The Byram (Byrum) family is remembered in Union County today with the establishment of the Byrams Fork Baptist Church organized in 1873. The first church building was destroyed in a storm and many years passed before a new building was constructed. Some of the members who served on the finance and building committees to rebuild in 1915 were:
JASPER GRAY, WILLIAM TUDOR, ALBERT WEAVER, J.T. DeMARCUS, W.B. HALE, JACK CAMPBELL, JAMES FLATFORD, RUFUS WRIGHT, and WILLIAM DeMARCUS.
Although the building has been repaired and remodeled over the years, the present building is the one constructed in 1915.
The first pastor was Rev. H. PEW in 1874. Other pastors have included: W.B. HILL 1922, E.S. WILSON 1942, EDGAR ELKINS, CLEM COOPER, W.G. WARWICK 1944, BRADFORD BULLOCK 1946, CLAUDE COOPER 1949, OTIS WEAVER 1950, JOHNNY JONES 1951, SHADE BROOKS 1952, B.Z. SMITH 1953, WAYNE RODGERS 1955, CLYDE GRAY 1956, J.D. RIDENOUR 1957, RALPH BIBLE, E.H. BASS 1957, WALTER FRAKER 1957, CLYDE GRAY 1958, ARTIS BRANTLEY 1976, MOSS DANIELS 1976, CLYDE GRAY 1978, SHANNON WALKER 1979, ROY BEELER 1979, JAMES CAPPS 1981-1985, ROBIN RYDER 1985-1989, and the present pastor GREG INKLEBARGER.
Byrams Fork Baptist Church has a membership of 193. The oldest members include: ELMER WEAVER, LARRY "BIRD" BRANUM, HOLSEY JOHNSON, and WILMA TURNER CAPPS. History courtesy Bobby Flatford 1988.
Don't see your church on these pages? Got the history of one of these churches? Got a photograph for us to use?