Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

THE GOODSPEED HISTORY OF WILSON COUNTY, TENNESSEE
BIOGRAPHICAL APPENDIX
(originally published 1886)

submitted by William C. Colley Jr.
source: Woodward & Stinson Printing Co. Edition, Reprint 1971
For noncommercial use only.


CONTENTS:  (Adams - Freese)





    JAMES N. ADAMS, farmer and merchant, was born in Davidson County, Tenn., August 17, 1851, and is one of three children born to the marriage of Harvey Adams and Mariah Wasson, natives of Bourbon County, Ky., and of Irish and English descent, respectively. The father was born in 1815, and before his marriage (in 1840) was a dealer in fast horses. After residing some time at Nashville he removed to Wilson County where he owned a farm of 187 acres. In 1876 he sold this farm and again removed to Nashville, where he yet resides. Our subject was reared at home, and received the degree of A. B. from Bethany College, West Virginia, and LL.B. from the law department of Cumberland University of Lebanon, Tenn. He afterward became a teacher in the Oakland Seminary, and continued in that capacity two years. He began practicing law in Nashville, but owing to ill health was compelled to discontinue. May 11, 1881, he wedded Ladie M., daughter of John C. and Mary R. Fowler. She was born August 7, 1862, in Nashville, Tenn. They have two children: Eldon and Charmian. After his marriage Mr. Adams resided on a farm near Nashville until 1885, when he removed to the farm where he now lives, and engaged in his present business. He is a believer in the principles of Democracy, and votes according to the dictates of his conscience. His wife is member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

    JOSEPH M. ANDERSON, M. D., was born in the town of Lebanon, Tenn., on the southeast corner of the Public Square, October 17, 1815, being the oldest natural born citizen now living, and is one of the two sons of Patrick and Fannie (Chandler) Anderson. The brother, Thompson Anderson, resides in the city .of Nashville and is worthy of its citizenship. The father was born in Virginia in 1779, and the mother in North Carolina, in 1779. The father was a merchant and one of the pioneers of Tennessee and suffered the privations incident to early times. His death occurred in 1817, and his widow married Maj. William Hartsfield and became a resident of Davidson County, where she resided at the time of her death, in 1838. Our subject was reared without a father's guidance and obtained his education in the schools of Lebanon and at a school called Porter's Hill Academy, afterward Clinton College, in Smith County, Tenn. At the age of eighteen he began the study of medicine under Dr. John Ray, and in 1835 he entered the Transylvania Medical College of Philadelphia, Penn., remaining one session. On September 24, 1835, he wedded Mary Dixson Lypert, a daughter of Lawrence and Mary Lypert. Mrs. Anderson was born October 27, 1820, in Wilson County, and she and her husband became the parents of twelve children, only three of whom are living: Joseph B., Samuel and Kate Lee. In the fall of l836 Dr. Anderson returned to college at Philadelphia, where he graduated as an M. D. in March, 1837. He is now the oldest and one of the most successful physicians and surgeons of Lebanon as well as one of the most enterprising, public-spirited and progressive citizens of the county. He was formerly a member of the old Whig party, but since the death of that party has affiliated with the Democracy. He is a member of the following fraternities: Lebanon Masonic Lodge, No. 98: he became a Master Mason in 1843; Royal Arch Mason, in 1849; Knight Templar, in 1886; Junior and Senior Warden of the Grand Lodge; served as Grand Master for two years, which fact stands unequaled and established a precedent in the Tennessee Grand Lodge for forty years; was Most Excellent Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter of the State of Tennessee; Thrice Illustrious Grand Master of the Grand Council of the State of Tennessee, Deputy Grand Commander of the Grand Commandery, and served as Grand Commander the same year. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and his wife of the Christian Church. Our subject has lived a long and useful life, and no man occupies a more exalted place in the estimation of his neighbors and fellow-citizens.

     JAMES AUST, a young and energetic farmer of District No. 3, was born in 1855, in Wilson County, Tenn., and is the son of Thomas P. and Sarah (Riggin) Aust. The father was of German descent and was born in Virginia in 1811. He was a farmer by occupation. When but a youth he left his native State with his father, who went to West Tennessee and took possession of a large tract of land for services rendered in the war of 1812. Thomas Aust lived in Wilson County at the time of his marriage, which occurred in 1832. Soon afterward he bought 140 acres of land and engaged in farming. In 1848 he sold out and bought 202 acres three and a half miles from Lebanon. Here he died in 1876. The mother was born in 1812, in North Carolina, and is now living with her son James. Our subject received his education in the country schools and in addition he attended the preparatory schools of the University at Lebanon, and also at Transylvania University, at Lexington, Ky. For the past eight years James has had control of the old home place and has managed it in a skillful manner. He is a young man of temperate habits and is courteous and unassuming. His mother is a member of Methodist Episcopal Church South.

    DR. R. H. BAKER, a prominent citizen and physician of Watertown, Tenn., was born in Davidson County June 1, 1847, one of a family of eight children of William D. and Mary (Fuqua) Baker. The father was born in Tennessee October 9, 1812, and was married in 1831. He was a farmer by occupation, and held the office of magistrate for twenty-seven years. Since 1883 he and wife have made their home with our subject, Dr. R. H. Baker, who spent his boyhood days on a farm. He attended the common schools and completed his education at the Nashville University, and afterward entered the medical department of that institution and graduated in 1873. He located at Cherry Valley, where he remained two years, but since his marriage has lived in Watertown, with the exception of a short time spent at a Medical College in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he took a course in homoeopathy. He has had good success as a physician, and is a member of the Philadelphos Society, of Cincinnati, Ohio, an institution for the mutual advancement of students and professors. He owns 100 acres of land which he manages in connection with his practice. The Doctor is conservative in politics. For some time he was a member of the Masonic fraternity and I. O. O. F., being a Master Mason in the former, but since joining the Christian Church he has ceased to be an active worker in either order.

    CAPT. WADE BAKER, a successful farmer and stock raiser, was born in Smith County, Tenn., January 30, 1824, and is one of a family of two children born to John E. and Elizabeth (Benshy) Baker. The father was of German lineage and a native of Virginia, born January 8, 1781. He was a farmer and stock raiser by occupation. He was in the war of 1812 and participated in the battle of New Orleans. January 8, 1892, he was married. At the time of his death, which occurred October 23, 1866, he owned a considerable amount of property, both personal and real. The mother was born February 2, 1804, in Smith County, and died September 9, 1829. Our subject was reared in Wilson County and received his education in the country schools. In 1850 he commenced farming for himself, and in the space of ten years had accumulated a considerable amount of property. During the late war he enlisted in the Confederate service, and in 1861 was made captain of Company F, Twenty-eighth Tennessee. He was in the battles of Fishing Creek and Shiloh. August 19, 1862, he returned home and married Mary E. Hudleston, a native of Tennessee, born March 27, 1848, and the daughter of William W. and Mary Hudleston. Capt. Baker continued to till the soil and in 1870 he engaged in merchandising in connection with farming, which he continued for eight years. He then retired to his farm where he now lives, enjoying good health, with his wife and three children, named Lee, John E. and Wade. The Captain is a Democrat and a member of the Christian Church. He has been postmaster at Rural Hill for ten years. Mrs. Baker is a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

    CAPT. WILLIAM P. BANDY, sheriff and native of Wilson County, Tenn., was born on the 4th of July, 1823, one of five children of Epperson and Harriet (Pierce) Bandy, of German and French origin, born in 1794 and 1804, in Virginia and Tennessee, respectively. The father was a farmer, and in 1800 came to Tennessee with his parents and became the owner of 300 acres of land. He was twice married, his second wife being Betsy (Denton) Walker. He died in 1868 and the mother in 1831. Our subject attended the county schools, and June 11, 1850, was married to Lucinda Lane, daughter of Bennett Lane. She was born in 1830 and became the mother of these children: Mildred C., wife of George W. Lanius, and Harriet, wife of James Boss. Mr. Bandy moved to Arkansas in 1855. and there his wife died in 1857. He then returned home. In 1861 he enlisted in Company K, Eighteenth Regiment Tennessee Infantry, being first lieutenant, and rose to the rank of captain. He was in many of the principal battles of the war and was wounded at Murfreesboro and Chickamauga, but not seriously. He was captured at the fall of Fort Donelson and sent to Camp Chase, Ohio. He returned home in May, 1865. He served as deputy sheriff from 1865 to 1872, and in 1876 was chosen sheriff, serving as such six years, and the following year was deputy. Since 1884 he has held the office and is a candidate for re-election. In 1871 he wedded Mrs. Virginia (Holmes) Brown, born in New York in 1840. They have three children living: Sallie L., Edward P. and Henry J. Capt. Bandy came to Lebanon in 1880. He owns 183 acres of the old home place. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and I. O. O. F. and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

    JONATHAN BANDY, one of the prominent farmers of the Fourth District, Wilson County, was born in Sumner County, Tenn., February 20, 1829. and is one of five children born to Epperson and Harriet Bandy. (See sketch of W. P. Bandy). Our subject remained at home until he was twenty-five years of age, receiving his education in the schools of the county. In 1815 he wedded S. M. Ross, a native of Wilson County, Tenn., born November 12, 1842, and the daughter of Samuel and Susan Ross. To Mr. and Mrs. Bandy were born four children: Corrie E., Pierce J., Sudie S. and Maxie R. In 1854 he bought land in Wilson County and engaged in agricultural pursuits. He has added to his land from time to time till at the present he has 450 acres. He is a Democrat in polities and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

    DANIEL J. BARTON, trustee of Wilson County, Tenn., is a native of this county, born February 6, 1842, son of Gabriel and Jane (Johnson) Barton. The father was of Irish birth, born in Nashville, Tenn., April 4, 1794, and followed the occupation of farming. His father, Samuel Barton, was a native Virginian, and came to Nashville when there were but. four families residing in the place, and when it was necessary to take every precaution to guard against the Indians. Gabriel Barton was the possessor of 333 acres of land at the time of his death, June 5, 1862. The mother died in 1857. Our subject was educated in the country schools, and in July, 1861, enlisted in Company K, Twenty-fourth Regiment, Tennessee Volunteer Infantry, and was an active participant in the battles of Perryville, Murfreesboro and Chickamauga, where he was severely wounded in the right arm from the explosion of a shell, the limb having to be amputated. He then remained in the commissary department until the close of the war. He then returned home and attended school at Taylorsville two years, and in 1868 began farming. In 1874 Mr. Barton was appointed revenue collector for Wilson County for two years, and after farming until 1883 was elected county trustee, and now holds the office. December 14, 1882, he was united in marriage to Eudora, daughter of Robert C. and Anna B. Scobey. Mrs. Barton was born September 21, 1857, in Wilson County, and she and Mr. Barton are members of the Christian Church.

    J. P. BASHAW, an enterprising farmer and stock raiser, was born December 7, 1842, in Wilson County, Tenn., and is one of a family of five children born to J. W. and Charlotte (Cherry) Bashaw. The father was born May 6, 1804, in Davidson County, Tenn., and was of French descent. He was a farmer by occupation, and December 5, 1838, he married and moved to Wilson County, Tenn., where he carried on stock raising in connection with farming. He died November 6, 1884. The mother was born September 24, 1816, and died August 30, 1844. Our subject was reared in Wilson County, Tenn., in the Twenty-fifth District, receiving his education in the country schools and at Washington and Lee Universities. November 10, 1870, Salura Cook became his wife. She was born March 19, 1851, and is a daughter of Dr. L. M. N. Cook. To Mr. and Mrs. Bashaw were born four children: Kate E., Pierce, Eulixis and James B. Mr. Bashaw bolds to the principles of Democracy, and he and wife are worthy members of the Missionary Baptist Church.

    REV. RICHARD BEARD, D. D. (deceased), was born November 27, 1799, in Sumner County, Tenn., and died December 2, 1880, at Lebanon, this State. On March 10, 1819, he joined the Nashville Presbytery of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, was licensed to preach October 12, 1820, and July 29, 1822, was ordained. He attended Cumberland College at Princeton, Ky., from which he graduated in September, 1832, and the day following this event was made professor of ancient languages in that institution, a position he retained six years. In the summer of 1838 he was elected to the professorship of languages in Sharon College, Mississippi, entering upon the duties of that position the succeeding fall. In September, 1843, he was made president of Cumberland College, Kentucky, and in the spring of 1853 was made professor of systematic theology in Cumberland University, at Lebanon, Tenn. He moved to Lebanon, and in March, 1854, assumed the position to which he had been elected, and so continued until his demise. Dr. Beard was a man of keen intellect, extended information, an able instructor, an excellent counselor and zealous Christian. He wedded Miss Cynthia E. Castleman, in Davidson County, Tenn., January 21, 1834. Mrs. Beard was born November 22, 1804, in the county where she was married, and died at Lebanon, Tenn., May 27, 1886.

    HON. E. E. BEARD. a son of Rev. Richard Beard, D. D., and Cynthia E. Beard was born at Princeton, Caldwell Co., Ky., August 27, 1850. His father removed with his family to Lebanon, Tenn., in 1854, where Mr. Beard has resided since that time. He graduated in the academic department of the Cumberland University in 1870, and in the law department in 1871. He has practiced law at Lebanon since his graduation and is now a member of the firm of Williamson & Beard. In December, 1877, he was elected mayor of Lebanon and re-elected in 1878 and 1879. In the year 1881 Lebanon became a taxing district of the second class and Mr. Beard has held the position of treasurer of the board of commissioners since that date. In January, 1879, Mr. Beard was elected treasurer of the trustees of the Cumberland University and now holds that position. In January, 1885, he was elected to represent Wilson County in the lower house of the Tennessee Legislature, filling a vacancy caused by the resignation of John C. Forr. On the 12th of .October, 1876, Mr. Beard married Miss Sarah Livingston, of Davidson County, Tenn.

    MAJ. ROBERT BELL. one of the old citizens and farmers of the Twenty-third District, was born in 1805 in Davidson County, Tenn. He is the son of James and Mary (Dean) Bell. The father was born in 1777, in North Carolina, and in 1783 came with his parents to Sumner County, Tenn., but afterward moved to Davidson County. His father, Robert Bell, our subject's .grandfather, was the father of nineteen children, eighteen of whom lived to be grown. He was a captain in the Revolutionary war, and died in 1816 at the age of eighty-five years. In 1819 James Bell came to Wilson County and bought 515 acres in the Twenty-third District, settled and remained here until his death, which occurred in 1823. The mother was born in 1777, in Virginia, and died in 1829. They had nine children, three of whom are now living. Our subject received his education mostly outside of the school room. During his boyhood days and youth the schools were few and far between, and educational advantages were very poor. After the death of his father. Robert being the eldest child, the responsibility of the family fell largely upon his shoulders. January 21, 1830, he married Polly Hooker, a native of Wilson County, born in 1811, and the daughter of Benjamin Hooker. To them was born one child, Erastus P., who resides in Rutherford County. Mrs. Bell died June 3, 1841, and the following year he married Sarah A. Furgason, a native of Virginia, born in 1818, and by her became the father of ten children, five of whom are living: Jane M., wife of James A. Neal, who lives in Lebanon; Samuel S., Byron, George F. and Willie S., wife of A. D. Peyton. Maj. Bell is now living on the old homestead and is esteemed as an honest and upright citizen. In politics he was formerly a Whig, casting his first vote for Andrew Jackson. February, 1876, he lost his wife, and since then his son, G. F., has been living with him. Maj. Bell is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and has led a conscientious Christian life for the past forty-seven years.

    W. H. BROWN was born in Lebanon, Tenn., December 18, 1837, and is one of seven children of Samuel and Lucy (Chandler) Brown, born in North Carolina and Virginia in 1800 and 1804, and died in 1852 and 1872, respectively. The father was a saddler by trade and after coming to Tennessee always made Lebanon his home. Our subject was educated in the academies of Lebanon, and at the age of thirteen began clerking for A. R. Davis, for whom he worked ten years. February 2, 1860, he wedded Mattie C. Davis, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Davis. Mrs. Brown was born September 18, 1834, and to her and husband were born seven children: Dixon Lee, Frank William, Mary, Robert Samuel, Jordan Harry, Charlie Brittin and Fannie. In 1865 Mr. Brown established a dry goods store in Lebanon with a capital of $1,195, $1,000 of which was borrowed. In 1876 he added ready-made clothing to his stock, continuing until January 1, 1885, when he sold his stock to his son, Dixon Lee. In 1874 Mr. Brown succeeded in organizing the Springfield National Bank, and was appointed cashier, but resigned at the end of six months as he did not wish to leave his old native town and county. In 1881 he organized the People's Bank of Lebanon, a private bank, with a capital of $25,000, and was appointed cashier. This bank paid to its stockholders 13 per cent the first year. January 1, 1883, the capital stock of the bank was increased to $40,000. In June, 1884, Mr. Brown and his stockholders bought out the Second National Bank, of Lebanon, a bank organized in 1872, with a capital of $50,000. June 9, 1884, the People's Bank of Lebanon was consolidated with the Second National Bank, and the capital was increased to $70,000. In the reorganization Selden R. Williams was elected president, successor to James Hamilton, and W. H. Brown was appointed cashier, successor to T. J. Stratton. Mr. Brown owns $23,000 stock in the bank, two business houses in Lebanon, seven houses and lots, a small farm, and has a herd of pure bred Short-horn cattle. He belongs to the Democratic party, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity in Lodge No. 98, of Lebanon. He and wife are members of the Christian Church.

    T. B. BROWN, farmer and proprietor of a saw-mill, was born in Page County. Va., March 31, 1844. He is one of six children born to Isaac and Rachel A. (Wood) Brown. The father was of German-Irish lineage and was born in Virginia in 1819. He was a cooper by trade and this occupation he followed the principal part of his life. He died in 1885. The mother was also of German-Irish lineage and was born in Virginia in 1821, and is at present living in DeKalb County, Tenn. The subject of this sketch assisted at home until he was twenty-two years of age, receiving his education in the schools of the county. In July, 1862, he enlisted in Company B. Fifth Tennessee Cavalry, Volunteers. He took an active part in the battles of Stone River, Missionary Ridge, Nashville and many other minor engagements. He remained in the field until the close of the war, when he returned home. In 1867 he wedded Cauras, daughter of Howard and Pattie Compton. Mrs. Brown was born in Tennessee in 1846. In 1869 Mr. Brown married Annie, daughter of Isaac and Sarah Smith. To our subject and wife were born four children: Candis, Sally, Lulecta and Daisy. In 1871 Mr. Brown bought four town lots in Alexandria, Tenn., and the year previous had purchased the saw-mill which he is at present operating and has operated successfully for the past sixteen years. In 1876 he purchased 155 acres of land in Wilson County and began tilling the soil. He is now the owner of over 300 acres of land and in connection with his farming carries on the saw-milling business. He has been quite successful in life. He is a Republican in politics and a worthy member of the Christian Church.

    J. W. BRYAN, an enterprising farmer of Wilson County, Tenn., was born in Halifax County, Va., March 7, 1822, and is one of a family of ten children of Richard and Mary (Brown) Bryan. The father was a native of the "Old Dominion," born in 1792, and was married about 1818, and came to Tennessee in 1826. He was a soldier in the war of 1812 and died June 30, 1855. The mother was born in the same State as her husband in 1800, and died March 27, 1884. Our subject's early educational advantages were limited. July 15, 1849, he wedded Unity, daughter of John H. and Elizabeth Bryant. She was born in May, 1821, and died December 15, 1855, leaving three children, one now living, Samuel H. In 1846 Mr. Bryan became a soldier in the Mexican war, enlisting in Company B, First Tennessee Cavalry, and was under Gen. Scott in the bombardment of Vera Cruz for twenty-six days. He returned home in 1847 and resumed tilling his farm of 120 acres, which he had purchased in 1845. April 29, 1856, he married Margaret C., daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Carr) Turner. Mrs. Bryan was born in Sumner County, November 8, 1838. They have eight children: Sarah A., Tennessee, Mary, Alice, Thomas M., Hugh B., Ervin and Zula. To his first purchase of land he has added to until he at one time owned 700 acres, but now owns about 530 acres of valuable farming land. He has been exceptionally prosperous and has given his children good educations, and is himself well posted on all the topics of the day. He is a Democrat and cast his first presidential vote for Henry Clay. He and his wife belong to the Missionary Baptist Church.

    PROF. E. S. BRYAN is a resident and native of Wilson County, Tenn., and was born October 13, 1856. He is the second son of six children of Algernon and Elizabeth C. (Phillips) Bryan. The father was a physician, born in 1822. He purchased 177 acres of land in Wilson County, Tenn., and there remained until his career ended. He was educated in the Eclectic Medical Institute, at Cincinnati, Ohio, and at the University of Nashville, graduating from both institutions. He was a successful physician and died in August, 1884. The mother was born in Wilson County, Tenn., in 1830, and like her husband was of Irish descent; she died July 18, 1881. Our subject, after attending the common schools, became a student in the Big Spring Seminary and Cumberland University. In 1880 he became a student in the Commercial College, at Nashville, and graduated in November of the same year. In 1881 he became book-keeper for a Nashville firm, but at the end of six months returned home. He was an instructor of the young about five years, the last two and a half years in Santa Fe, Tenn., and was a good educator and disciplinarian. After serving as book-keeper for J. T. McClain & Co., he went to Louisville, Ky., and attended a business college, devoting the most of his time to penmanship, after which he taught in Santa Fe, as above stated. Prof. Bryan is a Democrat and cast his first presidential vote for Hancock. In 1879 he was deputy postmaster of Lebanon. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and K. of P., and belongs to the United Brethren Church.

    P. B. CALHOUN was born on the 12th of December, 1819, in Wilson County. Tenn., son of Thomas and Mary (Johnson) Calhoun. The father was of Scotch-Irish origin, born in North Carolina in 1782, and came to Wilson County. Tenn., in 1801. He was married in 1809 and died in 1855. The mother was also born in North Carolina in 1784 and died in 1850. Our subject spent about one year and a half in Clinton College, Smith County, and afterward entered as sophomore at Miami College, Oxford, Ohio, graduating in 1841. In 1855 he was united in marriage to Elizabeth, daughter of Dr. and Sarah Jennings, and two children were born to their union, named Mary (wife of John Lamb), and P. J. .Mrs. Calhoun lived but three years after her marriage. In 1864 Mr. Calhoun married the widow of Thomas Johnson, who has borne him the following family: Mattie S., Ewing G., Lilla M., Thomas Wayne and Corrie M. Mr. Calhoun was a resident of Columbus, Miss., a number of years and was clerk of the circuit and county courts for three years. In 1850 he went to Texas and there taught school three years, and was engaged in the land business five years. He then returned home and remained until the war, when he was made commissary agent of the Confederate States and remained in Georgia until the close of the war. Mr. Calhoun is a distant relation of John C. Calhoun. While in Texas he owned 8,000 acres of land, but suffered severe losses during the war. He now owns a good home, and is a Democrat and Mason. and he and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

    JOSEPH CAMPER, a farmer and stock raiser, was born October 31, 1812, in Botecourt County, Va., and is a son of John and Sallie (Level) Camper. The father was born in 1782 in Virginia and was a farmer by occupation. He died in Missouri in 1858. The mother was born in 1778 in Pennsylvania and died in Tennessee in 1838. Our subject received his education in the country schools, and at the age of twenty-two began tilling the soil for himself. In 1840 he was licensed to preach by the quarterly conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church and continued to travel and preach for four years. May 30, 1844, he married Elizabeth A. (Brewer) Camper. She was born February 15, 1826, in Tennessee, and is the daughter of M. and S. Brewer. After marriage he settled in the Twenty-second District of Wilson County on 260 acres, where he now lives. He is the father of three children: Mary J., S. E. and Willie Lee. He is a Democrat, a Mason, and he and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was elected president of the Tennessee Annual Conference and has the respect and esteem of all his fellow-men.

    HON. ROBERT CANTRELL, judge of the Seventh Judicial Circuit, is a native of Warren County, Tenn., and is a son of Isaac and Nancy (Adcock) Cantrell. The parents were of English lineage, born in South Carolina in 1784 and 1790, and died in 1840 and 1872, respectively. He was twice married, his first wife being Bettie Cantrell. He was the father of eleven children, and came to Tennessee in 1816. Robert Cantrell, the seventh son, was educated in the pioneer schoolhouse and in the Fulton Literary Academy at Smithville, Tenn. After his father's death Robert looked after the interests of the farm and cared for his mother. December 23, 1846, he and Martha Magness were married. She is a daughter of Perry and Mary Magness, and was born December 15, 1831. They have eight children living: Mary J., Kate, Harriet P., William M., Robert, Bailey, Minnie and Mattie. He worked on a farm until twenty-one years old, for some time as clerk in a store and afterward became interested in the dry goods business, about 1848 he abandoned this and began studying law. February 9, 1849, he was admitted to the bar, and is now one of the leading lawyers of Wilson County. In 1861 be enlisted in Company F, Twenty-third Regiment Infantry, and was chosen captain of his company, and
was afterward elected lieutenant-colonel and in 1862 was tendered the position of colonel, and was assured he would have no opposition in case he became a candidate, but declined on account of ill health. He assisted in collecting stores for the quartermaster and commissary departments. He was captured by a scouting party in 1868, but was soon after paroled. Since the war he has been a resident of Lebanon. In 1858 he was elected to the lower house of the State Legislature and in 1860 was nominated for the Legislature again, but having no desire to enter into politics declined the race. In 1878 he was elected to his present position. He is a prominent and popular judge and to-day stands at the head of his profession. He is a Mason, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a zealous temperance worker and has been ever since 1848, and says he wilt continue the war on whisky as long as it continues to produce crime, causes murders, makes widows and orphans, fills jails and alms houses and causes our helpless women and children to cry for help as against their oppressors--men who ought to aid as husband, parent and friend.

    JOHN D. CARSON is one of seven children of James and Lucinda (Dalton) Carson,  and was born in Sumner County, Tenn., in 1826. James Carson was of Irish descent and a North Carolinian by birth. He was brought to Tennessee by his parents when an infant and was a resident of Sumner County at the time of his marriage. He came to Wilson County in 1835 and became the possessor of 280 acres near Lebanon. He died in 1875. The mother was born in Virginia and died in 1852. Our subject made his home with his parents until twenty-six years old and February 4, 1852, was united in marriage to Nancy C. Johnson, born in 1835, daughter of John and Elizabeth Johnson. To Mr. and Mrs. Carson were born the following children: Cornelia (wife of R. M. Williams), Alice, Kit, Bell, Laura (wife of William King), Ida, Dora and Walter. Mr. Carson possesses 377 acres of land in Wilson County. In 1844 he had a stroke of paralysis, which has unfitted him for manual labor, and although in good health is obliged to walk with the aid of canes. He takes but little interest in politics and has not voted for a presidential candidate since 1860. Both husband and wife belong to the Christian Church.

    MAJ. SAMUEL A. CARTER (deceased) was one of the leading business men of Lebanon, Tenn. He was born February 29, 1832, in Wilson County, being one of eight children of William W. and Isabella (Roane) Carter. Maj. William W. Carter was born in Culpepper County, Va., in 1798, and when quite young moved with his parents to Kentucky, and at a later period moved to Tennessee, where he engaged in various pursuits, dealing extensively in tobacco, built and owned two large flouring-mills: one at Lebanon, Wilson County, and the other in the city of Nashville. He also dealt extensively in real estate, owning some of the largest and best farms in the county; notably the celebrated Big Springs farm, containing 1,000 acres, lying seven miles east of Lebanon, and what is now known as the Grigby farm, containing 1,000 acres, three miles from Lebanon. Mr. Carter was noted for his honesty and fairness in all his dealings, and his word was always considered as good as his bond, and with his great energy and good financiering he accumulated a handsome fortune. He was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church for a number of years, and died at his home near Lebanon in 1877 at the ripe old age of seventy-nine, Isabella (Roane) Carter, mother of our subject, was of a distinguished family of this State. Two of her brothers, Samuel and John Roane, were governors of Arkansas. She was also a niece of Gov. Roane, of Tennessee. She died at the old homestead near Lebanon in 1883. Our subject was educated in the schools of Lebanon, and July 4, 1876, was married to Miss Jennie Jackson, daughter of Thomas R. and Elizabeth Jackson, who were born in 1804 and 1814 in, North Carolina and Missouri respectively. Mr. Jackson died May 6, 1883. Mrs. Carter was born March 22, 1853. She and husband became the parents of four children: Estelle, Willie W., Inez and Sammie. Maj. Carter lived all his life in and around Lebanon, and was closely connected with some of the town's principal business interests for years, and by his industry and fine business capacity acquired a considerable estate, and at his death was a large stockholder in the Second National Bank of Lebanon. In 1858 he and J. A. Lester established a family grocery, which they conducted three years. He was also a member of the tobacco firm of Carter & Lester. In 1861 Maj. Carter enlisted a large company of volunteers in Wilson County for the Confederate Army, and was elected their captain, and when the Forty-fifth Tennessee Regiment was organized he was elected major of the regiment. After his father's death he settled on his farm of 220 acres near Lebanon, and there died March 27, 1884. His widow and her mother have since lived on the home farm. Maj. Carter was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as is his wife.

    JOHN L. CASTLEMAN, farmer, was born January 15, 1838, near his present home. He is the son of Robert and Artimenta (Reed) Castleman. The father is of Welsh descent, born 1814 in Wilson County, and was a tiller of the soil. His father, Jacob Castleman, was a native of North Carolina, and came to Wilson County, Tenn., about 1800. He was a soldier in the war of 1812. Robert lived in his native county at the time of his marriage, which occurred in 1834. He settled five miles from Lebanon on the Murfreesboro Pike and bought 150 acres, and here he has since resided. He is one of Wilson County's old citizens. He believed that a rolling stone gathers no moss, as he has never lived more than one mile from his birth-place, and never been farther than Nashville from home. The mother was born 1810 in Wilson County, and died September 2, 1885. They had three children, all of whom are living. Our subject received his education in the county schools of his native county, and in addition he attended the Cumberland University of Lebanon for one year. In 1859 he wedded Sarah J. Holloway, daughter of Ezekiel Holloway. Mrs. Castleman was born 1837 in Wilson County, and by her marriage to Mr. Castleman became the mother of three children: Jef L., Edward and Val. Mr. Castleman bought 140 acres near his old home place, where he has since resided. The Castleman family do not possess the disposition to be dissatisfied. They are content to live in Wilson County. In politics our subject is a Democrat. In 1861 he enlisted in Company A, First Tennessee Regiment, but was soon changed to the Thirty-eighth Tennessee. He took an active part in the battles of Shiloh, Murfreesboro, Corinth, and numerous minor engagements. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.

    J..P. CAWTHON first saw the light of day in Wilson County, Tenn., September 27, 1817, and is one of three children of Thomas F. and Susan (Daniel) Cawthon. The father was born in Prince Edward's County, Va., August 31, 1792, and came to Tennessee in 1808. He was a farmer and stock raiser, and died in June, 1873. The mother was born, in 1794, and died in March, 1874. Our subject was reared in the Twenty-fifth District of Wilson County, and obtained his education in the country schools. After attaining his majority he began learning the saddlery business, which he mastered in four years' time. December 3, 1840, he was united in matrimony to Ann (Robbins) Cawthon, who was born March 15, 1827, daughter of Thomas and Ruth Robbins. Mr. Cawthon resided for some time at Mount Juliet, Tenn., and in 1850 purchased 100 acres of land, which he has since increased to 220 acres. Since 1857 he has held the office of squire and has given good satisfaction, Mr. Cawthon has eight children: Lunsford Polk, Allie, William H., Sue W., James Edward, Thomas Preston, Mary A. and Emma Lee. Mr. Cawthon supports Democratic principles, and belongs to the I. O. O. F. His wife is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

    J. D. CHAMBERS, an enterprising farmer, was born in Wilson County, Tenn., September 17, 1844, and is a son of John and Edna (Johnson) Chambers. The father was of Scotch-Irish descent, and was born in Wilson County, Tenn., in 1806, and followed agricultural pursuits the principal part of his life. He never left his native county, and died there in 1865. The mother was of Scotch-Irish extraction, a native of Tennessee, born in 1812, and died in Wilson County, of that State, in 1878. The subject of our sketch was reared at home, and received his education in the schools of the county. After the death of his father he took charge of the estate which he superintended, with the assistance of his brothers, for about ten years. In 1874 he was married to Woody, daughter of John and Mary Miller. Mrs. Chambers was born in Wilson County, Tenn., December 19, 1849. In 1867 he bought forty-five acres of land in Wilson County, where he commenced farming on his own responsibility, and is now the owner of 243 acres of land, all lying in Wilson County, Tenn., where he is at present living. He is a Democrat and a member of the Christian Church.

    H. A. CHAMBERS, farmer, was born in Wilson County, Tenn., December 23, 1841, and is a son of John and Edna (Johnson) Chambers (for sketch of parents see biography of J. D. Chambers). Our subject assisted in agricultural pursuits on the farm and attended the county schools. September 18, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Twenty-eighth Tennessee Infantry, Confederate States Army, and took an active part ia the battles of Shiloh, Chickamauga and many other minor engagements. At the close of the war he returned home, and in 1866 he was united in marriage to Marcia Holman, a native of Wilson County, Tenn., born August 20, 1844, a daughter of William S. and Sophia A. Holman. To our subject and wife were born eight children: Lelia, Eugene, Pearl, Hortense, Daisy, Sophia, Pauline and Bessie. In 1867 he purchased 165 acres of land in Wilson County, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits. He now possesses and controls about 400 acres of land in the Fifth District. He is a Democrat in politics and a member of the Christian Church.

    D. D. CLAYTON, an energetic farmer of Wilson County, was born in Macon County, Tenn., in 1827, and is one of five children born to John and Phoebe (Hogg) Clayton. The father was born in North Carolina, and was a tiller of the soil; he died in 1830. The mother was born in Tennessee and died in Wilson County July 8, 1848. Our subject passed his early life on the farm, and received his education in the schools of the county. In 1866 he was married to Ann E., daughter of A. and E. Kirkpatrick. Mrs. Clayton was born in Wilson County, Tenn., in 1831, and the fruit of her union with Mr. Clayton was one child--Alexander A. Mr. Clayton is a man of energy and perseverance, and is quite a successful farmer. He is the present owner of 100 acres of land lying in the Fourth District, where he is at present living. He is a Democrat in politics.

    LEMUEL N. M. COOK, M. D., was born in Wilson County, Tenn., August 15, 1815, and is a son of Green and Mary A. (Nicholson) Cook, North Carolinians, born in 1788 and 1787, and died in 1875 and 1853, respectively. The father was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was married in 1814. He was a farmer by occupation. Our subject attended the common schools, and his medical education was obtained in the Medical College of Louisville, Ky., from which institution he graduated in 1838. He was married, April 16, 1845, to Alvira Lassiter, daughter of Enos Lassiter. She was born in Tennessee in 1823 and died February 26, 1883, leaving eight children: E. K. (elsewhere written), Chloe N. (wife of Prof. Kennedy), Seluria (wife of J. P. Bashaw), Joseph L., Ella (wife of Prof. B. M. Mace), Mary, William and Emma (wife of H. L. Pickett). In 1876 Dr. Cook was elected trustee of Wilson County, and served in that capacity four successive terms, returning to his home in 1884. He is an old and highly esteemed citizen, and is a supporter of Democratic principles. He belongs to the Masonic lodge, and also of the K. of  P. lodge, No. 20, of Lebanon, and the I. O. O. F. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

    CHARLES H. COOK, farmer, was born in Davidson County, Tenn., March 29, 1826, and is one of six children born to James H. and Jane (Hope) Cook. The father was born in North Carolina in 1779, and was of English-German lineage. He was a mechanic by trade, and was elected constable and served in that capacity for several years. He was also magistrate, and held that office up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1844. The mother was born in 1800 and was of English lineage; she died in 1866. Our subject was reared in Davidson County, Tenn., and learned the plasterer's trade, which he followed successfully for twenty years. In 1850 he wedded Rachel A. Carver, who was born in June, 1824, and who is the daughter of Isaac Carver. Our subject has been engaged in the shoe business, the blacksmithing and wheelwrighting and the saw and grist-mill business since 1861. In 1865 he wedded Cleopatra Ozment, who was born August 5, 1834, and is the daughter of James H. and Martha Ozment. This union resulted in the birth of these children: Mary J., Seleta Ann, Zuella S., James E., Martha L., Oliver C. K., Evalena, Green G. and D. Lillian. Mr. Cook is a Democrat, and he and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church; he is also a member of the I. O. O. F. In 1875-76 he was elected constable, and filled that office in an able and satisfactory manner.

    DAVID COOK was born in Rhode Island in 1795, and died June 17, 1878. He was educated in Newport, R, I., Com. Perry being his schoolmate. He was quite a mechanical genius, and after serving an apprenticeship in a machine shop became a workman of superior ability and was made foreman in large factories in Lowell. In 1841 he came to Lebanon, Tenn., to take charge of a cotton factory, and the following year sent for his wife (formerly Mary Colburn) and family. He worked at several occupations through life, and was a resident of Lebanon for thirty-eight years, being one of the substantial and influential citizens of the town. This tribute to his memory was proclaimed by the mayor of the city at his death: "To the citizens of Lebanon--Death has been among us; he has taken the oldest of our numbers. David Cook is no more. His clear, sound judgment; his moral, upright walk; his active, industrious life; his manly, Christian bearing, all call for our respect and admiration. For more than forty years he has gone in and come out before this community, and we can all bear witness to his many virtues. It is exceeding appropriate that we should show our esteem for such a life. I therefore request that all the business houses of the city be closed from 12 to 4 P. M. as a mark of respect to the deceased. E. E. Beard, mayor." He was a strong adherent of the Masonic fraternity, and was highly honored by that order. Besides having filled all the chairs of the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery, he officiated as Deputy Grand High Priest of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter and Deputy Grand Commander of the Grand Commandery. He was one of Tennessee's brightest Masons, and before the time of his death was said to have been the oldest living Sir Knight in Tennessee. His wife was a sister of Warren Colburn, the author of Colburn's Arithmetic, which is widely known throughout the United States.

    CLARK COOK, farmer, of the Third District, was born in Lowell, Mass., November, 1832, He is the son of David and Mary (Colburn) Cook. [For further particulars of parents see sketch of Julia A. Jones, of the Tenth District.] Our subject came to Wilson County with his parents in 1841 and received his education in the Cumberland University. In 1856 he commenced clerking in a dry goods store in Lebanon. In 1858 he went to South Carolina, and from there to Alabama, where he began buying and selling carriages. During the four years of the war he was a traveling druggist dealing out medicine to the soldiers. In 1864 he clerked in a drug store in the city of New York. The following year he came to Nashville and clerked for his brother. The same year he and Mr. McCarty established a dry goods and grocery store in Lebanon, the first goods brought to the town after the war. In 1870 he went to Missouri and kept a first-class restaurant for eighteen months. In 1873 he came to Wilson County, Tenn., bought 125 acres in the Third District and began farming, which he has continued nearly ever since. January 7, 1869, he married Alice Smith, a native of Canal Dover, Tuscarawas Co., Ohio, born March 27, 1854, and the daughter of John and Annie Smith. To our subject and wife were born four children: George, Harry, David and Mary. Mr. Cook is a man of good moral character, and a useful and enterprising citizen.

    E. K. COOK, farmer, was born in Wilson County, Tenn., March 3. 1846. and is one of eight children born to the marriage of L. N. M. Cook and Alvira Lassiter. (See sketch of  L. N. M. Cook). Our subject was educated in his native county, and resided under the paternal roof until he was twenty-six years of age. In 1863 he enlisted in Company B, Fourth Tennessee, Confederate States Army, Cavalry, and was with Jeff Davis in Georgia when the forces were surrendered. He was in all the principal engagements with Sherman on his march to the sea. June 9, 1880, Mr. Cook wedded Susan, daughter of Samuel and Martha Young. She was born March 11, 1864, and has borne her husband two children: Bashie and Mamie. Mr. Cook is a Democrat in politics, and is a member of the I. O. O. F., and he and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

    M. W. COWEN, M. D., farmer, was born in Wilson County Tenn., March 7. 1828, and is one of seven children born to James and Nancy (Walker) Cowen. The father was born in Wilson County Tenn., in 1800, and was living in that county at the time of his marriage and followed the occupation of a farmer during his entire existence. He died in his native county August, 1838. The mother was born in Wilson County in 1806, and died in that county in 1847. Our subject passed his early life in assisting on the farm and attending the schools of the county. Later he graduated from the medical department of the University of New York. Having received his first course of lectures from the University of Louisville, Ky. In 1851 he was married to Adeline, daughter of B. and M. F. Hill. Mrs. Cowen was born in Wilson County Tenn., October 12, 1828, and by her union with Dr. Cowen became the mother of an interesting family of six children: Julius E., James B., George W., Matthew W., Albert B. and John W. In 1847 Mr. Cowen came in possession of sixty-six acres of land and in 1851 he bought 150 acres more, in Wilson County and began farming for himself. He has added from time to time and is at present the owner of over 400 acres of land, all lying in the Fourth District, where he is at present living and engaged in agricultural pursuits. He is a Democrat, a member of the Christian Church, and a successful practitioner of this county.

     J. P. COX, undertaker, of Lebanon, Tenn., was born August 15, 1884, in Wilson County, son of Andrew and Sarah A. (Palmer) Cox, born in Virginia and Tennessee. in 1800 and 1804, respectively. The father came to Tennessee when ten years old with his parents, and became a prosperous farmer of Wilson County. He died in 1856 and the mother in 1876. After her husband's death she married W. A. Robinson. Our subject was educated in the common schools and in 1856 married Maria Freeman, daughter of Josiah Freeman. She was born November 4, 1837. Mr. Cox was operating a carriage factory at the breaking out of the war, and in November, 1861, enlisted in the Fourth Regiment, Tennessee Cavalry, and participated in many of the principal battles of the war. He was captured at Lebanon in 1864 and was kept a prisoner at Nashville until the fall of Richmond. In 1865 he lost his wife, and April 16, 1871, he married Jackie Maud Wright, daughter of James Wright, who was born in 1815. She was born December 19, 1854, in Arkansas. They have four children: Edgar E., Beulah M., W. Andrew and Fannie O. In 1869 Mr. Cox engaged in photography, traveling in Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and Kentucky. In March, 1882, he engaged in his present business. He is a Democrat and in 1875 he was elected city marshal, holding the office eight years. He is a Knight of Pythias and his wife belongs to the Christian Church.

    W. T. CRAGWALL, farmer, was born in Wilson County, Tenn., August 21,1847, and is one of nine children born to William J. and Ellen B. (Harris) Cragwall. The father was of English extraction, a native of Virginia, born April 21, 1807. He came to Tennessee in 1835 and bought about 100 acres of land and began tilling the soil. He is at present living in Wilson County, and is still engaged in farming. The mother was born in Hanover County, Va., March 2, 1811, and died in Wilson County, Tenn., July 15, 1861. Our subject passed his youthful days in assisting on the farm and in getting a fair education in the schools of the county and at White Creek Spring in Davidson County, Tenn. In 1875 he married Sally Welkisen, a native of Wilson County, Tenn., born March 4, 1853, and is the daughter of Isaac J. anti Elizabeth J. Welkisen. To Mr. and Mrs. Cragwall were born four children: Albert O., Tepuple O., James W. and Willie C. In 1873 our subject bought 231 acres of land in the Fifth District where he is at present living. He is a Democrat in politics and a worthy member of the Christian Church.

    JAMES A. CURD is a native of Prince Edward's County, Va., born in September, 1809, and is one of twelve children of John and Elizabeth (Lumpkin) Curd. The father was a Virginian by birth, born in 1761, and came to Wilson County, Tenn., in 1818, where he settled and became the possessor of 800 acres of land. He died in 1821. The mother was born in 1775 in Virginia. and died in Wilson County, Tenn., in 1835. James A. Curd was united in marriage to Susan Everett. November 18, 1833. She was born in Wilson County, July 4, 1809. anti is a daughter of John Everett. After his marriage Mr. Curd began to till the soil for himself, and by his energy and industry accumulated about 600 acres of good land, where he and wife now live. To them were born the following children: John, Eliza and Emma. Mr. Curd is a prominent farmer of the county, and favors and supports Democratic principles. He and Mrs. Curd are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.

    J. N. CURD. M. D., of  Mount Juliet, Tenn., was born in Wilson County, Tenn., in 1884, and is a son of William and Susan (Davis) Curd, natives, respectively, of Virginia and Tennessee. The father came to Tennessee at an early period and during his lifetime he followed the occupation of farming, owning at the time of his death, in 1842, about 420 acres of land. After her husband's death the mother, who was born in 1814, resided on the home place with her children and added 200 acres to their already extensive farm. She died in June, 1870. Our subject received his early education in the schools of his native county and in addition attended the Union University of Murfreesboro, Tenn., for one year. At the age of twenty-five he began studying medicine under A. J. Winter. In 1860 he attended the medical department of the Nashville University, remaining until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in Hardy Brett's company of the Forty-fifth Regular Tennessee Infantry, and served in the capacity of hospital steward and assistant surgeon. He was in many of the principal battles of the war and numerous skirmishes. He returned home May 20, 1865. and resumed his practice. In 1866 he returned to the University of Nashville, from which he graduated as an M. D. in March, 1867. He has a thorough knowledge of his profession and has met with good success. Owing to ill health he has farmed principally for the last eleven years and is the possessor of 469 acres of land. In May, 1869, he wedded Ella Winter, daughter of Dr. A. J. Winter. She was born in 1849 and became the mother of five children: Gela, William E., Elmer, Edgar and May. Dr. Curd is a Democrat and was formerly a Whig, casting his first presidential vote for Gen. Scott. He is a member of the Baptist Church and his wife of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic fraternity, being a Master Mason.

    W. P. DAVIS was born in Wilson County, Tenn., August 19, 1833, and is one of seven children of I. F. and Sarah E. (Curd) Davis. The father was a native of Virginia, born in 1800. He was brought to Tennessee when only four years old, and afterward became a prosperous farmer and stock raiser, owning 1,500 acres of land at his death January 20, 1880. The mother was a native of the same State as her husband, born November 10, 1802, and is yet living in Wilson County with her son, R. T. Davis. Our subject was educated in the common schools and the Union University at Murfreesboro, Tenn. October 25, 1855, he was married to Margaret Elizabeth (Lindsey) Davis, born in 1834, and daughter of Lewis Lindsey. Mr. Davis was a soldier in the late war and served as quartermaster until its close. He returned home and farmed one year, and then went to Columbus, Ga., and was engaged in the livery business for six years. He then returned to Wilson County, where he manages his farm of 425 acres. He and wife have five children: S. E., Mattie A., Ella B., James L. and A. T. Mr. Davis is a Democrat, and he and family are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.

    R. T. DAVIS may be mentioned as a prominent farmer and stock raiser of Wilson County. Tenn.; was born April 18, 1843, and is one of five children of I. F. and Sarah (Curd) Davis. (For parent's history see sketch of W. P. Davis.) R.T. Davis was reared to manhood on a farm in the Second District of Wilson County, Tenn., and there received his education. In 1867 he became a tiller of the soil on his own responsibility, and on the 14th day of July, 1870, the nuptials of his marriage with Alice Reynolds was celebrated. She was born in Cumberland County, Va., July 25, 1844, and is a daughter of Obadiah Reynolds. She died October 5, 1875, and Mr. Davis took for his second wife Miss Rachel J. Winter, who was born January 10, 1854, in Wilson County, Tenn., daughter of Dr. Winter. To Mr. and Mrs. Davis were born these children: Ovie W., Alice R. and Nora E. Our subject is the owner of about 650 acres of fertile land, and is doing well financially. He is a Democrat, and is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. His wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

    I. J. DODSON, merchant, of Lebanon, Tenn., was born July 3, 1853, in Wilson County, Tenn., and is one of four children of Isaac J. and Levina (Edwards) Dodson. The father was born in Davidson County, but was a resident of Wilson County at the time of his marriage. He was twice married and the father of eight children. He died in 1853. His widow married S. T. Nix, with whom she lived until her death in 1883. Our subject was left without a father at the age of one month. His education was obtained in Lawrence College, DeKalb County, Tenn., and Cumberland University, Lebanon. November 17, 1874, he married Sallie Cox, daughter of T. J. Cox. She was born September 8, 1857, and is the mother of five children: Tommie, Sallie L., Maggie, Harry and Isaac J. From 1871 to 1873 Mr. Dodson was salesman for Fondill & Bennett, grocers, of Lebanon, and he then engaged in the business on his own responsibility. A year later he sold out, and he and his father-in-law formed a partnership in the hardware business, the firm being known as Dodson & Cox. Later they disposed of their stock, and Mr. Dodson purchased 400 acres of land and began tilling the soil. In 1879 he sold out and returned to Lebanon, and with John W. Price started a hardware store, and later became connected with J. T. McClain in business, and the firm was later known as McClain Bros. & Co. They have about $30,000 stock, and are doing an extensive business. Mr. Dodson is a man of fine business capacity, and in politics is a Democrat. He is a member of the K. of P. and belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church South. His wife is a Baptist.

    G. T. DODSON, an enterprising farmer of the Twenty-fourth District, was born January 29, 1835, in Wilson County, Tenn., and is one of six children born to I. J. and Octavia (Ba!lard) Dodson. The father was born in 1808 in Tennessee, and was of Scotch-Irish extraction. He was married in 1829, and in 1850 moved to Wilson County and tilled the soil until his death, which occurred August 5, 1853. The mother was born in 1813, in Wilson County, and was the daughter of George Ballard. Her death occurred in 1842. The subject of this sketch was reared in the Twenty-fourth District, and received the rudiments of his education in the country schools and subsequently attended college three terms. He soon purchased 180 acres of land in the Eleventh District, and May 12, 1857, he wedded Sarah J. Edwards, daughter of James Edwards. Mrs. Dodson died October 5, 1871, and April 7, 1881, he was married to Maggie A. Eatherly. Mr. Dodson is the father of two children: Stonewall Jackson, born May 21, 1866 (who has received a thorough English education, and will take a collegiate course, and will then study law), and Kate, who was born September 13, 1883. In 1861 our subject volunteered in the Confederate service, and was elected captain of the Forty-fourth Tennessee (under Col. J. S. Fulton). He was in the battles of Shiloh and Murfreesboro, received a gun-shot wound, and was captured and taken to Fort Delaware, where he remained for six months, when he was exchanged at Petersburg, Va. He came back, enlisted again, was at Richmond, Petersburg and Knoxville, and was with Lee at Appomattox Court House at the time of the surrender. He then returned home and engaged in farming and stock raising. He is a Democrat in politics and a good man.

    WILLIAM W. DONNELL, clerk of the Circuit Courts of Wilson County, Tenn.,  was born October 25, 1850, and is one of twelve children born to Robert P. and Cleopatra  (Hearn) Donnell. The father was of Scotch-Irish descent, born in Virginia. and came to Tennessee in his youth. He was a farmer and owned about 200 acres of land. He was one of the early settlers of the county, and died in March, 1862. The mother was born in North Carolina and after the death of her husband made her home with our subject. She died in 1876. When William W. was but twelve years old his father died. His elder brother being in the army the burden of supporting the family fell upon William. He has only attended school about fifteen months, but in spite of this disadvantage he has a good. practical business education, acquired through study and early contact with business life. He early began speculating in stock, and when eighteen years of age hired out as a clerk in the .general merchandise store of C. C. Hancock, and remained with him seven years. In 1870 he purchased Mr. Hancock's entire stock, and same year the building in which he did business caught fire, and was consumed with the entire contents. He and Marshall Young opened a similar store, but in 1881 disposed of the stock. A year later Mr. Donnell was elected to his present office by the Democratic party for a term of four years, and is now filling the duties of that office very efficiently.

    G. L. DRIFOOS, groceryman, of Lebanon, was born August 14, 1849, in Nashville, and is one of twelve children of L. and Eliza (Harsh) Drifoos. The father was born in Switzerland in 1806 and at the age of seventeen years came to the United States and began his life as a pack peddler. He was economical and persevering and in a few years had accumulated sufficient means to enable him to establish a dry goods store, which he did in Harrisburg, Penn. After his marriage, in 1838, he removed to Cincinnati, Ohio, and in 1843 came to Lebanon, Tenn., where he has been in the mercantile business nearly ever since. Since 1870 he has lived a retired life. The mother was of German descent, born in Harrisburg, Penn., in 1820. Our subject was educated in Cumberland University and Franklin College, Nashville. When about seventeen years of age he engaged in business with his father but in 1870 began farming on 326 acres of land belonging to his father. In 1883 he purchased his brother Harry's grocery store, which he manages in connection with his farming. January 19, 1871. he married Laura Smith, born in 1850. They have seven children: Leopold. Frank, Alice, Harry, Mary N., Carrie and Annie Laura. Mr. Drifoos is a Democratic Prohibitionist and is a Good Templar and a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. His wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

     JOHN EATHERLY, farmer and stock raiser, was born February 3, 1821, in Wilson County, Tenn., and is a son of Warren and Peggie (Robertson) Eatherly, both natives of North Carolina. The father was born in 1780, followed agricultural pursuits, and was married in 1805. He was quite well off in this world's goods, owning over 200 acres of land besides a good many slaves. His death occurred in 1854. The mother was born in 1780 and died in 1866. She was the daughter of Hugh Robertson. The subject of this sketch grew to manhood on the farm and attended the country schools, where he received a practical education. December 23, 1843, he wedded Margaret J. Wilson, a native of Wilson County, Tenn., born February 18, 1824, and the daughter of John R. Wilson. To our subject and wife were born eleven children: Nancy C., John W., Margaret, Ann Eliza, T. Hugh, Martha E., Wilson R., Lem R., Charles H., Andrew and Mary F. Mr. Eatherly is the present owner of nearly 300 acres of good land well stocked. He was elected constable of the Second District from 1848 to 1851, which office he filled in a satisfactory manner. He was also elected magistrate and holds that office at the present time. During the late war he was one of the boys in gray and was appointed quartermaster under Gov. Harris.

    DR. J. C. ESKEW, physician and surgeon, was born in 1840 in Wilson County, and is the son of Dr. Andrew and Matilda (McFarland) Eskew. The father was born March 16, 1811, in North Carolina, and was a physician and surgeon by profession. His father, Benjamin Eskew, was one of the pioneer settlers of Wilson County, and assisted in forming one of the first settlements in the district. Andrew Eskew was married in 1840, and after studying medicine for some time he took a course of lectures in the Transylvania College at Lexington, Ky. About the time of his marriage he entered upon his practice, which he continued until his death, which occurred May 6, 1854. The mother was born August 16. 1818, and died November 27, 1854. Our subject was reared at home, and received his literary education in the county schools and at Mount Vernon Academy. At the age of sixteen he began teaching and met with good success. At the age of nineteen he commenced the study of medicine under John Logue, where he remained for one year, after which he entered the medical department of the University of Nashville, from which institution he graduated in 1865. In 1861 he enlisted in Company H. Forty-fifth Regiment Tennessee Infantry. He was appointed surgeon in his regiment, and afterward commissioned as hospital steward. He was in the battles of Shiloh, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Jonesboro, Atlanta, Murfreesboro, Franklin and others. He returned home in May, 1865, and began practicing medicine. November, 1865, he bought 112 acres in the Twenty-second District, a part of the old homestead, where he has since lived. November, 1867, he wedded Martha (Rogers) Carver, born in Wilson County in 1845, and to them were born five children: Alice A., James O., Andrew O., Viola O. and Lula B. Mrs. Eskew had one child, Jonas, by her first husband. Dr. Eskew is one of the leading surgeons of Wilson County, and bears an unsullied reputation. He and wife are members of the Christian Church.

    J. M. FAKES, senior member of the boot and shoe store of Fakes, Taylor & Co., and senior member of the firm of Fakes & Co., dealers in coal and lumber, was born June 21, 1844, in Wilson County, Tenn., and is a son of W. C. and Elizabeth (Moser) Fakes. The father was of Scotch-Irish descent, born in 1816, a farmer by occupation, and was married in 1834. The mother was Of Scotch-German descent, born in 18l8 in Wilson County, and she and her husband are yet living. Our subject received a common education, and began doing for himself at the age of twelve. He clerked for some time in Lebanon, and at the breaking out of the war joined the Confederate Army in May, 1861, in Company K, Eighteenth Regiment Tennessee Volunteer Infantry. He was captured at Fort Donelson and taken to Camp Butler, Ill. Three months later he made his escape and joined Morgan's command. He afterward joined his own command, and later was one of Hawkins' scouts. He was again captured and taken to Fort Delaware. June 11, 1867, he wedded Rosa A. Gugenheim, born in Nashville in 1848. They have five children: Sally, Mark, Daisy, Gertrude and Clarence. He has been engaged in business in Lebanon for twenty-one years. He is a member of the Masonic, K. of H. and K. of P. fraternities. He and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

    COL. O. G. FINLEY was born in Kentucky in 1787, and came to Tennessee when a young man, locating in Lebanon in 1807. He was a son of Samuel Finley, who was born in the north of Ireland and was of Scotch descent. At what date he came to the United States is not known. He was married to Mary Gains, of Kentucky or Virginia. Col. O. G. Finley wedded Mary Lewis Johnson, of Sumner County, Tenn., in 1811, daughter of Jesse Johnson, of North Carolina, who was a Revolutionary soldier. His wife, Mary Lewis, was also born in North Carolina, and they came to Tennessee, locating in Sumner County at an early period. Col. O. G. Finley's wife died in 1830, leaving the following children: Jesse J., William M., John B. (deceased), Foster G., Sarah A. and Mary (deceased). Col. Finley served in the Creek war, and was a member of the State Senate about 1812 or 1813, when Knoxville was the capital of the State. He was a leather manufacturer, and retired to his farm near Lebanon in 1830. He was a man of strong character, reared in Kentucky when it was a frontier State. He received a limited early education, but owing to his fondness for books and thirst for knowledge he became a finely educated man, and was pronounced by the Rev. Dr. Lindsly, president of the Nashville University, one of the best-read historians in the State. As the epitaph on his tombstone indicates, he was "an honest man." Jesse J., his eldest son, was born in Wilson County, Tenn., November 18, 1812, and received an academic education. He was captain of mounted volunteers in the Seminole war, and afterward studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1838. He located in Arkansas in 1840, and was elected to the State Senate in 1841. He removed to Memphis, Tenn., in 1842, and began practicing law. He was elected mayor of Memphis in 1845, but a year later removed to Florida and was there elected to the State Senate in 1850, and was appointed candidate for presidential elector on the Whig ticket in 1852. He became judge of the Western Judicial Circuit of Florida in 1853, and was elected to the same two terms without opposition. In 1861 he was elected judge of the Confederate States Court, but resigned in 1862 and enlisted as a private in the Confederate Army, and arose to the rank of captain, colonel and brigadier-general. In 1871 he located in Jacksonville, Fla., and in 1874 was elected to the United States Congress, and re-elected in 1876, but declined to be a candidate in 1878. He was again elected in 1880, but is now practicing law in Ocala, Fla. He has four children: Lucius, George, Charles A. and Maggie. William M., second son of O. G. Finley, was born in Lebanon, Tenn., October 11, 1816; received an academic education, and in 1836 volunteered and served as private in the Seminole war. He returned home in 1837 and began studying medicine, and in the following fall entered the Cincinnati College of Medicine, but in 1838 removed to Transylvania University at Lexington, Ky., where the title of M. D. was conferred upon him in 1839. He traveled over the "Lone Star State," but in 1840 located in Arkansas. In 1842 he was elected to the lower house of the State Legislature. In 1843 he removed to Clarksville, Tenn., where he practiced his profession thirty years. In 1871, owing to impaired hearing, he gave up his profession and purchased and located on the old homestead. He was last married to Mrs. V. C. {Conrad) Boyd. They have two children: Virgie Lee and Jessie C. John B., third son of O. G. Finley, was born in Lebanon in 1820. He received a practical education, and early evinced a fondness for military tactics. He possessed a splendid physique, and at the commencement of the late civil war was made captain of a corps of men from Arkansas, where he then resided. Owing to disease he was compelled to resign his command, and, after several painful operations, died at Searcy, Ark., in 1868. He had taken the degree of doctor of medicine, and ranked high in the community where he practiced. Foster G., fourth son of O. G. Finley, was born in Lebanon in 1822, and received a fair English education. He was reared on his father's farm, and immigrated to Arkansas in 1843. He soon after returned to Wilson County, Tenn., where he now resides, and is noted for his generous hospitality and kindness of heart.

    FOSTER G. FINLEY may be mentioned as one of the oldest citizens and farmers of Wilson County, Tenn. He was born March 22, 1822, and is one of eight children of O. G. and Mary L. (Johnson) Finley. (See Dr. Finley's sketch.) Foster was educated in the Campbell Academy at Lebanon, and in 1842 married Mary Buckner, who died the same year. In June, 1845, he wedded Almira Taylor, born October 10, 1826, daughter of Isaac and Margaret Taylor. To Mr. and Mrs. Finley were born this family: Isaac, Mary (wife of Louis Peyton), Maggie (widow of Gus Lampton),William, Charles and Obadiah. Isaac has an orange farm in Florida, and William is in Alabama practicing medicine. Mr. Finley spent five years in Arkansas and some time in Florida, but the greater part of his life has been spent in Tennessee. In 1884 he purchased 50 acres of land in the Ninth District where he yet resides. He has devoted his life to the tilling of the soil, with the exception of three years' residence in Nashville, where he was in the grocery business a short time and then clerked on a steamer on the river. Mrs. Finley is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

    ROBERT V. FOSTER, A. M., D. D., professor of exegetical theology and the Hebrew language in Cumberland University, Lebanon, Tenn., was born in Wilson County, Tenn., August 12, 1845, and is a son of Rufus H. and Sarah (Spain) Foster, who were born in Tennessee in 1814 and 1818, respectively. The grandfather of our subject was John Foster, who came from North Carolina to Tennessee in 1796, and followed the life of an agriculturist. He participated in the war for independence, being a soldier in the army of Washington. Rufus H. Foster was married in 1841 and settled on a portion of the old home place, and eventually became the possessor of 240 acres. His wife died in 1876, and he has lived with his son John and our subject since that time. His children are John S., Benjamin S. (the principal of the Lebanon College for Young Ladies), Mrs. Addie Ellington, Mrs. Charlotte Brantly and Robert V., who was reared on a farm and received his rudimentary education in the neighboring country schools. At the age of twenty-two he entered the sophomore class of Cumberland University at Lebanon, graduating as an A. B. in 1870. The following year he was elected to the chair of mathematics in the Cooper Institute at Daleville, Miss., which position he held four years. In 1875 he returned to Cumberland University and graduated from the theological department with high honors, receiving the degrees of D. D, and A. M. The following year he entered the senior Class of the Union Theological Seminary, New York City, and remained one year, receiving the graduating degree, and while there was proffered the professorship of mathematics in the Waynesburg (Penn.) College. He remained one term and received a call to his first alma mater to become professor of belles lettres and Hebrew, and entered on his duties in the fall of 1877, occupying the chair four years. He was then tendered his present position, which he has since filled with credit to himself and honor to the institution. While teaching at Waynesburg he formed the acquaintance of Miss Belle Braden, to whom he was married November 7, 1882. She is the daughter of D. W. Braden, M. D., and was educated in the Waynesburg College and at Vassar, and has traveled in Europe and visited the leading cities of this country, being a very intelligent and refined lady. Prof. Foster is one of the leading educators of the South, and is a member of the Blue Lodge of the Masonic fraternity. He and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

    JOHN H. FREESE, merchant tailor, of Lebanon, Tenn., was born in Hanover, Germany, September 4, 1850. His parents were Wessel and Angelia (Ahrens) Freese, the father being a forester by occupation employed by the Government. They were born in 1812 and 1822, and died in 1881 and 1853, respectively. Wessel Freese was twice married and was the father of seven children, four by his first wife. John H. Freese was educated in the schools of Hanover, attending until fourteen years of age. when he became an apprentice at the tailor's trade and worked as such two and a half years. In 1867 he came to the United States, locating in Louisville, Ky., where he worked at his trade until 1872, with the exception of one year spent in Chicago. At the latter date he went to Chattanooga, Tenn., remaining two and a half years and has resided in the following places: Huntsville, Ala., fifteen months; Fayettville, fifteen months; Tullahoma. three years; Nashville, two years, and in 1881 came to Lebanon, where he has since resided. June 8, 1876, he married Alice Crawford, of Tullahoma. Tenn., born in 1858. They have two children: Eva and Katie. Mr. Freese is a skillful tailor and has built up a lucrative trade. He belongs to the following fraternities: Masonic, I. O. O. F., K. of P. and K. of H. He and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

Back to WC Documents Index


Transcribed 1999 by William C. Colley Jr.
source: Woodward & Stinson Printing Co. Edition, Reprint 1971
For noncommercial use only.