|ID# 73848||ORIGINAL USE: Home/Phillip Hotel Annex||PRESENT USE: Restaurant||CURRENT OWNER: Sue Martin|
|OWNERS: Rudolph Carstanjen, Wilhelmina and Augusta Phillip, Bill Seguin, Gilman Hall, Sue Martin||LOCATION: Kernaghan Addition Lot: #2.27||DATE: 1872 Style/Period: Victorian||HISTORICAL DESIGNATION: BHP|
|BUILDER: Frank LaMotte||CONSTRUCTED OF: Stone, metal roof, long 9x9 windows||CONDITION: Good||DESCRIPTION: Two story stone Victorian, with arched lintel blocks and central keystone over 9x9 windows; classical two story gallery with composite columns, bracketing under eaves, hipped roof; original structure had an upstairs porch facing S. Main, later removed and large colonial pillars added.|
HISTORY: The original home was built in 1872 for the Rudolph and
(Ottilie von Werder) Carstenjen family. Mr. Carstanjen, born in Germany in 1827
immigrated to the United States in 1849. He was one of the nine men who camped
on the site of Boerne in 1849. The Carstanjen's had five children and they lived
in this house for several years before the family moved to their farm near
Wilhelmina Phillip, owner of the Phillip House across the street, bought the home in 1914. Her daughter Augusta inherited the house called "Mansion House" from her in 1927. Augusta and her husband, Henry Graham lived in the home while she managed the hotel across the street, the Phillip House, which she also had inherited. She lived in the house until her death in 1950 after which the house was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Gilman Hall.
In 1978 the house sold to Debbie and Bill Seguin who bought the house for a restaurant. They remodelled and re-furnished the building then opened the restaurant which they called "Circle S Saloon".
Sue Martin bought the building and restaurant. She added on to the building to the back and re-named the restaurant, "Country Spirit".
Source: Boerne Public Library files.- May, 1999
Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Page