Hand tinted picture of the Overton County Courthouse
that was built after the Civil War
This is a black and white hand tinted photo of the "Holman
House" just off the Livingston Square. During the Civil
War the register of deeds lived here. After hearing that Federal
troops had burned the Court houses in neighboring counties the
register took the deed books to his root cellar behind the house.
When our Court House was burned the records were saved. That's
why we have our records since 1806.This Court House was built
just after the War.