Descendants of of Jacob
submitted by Virginia Freeman Taylor
Transcribed from Jacob Sherrill, Son of Adam and Elizabeth and Some of Their Descendants by William Andrew Sherrill, published 1983.
The following information was recorded by Wanda Clark, 15 Nov 1981. It was obtained from her personal files. Additional information was taken from Zella Prichard's letter to Zona Prichard. They were first cousins.
220.127.116.11.2. Mary Elizabeth Sherrill, daughter of James Wilson Sherrill and Mary Caroline Hudson, b. 18 June 1851 in Wilson County, TN. Married 17 November 1880, Wilson Co., TN, to Joseph LaFayette Patton. He operated a grist mill, saw mill and was a wheat thrasher for Wilson County. She d. 1 July 1943 in Wilson County. Date of her husband's death unknown at present time, but they are both buried in Fairview Cemetery, Norene, TN. Issue:
1. Julia Elsie Ardelia Patton, b. 18 Aug 1882 in Wilson Co. TN. D. 6 Nov 1971.
2. Measha Ellen Patton, b. 1 Sep 1886. D. 7 Apr 1887.
3. Hassie Wilson Patton, b. 6 Mar 1888. M. James Alexander, 12 Oct 1919.
4. Daniel Elbert Patton, b. 4 Oct 1892. M. Ida May Martin, 8 Apr 1917.
The following information was recorded by Wanda Clark, 13 Nov 1981. It was obtained from her personal files.
18.104.22.168.3. Ephraim Foster Sherrill, son of James Wilson Sherrill and Mary Caroline Hudson, b. 5 September 1853. M. Katherine Porterfield. Ephraim F. Sherrill d. 29 February 1928. Both were buried in family cemetery, Norene, Wilson County, Tennessee. Issue:
1. Alice C. Sherrill, b. 9 Jul 1883. She was born with a crippled foot. Never married. Died by 1964.
2. Florence Sherrill, b. 12 Jul 1886. D. 9 Jul 1887.
3. Lula Ellen Sherrill, b. 5 Jun 1888. D. 24 Nov 1895.
4. Homer Wilson Sherrill, b. 21 Sep 1890. M. Catherine Elizabeth Vantrease.1 Sep 1910, to D. 15 Apr 1963. Buried in Fairview Cemetery, Norene, Wilson Co. TN.
5. Alvis Grady Sherrill, b. 11 Jul 1893. M. Tommie Lois Smith, 18 Apr 1920. D. 14 Oct 1956. Buried in Hearn Hill Cemetery, Wilson Co., TN. Issue:
1. Grady Lucille Sherrill, b. 16 Oct l921. D. 18 Oct1941.
6. Everett Sherrill, b. 1 Oct 1895. D. 21 Jan 1918. Buried in Family Cemetery, Norene, Wilson Co., TN.
7. Minnie Pearl Sherrill, b. 2 Jan 1899. D. 23 Dec 1921. Buried in Family Cemetery, Norene, Wilson County, TN.
Homer Wilson Sherrill (son of Ephraim Foster Sherrill and Katherine Porterfield) and some of his descendants
All of the following information was recorded by Wanda Clark, 13-16 Nov 1981. It was obtained from her personal records.
22.214.171.124.3.4. Homer Wilson Sherrill, son of Ephraim Foster Sherrill and Katherine Porterfield, b. 21 Sep 1890. M. 1 Sep 1910 to Catherine Elizabeth "Betty" Vantrease. D. 15 Apr 1963. Both are buried in Fairview Cemetery, Norene, Tennessee. Issue:
1. Mary Gladys Sherrill, b. 2 Apr 1912. M. Edward Trauber. Issue:
1. Nellie Trauber, b. 21 Feb (?). M. George Anderson, 15 Jul 1948
2. Herbert Wilson Sherrill, b. 30 Oct 1915. M. Louise Moody, 25 Oct 1937.
3. Edith Inez Sherrill, b. 17 Sep 1918. M. Leslie Cleaton Thomas, 2 Oct 1937.
4. Minnie Pearl Sherrill, b. 22 Apr 1922. M. Baxter Arnett, 2 Jul 1938. Issue:
1. James Robert Arnett, b. 2 Jun 1939.
2. Billy Ray Arnett, b. 9 Apr 1941.
5. Dorothy Beatrice Sherrill, b. 2 Apr 1939. M. Roy Douglas Rader, 25 Jun 1949.
6. Mary Nell Sherrill, b. 24 Dec 1930. M. Alvin Kenneth Biggs, 30 Oct 1947.
The following information was recorded by Wanda Clark, 15 -20 Nov 1981. It was obtained from her own records.
126.96.36.199.3.4.2. Herbert Wilson Sherrill, son of Homer Wilson Sherrill and Catherine E. Vantrease, b. 30 October 1915. M. 25 October 1937 to Louise Moody. b. 1 Jun 1919. Issue:
1. Patrick Wayne Sherrill, b. 26 Jul 1949. D. 26 Jul 1949.
2. Timothy Wilson Sherrill, b. 20 Sep 1951.
3. David Layne Sherrill, b. 2 Jul 1953.
188.8.131.52.3.4.3. Edith Inez Sherrill, daughter of Homer Wilson Sherrill Catherine E. Vantrease b.17 September 1918. M. 2 October 1937, Leslie Cleaton Thomas, b. 11 March 1915. Issue:
1. Fay Thomas, b. 8 Apr 1939. M. Jack Ogle, Jr., b.15 Jul 1934.
2. Ray Thomas, b. 23 Dec 1941.
3. Jerry Lyna Thomas, b. 10 Feb 1944. M. James Lampley, 13 Jun 1961.
4. Shelia Thomas, b. 28 Oct 1956.
184.108.40.206.2.4.5. Dorothy Beatrice Sherrill, daughter of Homer Wilson Sherrill and Catherine E. Vantrease, b. 2 April 1929. M. Roy Douglas Rader, 25 June 1949. He was b. 23 February 1923. Issue:
1. Herbert Samuel Rader, b. 28 Jun 1950.
2. Larry Rader, b. 14 Jan 1952.
3. Leann Rader, b. 28 Dec 1953.
4. Claudia Rader, b. 2 Mar 1955.
5. Kathy Lou Rader, b. 1 Apr 1960.
6. Theresa Rader, b. 13 Sep 1962.
220.127.116.11.3.4.6. Mary Nell Sherrill, daughter of Homer Wilson Sherrill and Catherine E. Vantrease, b. 24 December 1930. M. 30 December 1947 to Alvin Kenneth Biggs, b. 6 July 1928. Issue:
1. Shirley Ann Biggs, b. 7 Feb 1949.
2. Wayne Biggs, b. 20 Nov 1950.
3. Gloria Jean Biggs. b.28 Sept 1952.
4. Ricky Dale Biggs, b. 20 Jul 1956.
5. Randall Lee Biggs, b. 20 Jun 1960.
18.104.22.168.4. Hiram Thomas Sherrill, son of James Wilson Sherrill and Mary Caroline Hudson, b. 28 January 1856. M. 23 December 1887 to Eliza Coleman, b. 7 December 1866. They reared their children in the old home place on the hill overlooking Sherrilltown, Tennessee. Hiram T. Sherrill d. 23 January 1939. Mary Caroline Hudson (Sherrill) d. 4 December 1941. Issue:
1. Estella Bernice Sherrill, b. 19 Mar 1889. M. Muncey McMinn 13 Oct 1907. D. 27 Aug 1957. Issue:
1. Mary Linas McMinn, b. 6 Nov 1908. M. Frank Henderson, 20 Apr 1940.
2. Alman Taylor Sherrill, b. 23 Feb 1892 in Wilson Co., TN. M. Addith Wilson Tarpley, 9 Jun 1918 D. 19 Oct 1962. Buried in Memorial Gardens, Lebanon, Wilson Co., TN. Issue:
2. Charlie Lofton Sherrill b. 30 September, 1920. D. in WW II in Belgium, 10 January 1945.
3. Johnnie May Sherrill, b. 1 May 1895 in Wilson Co., TN. M. Herman Harden. Died Feb 1970.
4. Charlie Thomas Sherrill, b. 16 Feb 1898 in Wilson Co., TN. M. Julia Enoch, Dec. 1925 Issue:
1. Doyle Sherrill, b. 1 Jan 1927. M. Beatrice Johnson, 5 Sep 1947. Issue:
1. Barbara Sherrill, b. 18 Jan 1948.
2. Bernice Sherrill, b. l Nov 1931. M. 6 Jun 1956, Linda Sherman. Issue:
1. Kimberly Dawn Sherrill, b. Nov 1958.
22.214.171.124.4.2. Alman Taylor Sherrill b.Wilson County, TN, where his forebear, Jacob Sherrill and Hulda Wilson had migrated from NC. m. Addith Wilson Tarpley. She was b. 4 March 1897 and in the 1970's was living in Watertown, TN, where she and her husband had lived for several years. He served in World War I. After the war he worked as a freight clerk for the Tennessee Central Railroad at Watertown, TN.
In 1926, he and his wife and son moved to Chicago where he was employed by the Consumers Ice Company. After that he was connected with the Southwestern Publishing Company, and traveled over Kentucky, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.
A severe attack of arthritis in 1936 left him crippled and on crutches. Back in Wilson County, he took up accounting. He served 12 years on the Wilson County Selective Service Board, was an active member in the Baptist Church, and a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason and served as commander of the local American Legion Post.
Active in Sherrill Genealogy, it was he, who in the 1950's, expanded the records on Jacob Sherrill, the seventh son, beyond the manuscript left by W. E. Sherrill of Haskell, Texas. He had hoped, at long last, to be the one to publish the vast record. At his death, his wife turned the manuscript over to Serlie Sherrill and Willis Hitcherson with publication in mind, but death claimed them both before the manuscript was finished. It is hoped that, with this writing and further information added to their efforts, the Jacob Sherrill genealogy will finally be published.
126.96.36.199.4.2.2. Charlie Lofton Sherrill, son of Alman Taylor Sherrill and Addith Wilson Tarpley was born 30 September 1920. He served with the 84th Infantry Division in World War II, and was killed in action in the "Battle of the Bulge" in Belgium, 10 January 1945. He was buried there in Neuville Cemetery, Les Tailles, Belgium, until 1949, when his body was brought back for burial in Memorial Gardens, Lebanon, TN.
188.8.131.52.6. Jane Ellen Sherrill, dau. of James Wilson Sherrill and Mary Caroline Hudson, b. 15 March 1862 in Wilson Co., TN. M. Will Ozment. in 1889. Jane Ellen Sherrill Ozment d. in 1940. Both buried in Fairview Cemetery, Norene, TN. Issue:
1. Caris Ozment, b. 15 Nov 1890. M. Clara Gilmore on25 Dec 1916. He d. 9 Jan 1959.
2. Kate Ozment, b. in Wilson Co., TN. M. Rice Jones.
2. Vera Ozment, b. in Wilson Co., TN. M. Delma Bond.
Abel Rufus Sherrill (son of William Thomas Sherrill and Eleanor McEwin Thomas) and some of his descendants
The following information was recorded 17 April 1973 by W.A.S. It was obtained from Jean Smith; G. Bernie Houston; Mrs. Ross B. Johnson, descendant; 1850 & 1870 Census, Oakpoint, Wilson County, Tennessee; Harriett Tant; Wanda Clark.
184.108.40.206. Abel Rufus Sherrill, son of William Thomas Sherrill and Eleanor McEwin Thomas, was born 16-18 January 1832 in Wilson Co. TN. M. 4 February 1853 to Margaret T. Elizabeth Moore, b.16 July 1834. Abel Rufus Sherrill was a farmer. D. 17 November 1888 His widow d. 12 July 1885. Both are buried in the family cemetery on a hill above Sherrilltown, now Dixie, near Norene, Wilson Co., Tennessee. Issue:
1. William Bird Sherrill, b. 8 Jan 1854, in TN. D. 8 Aug 1892. At the time of his death, he was president of Bethel College, McKenzie, TN.
2. Ivey Monroe Sherrill, b. 2 Apr 1856, TN. M. Melvina W. Thompson 23 Oct 1879. D. 5/9 Dec 1917. Buried in family cemetery on hill above Sherrillstown now Dixie near Norene, Wilson Co., TN.
3. Sarophine/Sarah Cornelia "Sarah Neely" Sherrill, b.10 Jan 1858 in TN. M. Lafayette Berry, 26 Sep 1875.Died 27 Apr 1935.
4. Rufus Amzi Sherrill, b. 10 Sep 1861 in TN. M. Margaret Ann Macon.
5. Nancy A. Sherrill, b. 10 (?) 186(?).
6. Parthenia Eudora Sherrill, b. 26 Sep 1863. M. Willie Talley, 24 Dec 1890. D. 24 Nov 1925.
7. Mary Ann Sherrill, b. 10 Feb 1865. M. Monroe Hayes, 29 Nov 1891 Died 11 Jan 1903.
The following information was recorded by Wanda Clark, 20-29 November 1981. It was in her own files:
220.127.116.11.2. Ivey Monroe Sherrill, son of Abel Rufus Sherrill and Margaret E. Moore, b. 2 Apr 1865 in Wilson Co., TN. M. Melvina Thompson, 23 October 1879. D.9 December 1917. Issue:
1. George Hagar Sherrill, b. 26 Aug 1880. M. MargaretRuth Shaw in 1907.
2. Lillie Pearl Sherrill, b. 2 Jul 1882. M. Odell Jones, 6 Oct 1910. Died 19 Dec 1948.
3. Robert McDonald Sherrill, b. 30 Jan 1886. M. Kate Williams 13 Feb 1910. D. 3 Mar 1961.
4. Rufus Marshall Sherrill, b. 4 Oct 1888. Married Rosa Vantrease 20 Feb 1910. D. 6 Oct 1960.
18.104.22.168.2.1. George Hagar Sherrill, son of Ivey Monroe Sherrill and Melvina Thompson, b. 26 August 1880. M., 1907, Margaret Ruth Shaw "of" Rankin County, Mississippi. Issue:
1. Marion Sherrill, b. 3 Mar 1909. M. Herbert E. Garrett, 1928. Issue:
1. Frances Marion Garrett, b. 9 Jun 1929. M. Thomas Weathersby.
2. James Herbert Garrett, b. 19 Mar 1932. M. Roberta Wilson, in 1954.
2. Pearl Sherrill, b. 29 Jun 1910.
3. George Hagar Sherrill, Jr., b. 5 Dec 1912.
4. Florence "Jimmie" Sherrill, b. 21 Apr 1915. M. J. E. Weathersby in 1946.
George Hagar Sherrill made the following statement concerning himself: "I taught the school year of 1899 over on Jug Creek, then the years 1900-1903 at Stoney Point. In 1904, I taught bookkeeping in Nashville and St. Louis, and in 1905 in St. Louis and Little Rock. I then came to Jackson, Mississippi, in late 1905 as business manager of Draughon College, continuing there until 1910. I was principal of the Fannin High School at Fannin, Mississippi for the year 1910-1911, and again 1921-1922. Superintendent of the Agricultural High School, Rankin County, Johns, Mississippi, 1922-1923."
22.214.171.124.2.2. Lillie Pearl Sherrill, dau. of Ivey Monroe Sherrill and Melvina Thompson, b. 2 July 1882. M. 6 October 1910 to Odell Jones. D.19 December 1949. Issue:
1. John Ivey Jones, b. 10 Jan 1913. M. Clara Gourley.
2. Louise Jones, b. 23 Oct 1914. M. Cornelius Sizemore.
3. Erline Jones, b. Jul 1917. M. Jimmy Harris. D. Nov 1946.
4. Martha Ellen Jones, b. 6 Apr 1924. M. Bob Pace.
5. Marshall Jones, b. 6 Apr 1924. Married Frances Arnold.
126.96.36.199.2.3. Robert Donald Sherrill, son of Ivey Monroe Sherrill and Melvina Thompson, b. 30 January 1886. M.13 October 1906 to Kate Williams. D. 3 March 1961 and his wife d. 1 May 1969. Issue:
1. Angie Hellen Sherrill, b. 9 Oct 1908. M. Tom Bishop.
2. Beulah Knight Sherrill, b. 26 Mar 1911. M. Luther Moore.
3. Mary Sherrill, b. 16 Dec 1914. M. H. B. Kersh/Kirsh. Issue:
1. Mary Lou Kersh/Kirsh, b. 12 Feb 1936. M. Glen Barnes.
2. Donald Hugh Kersh/Kirsh, b. 2 Nov 1939.
4. Robert Donald Sherrill, Jr., b. 21 May 1917. M. Madelene D'Ello.
188.8.131.52.2.4. Rufus Marshall Sherrill, son of Ivey Monroe Sherrill and Melvina Thompson, b. 4 October 1888. M. 20 February 1910 to Rosa Vantrease, b. 4 March 1891. D. 6 October 1960. Issue:
1. Roy Marshall Sherrill, b. 1 Jan 1911. M. 29 Nov 1933 to Grace Mae Fergus. Issue:
1. Jimmie Dean Sherrill, b. 28 Feb 1937.
2. Rose Elizabeth Sherrill, b. 2 Oct 1942.
3. Freda Bernice, b. 24 Jun 1944.
2. James Doak Sherrill, b. 28 Jan 1913. M. 29 Apr 1938 to Bernice Griggs Holder. D. 13 Jan 1968. They adopted a child -
1. James Weslie Sherrill
3. Mary Pauline Sherrill, b. 4 Dec 1915. M.30 Jul 1932 to Richard S. Smith. Two known children:
1. Richard Allen Smith, b. 8 Jul 1933. M. 1958 to Jessie Groom.
2. Larry Marshall Smith, b. 9 Dec 1940. M. Mar 1958 to Dorothy Gray.
4. Fred Lafayette Sherrill, b. 29 Oct 1923. M.10 Jan 1947 to Robbie Jeanette Gafford. Issue:
1. Kenneth Ray Sherrill, b. 4 Jul 1951.
2. Anita Faye Sherrill, b. 29 Dec 1954/55.
1. Susanna Sherrill, b. 26 Jun 1962.
Sarophine Cornelia aka "Sarah Neeley" Sherrill, daughter of Abel Rufus Sherrill and Margaret Moore, b. 10 January 1858. M. 26 September 1875 to Lafayette Berry. He d. 23 November 1933 and she d. 27 April 1935.
They lived their entire lives in Wilson Co., TN. They first lived in the Beach Log Community and later in the Shop Springs Community. It is said that she was a quiet, gentle woman, most content and happy in her home ministering to her family and her loved ones. Issue:
1. Mary Helen Berry, b. 20 Oct 1876. D. 26 Feb 1908.
2. Lillard Hershel Berry, b. 25 Nov 1878. M. 27 Dec 1903 to Annie Maud Smith.
3. Virginia Helen Berry, b. 25 Dec 1880.
The following information was recorded by W.A.S., 9 May 1973. It was obtained from Mrs. Ross B. Johnson and Wanda Clark Records.
184.108.40.206.4. Rufus Amzi Sherrill, son of Abel Rufus Sherrill and Margaret Elizabeth Moore, b. 11 September 1861 in TN. M. 8 December 1896 to Margaret Ann Macon, b. 29 November 1870. She d. 27 June 1917. She was buried Hearn Hill, Watertown, Tennessee. Rufus Amzi Sherrill d. 4 December 1917. Issue:
1. Lyda Macon Sherrill, b. 15 Sep 1897. After she finished school, she was employed by the Life & Casualty Insurance Co. Then, by E. I. DuPont & Co. for 34 years and by the Times Office, Nashville, TN. She d. after 1964.
2. William Spencer Sherrill, b. 17 Dec 1905. M. Christine Marie Padgett. He d. 10 Nov 1944, of coronary occlusion at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Tucson, AZ. He was buried in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. During his lifetime, he worked for an abstract and guaranty company in Sebring, FL, then for Southern Bell Telephone in Nashville. He was inducted into the armed services 13 Nov 1942 and assigned to the Air Corps as a radio operator and repairman. He later transferred to ground forces, prior to his death.
The following information was recorded by Wanda Clark, 6 Dec 1981. It was obtained from her records.
220.127.116.11.6. Parthena Eudora "Dora" Sherrill, daughter of Abel Rufus Sherrill and Margaret E. Moore, b. 26 Sep 1863. M. Willie Talley, 24 December 1890. D. 24 Nov 1925. Date of his death is unknown at this time, Issue:
1. Dessie Lucile Talley, b. 13 Apr 1892.
2. Cecil Earl Talley, b. 23 Jun 1893. M. Minnie Vaught.
3. Fred Talley.
18.104.22.168.7. Mary Ann Sherrill, daughter of Abel Rufus Sherrill and Margaret Elizabeth Moore, b. 10 February 1865. M. 29 November 1893 to Monroe Hayes. D. 11 January 1903. Date of his death is unknown at this time. Issue:
1. Herman Hayes, b. 9 Jul 1895. D. 30 Jun 1901.
2. Clyde Hayes, b. 25 Sep 1900. D. 21 Jun 1901.
3. Wayne Hayes, b. 1 Jan 1903. M. Georgia Elizabeth Lewis, 15 Apr 1932. Wayne Hayes lived in Sebring, FL, for many years. He returned to TN in 1926. He worked for F. W. Woolworth before going to work at the DuPont plant, at Old Hickory, TN, in Jan. 1928, as a textile area foreman, chemical controller inspector, and a machinist. He retired on 1 Feb 1961.
Malinda Jane Sherrill (daughter of William Thomas Sherrill and Eleanor McEwin) and some of their descendants
The following information was recorded by Wanda Clark on 7 December 1981. She indicated that it was the anniversary of The Day of Infamy. The information was from her records.
22.214.171.124. Malinda Jane Sherrill, dau. of William Thomas Sherrill and Eleanor McEwin (also found in records, McGuin), was born 20 Feb 1834, in Wilson Co., TN. M.23 December 1859 to Edward Patton. Issue:
1. William Samuel Patton, b. 19 Feb 1861.
2. Louise Ellen Patton, b. 16 Feb 1862.
3. Martha Jane Patton, b. 1 Nov 1864. D. of diphtheria, 7 Jun 1865.
4. Caroline/Cornelia Patton, b. 7 May 1869. D. of diphtheria, 7 Aug 1878.
5. James Wilson Patton, b. 1 May 1871. D. of diphtheria, 20 Aug 1878.
6. Effie Virginia Patton, b. 21 Feb 1874. D. of diphtheria, 19 Aug 1878.
The following information was recorded by Mrs. Ross B. Johnson, 240 Quay Street, Lakewood, Colorado. It was obtained from her records; and from Wanda Clark, and Malinda Haile, who lived at that time, 305 W. Worth Street, Grapevine, TX 76051. Mrs. Haile's last known address was All Saints Bishop Davies Center, 2712 Hurstview Drive, Hurst, TX. Addition information was furnished by Virgil E. Prichard, particularly a correction to name of first child added from research by Virgil Prichard (Marriage License), and the information on the parents of Mary Jane Moore.
William Thomas Sherrill, Jr. (son of William Thomas Sherrill and Eleanor M. Thomas) and some of his descendants
126.96.36.199A. William Thomas Sherrill, Jr., son of William Thomas Sherrill and Eleanor M. Thomas, b. 29 June 1837 in Wilson Co., TN. M. (1) Mary Jane Moore, b. 1837, dau. of Rev. David Bird/Byrd Moore (b. 1807) and Mary Elizabeth Donnell, (b. 1807) in Wilson Co., TN. (See 188.8.131.52.4.). She was the sister of Margaret Moore, widow of Abel R. Sherrill. After the death of Mary Jane Moore, 5 Sep 1874, William Thomas Sherrill, Jr., was M. (2), to Mattie Pritchett and (3) to Molly Coleman. He d. 27 May 1887 in Wilson Co., TN. Mrs. Haile had in her possession a child's book, The Animals of Africa that had belonged to the first wife, Mary Jane Moore, grandmother of Mrs. Haile. Three children were born to William Thomas Sherrill, Jr. and Mary Jane Moore.
1. Eleanor Elizabeth Sherrill, b. 18 Oct 1859. M. James Brantley Prichard, Wilson Co., TN, 4 Sep 1873. They were killed by lightning on 23 Jul 1895.
2. Homer McMurrey Sherrill, b. 8 Aug 1874, in Wilson Co., TN.
3. William David McMurrey Sherrill, b. 25 Sep 1860. M. (1), Julia Agnes Patton. M. (2) Maude Belle Nettles.
The following information was recorded by Wanda Clark, 8 Dec 1981. Original information was obtained from Wanda Clark Records; Information submitted by William S. Bevers of Gainesville, TX; Zona Mae Prichard, a surviving daughter at the time the book was compiled; Virgil Prichard, 5957 North Village Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85704, and Virginia Lee Taylor, 908 Harwood Road, Bedford, TX 76021.
184.108.40.206A.1. Eleanor Elizabeth Sherrill, dau. of William Thomas Sherrill, Jr. and his first wife, Mary Jane Moore, b. 18 October 1957, near Norene, Wilson Co., TN. She was m. 4 September 1873 to James Brantley Prichard Jr., son of James B. Prichard and Martha Ann Arnold, b. 31 October 1852, near Norene, Wilson Co., TN. They both d. 23 July 1895 when they were struck by lightning near Gainesville, Cooke Co., TX. Eleven of their twelve children were living at the time of the parents' death. The youngest five were sent to Buckner Home, a Baptist orphanage near Dallas, TX. Three of these children died while in the home.
1. Hatton Nathaniel Prichard, b. 29 Sep, 1874 in Henderson Cross Roads, Wilson Co., TN. M. (1), 27 Oct 1895 to Dora Moss. M. (2) 9 Dec 1909, to Eulalie Goff. D. 30 Jan 1947 in Sherman/Denison area, Texas.
2. Charles Alanso Prichard, b. 7 Jul 1876, Henderson Crossroads, Wilson Co., TN. Died 4 Jan 1878.
3. Mary Lillian "Lily" Prichard, b. 4 Jul 1878, (Her grave marker reads 1879.) in Henderson Crossroads, Wilson Co., TN. M. 19 Nov 1896, Thomas Clark Balthrop 19 Nov 1896. She d. ca 1930. He d. Jul 1944. Both buried Lake View Cemetery, Marietta, Love Co., OK.
4. Martha Ann "Mattie" Prichard, b. 28 Feb 1880, at Henderson Crossroads, Wilson Co., TN. Married 27 Oct 1895 to Warren C. Smithee. Died in Lubbock, TX, 13 Oct 1982 at age of 102 years. 8 mo. Buried Hale Center Cemetery, Hale Center, TX.
5. Ella Ina Prichard, b. 13 Dec 1881 at Henderson Crossroads, Wilson Co., TN. M. (1), John Marvin Drake, 9 Aug 1896. Following his death, she m. (2) W. J. Sanders. She d.18 Aug 1974 in Dallas, TX. Was buried in Dallas, TX.
6. William Alexander "Eck" Prichard, b. 16 June 1883, Henderson Crossroads, Wilson Co., TN. Married 21 Aug 1896 in Marietta, OK, to Arrena Elizabeth Thompson. Died 4 Feb 1969. Both are buried Lake View Cemetery, Marietta, OK.
7. James Ellis Prichard, b. 5 Mar 1885, Henderson Crossroads, Wilson Co., TN. Married 7 Jun 1908 to Olive Mae Lowry. Died 6 Feb 1936, in McAllen, TX.
8. Parthena "Thena" Prichard, b. 24 Dec 1886. Married 23 May 1910 to James Davis Freeman. He d. l Jul 1943 and she d. 8 Nov 1968. Both are buried in Parkdale Cemetery, Arlington, TX.
9. Carrie Frances Prichard, b. 29 Dec 1888 in McLennan Co.,TX. D. in 1897 at Buckner Orphanage near Dallas, TX.
10. Lora Agnes Prichard, b. 17 Feb 1890 near Dyer in Gibson Co., TN. Died 1900 at Buckner Orphanage near Dallas, TX.
11. Zona Mae Prichard, b. 20 Feb 1892 near Dyer in Gibson Co., TN. Died 6 Oct 1982, age 90 years. 7+ mo., in Fort Worth, TX. Buried Parkdale Cemetery, Arlington, TX.
12. Vivian Pearle Prichard, b. 4 May 1894, near Greenwood, TX. Died Feb 1904 at Buckner Orphanage near Dallas, TX.
220.127.116.11A.1. Eleanor Elizabeth Sherrill, dau. of William Thomas Sherrill, Jr. and his first wife, Mary Jane Moore, was born near Norene, Wilson County, Tennessee. She was married to James Brantley Prichard on 4 September 1873. They lived at a house located near the intersection of Henderson Road and Cedar Forest Road northwest of the little settlement of Norene which was formerly called Sherrillstown.
The family followed William David McMurrey Sherrill to McLennan County, Texas, Carrie Frances was born there and was frequently called "Texas pony."
According to the story told by the older children, the family experienced a crop failure due to flooding on the Brazos River, so the family returned to West Tennessee, settling near Dyer in Gibson County where many of the Prichard family lived.
Hard times followed in West Tennessee where farming was not too successful. Parthena Prichard Freeman remembered that to obtain money to support his growing family, her father worked on the levees being constructed along the banks of the Mississippi River. Then they heard good news from Starns Moser, a mutual cousin of both Eleanor Elizabeth and James Brantley. There was good farm land, in Wise County in North Texas, Grandpa Prichard took his family there to a location between Slidell and Greenwood, east of Decatur in that county. According to Martha Ann "Mattie" Prichard Smithee, they moved to Texas when she was thirteen years old. She was born 28 February 1880, so they would have moved to Texas sometime in 1893. They were there for about two years when a tragic event changed the lives of the family forever. Following is the actual account from the Greenwood newspaper:
Killed by Lightning.
J.B. Prichard, who lived six miles northeast of Greenwood, started last Tuesday to go to Gainesville, in company with his wife and baby, little expecting that he would never see home and children any more. But, such was to be. So when they reached a point fourteen miles this side of Gainesville, there came a sudden and fatal flash of lightning followed by a deafning (sic) peal of thunder as if to warn the people of danger and when the electric flash was gone it was found that the souls of Mr. and Mrs. Prichard had taken their final leave and been borne away on lightning wings to where the unfriendly electric spark cannot go, leaving the innocent little baby on the lap of its dead mother unharmed. Their team was also killed. It would seem that God's will alone was the non-conductor that lay between mother and child that prevented the transmission of the electricity to the little angel that lay in her lap. Why God suddenly summoned these people home none but Him can tell.
This event took place on July 23, 1895. The pair were taking peaches and chickens to sell in the market in Gainesville. Actually, the newspaper account is inaccurate in some instances. The baby was apparently asleep behind Eleanor Elizabeth because the first people on the scene discovered that Vivian was lying on a blanket and was playing with her mother's hair which had come undone from the combs that held it. One horse was dead and the other injured so badly that it had to be destroyed.
The neighbors did what they could for both the dead and the living. One woman volunteered to make a new dress as a burial shroud. Parthena remembered it as having tiny blue flowers on a white background and it had lace and little tucks. A collection was taken up to buy Grandpa Prichard a suit, and Starns Moser did what he could to purchase the burial lots and pay other expenses.
William Alexander Prichard later had a shaft-like tombstone placed between their graves with their names and birth and death dates. A very timely verse reads:
Oh. weep not for the loved ones fled, To realms more pure, a home more fair, And call not the departed, dead. They laugh, they love, they want us there.
For a time, the older children tried to keep the family together on the farm. It soon became apparent that this would not work, so plans were made to send the little girls to Buckner Orphans' home, a Baptist Orphanage near Dallas, Texas. Joe Hopkins discovered an account of this in either the Decatur News or the Wise County Messenger dated 31 January 1896. As follows: "The five youngest of the Prichard children are to leave today for the Orphans' Home at Dallas. It will be remembered that their parents were killed by lightning while going to Gainesville last summer."
Copyright 1999, by Virginia Freeman Taylor
All Rights Reserved