|ID# NONE||ORIGINAL USE: Home||PRESENT USE: Fire Station||CURRENT OWNER: City of Boerne|
|OWNERS: W.E.Glassell, Ellis Adam, Arthur Howell||LOCATION: Leesch Addition, Lots: #49, 50||DATE: c1925 Style/Period: Colonial||HISTORICAL DESIGNATION: NA|
|BUILDER: W. E. Glassell||CONSTRUCTED OF: Wood, shingle roof, 6x6 windows||CONDITION: Burned down; now Fire Station||DESCRIPTION: Two story frame; porch and columns, screened porch added to north side. Later a one- story room added on to the north side, screen porch removed.|
HISTORY: On the corner of Main Street and Frederick Street this two-story white frame home was built by Janie Adger Glassell in 1927 and designed after the original plantation home which was burned by Sherman in his march through Georgia to the sea during the War between the States. The front porch with its tall pillars was added in 1928, with other additions and screened porches added in the following years when several generations of Glassells came to spend the summers with their grandmother. Mabel and Ellis Adam lived in the house in the early part of the 1950's. They sold to Mayor Arthur Howell and his wife, Dorothy who lived there from 1959 to 1985. The Howell's sold to the Canavan family but tragically the house caught fire and was damaged extensively in 1986. The property was sold to the City of Boerne then demolished and the Boerne Fire House was built on this site.
Source: Boerne Public Library files.- May, 1999
Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Page