Search billions of records on

410 E. San Antonio
ID# 19953 ORIGINAL USE: Home PRESENT USE: Commercial/Home CURRENT OWNER: James &Georgia McDonald
OWNERS: Harz-Hensley-Clouse LOCATION: Original Town Lot: #140-143 DATE: 1881 Style/Period: German Pioneer HISTORICAL DESIGNATION: NO
BUILDER: Ferdinand Harz CONSTRUCTED OF: Native Rock with frame; metal seam roof/ 6 x 6 windowsCONDITION: Good DESCRIPTION:One story stone symmetrical with frame additions on west and north sides; original two door in rock portion is now one door. Small porch added; gabled roof, arched windows with keystone and curved lintel; interior chimney.

HISTORY. Born October 22, 1824 in Saxony, Ferdinand Harz came to America in December 1852, landing at Galveston January 1, 1853, accompanied by a friend, Otto Frederich. He went from Galveston to Indianola, to New Braunfels and then one year in San Antonio where he worked at gardening. From 1854 to 1856 he served as wagon master from Port Lavaca to El Paso, making occasional trips into mining districts of Arizona. From 1861 to 1864 he served the Confederacy as a ranger on the Texas frontier under Col. Jones. He was married in 1861 to Mary Beyer of Bexar County, daughter of Anton Beyer. Mr. and Mrs. Harz raised their three children in this house. There children were: Clara (Mrs. Henry Clemens), Bertha (Mrs. Adolph Weyrick), and Adolph who married Ida Phillip.

Source: Boerne Public Library files.

Please press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to the Main Page