These have floated around the internet -
do they work? We all get them, maybe even print them off - but if you
are like me, I forget where they are when actually need these tips. So
I decided to put them all together, in one place - MaryCarol
USING 20 MULE TEAM
BORAX TO KILL MOLD
Bleach only kills mold at the surface. the smell is nasty & it can
make you very sick or kill you. we called a mold specialist after our
neighborhood was flooded. after the water receded, it got real hot out.
between the heat & the wetness, the mold grew fast. It was gross.
the mold specialist told us to mix 1 cup of 21 mule team laundry
detergent to every 1 gallon of very hot water. MIX WELL. wipe off the
surface mold the best you can. then you can spray, paint, roll,or throw
it on wherever there is mold. let it dry. it will leave a white colored
residue. after it's dry you can wipe residue away or vacuum up. it will
soak into any porous surface & it kills the mold at it's source.
doesn't harm plants or pets. we sprayed it on the entire basement &
subfloor to the main floor. it worked great for us and the other
neighbors that used it.. no more mold & NO respiratory issues. it
smells good too. If you have no utilities, like after a flood, heat the
water on a grill in a large heavy pan. WORTH THE EFFORT!!
KILL ROACHES WITH
Better than using dangerous bug sprays,
you can get powdered borax "Roach Puff" at Lowe's in plastic container
made for easily "puffing" the borax along baseboards, under sinks,
inside kitchen cabinets, even to "puff" behind walls during new
construction - will not harm pets or you. The roaches walk through the
powdered borax, take it back to their nests, and everyone dies. I have
known people who live in roach country - like Florida - who have the
huge 3 or 4 inch outside roaches. They mix the roach powder with
a little milk, put in something like a mayo jar lid, set it outside at
night - the roaches eat and die. Hate ants coming inside your home? It
takes a little while, but if you put down some Roach Puff where they
travel, they too will get it on them and take back to colony - and they
all die - MaryCarol
DISTILLED VINEGAR TO KILL MOLD SPORES
So, how can you get rid of mold in a safer, more inexpensive way? Reach
for a bottle of vinegar. White distilled vinegar can kill 82 percent of
mold, and is effective in removing any mold-associated odors.
Mix three parts vinegar with two parts water. Pour into a spray bottle,
shake well and spray on the unsuspecting mold. You'll be amazed by the
Bounce This Along
My mail carrier told me that the US Postal service sent out a message
to all letter carriers to put a sheet of Bounce in their uniform
pockets to keep yellow-jackets away. Use them all the time when playing
baseball and soccer. I use it when I
am working outside. It really works. The insects just veer around you.
All this time you've just been putting Bounce in the dryer!
1. It will chase ants away when you lay a sheet near them. It
also repels mice.
2. Spread sheets around foundation areas, or in trailers, or cars
that are sitting and it keeps mice from entering your vehicle.
3. It takes the odor out of books and photo albums that don't get
opened too often.
4. It repels mosquitoes. Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt
loop when outdoors during mos quito season.
5. Eliminate static electricity from your television (or
6. Since Bounce is designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe
your television screen with a used sheet of Bounce to keep dust from
7. Dissolve soap scum from shower doors. Clean with a sheet of
8. To freshen the air in your home - Place an individual sheet of
Bounce in a drawer or hang in the closet.
9. Put Bounce sheet in vacuum cleaner.
10. Prevent thread from tangling. Run a threaded needle through a sheet
of Bounce before beginning to sew.
11 Prevent musty suitcases. Place an individual sheet of Bounce
inside empty luggage before storing.
12. To freshen the air in your car - Place a sheet of Bounce under the
13. Clean baked-on foods from a cooking pan. Put a sheet in a pan, fill
with water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean. The anti-static agent
apparently weakens the bond between t he food and the pan.
14. Eliminate odors in wastebaskets . Place a sheet of Bounce at the
bottom of the wastebasket.
15. Collect cat hair. Rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce will
magnetically attract all the lose hairs.
16. Eliminate static electricity from Venetian blinds. Wipe the blinds
with a sheet of Bounce to prevent dust from resettling.
17. Wipe up sawdust from drilling or sand papering. A used sheet
of Bounce will collect sawdust like a tack cloth.
18. Eliminate odors in dirty laundry. Place an individual sheet of
Bounce at the bottom of a laundry bag or hamper.
19. Deodorize shoes or sneakers. Place a sheet of Bounce in your shoes
or sneakers overnight
20. Golfers put a Bounce sheet in their back pocket to keep the bees
21. Put a Bounce sheet in your sleeping bag and tent before folding and
storing them. It wi ll keep them smelling fresh.
22. Wet a Bounce sheet, hose down your car, and wipe lovebugs off
easily with the wet Bounce.
23. Use to dust furniture - dust clings to bounce, doesn’t go into the
air and you can throw it away - makes room smell good.
Peroxide, who knew? *
(Safer and Healthier than Bleach)
This was written by Becky Ransey of Indiana (a doctor's wife),
and I want to share it with you. She was over recently for coffee and
smelled the bleach I was using to clean my toilet and countertops. This
is what she told me...
I would like to tell you of the benefits of that plain little
ole bottle of 3% peroxide you can get for under $1.00 at any drug
store. What does bleach cost?
My husband has been in the medical field for over 36 years, and
most doctors don't tell you about peroxide. Have you ever smelled
bleach in a doctor's office? NO!!! Why? Because it smells, and it is
not healthy! Ask the nurses who work in the doctor's offices, and ask
them if they use bleach at home. They are wiser and know better!
Did you also know bleach was invented in the late 40's? It's chlorine,
Folks! And it was used to kill our troops. Peroxide was invented during
WWI in the 20's. It was used to save and help cleanse the needs of our
troops and hospitals. Please think about this.
1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the
bottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out.
(I do it when I bathe.) No more canker sores, and your teeth will be
whiter without expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash.
2. Let your toothbrushes soak in a cup of peroxide to keep them
free of germs.
3. Clean your counters and table tops with peroxide to kill germs and
leave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dish-rag when you
or spray it on the counters.
4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour peroxide on it to
kill salmonella and other bacteria.
5. I had fungus on my feet for years until I sprayed a 50/50
mixture of peroxide and water on them (especially the toes) every night
and let dry.
6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five to ten
minutes several times a day. My husband has seen gangrene that would
not heal with any medicine but was healed by soaking in peroxide.
7. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water
and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic
system like bleach or most other disinfectants will.
8. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your 50/50
mixture whenever you have a cold, plugged sinus. It will bubble and
help to kill the bacteria. Hold for a few minutes, and then blow your
nose into a tissue.
9 If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist
right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and hold it for
ten minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.
10. And of course, if you like a natural look to your hair, spray the
50/50 solution on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through.
You will not have the peroxide-burnt blonde hair like the hair
dye packages but more natural highlights if your hair is a light brown,
reddish, or dirty blonde. It also lightens gradually, so it's not a
11. Put half a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help rid boils,
fungus, or other skin infections.
12. You can also add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach to a
load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on
clothing, pour it directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute,
then rub it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.
13. I use peroxide to clean my mirrors. There is no smearing, which is
why I love it so much for this.
Bee Stings & a PENNY
It might be wise to carry a penny in your pocket while working in the
yard......... BEE STINGS !
A couple of weeks ago, I was stung by both a bee and hornet while
working in the garden. My arm swelled up, so I went to the
doctor. The clinic gave me cream and an antihistamine. The next day the
swelling was getting progressively worse, so I went to my regular
doctor. The arm was Infected and needed an antibiotic.The doctor told
me - ' The next time you get stung, put a penny on the bite for 15
That night, my niece was stung by two bees. I looked at the bite and it
had already started to swell. So, I taped a penny to her arm for 15
minutes. The next morning, there was no sign of a bite. We
decided that she just wasn't allergic to the sting.
Soon, I was gardening outside. I got stung again, twice by a hornet on
my left hand. I thought, here I go again to the doctor for another
antibiotic. I promptly got my money out and taped two pennies to my
bites, then sat and sulked for 15 minutes. The penny took the string
out of the bite immediately.
In the meantime the hornets were attacking, and my friend was stung on
Again the penny. The next morning I could only see the spot where the
hornet had stung me. No redness, no swelling. My friend's sting
was the same; couldn't even tell where she had been stung. She
got stung again a few days later upon her back---cutting the grass!
And the penny worked once again.
Wanted to share this marvelous information in case you experience the
same problem. We need to keep a stock of pennies on hand .
The doctor said that the copper in the penny counteracts the bite.
5 Things You Never
Knew Your Cell Phone Could Do
For all the folks with cell phones. (This should be printed and kept in
your car, purse, and wallet. Good information to have with you.)
There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies.
Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for
survival. Check out the things that you can do with it:
The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find Yourself
out of the coverage area of your mobile network and there is an
Emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to
Establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly, this number
112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.
Have you locked your keys in the car?
Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy
someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys In the
car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell
phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot From your
car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button,
holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock.
Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no
object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach
someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the
doors (or the trunk).
Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our
car over a cell phone!'
Hidden Battery Power
Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys
*3370#. Your cell phone will restart with this reserve and the
instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get
charged when you charge your cell phone next time.
How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?
To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following Digits
on your phone: *#06#. A 15-digit code will appear on the screen. This
number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere
If your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service provider and give
them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if
the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You
probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever
stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would
be no point in people stealing mobile phones.
Free Directory Service for Cells
Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more for 411
information calls when they don't have to. Most of us do not carry a
telephone directory in our vehicle, which makes this situation even
more of a problem. When you need to use the 411 information option,
simply dial: (800)FREE411, or (800)
without incurring any charge at all. Program this into
your cell phone now.
RECOGNIZING A STROKE
The "3" steps,
STR . Read and Learn!
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify.
Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim
may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the
symptoms of a stroke .
Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three
S * Ask the individual to SMILE.
T * Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)
(i.e. It is sunny out today)
R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.
If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 911
immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.
NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out
his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the
other , that is also an indication of a stroke.
A WARM DRINK AFTER A MEAL
The Chinese and Japanese drink hot tea with their meals, not cold
water, maybe it is time we adopt their drinking habit while eating.
For those who like to drink cold water, this is applicable to
you. It is nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal. However, the
cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed. It
will slow down the digestion. Once this 'sludge' reacts with the acid,
it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the
solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into
fats and lead to cancer & arthritis . It is best to drink hot
soup or warm water after a meal.
USES FOR COFFEE
FILTERS - WHO KNEW?
1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in
the microwave -Coffee filters make excellent covers.
2. Clean windows and mirrors. Coffee filters are lint-free so
they'll leave windows sparkling.
3. Protect China - Separate your good dishes by putting
a coffee filter between each dish.
4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork
when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a
5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in
the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.
6. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter.
7. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a
sieve lined with a coffee filter.......This one doesn't
work, I had a BIG mess, best to use a small hole metal strainer.
8. Weigh chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a
coffee filter on a kitchen scale.
9. Hold tacos. Coffee filters make convenient wrappers for
10. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a
plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through
the drainage holes.
11. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke one or two holes
as needed in a coffee filter.
12. Do you think we used expensive strips to wax eyebrows?
Use strips of coffee filters.
13. Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries,
chicken fingers, etc on them. Soaks out all the grease.
14. Keep in the bathroom. They make great "razor nick
15. As a sewing backing. Use a filter as an easy-to-tear backing for
embroidering or appliqueing soft fabrics.
16. Put baking soda into a coffee filter and insert into shoes or a
closet to absorb or prevent odors.
17. Use them to strain soup stock and to tie fresh herbs in to put in
soups and stews.
18. Use a coffee filter to prevent spilling when you add fluids to your
19. Use them as a spoon rest while cooking and clean up small counter
20. Can use to hold dry ingredients when baking or when cutting a piece
of fruit or veggies.. Saves on having extra bowls to wash.
21. Use them to wrap Christmas ornaments for storage.
22. Use them to remove fingernail polish when out of cotton balls.
23. Use them to sprout seeds.. Simply dampen the coffee filter, place
seeds inside, fold it and place it into a plastic baggie until they
24. Use coffee filters as blotting paper for pressed flowers. Place the
flowers between two coffee filters and put the coffee filters in phone
25. Use as a disposable "snack bowl" for popcorn, chips, etc.
OH YEAH, THEY ARE GREAT TO USE IN YOUR COFFEE MAKERS
At a deck party awhile back, and the
bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the
lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared.
The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my
seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well.. It
worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the
children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the
summer, I don't leave home without it.......Pass it on.
OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my
It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle for
$1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it
is not as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't
last 30 minutes. So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days.
Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray
around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the
KILLING FIRE ANTS
WITH SODA WATER
An environmentally friendly cure for fire ants has been announced by
Walter Reeves on his Georgia Gardener radio program. Testimonials that
it REALLY WORKS are coming in.
Simply pour two cups of CLUB SODA (carbonated water) directly in the
center of a fire ant mound. The carbon dioxide in the water is heavier
than air and displaces the oxygen which suffocates the queen and the
other ants. The whole colony will be dead within about two days.
Besides eliminating the ants, club soda leaves no poisonous residue,
does not contaminate the ground water, and does not indiscriminately
kill other insects. It is not harmful to your pets, soaks into the
ground. Each mound must be treated individually and a one liter bottle
of club soda will kill 2 to 3 mounds.
41 TIPS - FIX IT
WITH COMMON HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS
FACTS TO KNOW - from Patty
1. Budweiser beer conditions the hair
2. Pam cooking spray will dry finger nail polish
3. Cool Whip will condition your hair in 15 minutes
4. Mayonnaise will KILL LICE, it will also condition your hair
5. Elmer’s Glue- paint on your face, allow to dry, peel off and see the
dead skin and blackheads, if any.
6. Shiny Hair = used brewed lipton tea
7. Minor burn - Colgate or Crest toothpaste
8. Burn your tongue? - put sugar on it
9. Sunburn - empty a large jar of Nestea into your bath water
10. Arthritis? - WD-40 - Spray and rub in, kills insect stings too.
11. Bee stings - meat tenderizer - also for jellyfish stings
12. Chigger bite - use Preparation H - also for puffy eyes
13. Paper cut - crazy glue or chap stick (glue is used at most
hospitals instead of sutures)
14. Stinky feet - Jello!
15. Athletes feet - Cornstarch
16. Fungus on toenails or fingernails - Vicks Vapor Rub
17. Use Kook Aid to clean dishwasher pipes - just put in the detergent
section and run a cycle - it will also clean a toilet (Wow, and we
drink this stuff)
18. Kool Aid can be used as a dye in paint also Kook Aid in Dannon
plain yogurt as a finger paint, your kids will love it and it won’t
hurt them if they eat it.
19. Peanut butter -will get scratches off CD’s - wipe off with a coffee
20. Sticking bicycle chain - Pan no-stick cooking spray
21 Pam will also remove paint, and grease from your hands - keep a can
in your garage for your hubby.
22. Peanut butter will remove ink from the face of a doll
23. When the doll clothes are hard to put on, sprinkle with corn starch
and watch them slide on.
24. Heavy dandruff - pour on the vinegar.
25. Body paint - Crisco mixed with food coloring. Heat the Crisco in
microwave, pour into an empty film container (or something small) and
mix with food coloring of your choice.
26. Tie Dye T-shirt - mix solution of kook aid in a container - tie
rubber band around sections of the T-shirt and soak.
27. Preserving old newspaper clippings - large bottle of club soda and
a cup of milk of magnesia - soak for 20 minutes and let dry - will last
for many years!
28. A slinky will hold toast and CD’s
29. To keep goggles and glasses from fogging, coat with Colgate
30. Wine stains - poor on the Morton’s Salt and watch it absorb into
31. To remove wax -take a paper towel and iron it over the wax
stain, it will absorb into the towel.
32. Remove labels off glassware, etc - rub with peanut butter.
33. Baked on Food - fill container with water, get a Bounce paper
softener and the static from the Bounce towel will cause the baked on
food to adhere to it. Soak overnight. Also - you can use 2 Efferdent
tablets, soak overnight.
34. Crayon on the wall - Colgate toothpaste and brush it.
35 Dirty Grout? - use Listerine on it
36. Stains on clothes? - Use Colgate toothpaste
37. Grass Stains? - use Karo Syrup
38. Grease Stains? - use Coca Cola - it will also remove stains from
driveway overnight. It will take corrosion from car battery.
39. Fleas in your carpet? - 20 Mule Team Borax - sprinkle and let stand
40. To keep Flowers Fresh longer - add a little Clorox or 2 Aspirin, or
use 7-UP instead of water.
41. How Fresh is your bread? -
When you go to buy bread, have you ever wondered which is the
freshest? Bread is delivered 5 days a week to stores - Each day has a different colored twist tie.
MONDAY = BLUE
TUES = GREEN
THURS = RED
FRI = WHITE
SAT = YELLOW
many of these did YOU know about?
1. Use Empty toilet paper roll to store appliance cords. It keeps
them Neat and you can write on the roll what appliance it belongs to.
2. For icy door steps in freezing temperatures: get warm water
and put Dawn dish washing liquid in it. Pour it all over the steps.
They won't Refreeze.
3. To remove old wax from a glass candle holder, put it in the
freezer for a few hours. Then take the candle holder out and turn it
upside down. The Wax will fall out.
4. Crayon marks on walls? This worked wonderfully! A damp rag,
dipped In baking soda. Comes off with little effort
5. Permanent marker on appliances/counter tops (like store receipt
BLUE!) rubbing alcohol on paper towel.
6. Whenever I purchase a box of S.O.S Pads, I immediately take a
pair of Scissors and cut each pad into halves. After years of having to
throw Away rusted and unused and smelly pads, I finally decided that
this would Be much more economical. Now a box of S.O.S pads last me
indefinitely! In fact, I have noticed that the scissors get
'sharpened'' this way!
7. Blood stains on Clothes? Not to worry! Just pour a little
hydrogen peroxide on a cloth and proceed to wipe off every drop of
blood. Works every time!
8. Use vertical strokes when washing windows outside and
horizontal For inside windows. This way you can tell which side has the
streaks. Straight vinegar will get outside windows really clean. Don't
wash windows On a sunny day. They will dry too quickly and will
9. Spray a bit of perfume on the light bulb in any room to create
a lovely light scent in each room when the light is turned on.
10. Place fabric softener sheets in dresser drawers and your clothes
will smell freshly washed for weeks to come. You can also do this with
towels and linen.
11. Candles will last a lot longer if placed in the freezer for at
least 3 hours prior to burning.
12. To clean artificial flowers, pour some salt into a paper bag and
add the flowers. Shake vigorously as the salt will absorb all the dust
and dirt and leave your artificial flowers looking like new! Works like
13. To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet, simply add a drop
or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring
to a boil on stove top.
14. Spray your TUPPERWARE with
nonstick cooking spray
before pouring In tomato based sauces
and there won't be any stains.
15. Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and
it will keep for weeks.
16. When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring
out the corn's' natural sweetness.
17. Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half, and rub it on your
forehead. The throbbing will go away.
18. Don't throw out all that leftover wine: Freeze into ice cubes for
future use in casseroles and sauces ......... left over
wine? What's that?
19. To get rid of itch from mosquito bites, try applying soap on the
area and you will experience instant relief.
20. Ants, ants, ants everywhere ... Well, they are said to never cross
a chalk line. So, get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor or
wherever ants tend to march. See for yourself.
21. Use air-freshener to clean mirrors. It does a good job and better
still, leaves a lovely smell to the shine.
22. When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape before resorting
to tweezers or a needle. Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter,
and then pull it off. Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly and
23. A sealed envelope - Put in the freezer for a few hours, then
slide a Knife under the flap. The envelope can then be resealed.
Now look what you can do with
24. Clean a toilet. Drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets, wait twenty
minutes,! Brush and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action
clean vitreous China .
25. Clean a vase. To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or
cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets.
26. Polish Jewelry. Drop two Alka Seltzer tablets into a glass of water
and immerse the jewelry for two minutes.
27. Clean a thermos bottle. Fill the bottle with water, drop in four
Alka Seltzer tablets, and let soak for an hour (or longer, if
28. Unclog a drain. Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka Seltzer
tablets down the drain followed by a cup of White Vinegar. Wait a
few minutes, and then run the hot water.