Retyped by Diane Payne and Danene Vincent
THE ROBERTS HOME, of ante-bellum days, still stands on the east side of Mansker's Creek, in Sumner County. Here three attaches of the Union and American and of the American grew to manhood. Eugene ROBERTS was secretary and treasurer of the company, Robert ROBERTS was business manager and Albert ROBERTS was chief editorial writer. As "John Happy" Albert ROBERTS obtained quite a reputation as a humorist. Mr. ROBERT'S work in the political filed was recognized by President CLEVELAND, who appointed him Consul to Hamilton, Ontario.
HENDERSONVILLE, in 1830, consisted of a store and stage office and the man that conducted them. The brick building in which this "department" was carried on still stands on the north side of the pike, east of Drake's Creek, and in front of "Hazel Path," home of Mrs. Nannie SMITH BERRY. From that one store a thriving village has sprung in this rich and populous section.
ROCK CASTLE, a short distance south of Hendersonville, furnished several events that show
that the dangers, privations and hardships of the pioneers. On account of continued hostilities
with the Indians it took seven years to built the house, 1784-1791. It was built by stone masons
brought from Lexington, Ky., for that purpose. Two men engaged in building the house, while
fishing on Drake's Creek, were killed by Indians.
In 1794 two boys named Anthony BLEDSOE and one a son of Isaac BLEDSOE, both of whom had then been killed by the Indians, were living at Gen. Smith's while attending school near by. After returning from school one afternoon in March they went to the quarry with a negro waggoner and there all were attacked by Indians. The negro surrendered and his life was spared; the boys had not been born to surrender and were killed, scalped and partially stripped of their clothing. The place where they were killed is known, but their graves are now unmarked. Gen. SMITH himself was wounded by Indians while traveling the Buffalo trail between MANSKER'S and BLEDSOE'S.
Gen. SMITH rendered distinguished services to his county before he came to this section in 1783 and located the "Rock Castle" tract of 4,000 acres and built his home. He was a learned man, a surveyor of great name, made the first map of Tennessee, was territorial secretary by appointment of Washington, member of the Constitutional Convention in 1796, and United States Senator for about eleven years. His last years were spent in developing his planation, now owned by Mrs. Nannie SMITH BERRY. He died in 1818 is buried at Rock Castle.
A ROCK CASTLE ROMANCE- The early history of Rock Castle, clouded with tragedy, is
brightened by the tradition of a romance in which Fate seems to have given compensation, as far
as possible, to all parties concerned. Mary (called Polly) SMITH, the only daughter of Gen.
SMITH, and Samuel DONELSON, son of Col. John DONELSON, wished to marry. There
were parental objection at Rock Castle with the usual result.
One afternoon in 1797 Polly, then in her sixteenth year, sat in her room at Rock Castle listening to the sounds of axe and hammer in the forest, not far away. She understood and was ready that night when DONELSON and Andrew JACKSON came with a sapling ladder and placed it beneath her window. Polly got up behind JACKSON on horseback and the party crossed the river below Rock Castle and went to the Hunter's Hill neighborhood, where the ceremony was performed. The mutual compensation: Samuel DONELSON brought JACKSON a wife from Kentucky; JACKSON helped DONELSON get a wife from Rock Castle, and the master of Rock Castle, in the following year, succeeded JACKSON (resigned) in the United States Senate.
Gen. SMITH never invited Polly to come home until after she was left a widow with three young children: John, who served in the creek war and died son afterward; Andrew JACKSON and Daniel SMITH. Under the circumstances of the marriage in the absence of other considerations, it was fitting that JACKSON should adopt Andrew J. DONELSON, which he did, and sent him up the political ladder as he helped his mother down the sapling ladder.
Daniel S. DONELSON built and lived in the brick house now the home of Mrs. BERRY. The house on the knoll opposite the Presbyterian Church at Hendersonville was built by Dr. William WILLIAMS, who married a daughter of Daniel S. DONELSON. This property was first owned by Col. HENDERSON, of Revolutionary fame, for whom Hendersonville was named. His remains are buried on the place.
Polly Smith DONELSON married James ("Jimmy Dry") SAUNDERS and two of her children by this marriage were Mrs. Meredith P. GENTRY and Mrs. Robert L. CARUTHERS.
THE FRANKLIN FAMILIES AND FARMS - Within a distance of three miles, beginning with J.
W. RUSSWURN'S Brookhaven Berkshire Farm, and ending with Fairview, there are ten farms
touching the pike that are now or have been the homes of FRANKLINS- all descendants of one
man, James FRANKLIN. Besides the farm, half a mile south of the pike at Avondale depot, and
four a short distance north of Pilot Knob that come under this head.
James FRANKLIN'S ancestors were Huguenots and settled in Virginia. His father moved from Virginia to North Carolina, and here James FRANKLIN was born and reared. When James was about grown his father died in North Carolina and his mother married again. This was against, the wishes of his two sisters and himself and the three, taking several slaves, started for the West, but were overtaken by their step-father, who went back with the girls and the slaves but one. With this servant James FRANKLIN continued his westward journey. It is family tradition that he was a member of the Long Hunters that lived in this section several months in 1772 (camping on land that afterward was the home place of his granddaughter, Mrs. Dr. Horace F. ANDERSON), and that this visit influenced him to settle in this locality after coming to Nashborough. Be that as it may, James ROBERTSON has put James FRANKLIN'S name on record in an Act of the North Carolina Legislature as one of the immortal seventy, who staid through the darkest days of the settlement, and who, for that reason, were entitled to pre-emptions of 640 acres without any expense to themselves. It is also of record that James FRANKLIN assisted MANSKER in building his first fort, near Goodlettsville, late in 1779, or early in 1780; and that in 1783 James FRANKLIN, James MCKAIN, Elmore DOUGLASS and Charles CARTER went eight miles east of Mansker's along Buffalo trail leading to Bledsoe's and built a fort on the west side of Station Camp Creek three-fourths of a mile north of Pilot Knob, on land now owned by a Mr. CUNNIGHAM.
Young FRANKLIN lived awhile with the LAUDERDALE family near Bledsoe's Lick, married one of the LAUDERDALE girls, settled on his 640 acres pre-emption north of Pilot Knob, lived there, died there and is buried there, in a marked grave.
His five sons were: Isaac, James, John, William and Albert, each of whom seems to have been remarkable successful in acquiring ownership of fine lands and good homes close to the old roof tree.
John owned the present T. B. WILSON place east of Avondale. Isaac owned "Fairview," and Albert lived at the present "Kennesaw." A daughter, Mrs. John ARMFIELD, built the "Brookhaven" residence of J. W. RUSSWURM. Of the third generation, Dr. James FRANKLIN lived adjoining "Brookhaven," and his children still own the place and live there. Dr. Josh FRANKLIN lived near Avondale depot (house burned); Mrs. Dr. Horace F. ANDERSON lived at the mouth of Cage's Bend road (place now owned by H. R. VAUGHN; A. C. FRANKLIN lives north of the creek from this point; Walter FRANKLIN lived between there and "Kennesaw," which was the home of Captain James FRANKLIN, and is now owned by his son Harry. Opposite "Kennesaw" is "Oakley," for half a century the home of the late Dr. John W. FRANKLIN, a grandson of the original James.
THE MAN THAT KILLED AN INDIAN CHIEF - James MCKAIN a fourteen year old boy, was
a member of Donelson's party and signed the Compact of May, 1780. The County Court in 1783
elected him constable at Mansker's Station, and in that same year he went with FRANKLIN<
CARTER and DOUGLASS and helped them build the fort on Station Camp Creek.
Charles MORGAN, a brother-in-law of Gov. William HALL, was wounded and scalped alive near Bledsoe's Lick in 1788. Before he died he said the Indian that shot and scalped him had a hair-lip. This was Ne-ussee (signifying moon), a celebrated warrior and chief and the only hair-lipped man in the Nation.
In 1789 James MCKAIN, while a member of a scouting party, led by Col. George WINCHESTER, near Smith's Fork, a tributary of Caney Fork, killed a hair-lipped Indian, and after peace had been established the Indians said Moon had been killed. James MCKAIN located a 640 acre tract on Drake's Creek. He married a daughter of Amos EATON, of Eaton's Station, and his daughter married James FRANKLIN, Jr. One of the children of this marriage was Dr. James FRANKLIN, with whom MCKAIN spent his last years, and at whose home, half a mile west of Saundersville, MCKAIN died in 1857 at the age of ninety-one years.
Another grandson, Mr. Benjamin FRANKLIN, now (1912) eighty-three years of age, told the writer: "I never heard my grandfather say he killed "Moon." He always said he had two bullets in his rifle, that he aimed at "Moon" and fired; that "Moon" fell pierced by two bullets, but that somebody else might have shot him, too."
James MCKAIN'S chair, powder horn, hunting knife and family bible are in possession of Dr. Jim FRANKLIN'S children, who still reside in the house where their great grandfather died. (Note - James MCKAIN appears in several histories and official records under the erroneous name "CAIN," "MCCAIN" and "MCCANN.")
A PIONEER PREACHER, A MURDERER AND A DETECTIVE- In 1767 one Isaac
LINDSAY and four other South Carolinians came across the mountains to the Cumberland River
and down that stream to the mouth of Stones River on a hunting and exploring expedition.
Presumably this was the same Isaac LINDSAY who came with a great many other hunters and
explorers in 1780 to take advantage of their explorations. Isaac LINDSAY'S name it affixed to
the compact. He settled first at Eaton's Station and was a member of the first Davidson County
Court. Later he was granted 800 acres on the north side of the Cumberland River, in Sumner
County, and going there settled on a river bluff, about a mile south of the present site of
Saundersville. Mr. LINDSAY was a member of the first County Court (1786) of Sumner
The bluff where he settled and the island nearby have ever since borne his name.
Mr. LINDSAY later became a Methodist preacher, died at the _ (page cut off). His son, Isaac LINDSAY, was a Methodist preacher for eight years, retiring in 1816 and settling near his old home at the Bluff. In this same neighborhood also resided a young man named CARROLL, a worthless character, but with nothing particular against him. Mr. LINDSAY had known him from infancy and suspected no evil design when CARROLL told him he had discovered a very rich silver mine in Missouri, had some of the ore then hid in the river bottom and wanted Mr. LINDSAY to be his partner and go with him, get the ore, proceed with him to Nashville and have it tested.
LINDSAY and CARROLL were seen together going toward the river bottom on December 14, 1840. Three days later LINDSAY'S horse was found grazing in the woods. His body was found floating in the river. CARROLL was not to be found.
At that time W. R. SAUNDERS, an intelligent, cultivated and unassuming young man, lived with his father, Rev. Hubbard SAUNDERS, a Methodist preacher, who, in 1798, had settled on a tract of land north of the pike (still the family homestead), half a mile west of the present site of Saundersville. Soon after this murder young SAUNDERS left home. In a short while he was going from place to place in Arkansas and then in the Indian nation, asking questions about the prices of lands, newest immigrants, etc. He located CARROLL, then revealed his purpose to CARROLL'S employer, who helped along the ruse to get CARROLL in irons. CARROLL was tried in Gallatin, was defended by Jo. C. GUILD and was hanged in South Nashville along with two other murderers, PAYNE of Franklin County, and KIRBY of White. The hanging of KIRBY and CARROLL together was in good taste, for there was a remarkable similarity in their crimes. KIRBY lured old man ELROD into Pine Mountains to show him a saltpeter mine in a cave. In both cases the admissibility of certain declarations by deceased as to his intentions, etc. in starting on a journey were passed on by the Supreme Court and are frequently quoted in the criminal courts now. (Note- Kirby vs State, 9 Yerg. 383; Carroll vs State, 3 Hump. 315; Payne vs State, 3 Hump. 275.)
SAUNDERSVILLE got its name from W. R. SAUNDERS, who was the first merchant and the first postmaster there. The first tavern was the Read Hotel. In the latter days of the stage coach Thomas S. WATSON conducted a public tavern (still standing) where the stage passengers and other travelers always made it convenient to stop. At this time and for years after the war Saundersville was a flourishing village.
AVONDALE, the home of E. S. GARDNER, was so named when purchased by his father, E. S. GARDNER, about twenty-five years ago to be used in breeding race horses. He had at the head of his stud King Hanover, Imp. Quicklime and Himyar. In one year Himyar's get won more money than the get of any other sire. Avondale produced Ida Pickwick, Soufle, Adalia, Fraulein, Bracelet and others.
THE LONG HUNTERS- NORRIS CHAPEL (METHODIST)- The first church built in Sumner County was situated on Station Camp Creek, just north of the railroad at Pilot Knob. No vestige of it remains.
GILLESPIE AND CAGE- The residence south of the pike and east of the Cage's Bend Road, was built (the log "ell") soon after the land was purchased by William GILLESPIE, about 1793, and the brick front by his son-in-law, Jesse CAGE, about 1836. GILLESPIE came here from the Watauga Settlement with Maj. William CAGE, Jesse CAGE'S father, purchased two grants, aggregating 1,280 acres, the northern and eastern boundaries being Pilot Knob and Station Camp Creek, from which they extended south about two miles. After the death of Jesse CAGE the farm came in the possession of his son, Dr. John F. CAGE. After the war it was owned by Temple O. HARRIS, and then by Burrell BENDER. Here the late Capt. Jesse CAGE, of Nashville Clerk of Sumner County Court for many years, was born and reared.
CAGE'S CHAPEL- Dr. John F. CAGE was the leading spirit in building Station Camp, or
Cage's Chapel, the land for which he gave off the east end of his farm near the creek.
Prof. MOSES, uncle of Hon. Frank MOSES, of Knoxville, was conducting a school there when the outbreak of the Civil War robbed him of his largest pupils.
The church site is now occupied by a residence. On the bank of the creek, near the church, stood Hunt's Mill, latter known as Baber's and then as Peyton's Mill. It was once a flourishing "custom" grinder. Its demise, about 1885, marked the first stage in the subsequent development of centralization in business.
But the worse feature about the going of the old mill was, the mill-pond went with it, with its "going-in-a-washing" privileges and its "lusty trout."
The publication of the number of black perch caught in this pond by Maj. D. C. DOUGLASS and Dr. Jack F. CAGE in one day, provoked a denial by a "Yankee" of that period who "proved" that the feat was impossible-much to the amusement of the neighborhood.
BELLEMONT- The brick residence on the creek bluff, south of the pike, at Number One, was
built in 1836 by Thomas BABER. It was later owned by Dr. Robert FARQUARHARSON, who
sold it to John D. GOSS in 1862.
GOSS'S father was a wealthy sugar planter in San Domingo. A map of his plantation, seven miles square, is still in possession of the family.
At the time of the famous negro uprising in 1797 a friendly slave notified GOSS of the coming trouble. He and his wife were two of the very few who escaped. They went to Maryland, where John D. GOSS was born. In 1824 John D. GOSS rode on horse back from Baltimore to Nashville and started a furniture business. Later he married Elizabeth BOWIE, whose father established a factory in Robertson County to make guns for Jackson in the second war with England. Elizabeth BOWIE was a first cousin of James and Reason P. BOWIE and was born in 1808 at the home of their father, Reason BOWIE, which stood on the bank of Station Camp Creek, about fifty yards north of the present residence of W. A. HEWGLEY, one mile west of Gallatin.
Five years after retiring from a successful business career John D. GOSS died, but his family retained possession of the place until a few years ago. The house was furnished with handsome mahogany furniture, much of which had been taken to San Domingo from France and brought to "Bellemont" via Baltimore and Nashville. The house stands to-day as sound as when first built.
KENNESAW- Albert FRANKLIN, son of the original James, had three sons, Albert C., Walter,
and James. In the seventies, and later, their lands extended from Station Camp Creek, near Pilot
Knob, eastwardly to the Balie PEYTON farm.
Albert FRANKLIN bought his first race horse in 1868, and his two sons, Albert and James, naturally turned to the turf. As proprietor of Kennesaw, on the north side of the pike, east of Number One, Capt. James FRANKLIN displayed a talent in horse breeding that amounted almost to genius. In Capt. FRANKLIN'S lifetime Glengary was at the head of Kennesaw Stud and the leading brood mares were Kathleen, Arizona, a great four-miler; and Nevada, all purchased with other brood mares in Kentucky. The three mares named and other Kennesaw brood were by Lexington, one of the greatest horses known to the turf. He sired more high class brood mares than any horse of this day. Under Capt. FRANKLIN'S mating and management Kennesaw produced:
George Kinney (dam Kathleen), best horse of this day;
Aranza (dam Arizona), winner in England;
Amerique(dam of Armament);
Stuyvesant, first horse that ever ran a mile in 1:40;
Kingman, winner of Kentucky and Latonia Derbies and Clark stakes;
Kennesaw, for whom the farm was named;
Greenland, Gladstone, Lollie Eastin, Lillian Beatrice and Luke Blackburn, foaled in 1877.
Captain FRANKLIN sold Luke Blackburn to DWYER Bros. Ridden by MCLAUGHLIN, as a three year old, he won twenty straight races, beating every good three year old of his year. He is said to have been the best three year old ever foaled.
Kennesaw Farm was the first to sell a yearling for as much as $7,500- Joe Blackburn, full brother to Luke.
Under management of its present owner, Harry FRANKLIN, son of "Capt. Jim," Kennesaw has produced:
Percita, dam of Prince Albert;
Ben MacDhui, winner of Canadian Derby and sold for $6 - 500.00;
Benvolio, winner by one-fourth mile of Dixie Stakes, last four mile race run in Tennessee. Time 7:17 2-5.
Von Rouse, sold for $15,000.00;
Prince Ahmed, holds world's record of three-quarter mile in 1:11.
FAIRVIEW AND ITS OWNERS - Isaac FRANKLIN, son of James FRANKLIN, was born at
the family homestead on Station Camp Creek, north of Pilot Knob, May 26, 1789. His father was
neither poor nor rich. By the time Isaac FRANKLIN was forty years old he had accumulated a
considerable sum of money and had become very much a citizen of the world, spending each
summer in Washington City and each winter in New Orleans or Natchez.
In the first decade of the last century the population of the eight cotton States, from Carolina to Texas, increased fifty percent; in the second decade, beginning the year FRANKLIN became of age, the increase was fifty-five per cent. In the latter decade, though cotton prices had dropped and ranged around fifteen and sixteen cents, cotton planting amounted almost to madness. Immigrants flocked in by the thousands from Northern States and invested in cotton lands. Business and professional men labored the harder that they might have a sufficiency to buy and develop cotton plantations, upon which to retire. FRANKLIN caught the spirit of the age. First, in 1831, he purchased ten or twelve tracts of land, aggregating about two thousand acres, four miles west of Gallatin, and a year or two later built thereon what was proven by sworn testimony to have been, at that time, the finest country residence in Tennessee.
"The grounds around were planted with choice trees and laid out in the best manner; here he had green houses, flower gardens, sumptuous furniture, several fine carriages, choice wines of all kinds, a stable of race horses, a large quantity of blooded stock and a number of picked servants, more than sufficient even for such an establishment." (Note- La. Sup. Ct. opinion in case of Acklen vs Franklin, June 1852).
But with all this splendor Fairview lacked the finishing touch of feminine presence and FRANKLIN was there on only a few days a year.
Impressed with the immense possibilities of operating plantations in Louisiana, in connection with Fairview, FRANKLIN, "in May, 1835, purchased the undivided half of near eight thousand acres of land in West Feliciana, upwards of two hundred slaves and all the stock necessary for the immense plantation, and immediately formed a partnership with a resident of the parish for the purpose of carrying on, as it was expressed, the business of planting upon several plantations in the parish." (Note- La. Supreme Court). A few years later he became "the undivided proprietor of the vast plantations in which he was before interested- had accumulated together more than five-sixths of his colossal fortune in immovable property." (La. Supreme Court)
In 1839 wonderful change took place in the appearance of Fairview; a splendid macadamized road was completed along its front and the perfecting touch was given in the selection of a wife to preside over "the finest country home in Tennessee." On July 2 FRANKLIN married Miss Adelicia HAYES, of Nashville, daughter of Oliver B. HAYES, an able lawyer, a leading citizen and Grand Master Mason of the Masonic fraternity in Tennessee. FRANKLIN was then fifty years old. His bride was twenty-two, an honor graduate of the Nashville Female Academy and eminently qualified by birth, education and association to preside as mistress of such an establishment as the master of Fairview had provided.
Before the building of the turnpike the country now traversed by the Interurban was one community. A thirty-mile ride for a visit, on horseback or by private conveyance, was no more thought of than is a ride to Gallatin now, by steam, electricity or gasoline. The completion of the turnpike increased this intercourse and Fairview was an "open house" from May to October. The winters were spent at Belleview plantation in West Feliciana and at New Orleans.
By 1841 FRANKLIN has developed three plantations in West Feliciana- Belleview, Killarney and Loch Lomond. Fairview, on the Cumberland, was run to supply mules, corn, bacon and other products necessary to carry on his plantation on the Mississippi. Transportation from Fairview was had by barge, flatboat or steamer.
The management of these four plantations, aggregating several thousand of acres, worked by many hundred slaves, called for the highest order of business sagacity, unerring judgement in the choice of subordinates and great executive ability. That FRANKLIN had all these qualities is shown by the fact that in the last five years of his life he opened and developed four more Louisiana plantations - Angora, Loango, Panola and Monrovia, and at his death, on April 27th, 1846, in his fifty-sixth year, left an estate worth very nearly one million dollars.
Fairview's 2,000 acres were valued at $40,000 its 138 slaves at $51,931 and its other personal property at $62,819. This was probably the taxable values, less than the real. FRANKLIN also owned an undivided interest in fifty thousand acres of Texas lands, valued at $25,000. He owned choses in action in Mississippi. The bulk of his fortune, consisting of lands, slaves and farm stock - was in West Feliciana, La., his slaves there numbering between 600 and 700. Placing his wealth at seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars, FRANKLIN saved more than twenty thousand dollars for every year of his life after his twenty-first birthday, which was very good for a Pilot Knob boy between 1810 and 1846.
But his wealth did not free him of trouble. In January 1846, he wrote from New Orleans to his father-in-law: "I will be compelled to break up that (Fairview) whole establishment it I do not change my mind. I will take the greater part of the hands off next fall and put them on some of my lands in Louisiana; they give me more trouble then all my other property."
In recognizing the educational needs in the South FRANKLIN, who began life about the same time Cornelius VANDERBILT did, was twenty five years in advance of the Commodore, and his philanthropy was greater, for he set aside a greater proportion of his estate for the establishment and maintenance of an institute for the descendants of his father and for deserving poor children of Sumner County. This provision of his will was attacked, but held valid by the Supreme Court of Tennessee (Note - 2 Sneed, 304) in December, 1854, after a contest in which Jo C. GUILD and Edwin H. EWING appeared for the trustees of the school; W. F. COOPER, for Emma FRANKLIN, a minor daughter; John J. WHITE and Return J. MEIGS for the executors, O. B. HAYES and John ARMFIELD; and Francis B. FOGG for ACKLEN and wife. John MARSHALL, of Franklin, special judge, delivered the opinion of the court.
But in June, 1852, the Supreme Court of Louisiana had held this clause void on the ground that it set up a perpetuity. In delivering a dissenting opinion Judge PRESTON spoke in most complimentary terms of FRANKLIN'S philanthropy. In part, he said.
"Having acquired great wealth by his own exertions, by industry, economy and good fortune, when by will he undertook to make the best disposition of it, in prospect of death, after providing most magnificently for his own immediate household he turned his thoughts to those connected with him by blood and to his native country, remembered its poor and provided an establishment in which they could receive the greatest blessings of life, a good and substantial English education. This must be, in the language of our code, an establishment of public utility, and forbidden by no law, human or divine... That this object was legal and highly laudable cannot be disputed... Upon the whole case I think every clause of the testament of Isaac FRANKLIN can legally, and ought to be, carried into full effect. And especially that the great monument of wisdom and benevolence which he attempted to erect should be left to perpetuate his memory, since, in my opinion, neither our laws nor any motives of public policy exist for crumbling it to the dust."
But it was not left to "perpetuate his memory," nor has he any descendants to keep him name alive. (Note - Two young daughters died in June following his death in April and his other child, Emma, died unmarried). Still he deserves to be remembered as the first native Tennessean (Note- So far as the writer knows) who provided out of his fortune for the establishment and maintenance of an educational institution.
After the death of her husband and two of her children Mrs. FRANKLIN returned to Nashville. In 1849 she married Col. J. A. S. ACKLEN and her son, Col. J. H. ACKLEN, sold Fairview to Charles REED, of New York, for fifty thousand dollars cash.
At great expense REED converted it into a race horse nursery. His most noted studs were Mr. Pickwick, Highlander, Fechter, Rossifer, III Used and Muscovy, all of which he purchased. St. Blaise, for whom he paid $100,000, proved a failure in the stud. Under REED'S management Fairview produced The Bard, purchased by A. J. CASSETT, the railroad president: Dobbins, purchased by Richard CROKER; Thora, a great cup mare and the most celebrated mare of the age. Three of Thora's foals - Yorkville Belle, Dobbins, and Sir Joseph, sold at auction for $76,000.
The most noted horse owned (not bred) by Charles REED was a steeple chaser called Trouble, ridden in this country by Pat MANEY, celebrated for his skill in this particular form of horsemanship. Maney, brought from Europe, won for REED $1000,000. When Trouble became too old to jump he took to the stage and was the chief figure in a racing scene until his death.
Several years after REED sold all the horses he continued to reside at Fairview, but about four years ago sold the whole estate to a syndicate which subdivided the land and sold it off into small farms, as when FRANKLIN, the first master of Fairview, found the land in 1831.