|OWNERS: Richter, Duvaneck, Schaeffer, Kutzer, Williams, Dunbar, Hattier||ADDITION: Original Boerne Outlot LOT: #48||DATE:c1868 Style/Period: German Pioneer|
|BUILDER: Stendebach||CONSTRUCTED OF: Native rock; shingle roof 6 x 6 windows||DESCRIPTION: One story hand-hewn rock, arched windows, keystone & curved stone lintels; hipped roof; originally an L-shaped structure of three rooms; features a 13' x 11' Indian cellar and parlor fireplace with an invisible chimney. Three rooms on side, all wooden.|
HISTORY : This area, known as "Duveneck Hill" with Duveneck
Creek running behind the house, was first recorded in 1868 when Gustav Theisen
sold the property to a family named Elmendorf. Gustav Theissen was one of
Kendall County's earliest property owners. Over the years the property was owned
by several of the well-known Kendall County families: Seidemann, Kutzer and
The 1918 deed record transferring ownership from A. J. Luckenbach to Emil Richter describes the property as "the Clara Schaeffer place." The Richter family lived here for 25 years.
In 1943 Marion Bone Dunbar purchased the property from the heirs of Caroline and Emil Richter. She lived here with her two daughters until about 1955 when she sold to Forrest and Mary Ledlow. They in turn sold to Ronald and Mary Ann Tibbett in 1959. In 1965 Lloyd G. and Eddith Williams purchased the house. Subsequent owners were Paula F. Eells, then Roy E. Thomas and wife, then in 1991, Robert J. Hattier and wife, Sandra.
Source: Boerne Public Library files. Update July, 2007 with pictures courtesy of present owner, Bob Hattier.
Please press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to the Main Page