Shiloh Presbyterian Church History
Compiled by Theda Womack
Reprinted with permission.
SHILOH CHURCH was organized in 1793 by the Rev. William McGee from the Muhlenburg Presbytery.
The first building was located on the hill between the Scottsville Pike and the Hartsville Pike, on property
now owned by Dr. Enoch, just behind his veterinarian clinic. An old cemetery now marks the spot. The
church remained in this building until about 1830.
On 2 June 1831 John Crenshaw made a deed to W. Barr, Trustee, for 5-1/2 acres for $50, but said deed
states "northeast corner of Shiloh meeting house tract," so evidently building was already there at that time.
This church building was located on farm formerly owned by Porter Womack, now in subdivision owned by
McFin Properties, on Lot No. 4.
Church records show that the brick church on Scottsville Pike was dedicated on the second Sunday in June,
1871. In the 1940's this church became a mission and was supported in part by the Board of Home
Pastors shown by the church records were:
- William McGee from 1793 to about 1800
- William Hodge from about 1800 to 1816
- John N. Blackburn in 1817
- John R. Bain in 1820's
- J. W. Hall 1830-37
- John Allison 1841-44
- J. W. Hume 1845-50
- C. Foster Williams 1851-52
- W. A. Harrison 1853-59
- Henry B. Boude 1860-67
- J. W. Canfield 1867-69
- J. W. Hoyt, balance of 1869
- Alex. Cowan 1870-74
- C. L. Ewing 1875
- J. S. Artuthnot - part of 1875
- W. B. Thompson 1876-77
- A. McElroy 1878
- A. Enloe 1879
- Robert Gray, Wm. Johnson, Calvin Morrow 1879-85
- J. R. Howerton & C. J. Miskell 1885
Remembered by former members of this church as pastors were:
- Rev. Dubois about 1911 (first pastor rememberd by Janie Gillespie Braly)
- Revs. Nash, Ramsey & Osborne in 1920's & 1930's
- Rev. James G. Johnson (father of Townes B. Johnson) from about 1940 to about 1951.
- Two students from thc Board of Home Missions ______ Barr & Bill Alexamder about 1952 & 53.
The church closed in 1953 or 54.
Return to Sumner County Churches Page
Return to Sumner County Main Page