VOGT/CLEGG/SAWTELLE HOUSE
221 E. Plant
Library File #38
clegg
Additional rooms
cabin
Original cabin
ID# 20079 ORIGINAL USE: Home PRESENT USE: Guest Rooms CURRENT OWNER: Jim and Cindy Atkins
OWNERS: William Vogt, Luther Clegg, Kathryn Sawtelle. LOCATION: Original Boerne Outlot: #55 DATE: c1860 Style/Period:Pioneer Log HISTORICAL DESIGNATION: RTHL
BUILDER: William Vogt CONSTRUCTED OF: Logs; CONDITION: Good DESCRIPTION: Three rooms connected by dog-trots and a smokehouse to the west of the cabins.

HISTORY: William Vogt was born in Schlesien, Germany in 1826. He married the former Ernestine Neihser of that city in 1850 and they immigrated to America in 1852. The Vogts came through Indianola and first settled at Seguin, but later moved to Boerne in 1856. Here they purchased 39 2/3 acres of land from William Dietert in 1859 and built their first one-room cabin in 1860. As their family grew, more rooms were added to the original structure--all in single file with outside entrances. Mr. Vogt built a two room limestone block house in front of the log cabin in the 1870's, and added more rooms to it before he died in 1912.

Mr. L. B. Clegg, then owner of the Clegg Printing Company of San Antonio, bought the remaining 3.8 acre William Vogt estate in 1919. The Clegg family used it as a country home for many years. They eventually added more rooms to the rock house but retained the log structure in its original state. Mr. and Mrs. William C. Clegg inherited the property. After William died in 1975 his widow, Mrs. Agnes Clegg, moved to the Boerne home where she became an active member of several women's clubs.

The Clegg family sold the property to Kathryn Sawtelle in the 1990's. She was granted a Historic Marker.

Source: Boerne Public Library files.- May, 1999

Please Press your Browser's Button to Return to Main Page