carstanjenluckenbach

CARSTANJEN-LUCKENBACH HOUSE
264 N. Main
Library File #22
ID# ORIGINAL USE: Home PRESENT USE: Commercial CURRENT OWNER:
OWNERS:Jacob Luckenbach, Werner, J. D. Griggs, H.L. Davis, Sr., Harry Phillip, Rodney Blauvelt LOCATION: Kuhlmann-Ryan Addition Lot #:29 DATE: c1860 Style/Period: German PioneerHISTORICAL DESIGNATION: BHP
BUILDER: Carstanjen CONSTRUCTED OF: Logs-Rock CONDITION: Good DESCRIPTION: Originally a log cabin, another room was added on a higher level. Later another room was added at a still higher level. The log cabin was enclosed in board walls. The original cedar beams are exposed in ceiling.

HISTORY: The house got it's name, "Old Luckenbach House" from Jacob Luckenbach, who on November 22, 1883, retired from his farm in Luckenbach and moved to Boerne. Soon after moving here, Jacob and his wife, Justina, purchased the house from its builder, Rudolph Carstanjen who also built the HALL MANSION. Two unmarried daughters, Emelia and Clara, lived in the house with them, and in about 1890, a grand-daughter, Adele Luckenbach, came to live with them. Adele, then 18 months old, was the daughter of Julius Luckenbach and had come to live with her grandparents upon her mothers's death. She lived there until her marriage to Henry J. Wendler about 1911. Jacob Luckenbach died soon after and his wife followed him in death. After changing hands several times, a Dr. Griggs purchased the house. A retired army major, Dr. Griggs lived there until his death in 1950. Then H. L. Davis, Sr., who owned much of the property surrounding the house, purchased it. Mr. Davis then sold it to Harry Phillip on March 28, 1953. Dr. Jim and Mildred Wyatt purchased the old house from Harry Phillip in 1975. They operated a cosmetic studio and dress shop until recently.
SOURCE : "Old Luckenbach House made new," Boerne Star, Sept. 27, 1979 from files in the Boerne Public Library.

Please Press your Browser's Button to Return to Main Page