The Family of John and Elizabeth PERRY of Sumner
Submitted by Linda Davis Reno
John Perry was born 1770 in NC. His wife, Elizabeth ____was born 1775 in NC. They were in
Sumner County by 1814 based on the birthplace of their son Thomas. John and Elizabeth were
listed in the 1850 census of Sumner Co. Their children:
- Martha "Patsy", born bef. 1809. Married: Robert "Robin" Tuttle 7/22/1824, Sumner Co.
- William "Bill" Tuttle, b. 1827 and died 1904, Sumner Co.
- William, b. 1809. Married first, Catherine Key 9/1/1830; second, Catherine Morris
8/29/1850; and third, Sarah Jane "Sally" Gant (daughter of Levi Gant and Margaret Minnis and
widow of James M. Dinkins) 1/1/1868, all in Sumner Co. There were children only from his first
Children of William Perry and Catherine Key:
- Joshua Sanders Perry, b. 10/5/1833. Married: Mary Ann Rippy 5/15/1856. Joshua
Sanders Perry was killed in Alabama or Mississippi during the Civil War. His widow married
second, William Witham 11/18/1865.
- James William Perry, b. 4/14/1857; died 1/20/1938. Married: Tallie Davis
- John Wesley Perry, b. 11/18/1859; died 9/5/1931. Married: Patsy Catherine
Graves before 1882.
- Sarah Frances Perry, b. 1836. Married: Thomas Webb Durham 5/14/1862.
- Nancy Jane Perry, b. 1837. Married first, Josiah D. Escue 11/7/1856. She married
second, her cousin Samuel Perry 8/18/1862.
- Richardson E. Perry, b. 1838; living in 1850.
- Martha Perry, b. 1840. Married: George Key 10/1/1856.
- Mahala C. Perry, b. 1842. Married: Azeneth Escue 11/29/1859.
- Sarah L. Perry, b. 1846; living in 1850.
Children of William Perry and Catherine Morris:
- John William Francis "France" Perry, b. 1851 and died 10/10/1914. Married first,
Artelia "Tellie" Dinkins 1/4/1869; second, Mildred E. Frances Robertson 4/24/1884; and third,
Mrs. Sarah "Sis" Cole 3/9/1914. No children by third wife.
Children of John William Francis Perry and Artelia "Tellie" Dinkins (daughter of James M.
Dinkins and Sarah Jane Gant):
- John Levi Perry, b. 10/3/1870; died 1942. Married: Mollie Sadler 5/21/1888.
- William P. Perry, b. 7/1889; living 1900.
- Henry Marshall Perry, b. 6/7/1892; d. 2/2/1978. Married: Eunice Key.
Children: Louise Perry, Myrtle May Perry, and Alvie Guy Perry.
- Arthur N. Perry, b. 3/11/1896; d. 1/9/1965. Married: Rosie ____.
- Lizzie M. Perry, b. 8/18/1898. Married: Ewell Biggers.
- Hettie M. Perry, b. 5/11/1904. Married: Luther Lee Trout.
- Robert Taylor Perry, b. 5/12/1906; d. 4/14/1949. Married: Roberta
- Lee Woodson Perry, b. 4/20/1908; d. 11/13/1938. Married: Beatrice
Spears. Children: Frederic Perry and Randall Perry.
- Tellie Perry, born after 1900. Married: Homer Clark.
- Joe Perry, born after 1900. Married: Rosie _____.
- Tad Perry, b. after 1900. Married: Sadie Brassell.
- Nathaniel Buck Perry, b. 2/15/1873; died 12/27/1956. Married first, Mona
Moncrief 10/5/1895 and second, Lizzie Bennett 11/23/1904.
Children of Nathaniel Perry and Mona Moncrief:
- Larry Perry, b. 8/3/1897; died 3/20/1927.
Children of Nathaniel Perry and Lizzie Bennett:
- Woodrow Perry, b. aft 1904.
- Homer N. Perry, b. 5/7/1906. Married: Mollie O. ____.
- William Joshua "Bill" Perry, b. 3/9/1875; died 1/16/1941. Married: Lou Katie
- Willie Perry, b. 1/1899.
- Lolar May Perry, b. 3/10/1900; living in 1986. Married: Smillie Cantrell
- Clara Perry, b. after 1900. Married: Andrew Clark.
- Eulie Seas Perry, b. after 1900. Married: Agnes Williams.
- Lou Tellie Perry, b. after 1900. Married: Hubert Clark.
- James Wesley Perry, b. 10/29/1877. Wife's name not known. Children: Bryant
Perry, Pat Perry, and Henson (Henderson) Perry.
- Richard "Dick" Perry, b. 1880/1884; living in 1916.
Children of John William Francis Perry and Mildred E. Frances Robertson (daughter of James
Sanders Robertson and Martha A. Higgerson and formerly wife of Lonnie Lawrence):
- Sarah Ann Katherine Perry, b. 10/7/1885; died 10/12/1944. Married: Mizell
Phillips (son of John L. Phillips and Margaret Loan Melvina Anglea) 12/27/1901. Children:
- Arvie Odell Phillips, b. 10/11/1902; died 8/1937. Married: Laura
Nixon. No children.
- Edgar Roby "Midge" Phillips, b. 12/10/1903; died 10/1978. Married:
- Annie Laura Pauline Phillips, b. 7/30/1908; died 6/1/1908. Married:
James Bailey Burr.
- Basil Phillips, b. 3/9/1907; d. 10/15/1907.
- Garland Albert Phillips, b. 12/15/1915; died 3/29/1983. Never married.
- Millie May Phillips, b. 7/7/1916; died 10/6/1995. Married: Robert
Cordell Bentle (son of James and Susie Bentle) 10/4/1932. Children: James Ray Bentle;
Katherine "Katie" Sue Bentle; Wanda Kay Bentle; Robert "Robbie" Charles Bentle; Naomi
- Vernon Perry "Cotton" Phillips, b. 4/1/1919; d. 4/24/1996. Married:
Bernadine East (daughter of Madison East and Pervie Rippy) 12/24/1937. Children: Gerald
Leonard Phillips; Perry Lee Phillips; James Robert Phillips.
- Addie Fay Phillips, b. 4/19/1921. Married: Carl Hayden Cannon (son of
Grover Cleveland Cannon and Lillie Adora Hodges) 4/16/1938. Children: Barbara Ann Cannon;
Patsy Faye Cannon; Judith "Judi" Carlene Cannon; Tony Roger Cannon; Jon Carl Cannon; and
Cindy Lou Cannon.
- Billy Sanders Phillips, b. 9/13/1924; d. 7/20/1926.
- Nellie Agnes "Kitty" Phillips, b. 10/5/1926; d. 3/4/1981. Married:
William Philip Davis 7/14/1945. Children: Linda Darlene Davis; William Philip Davis, Jr.
- Robert Lee "Bobby" Phillips, b. 8/17/1929; d. aft 1981. Married:
Audrey Faye Broyles (daughter of Orville Broyles and Bertie Kennedy) 1948. Children: Sandra
"Sandy" Sue Phillips; Albert Lee Phillips; Terry Layne Phillips; and Ronald Gene Phillips.
- Odell Francis Perry, b. 2/1887; died abt 1941 in Indianapolis, IN. Married:
Laura Reynolds 10/25/1906; and second, Nellie _____. Child by Laura Reynolds: Mary Anna
- Burnice Chapman Perry, b. 3/7/1889; died 4/24/1963. Married: Callie Johnson
- Carney Wilburn Perry, b. 3/13/1910; d. 8/25/1962. Married: Mabel
Etolia Hudson (daughter of Leslie Edward Hudson and Alta Brambell Lasley of Clay Co., TX).
Children: Bobby Ray Perry.
- Pearlie Louella Perry, b. 6/12/1919. Married: Delbert Trout.
- Carney Perry, b. 10/16/1893; died 1962. Married first, Ellen Graves (daughter
of Alexander Greene Graves and Ellen Emmaline Creasy) and second, Mamie ____.
Children by Ellen Graves:
- Avaline Perry. She married Leo Trout.
- Walter Perry
- Emily Perry, b. 1857; living in 1860.
- Minerva Perry, b. 1859; living in 1860.
- Thomas, b. 1814 TN. Married: Nancy Durham (daughter of Samuel Durham and Sally
Morris) 8/13/1839, Sumner Co. Their children:
- Samuel Perry, b. 1840; living in 1900. He married his cousin, Nancy Jane Perry
8/18/1862, widow of Josiah D. Escue. Their children:
- Margaret E. Perry, b. 1864; living 1880.
- John T. Perry, b. 1866; living 1880.
- Mattie "Molly" Perry, b. 1869; living 1880.
- Samuel F. Perry, b. 1877; living 1880.
- James B. Perry, b. 12/1879; living 1900. Married: Tomie Mason 4/1/1892.
- Levander Perry, b. 5/1893; living 1900.
- James W. Perry, b. 2/1895; living 1900.
- Jasper Perry, b. 10/1879; living 1900. Married: Tennie Ford 5/2/1894.
- Roy M. Perry, b. 7/1892; living 1900.
- Sarah Elizabeth Perry, b. 1843; living in 1860.
- John W. Perry, b. 1845; living in 1870. Married: Sarah Adkins 5/25/1866.
- Emily Jane Perry, b. Dec. 1849. d. Mar. 21 1914. Married: William Mason 6/25/1881 in
Sumner County, TN.
- Lucilius Perry, b. May, 1849 and died 1/6/1914. Married: Martha Parker 10/31/1873.
- Thomas Perry, b. 1854; living 1870.
- Burton Perry, b. 1857; living 1870.
- Rosa Perry, b. 1858. Married: Frank Parker 12/6/1873.
- Ann Perry, b. 1860; living 1870.
- Nancy Minerva Perry, b. 1864; living 1870.
- John, b. 1821 TN. He was deceased by 11/13/1880 when James W. Reddick was appointed
Administrator of his estate. Married first, Melvina "Vina" Gant 8/13/1845 and second, Mary Jane
Morris 11/1/1872, both in Sumner Co. No children by second marriage.
Children of John Perry and Melvina "Vina" Gant (daughter of Levi Gant and Margaret Minnis):
- Will Henry Perry, b. 21 May 1846, d. 29 Jan. 1906 in Sumner Co. TN. Married: 5 Mar 1874
in Sumner Co. TN to Cornelia Ann (Mary T.) Woodward. b. 9 Oct 1844, d. 5 Jan 1895 in
Sumner Co. TN. There children: George Gideon (b. 21 Sept 1877, d. 13 Feb, 1964. Married
Laura Bell Stone), John, Tom and Harriett.
- Thomas G. Perry, b. 1849; living 1880.
- Margaret "Peggy" Perry, b. 1852; living 1880.
- Martha Perry, b. 1854; living 1870.
- John Levi Perry, b. 1859; living 1880.
- Mary Catherine "Katie" Perry, b. 1864; living 1882. J. W. Morgan was appointed as
her guardian 6/1882.
- Clarinda R. "Clerrine" Perry, b. 1865; living 1882. J. W. Morgan was appointed as
her guardian 6/1882.
- Carra Perry, b. 1856 and died 10/24/1882.
- Elizabeth, b. 1824 TN. She was living with her parents in 1850.
Return to the Sumner County, TN Family Album
Return to the Sumner Main Page