Search billions of records on


Austin County Obits

Bellville Times
George Louis Slanina, age 61, of Stafford died peacefully on Dec. 20, 2004
surrounded by his family and friends, after fighting mesothelioma for the
past 15 months. 
He was born in East Bernard on June 28, 1943. George earned a Bachelor of
Science in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Houston in 1967. He
also received extensive electrical/electronics/business law college training
at University of Houston.
George worked for almost 38 years in the electric utility business with
varying positions including 17 years in plant construction and operations,
10 years in plant performance and analysis, and almost 11 years as a
consulting mechanical engineer. As a well-respected mechanical engineer,
everyone knew they could turn to George for help troubleshooting a problem.
George, at age 37, was a co-holder and inventor of an electrically operated
damper switch, U.S. Patent number, 4, 243, 174, Jan. 6, 1981. It is a
control apparatus use with home air conditioning units to control the volume
of heated or air conditioned space. This design was unique for its time, as
no other apparatus specifically addressed energy conservation via a program
timed sequence apparatus.
An example of the usefulness of this apparatus: a family could program the
apparatus to switch heated or air-conditioned air from awake time areas to
asleep time areas of the home, and back to awake time living areas
automatically according to their life style. The bypass feature would also
allow a family to indefinitely discontinue heating or air-conditioning an
unused or seldom occupied room.
Always active in the community, George was President and Treasurer of the
Catholic Union of Texas (K.J.T.), Society #133 for numerous  years,
beginning 1987 through present; he also held the position of District
President and district Vice President of District VI. He won the
Fraternalist of the year award in 1994 for all of his hard work and
George started an "Adopt-Tree" program at Holy Family Catholic Church, for
which many oak trees were planted on a loved one's behalf. For the annual
Fall Festival at  his church, he and his wife served as Food and Paper Goods
Chairpersons for seven plus years, organizing many booths and organizations.
George served as the President of the Stafford Athletic booster club for
Stafford High School, the School where two of his daughters attended. George
was also a board member of the fort Bend WCID No. 2 for six and one-half
years. He was also a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
(ASME), the Texas Board of Professional Engineers, and was a Registered
Mechanical Engineer of Texas.
George enjoyed watching his grandson's basketball games, fishing, hunting,
golfing, and telling stories with the boys. He took pride in raising his
three daughters. He coached his daughters' softball and track teams and
taught them to never give up.
It is his strong heart and determined energy that allowed him to fight his
cancer for so long. He actually walked down the hallway of his home on the
day before he died.
He is survived by his wife, Margaret Slanina; his mother, Marie Slanina; his
three daughters, and their spouses, Gina and Chris Nilsen, Sherri and Sean
Slanina-Wertz, and April Slanina. He has two surviving grandsons, Justin
Slanina and William Slanina-Wertz; and one granddaughter, Georgianna
Slanina-Wertz, on the way.
He is also survived by his future son-in-law David Svetlik, and future
grandsons, Tyler and Jordan Svetlik; and his siblings and their spouses,
Marie Kucere, Norbert and Gloria Slanina, Charles and Sylvia Slanina, and
Victor and Vicki Slanina.
He joins his son, Christopher Wayne Slanina, in heaven, who died shortly
after birth.
The family extends sincere appreciation for the special care given to George
by his medical team and M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and the Houston Hospice
Team. The family would also like to thank all of the family and friends for
their prayers, love and support.
Two services were held in celebration of the life of George Slanina. A
rosary was held on Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2004, at 4 p.m. in Wallis at Knesek
and Sons Chapel, with visitation beginning at 3 p.m.
Later in the evening at 8 p.m. a vigil was held in Missouri City at Holy
Family Catholic Church with visitation at 7 p.m. followed by a funeral mass
held  Thursday, Dec. 23, at 10 a.m. A luncheon followed the funeral mass at
the parish hall, hosted by the K.J.T. members. Committal services followed
at Polish/Holy Cross Cemetery on Hwy 6 in Sealy at 3 p.m.
Please send flowers to the Holy Family Catholic Church. In lieu of flowers,
contributions may be made to M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston Hospice,
or Holy Family Catholic Church Building Fund.
Funeral services under the direction of Knesek Funeral Chapels, Wallis.
Posted by Joy Neely


2004  Listing Home Page

Obit Index Listing