WEAKLEY COUNTY COURTHOUSE
DRESDEN, TENNESSEE

Weakley County Courthouse
P.O. Box 45
Dresden, Tn. 38225
731-364-3646



 
 
 


 
 Judge John A. ROGERS Sr.

Judge John A. Rogers Sr. sitting inside the Weakley County Courthouse, Dresden, Tennessee. This is a good view of how the courthouse looked, sadly it burned in 1948 and the present courthouse was built and dedicated by 1950. Judge Rogers was Circuit Court Judge for Weakley and surrounding counties and a Col. in the Union Army during the Civil War.  We give special thanks to Mary Irvine Kennedy, great granddaughter of John for sharing.

A little History

The first county court was held in the home of John TERRELL and later in the house of Benjamin BONDURANT, at Dresden, up to April,1828. The next session, July, 1828, was held in the new court house. The last term of the court under the name of pleas and quarter sessions, was held in April, 1836, and the first term of the county court proper, composed of the justice of the peace, elected by the people under the constitution of 1834, was held in May, 1836, with Hon. Caleb BRASFIELD, chairman.


The Old Courthouse




 
 
 



The above pictures submitted by Mary Irvine Kennedy
Please give her your thanks..
Irishlace9@aol.com


Georgia Brann in front of the present day courthouse.


BACK to Dresden Page


RETURN to Weakley County Home Page