Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

............drove the Indians out of their hunting grounds where the Ash mounds (name of the creek given by early settlers) once stood at the three branches of the creek. The white settlers soon drove the Indians to the high lands and ridges that abound in this area where deer, bear, turkey, squirrel, rabbits, beaver and other game was more plentiful. One of these areas was the Mohawk Valley.

The Indians of the area lived in limestone caves which were abundant. One such cave on the upper reaches of Eagle Creek had an ash pile at the mound that is over 20 feet high and over 40 feet wide. It is said to have been a winter dwelling place for 1000 Cherokee Indians. Many Indian tools, weapons, and instruments have been recovered from this location. It is two days afoot from the Mohawk and three days afoot from the ash mounds at the forks of the three creeks and half a day afoot south of the big marsh and the cabin of Irsus JACKSON.

In 1830 the Indians were removed from this area by the United States. All Indians did not willingly go west. Some of them hid out in the Mohawk Valley and eventually adopted white settler ways or married settlers. The locals knew that many Indians lived in the valley but due to the sensitive nature of the Cherokee removal or perhaps having Indian blood in their veins they chose to call it by another Indian name, Mohawk. Many mysterious flickering campfires were sited after the Indian removal in the dead of a misty night as late as the latter part of 1846 and strange sounds could be heard. Many a settler reported the loss of small livestock, chickens, goats, pigs, calves, etc. but to either wild animals, hungry neighbors or perhaps starving Indians. The lack of trust and fidelity of the settlers coupled with the strange occurrences in the Valley created a sense of restlessness and discontentment. The Mohawk Valley was a spooky Valley until around 1850. During the last two years a quiet and calming peace has settled on the valley and the campfires, the losses and the strange noises have stolen away. At the time of this survey no Indians can be found. However their spirit still lives in the people for some of them do indeed have Cherokee blood lines. This is evident in the high cheek bones, dark eyes and dark hair and the independent self reliant spirit of the inhabitants.

 

This copy of an original is in the possession of Cleston Conner, sent to him from The Society of the Descendants
of Washington's Army at Valley Forge. Its original origin is unknown but it looks to be written about 1852. Joseph Conner died in 1854.

Return To Overton Co. TN Page

©2000-2004 published by Tami Ramsey for personal use only, they may NOT be reproduced in whole or part in any format for presentation, distribution or profit by anyone without the express written consent of the contributor.