These Photos Graciously Submitted by John Waggoner Jr.
Any Comments or Questions
Click Here

Confederate Soldiers Grave
The Confederate Soldiers Graves are located approx. 3 miles south of Chestnut
Mound in the Tom Hollow off St. Mary's Hollow Road. These graves are located
in a very narrow hollow that can be entered at #197 St. Mary's Hollow Road.
There is a very rough road accessible by four wheel drive for one-half mile
and then a walk of 3/10 mile.It is one of the most remote areas of Smith County.
Formerly there were two or three cabins in the hollow but none today.

Uriah R.Gillihan from Jackson Co. Tn and T.W. Phillips from Overton Co. Tn had
been members of the 28th Confederate Infantry and had fought in several majors
battles such as, Shiloh, Fishing Creek, Stone's River. Both had been either
wounded or sick and were furloughed from the army. Gillihan and Phillips met
in Putman Co in spring of 1865 while on the way home. Lee had surrendered in
April but they were not aware of it. They attended a dance at Buffalo Valley
and became involved in a dispute. Fearing for their lives they left Buffalo
Valley and went to the home of Charles F. Burton, arriving about daylight. Mr.
Burton being a Southern Sympathizer fed the two boys and sent them to hide in
a cabin down in the Tom Hollow. They were discovered by the Home Guard who marched
them around the area, then physically tormented them with bayonets. They were then!
tied to seperate trees and shot by the Union men.

When the two bodies were discovered Charles F. Burton had them wrapped in blankets
and buried. Mr. Burton had a rock wall built around the graves which he kept clean
and decorated with flowers for the remainder of his life. There are descendents of
the Burton family, and the Lewis Fletcher family, who helped bury the soldiers, still
living in the Chestnut Mound area who are knowledgeable about this event.

In the 1970's Guy Boyd grandson of Lewis Fletcher, that helped build the wall around
the graves in 1865, was instrumental in getting stone markers placed at the graves.

In Vol.V. No. 1 of the Smith County Historical & Genealogical Society newsletter is a article
This is a well researched and interesting account of this event.

Listed in Smith County Cemeteries - South of the Cumberland River Pg.186.

Lewis Flecther
This photo from the Fletcher Cemetery is the grave of Lewis Fletcher,
that helped build the wall around the graves in 1865

Go To The Fletcher Cemetery

This is the grave of Charles F. Burton located in the Burton Cemetery in
Putman Co near the Smith County line. It was near here that Mr. Burton fed
the Confederate soldiers and tried to hide them down in the Tom Hollow.
Mr. Burton buried the boys, had the rock wall built, and cared for the
cemetery as long as he lived.

Back To Cemetery Pictures Index