alfredbehr
BEHR, (ALFRED) HOUSE
Sisterdale Rd, one mile south of Guadalupe River
Library File #300.006

HISTORY: The very first Alfred Behr home was a small two room frame building. It is still standing and painted red, bringing to mind the olden days. The rock house was built in 1847 and six generations have lived there. Originally there were two rooms, a kitchen and a large bedroom, with a hay loft above. Twenty years later two upstairs bedrooms were added with an outside stairway. The first floor then had a kitchen, dining room, bedroom and parlor. In 1908 a stairwell was built in the dining room for a way to the upstairs. In 1963 the downstairs bedroom was divided to make a bathroom and a laundry room. An overhead "bar room" ceiling fan and light fixtures were added for the comfort of this home. Many people of this family have lived and enjoyed this home from 1847 to 1978. It is reminiscent of the sturdy homes built by German families in this area of Texas.

The picture above is the Alfred Behr Homestead with family members from left to right: Amanda Behr Habenicht; Paula Behr Treiber; Sophie Behr Wollschlaeger; Alfred Behr; Christian Wollschlaeger, brother of Mrs. Behr; Mrs. Andreas Wollschlaeger, Sr., mother of Mrs. Behr; Edmund Behr, and Otto Behr, on horse.

Source: Boerne Public Library files, February, 2000.

Please Press your Browser's Button to Return to Main Page