GASS BUILDING-COMFORT MUSEUM
838 High Street, Comfort
Library File #300.017

HISTORY: The limestone-block building was built by J. Gottlieb Lorbeer as a blacksmith shop in 1890. The rock mason worked on the lower level for almost a year, walking to the job each week from Sisterdale (15 miles). The upper level was finished quickly with machinery and was used by Jacob Gass as a residence.

In 1903, Paul Ingenhuett bought the building and used it for storage in connection with his general store next door. The Members of the Literary Social Club, with the able help of Mrs. Paul Ingenhuett, converted the building for use as a private museum in 1933. Her daughter, Paula Ingenhuett, continued to make it available as a museum. For many years it was opened each Saturday by Mr. and Mrs. Guido Ransleben. He is the author of "A Hundred Years of Comfort in Texas". This building was designated as Texas Historical Landmark in 1986.

Source: Boerne Public Library files.

Please use your BACK Button to return to Index.