy Ross and the poor housekeeper is a distant relative of Mrs. Ross, we opine she will be treated well. We were loath to see the old lady go, for we were personally concered in the case as we have two daughters married in the connection, both of there husbands are stepgrandsons of Mrs. Ross, and we feel like we have a perfect right to our ideas and convictions. If the matter is considered by thinking people reproachful or disgraceful, of course they and their children will have to bear their part. She has now a good ho9me if she will only be content……OLD JOE

(40) article dated unknown
Caroline Chapel Cemetery:
Mary Ann Gilliam Ross, 3-5-1836/7-21-1917, wife of Leroy Ross
Alvin Billingsley’s mother may be Margaret, daughter of Leroy and Frances Ross, who married John T. Billingsly. 1900 census, Marion County: John T. 37; Margaret, 35 (b. Nov.1864), married 16 yrs; Fred, 15; Alvin, 13; Archie, 10; Leonard, 8; John, 4; James L.1: Mary Ross would be step grandmother to Alvin.

(41) article dated 7-26-1917
Jasper, July 23; Mrs. Mary Ross, aged 81 years died at the County Home yesterday. She had been on a decline for sometime from infirmities. She leaves a daughter, Mrs. Eula Harris of Chattanooga; Mrs. Mattie Dixon of Oklahoma; and William Ross also in Oklahoma. Stepchildren are Mrs. J. T. Billingsley of Caroline Chapel, Mrs John Cate and Mrs. W. H. Jordan of Victoria, this county. Interment was made at Caroline Chapel today. Her husband, Lee Roy Ross, died several years ago.

(42) article dated 12-21-1916
Caroline Chapel
Special to the News:
Just one more week shall have passed and then the national “jollification day” will come again. The day of mixed pleasures and sorrows, the day that brings mirth and gladness to the hearts and homes of the many, and on the other hand brings grief and heart-rending sorrows to the homes and hearts of thousands, making wives widows and happy children orphans. Oh what a contrast to visit a home composed of a true Christian father and mother, and then turn to a home of Immoral dissipations. Well, such has always been so, and I fear will always remain so.
Well, we come now to very sad events that have recently occurred in our surroundings. The first sad news that came to our knowledge was the death of the wife of one of our old Marion County boys, John W. Dixon of Alabama City, Ala. Sarah was a daughter of Leroy Ross of this settlement, and married John when quite young and became the mother of about five children of which four of them are left to mourn the loss of a mother, and leaving John all alone to get thru this old world the best he can. “Lone Star”, of Dallas, TEX., you certainly know how to sympathize with John.

(43) article dated 2-5-1942
Bessie Campbell In Hospital Suffering With Severe Injuries

Tragedy late Saturday afternoon that concerned two of our citizens, has held the limelight In Sequachee this week.
Robert B. Ross, 39 just resigned from the management of the Sequachee Valley Service Station city, was almost instantly killed in a head-on crash of automobiles on the Palmer Road about six miles from Whitwell, about,,,,o’clock.
In the car with Ross was Miss Bessie Campbell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Campbell, city, who was badly injured and was taken to a Chattanooga hospital for treatment for skull fracture and other injuries.
Also injured were G. W. Dick, 22, and Thomas Meeks, 15, occupants of the second car and Murphey White, its driver. Dick and Meeks wee taken to Erlanger hospital where Dick was treated for scalp lacerations and Meeks for a fractured ankle. White was treated for slight injuries by a Whitwell physician.
The top of Ross’ head was said to have been torn off, and ………moved to the Putnam Funeral Home for preparation for burial.
Miss Campbell, found in a dazed condition by those who arrived on the scene, was first taken to the home of a sister, mrs. Willard Griffith, in Whitwell, but later removed to Erlanger hospital, Chattanooga, where her condition Sunday afternoon at 4 o’clock was said to be fair.
Ross was driving toward Whitwell and White towards Palmer when the machines crashed.
Advised from Jasper, Mrs. Charles Campbell, mother of the girl and another daughter. Almeda, started at once to the scene of the accident, being taken by Joe Hoge and picking up here another sister, Georgia.
There is uncertainty as to the presence of Miss Campbell in Mr. Ross’s car. The two girls, Bessie and Georgia, had come to Sequachee that afternoon to see the Griffith family, the father and mother being ill. Returning from there the girls came here and Georgia went into a store to get a purchase she had made. Going out she found her sister had disappeared. A half hour later a rumor of a wreck reached here as occurring at Palmer with the missing girl involved in it.
About 9o’clock a party passing through from Whitwell announced that “Ross lay dead in a Whitwell morgue with the top of his head sliced off and that school girls with him had been injured.” Later it was learned Miss Campbell was the only one with him. A witness said later she boarded Ross’s car at the store while her sister was inside and left going up the Mountain Road.
Interment of the remains of Ross were made at Sardis Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock, following services in Sardis Methodist Church conducted by Rev. A. Hall.
Ross is ssurvived by his wife, Mrs. Violet T. Ross, who is in a Knoxville Sanitarium; two sisters, Mrs.P. H. Jackson of Victoria, and Mrs. Millard Rogers of Jasper; and three brothers, Louie and Hoyle Ross of Victoria, and Will Ross of Norwood, Ohio. Pallbearers were nephews of the deceased.
It now seems that the two cars were traveling in different directions than a first reported. The Ross car was going from Whitwell, not towards it. The other car from Palmer.
It is also said Miss Campbell was seen going toward Whitwell with Ross, and that her sister was expecting them to return in a few minutes, pick her up and go home. This did not work right for Ross kept on up the Palmer Road over Whitwell Mountain, traveling at a very high rate of speed, as reported by a bus driver whom he passed when near Stair Gap, and who reported the wreck at Palmer.
At hospital Miss Campbell, in a delirium, talked of shooting and killing. A pistol and cartridges were found scattered in the wreckage, and Miss Campbell, it is said, had the pocket-knife of Ross in her hand when found in a daed condition in the woods near the wreck.
She had been thrown from the wreck while Ross was driven through the windshield.
Against the wishes of the owner Ross had resigned the management of the service station here after having maintained an orderly and excellent business for some months. He intended to return to Dayton, Ohio, to his former position, and was in the office about 3:30 that afternoon to order his paper sent to Victoria temporarily. He was apparently sober when here.
Late advices are that Miss Campbell is recovering but will be held in hospital for a week. Owing to loss of blood from several bad cuts she is in danger of pneumonia if exposed too soon…….

Page provided by Carol J. Tate-DeGraff.


returnReturn To Miscellaneous Records of Marion County

returnReturn To Marion County Home Page

January 20, 2005