Weakley County, Tennessee Historical & Genealogical Society was
organized in June of
1978 with fourteen charter members. Charter members were
Reynolds, Pansy Baker, Col. James Corbitt, Joe Richardson, Shirley
Joan Butler, Martha Hutchens, Justine Erwin, June Simmons, June
Zula Capps, Robbie Elliott, Lucile Sharrock, and Charles Tyner.
of today the society has had almost 900 members present and past being
scattered all across the United States and in some foreign
The mission of the Weakley County
Historical & Genealogical Society is to bring together those
persons interested in the history of Weakley County for the purpose of
collecting, preserving, and the sharing of all things relating to the
various aspects of the history of the county. This information is
made available to the public through publications done by the Society
and individual members; publication in the quarterly member newsletter
published since April, 1982, the Forget Me Not; submission to the
County Website; and the files located in our special
collections room at Weldon Public Library, 100 Main Street, 3rd floor,
Regular Society meetings are the 3rd
night of each month, 7:00 p.m., 3rd floor, Weldon Public Library.
persons are invited to attend. WCH&GS annual dues are $10.00,
may be submitted to the Society at P. O. Box 894, Martin, Tennessee
38237. New members will receive a form to fill in and return.
Membership in the Society and sales
of our publications make continued preservation work possible.
All monies generated are used to further the mission of the Society, a
not for profit, (501(c) 3) organization. Contributions to the Society
over the actual $10.00 annual dues are tax deductable.
Material submissions and queries from
individuals are invited for consideration for publication in the
newsletter as space permits, and are available to the public for
research in the Surname/Places Files in our special collections
room. Submission of any and all material is deemed consent
for publication and public viewing, unless otherwise specifically
Current Officers of WCGS:President~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Pansy Nanney Baker
Vice-President~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Janice Cole Crider
Treasurer~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Mary Ann Davis Baxter
Corresponding Secretary~~~~~~~Mary Ann Vowell Rea & Mike Rea
Recording Secretary~~~~~~~~~~~Laurie Heinrichsdottir Pritchett
Researcher~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lois Miller Simmons
E-Mail Directory~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Janice Cole Crider
Please direct all e-mails to JANICE
REFERENCE BOOKS AVAILABLE
1. WEAKLEY COUNTY CEMETERIES.....Through 1978. Compiled by James Buckley Chapter, DAR. 2nd printing, Two Volumes, 1100 pages, indexed, covers over 450 burial sites. Two cemeteries corrected, Sunrise and West Union. Includes covers, 3 holes drilled, will fit loose leaf binders.
Order Cemetery Books
$75.00 plus $5.00 mailing
2. WEAKLEY COUNTY CEMETERIES UPDATE, Compiled by Janice Cole Crider, 1978- August 31, 2000. 3-ring notebook with over 10,000 people listed. Available in printed or CD Rom.
Order Book or CD Rom
$40.00 plus $6.00 mailing
3. PEOPLE AND PLACES OF DOWNTOWN MARTIN, by Virginia C. Vaughan, Weakley. 8 1/2 x 11 1/4, second printing, October 1998 (first printing August 1997). 216 pages featuring hundreds of photos and historical facts of Martin, Tennessee.
Order from: Price
$35.00 plus $5.00 mailing
4. THEY SERVED THE FLAG: The Second World War Veterans of Weakley County, Tennessee, compiled by Richard Saunders and Marvin L. Downing ( Mountain Press). Lists veterans appearing on the War Records Bureau List, additional names appearing in county newspapers (including those who did not serve), and UTJC students and the Navy's V-5 cadets. Cites newspapers noting inductions, obituaries, or discharges, abailable between October 1940 and December 1946.
REMEMBERED Vols. I, II, III
and IV- Compiled by Pansy Baker
*Weakley Remembered Vol. I ,
pages, indexed, includes 1836 Weakley County Map, Specifications of
Weakley County, Col. John A. Gardner Address Excerpts, Weakley County
Grants, 1794-1844, Weakley County Tax List 1828 and 1843, Will Book A
abstracts, 1828-1942, Will Book B Abstracts, 1840-1861 and Guardian
Book “ Book A”.
6. Martin High School, The Passing of an Era, booklet by Pansy Nanney Baker (2010) Compiled for the MHS Class of ’59 Reunion. Check for availability with firstname.lastname@example.org
Schools of Weakley County Tennessee, That Were…, Pansy Nanney Baker
(2010) - history, background, and pictures of 14 schools no longer in
existence, 40 pages, indexed, $16.00 email@example.com
MAY BE ORDERED
1. WEAKLEY COUNTY FAMILY HISTORY BOOK.....384 pages, photos, maps, illustrations. Bound burgundy leatherette cover includes history of Weakley County by Virginia C. Vaughan and more than 700 family histories. $57.50 + 6.00 Shipping
2. WEAKLEY COUNTY TN MARRIAGES - Vol I ... 1843-Sept 4, 1863. 1790 entries, indexed. soft cover, spiral bound. (Reprinted March, 2002) $12.00
3. WEAKLEY COUNTY, TN MARRIAGES - Vol II...Sept 4, 1863-1878, 3,300 marriages, indexed, 146 pages, soft cover with Vel-O-Bind. $12.00
4. WEAKLEY COUNTY, TN MARRIAGES - Vol III...July 9, 1878-Nov. 20, 1886, 1800 marriages, indexed, soft cover, spiral bound. Compiled by Lucille Adams Smith. $12.00
5. WEAKLEY COUNTY 1880 CENSUS........Two volume set covering the 18 civil districts of Weakley County, TN. About 514 pages, Vel-O-Bind with soft covers and surname index. $25.00
6. WEAKLEY COUNTY "FORGET ME NOT" QUARTERLIES ...back issues of the quarterlies are available. $10.00 for 4 (1 year) or $2.50 by single issue. *Remember - you get currant issues of quarterlies with your WCGS membership.
7. WEAKLEY COUNTY, TENNESSEE
I, II, and III now available on CD. Includes all 3 volumes: 1843-Sept.
4, 1863; Sept. 4, 1863-1878; July 9, 1878-Nov. 20, 1886. $40.00
plus $3.00 mailing.
*** Obit BOOKS - ***
WEAKLEY COUNTY, TENNESSEE -
The Weakley County Historical & Genealogy Society is proud to announce the availability of Obituary Books for Weakley County, Tennessee for the years 1964 - 2010. Each book is indexed and contains one year of obituaries.
This is an ongoing project. Books are offered, unbound, without holes.
Prices are as follows:
Orders of less than 10 books and more than one, email Janice Crider for mailing estimates:
Please send orders to the following address:
Weakley County Historical &
Left to Right : Marie Bradberry Bowers, Jean Tilley Bradberry, Pansy Nanney Baker, MaryCarol Schrupp, Janice Cole Crider, Doris Nell Sloan, and Mary Ann Davis Baxter - 2003 - photo by Fred Schrupp
Explaining to the ladies what happened to my hand - Brown Recluse Spider bite - Photo by Fred Schrupp
|June 2010 WCGS meeting - A real
log cabin (restored) on member Lois Simmons' farm on Snake Hill Road,
Dresden. It was built by her Great-Grandfather.
Graphic Designs by