Elder J. P. Gilliam, Hico, Texas. He is of English-Irish descent. He is low and small of stature and inclined to dark complexion. He is the son of L. W. and Martha E. (Meador) Gilliam. He was born at Bethpage, Sumner County, Tennessee, September 21, 1854. He was reared on a farm taught some in early manhood. He made a profession at Friendship Church, Trousdale County, Tennessee, December, 1874. He joined the church at Independence, Sumner County, Tennessee, in March 1875, and was baptized by Elder Giles G. Harris. He was ordained by the authority of Independence Church, August 14, 1878, by Elders E. B. Haynie, J. K. Tinsley and J. S. Pardue. He has been pastor of churches as follows: Shady Grove, 1878-91, Independence, 1879-82; Bracken's Chapel, 1879-81, Little Cedar Lick, 1882-92; Baker's Grove, 1884-88; Hillsdale, 1881-84; Fellowship, 1884-86, Mt Olivet, 1888-92; New Hope, 1884-88; Shop Spring, 1892-99, half time; Round Lick, 1892-99, half time; Springfield, Tenn., full time, 1899-1901. He is now pastor of Hico, Texas, for full time. He attended common schools and completed the English course in the Gallatin High School, Gallatin, Tenn., 1874. He has constituted three churches. He has baptized 1,640 persons, and married 575 couples. In meetings in which he assisted there have been 2,313 baptisms. He was married to Miss Belle Pardue, in Sumner County, Tennessee, January 10, 1878 by whom he has four children living on earth, one in heaven.