|DESCRIPTION: Original structure was two stories above a full basement. The main level served as a general store, the basement was the warehouse (with freight elevator), and the family lived on the second floor. A small 3 bay store designed by Alfred Giles in 1879. Tall segmented arched openings on first floor; two story gallery topped by pressed tin cornice & arched parapet. In 1907 Giles designed a long two story addition|
HISTORY: Prussian native, Frederick August Faltin, moved to
Comfort in 1856 and purchased the general merchandise business from Theodore
Goldbeck. By the late 1870s Faltin's business, which included banking and post
office services, had outgrown the structure and he had architect Alfred Giles of
San Antonio design a new building. Constructed by the noted builder J. H.
Kampmann, the Victorian Italian edifice was completed in 1879.
Later run by Faltin's sons, Richard and August S., the business was sold in 1907 to their brother-in-law, Dan Holekamp, and his sons, Otto and Edgar. That same year an addition to the building was completed. Also designed by Giles, it included second floor space for meetings of fraternal and civic groups, school dances and receptions. In 1968 the property was sold back to the Faltin family.
In 1974, great grandson August restored the upstairs area into two aparments. Ray and Jan Weeks moved to Comfort in 1993 and live in one of the apartments and use the other apartment as a Bed and Breakfast.
The August Faltin building was designated Texas Historical Landmark in 1982.
Source: Boerne Public Library files.
Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Page.